These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

CONTRADICTIONS in EVE - List them:

Author
Aurelius Valentius
Valentius Corporation
#1 - 2011-10-12 04:05:29 UTC
Greetings,

I was listening to the Voices Podcast and doing some mining (Player v. Rock) and something along the lines of the cast got me thinking about why EVE seems to have some major contradicions that really do shoot it in the foot, and I am sure there are others with some, so for CCP (since there is this new openess with CCCP, er... CCP about communications) it may help to clear of the things that some players are all about with here.

Mine:

1. "TRUST NO ONE IN EVE" - then - "JOIN A CORP or the game sucks basically, and it does, I know I have been solo for 2yrs, but I am odd that way, I like suckage apparently.

2. "We want new players" - then - Rookie ships and starting frigates and cruisers really do look like the crappiest ship in the game.

3. "YOU MUST GO TO NULL TO GET RICH" - then - "TRUST NO ONE", but only can you get there if you JOIN an ALLIANCE...

... right off the bat this came to mind, list you can think of some... enjoy.

Roosterton
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2011-10-12 04:20:27 UTC
"Leet PVPers" who accuse people of being cowards when they don't undock in the face of a crapton of SeBoing arty battleships is a big one.

Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#3 - 2011-10-12 04:22:10 UTC
Aurelius Valentius wrote:
Greetings,

I was listening to the Voices Podcast and doing some mining (Player v. Rock) and something along the lines of the cast got me thinking about why EVE seems to have some major contradicions that really do shoot it in the foot, and I am sure there are others with some, so for CCP (since there is this new openess with CCCP, er... CCP about communications) it may help to clear of the things that some players are all about with here.

Mine:

1. "TRUST NO ONE IN EVE" - then - "JOIN A CORP or the game sucks basically, and it does, I know I have been solo for 2yrs, but I am odd that way, I like suckage apparently.

2. "We want new players" - then - Rookie ships and starting frigates and cruisers really do look like the crappiest ship in the game.

3. "YOU MUST GO TO NULL TO GET RICH" - then - "TRUST NO ONE", but only can you get there if you JOIN an ALLIANCE...

... right off the bat this came to mind, list you can think of some... enjoy.

1. 100% same here. odd thing is CCP announce it in game "Join a Player Corporation" - Yet we know "Trust no one" is the golden rule.
  2. There has been a huge improvement in Rookie training courses offered ingame by Aura and her Pals. I think a new player sees even the most basic ship as "wow". Then they see the other ships and hopefully that captures their interest to stay in Eve.
  3. Null sec to get rich, yet you could swear that highsec is richest by the way some comments in these forums are made. You should never, ever send a newbie into Nullsec.

I'm not sufficiently creative this morning to come up with any of my own thoughts on this, need my coffee Big smile

Cheers.

Disposeble Alt
POCO Holdings Interplanetairy
#4 - 2011-10-12 06:10:29 UTC
A backstory that describes even poor pod pilots as rich beyond believe, when compared to planetairy population. VS Minmatar CQ

An occular implant discribed as common VS sale price of roughly 1.2B isk
(that same implant described as common VS it being a higher trier item for the nex shop)

Infantry Armor, ground vehicle, etc prices (dust demo) VS fully fitted combat space ship prices (frigates)

There seems to be no idear or design behind how wealth scales, all prices set seem random and haphazzard.
Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2011-10-12 06:12:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Lyris Nairn
Thorn Galen wrote:

Null sec to get rich, yet you could swear that highsec is richest by the way some comments in these forums are made. You should never, ever send a newbie into Nullsec.

I disagree entirely.

Our alliance very frequently sees brand new players, less than a week old, become billionaires as a result of donations from other members, the preponderance of alliance subsidized programs catering to newbies, and the wealth of opportunities that anyone with the right information can exploit. Access to a group of friends, a wealth of data that documents much more about the game than the game itself does, and mentoring towards effectively doing whatever it is they want to do is how you make newbies feel welcome, keep them interested in the game, and see to their success.

You get those things from a player corporation, not from going it alone. I mean, by all means, if you want you can certainly mine Veldspar or run Level 1 missions in high-security space for a few hours to finance your first Cruiser, then continue to slowly grind your way up from the bottom as you beat your head against a wall trying to figure things out for yourself; or, you can pod jump out to nullsec (or wherever your particular alliance or corporation lives) and enjoy the multiplayer experience. I wish that I had been in Goonfleet from day one, when I first picked up this game, instead of floating around, lost and confused, in a Merlin wondering why I kept dying during any mission against Sansha's Nation or the Blood Raiders. The truth is that a brand new player, with an established corporation or alliance to guide him, can make more ISK and have more fun in a week than a clueless idiot bumbling his way blindly through high-security space can make by himself in a year.

Sky Captain of Your Heart

Reddit: lyris_nairn Skype: lyris.nairn Twitter: @lyris_nairn

Thorn Galen
#6 - 2011-10-12 06:24:11 UTC
Lyris Nairn wrote:
Thorn Galen wrote:

Null sec to get rich, yet you could swear that highsec is richest by the way some comments in these forums are made. You should never, ever send a newbie into Nullsec.

I disagree entirely.

Our alliance very frequently sees brand new players, less than a week old, become billionaires as a result of donations from other members, the preponderance of alliance subsidized programs catering to newbies, and the wealth of opportunities that anyone with the right information can exploit. Access to a group of friends, a wealth of data that documents much more about the game than the game itself does, and mentoring towards effectively doing whatever it is they want to do is how you make newbies feel welcome, keep them interested in the game, and see to their success.

You get those things from a player corporation, not from going it alone. I mean, by all means, if you want you can certainly mine Veldspar or run Level 1 missions in high-security space for a few hours to finance your first Cruiser, then continue to slowly grind your way up from the bottom as you beat your head against a wall trying to figure things out for yourself; or, you can pod jump out to nullsec (or wherever your particular alliance or corporation lives) and enjoy the multiplayer experience. I wish that I had been in Goonfleet from day one, when I first picked up this game, instead of floating around, lost and confused, in a Merlin wondering why I kept dying during any mission against Sansha's Nation or the Blood Raiders. The truth is that a brand new player, with an established corporation or alliance to guide him, can make more ISK and have more fun in a week than a clueless idiot bumbling his way blindly through high-security space can make by himself in a year.

In retrospect, I have to agree with you. My point of view though is that I have nothing to offer a big Corp at this point in time, until I have a decent skillset. My learning experience by "going it alone" thus far has, to me at least, proved to be an invaluable experience. I am however close to the point where I can start looking around and applying for membership to a Corp. I'm sure you know it's a minefield out there, with Corps catering for all tastes. Some are attractive, others are a joke. I need to be able to make an informed decision as to which Corp I would like to be a member of.

I have been reading (very carefully and more than once), the requirements for SA Forums. That makes so much sense to me, the way it is implemented and executed. I like the style and what goes into those forums. I should probably follow the instructions and sign-up and then post and wait. And wait.

Cheers.
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2011-10-12 06:40:48 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
My point of view though is that I have nothing to offer a big Corp at this point in time, until I have a decent skillset.

The only person who has nothing to offer is a person who is not willing to offer anything.
Nyio
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2011-10-12 06:46:01 UTC
Customer Support
Thorn Galen
#9 - 2011-10-12 06:56:34 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Thorn Galen wrote:
My point of view though is that I have nothing to offer a big Corp at this point in time, until I have a decent skillset.

The only person who has nothing to offer is a person who is not willing to offer anything.

Glib, very easy to say that and try feel smug about it. Got anything intelligent to contribute or are you always this moribund ?
I's like saying "this tomato is red, therefore it is not an orange" - Using your semantic logic.
Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#10 - 2011-10-12 07:00:33 UTC
Get CCP to hire GMs or roleplayers to run the npc corps as real entities to at least do something.
Thorn Galen
#11 - 2011-10-12 07:03:33 UTC
nah, I'd rather join a well-run Corp.

ThisIsntMyMain
Doomheim
#12 - 2011-10-12 07:07:12 UTC
Contradiction ...

Complex Game

Played by Retards
Gealbhan
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#13 - 2011-10-12 07:14:14 UTC
Intelligent Design.
Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2011-10-12 07:29:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Florestan Bronstein
you can cooperate with other people and even place assets at risk of being destroyed/stolen without trusting them, true story.

"Trust no one" is about your expectations, not about your actions. It's no problem to put yourself into a position where all your assets might be stolen. But if you feel genuinely betrayed while this happens you've been doing it wrong all along.

It's pretty much the same as "Don't fly a ship you can't afford to lose". You are welcome to fly ships you can't really afford to lose in a financial sense (e.g. can't replace, make up the majority of your assets, ...) but you should never fly a ship you can't emotionally afford to lose (ragequit etc).

"Trust no one" and "Don't fly a ship you can't afford to lose" both come down to "Be aware of the risks you take and take them willingly", not "Don't take any risks".
Lukriss
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2011-10-12 07:33:24 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Thorn Galen wrote:

Glib, very easy to say that and try feel smug about it. Got anything intelligent to contribute or are you always this moribund ?
I's like saying "this tomato is red, therefore it is not an orange" - Using your semantic logic.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/goonswarm%20recruitment/PinkFlagg/Eve/everyshipcounts.jpg

Just gonna leave that here.
Thorn Galen
#16 - 2011-10-12 07:41:20 UTC
@Lukriss

Thanks for the pic link, gets the message across perfectly.

I also wrote :-

"I have been reading (very carefully and more than once), the requirements for SA Forums. That makes so much sense to me, the way it is implemented and executed. I like the style and what goes into those forums. I should probably follow the instructions and sign-up and then post and wait. And wait."

I -will- sign-up this evening when I return home from the office.
We'll let matters stand there. From there, I can only wait (oh, and post there).

Cheers.
Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2011-10-12 07:54:08 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
Lyris Nairn wrote:
Thorn Galen wrote:

I disagree entirely.

In retrospect, I have to agree with you. My point of view though is that I have nothing to offer a big Corp at this point in time, until I have a decent skillset. My learning experience by "going it alone" thus far has, to me at least, proved to be an invaluable experience. I am however close to the point where I can start looking around and applying for membership to a Corp. I'm sure you know it's a minefield out there, with Corps catering for all tastes. Some are attractive, others are a joke. I need to be able to make an informed decision as to which Corp I would like to be a member of.

I have been reading (very carefully and more than once), the requirements for SA Forums. That makes so much sense to me, the way it is implemented and executed. I like the style and what goes into those forums. I should probably follow the instructions and sign-up and then post and wait. And wait.

Cheers.

If you join SA to get into Goonswarm, then you will be waiting a while. But while you wait, be sure to actually take part in the forums, both because you won't get in unless you have a few hundred posts to your name and because otherwise you'll likely find yourself in a space guild filled with a culture that you don't understand or like. So far as actually being useful to a corp, I disagree that it requires any specific skills. Propulsion Jamming I, Afterburner III, High Speed Maneuvering I and Minmatar Frigate III give you a tackling Rifter which is useful in any size of fleet.

Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2011-10-12 07:54:54 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Thorn Galen wrote:

He basically just said what I told you, only in more concise form.

Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#19 - 2011-10-12 08:20:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Tallian Saotome
Dam you people who think you need skills to come out to null, WE NEED UNSKILLED PILOTS!!!!

For the last week, half the fleets I have been in have kinda sucked due to lack of fast tackle, for the simple reason that what noobs are out there are afraid to look unskilled in a rifter. Get in fast tackle, and get out here to help us(which ever corp/alliance/faction you like, I've seen this in opposing fleets too), and if you find yourself liking the tackle roles, you can always skill in that direction.

Without the experience out here tho, you will never know WHAT you need to train to be effective in a fleet, and will keep thinking you need more.

Edit: I've been doing a bit of recruiting lately, and most pilots who join up find themselves in a rifter anyway, since they aren't trained for the doctrine fleets they need to fly anyway.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Rico Minali
Sons Of 0din
Commonwealth Vanguard
#20 - 2011-10-12 08:23:25 UTC
BIggest contradiction: The whiners complaining that ccp needs to not concentrate on WiS and get on with FiS, then when ccp do exactly that they start whining about ccp changing direction back to FiS...

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

123Next page