These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

General tanking resists.....

Author
Rictus Muerte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-08-06 15:26:48 UTC
Quick question for more experienced pilots.

I see the real strength in fitting specific hardeners for the enemy you are fighting, but I am just now getting my skills to where I can have right at (or over) 70% to all 4 at once on my armor. If I continue my training, and up to Tier 2 items, i can see 75% or so, maybe 80%. Is this enough to run level 4 missions without swapping my hardeners each time? I know on some runs, they do omni, so i leave it balanced and it works anyway. So won't this also be fine for other runs?
Cadfael Maelgwyn
Doomheim
#2 - 2012-08-06 15:44:08 UTC
Honestly, being lazy about it never ends well.

The only factions you may need to worry about omnitanking are Angels, Zazzmataz, The Seven some Mercenaries, and maybe drones.

It's been a while since I last missioned, but focusing on two damage types generally ends better. Don't be lazy.
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#3 - 2012-08-06 15:55:36 UTC
For L4s, use specific hardeners.

Also, here is a better sub-forum for this sort of question: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=248
A search might have answered your question quicker.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Soi Mala
Whacky Waving Inflatable Flailing Arm Tubemen
#4 - 2012-08-06 16:00:14 UTC
You'l need specifics for most missions i'm afraid.

Good thing bots aren't sophisticated enough to examine mission details and switch hardeners yet...
Josef Djugashvilis
#5 - 2012-08-06 16:22:03 UTC
I once forgot to use the correct lvl 4 mission hardeners.

I managed to get away.

Not a mistake to be repeated.

This is not a signature.

Gaktern Flagg
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-08-06 16:31:31 UTC
You want specific hardeners for missions. While a lot of missions could be done without them, I find that you won't have enough tank if you omnitank and you'll either pop or have to warp out a few times to complete the missions. That's with great skills though, with only moderate skills you probably wouldn't even be able to complete some missions that way just for lack of being able to kill things before they eat through your tank.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#7 - 2012-08-06 16:32:51 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
Don't listen to the naysayers. I lazytank my Tengu all the time. Mostly because it's built for shooting sleepers and I don't bother to refit it on the rare occasion I make another play at grinding some standings.

edit: and my shield tanking skills are terrible. But improving.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-08-06 16:40:31 UTC
Alright,now that you've got your resists in order,let's talk about how many damage mods you've got on.
Chokichi Ozuwara
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-08-06 16:42:29 UTC
I omnitank my Tengu and run level 4s all the time.

Tears will be shed and pants will need to be changed all round.

Large Collidable Object
morons.
#10 - 2012-08-06 16:44:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Large Collidable Object
When I ran some l4's, I was too lazy to switch hardeners most of the time - wasn't much of a problem using a simple T2 omnitank (I'm cheap, so I never 'pimp' ships).

However, I wouldn't recommend doing it with a low-skilled character and some simple T1 BS - I personally used a Machariel most of the time (damage is your tank anyway), sometimes a Rattlesnake (insane tank out of the box), Nightmare (damage projection with T2 tachs), Paladin (T2 resists and rep bonus), Vindicator (what's dead can't shoot you - similar to mach) or Sleipnir (T2 resists, tanking bonus and relatively low sig radius).

Considering T1, an Abaddon, Maelstrom or Hyperion should work without much of problem if decently skilled - personally only remember doing L4's in a T2 omnitanked Abaddon and that was in Amarr space and with quite poor skills on an alt I needed to grind standings for, but the others should work as well - can't really comment much on Caldari T1 BS since I've never owned any, but it should work.

Of course you could also use a Tengu, I've never flown one (I dislike the ship), but from what I've heard and seen, you'd have to work to manage getting killed by mission rats in one of those things.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
highonpop
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2012-08-06 16:44:46 UTC
Tank for whatever you're running. Don't omni tank PvE without the skills to do so

/russian accent
You will have very bad day.

FC, what do?

Superterrier
#12 - 2012-08-06 21:56:55 UTC
If you're new, don't try - when you know what you're doing and feel confident, just fly what's most effective.
Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-08-06 22:08:37 UTC
there is allot of guides and also use only 2 resist module this is better than 4. Just to search what kind of enemy the have and use the resist module for it this will boost your tank and perhaps perma tank them.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#14 - 2012-08-06 22:21:57 UTC
deadspace x lows never need to be changed.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Urgg Boolean
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-08-06 22:24:49 UTC
I always build omni tanks. The goal is an Incursion quality tank :: omni with all resists @70+. Very doable for a bunch of different ships, not all of the smaller ships.

When building your tank, watch your sig radius. <200 for cruisers and <500 for BS's. A good sig radius and and Incursion quality tank make missions very survivable. The guys who say you need faction specific hardeners probably have a sig radius that's too big, so they get hit more often and harder, thus requiring more faction specific resists.

Now, DPS - you always want to swap in faction specific DPS because the mission NPCs do not build omni tanks ... mostly.
Rictus Muerte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-08-07 16:24:03 UTC
Right now I can hit 70%+ across the board in my Mymidon. I run some T2 stuff, as i have focused on getting my armor tank skills up. MAR II is loaded, and I run active hardeners. Everything cap stable, with Tier 2 Light and Medium drones. My goal is lev 4 in the specific hardener skills before jumping up to Battleship, but right now, I seem to survive even the worst assaults without swapping my hardeners.

If I double on a target resist, i jump to 88% or so.

I wont AFK them however, i fly smart and control range and transversal as much as possible. Just wondering if this will carry easily to level 4's is all.

Thanks for the great feedback.
Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#17 - 2012-08-07 17:32:23 UTC
According to a big chunk of people in this thread, I've been not ending well for several years. I've never bothered to fit faction specific tank. Hell I've never bothered to fit faction specific damage. I never bothered to upgrade to the next best thing in pve goodness ship wise, I still run the same Navy raven and Raven with the same build on each mission since 2010.

Simply put, if you are even half awake, you'll get through the mission. T2 is more than adequate for pve, just learn what the trigger ships are so you can control aggro.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Lilliana Stelles
#18 - 2012-08-07 17:42:37 UTC
I've run L4s omni-fit.

Though I did it in a speed tanked machariel. The actual tank is only around 350tps, but I rarely took hits.

It really depends.

Not a forum alt. 

Senghir
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2012-08-07 17:46:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Senghir
You can get away with it in most missions if your stats/skills are good enough.
There are some that might give you trouble if you make a mistake like hitting a wrong trigger.

I overtank my Paladin and have got no end of crticicism about how I could be shaving off 4 minutes per mission or something if I fit for more heat sinks. But then I've never once lost a ship in a solo level 4 mission since 2007, and I can leave my computer to deal with the kids, or make a cup of tea etc, and come back to an intact ship.

Basically dont be lazy, as others have said. A lot of people who want to show you how big their epeen is today will say how they can do it no problem, or as long as you pay attention it's fine. That's true, but is probably combining a bit of intelligent targeting, manoeuvring and kill ordering.
If you disconnect though, or hit a wrong trigger ship, or have someone scan you out, aggress the room and warp off (lol), then you might be in trouble.

Better safe than sorry :)