These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

90% of PVP happens at gates. THAT'S that problem.

First post
Author
Mocam
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#101 - 2012-08-04 08:03:46 UTC
Lin-Young Borovskova wrote:
Darek Castigatus wrote:
[
Yeah because low sec entities never hot drop with 10+ BO's/reccons a single ship, hell I saw hot drop on a single command ship with those + supers...so funny indeed, wow, that's great stuff.

And?

So because you saw it once its automaticly normal for lowsec, dont be ******* stupid. I can make the exact same claim about every major null sec alliance and guess what, it still means nothing!!

That exactly the point. Whatever arguments you (in general) make about the fact "OMAGAD LO SEC IS DED" is as pointless as the example I gave, but just like you (in general) served my argument. And no I haven't saw this only once, lived enough time in low to see this happen very frequently.

There's absolutely nothing starting by whatever argument that clearly shows low sec will be less populated, the only thing it shows is that some form of combat will be heavily hit, and that form is the roaming gangs.
If you read some decent and actually true pirates about this, they will tell you they don't gate camp and still have good fights and good prey witch only means those self proclaimed *pirates* because they're -10 moaning without true argument are just as bad as those carebears they hate so much.

So in the end, the true problem and the only one deserving strong attention is roaming gangs and how this will affect travelling abilities for those real pirates. This yes, I feel concerned about, not about all the moaning and bitching from -10 pubbies feeling bad boys just because they killed in less than 10 sec 20 (or whatever number) shuttles and those alt pods to look badass, those can die and quit I don't give a crap and Eve will just be better without them.

The bulk of your lowsec dwellers have low sec status; -5 on down. With that, these changes are a non-issue for roaming fights between the bulk of your lowsec residents.

It's legal to shoot any -5 on down and gate-guns won't interfere. This was done by EVE University a while back and seen as an "unfair advantage' -- high sec status folks running a lowsec camp -- they could, with impunity, engage the residents without the sentries coming into play but the reverse? The guns would nail them for attacking "innocents".

The only question on it is a potential problem -- repair of a criminal flags you. So if 2 criminals are around, one damaged from a fight and his corp mate/buddy reps him up near a station or gate -- with the gate guns open fire on the logi pilot?

Odder "funky" mechanics issues like that have cropped up before.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#102 - 2012-08-04 08:38:02 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:

Okay genius, where should people fight in low sec then?

You can't drag people into bubbles in low sec so the only places fights can happen is gates and stations (docking games are fun?).

Ps. ganking mission runners isn't legit pvp.

This is the issue.

The proposed change doesn't "fix" anything, it serves no purpose and just decreases PVP in lowsec.

Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#103 - 2012-08-04 08:56:47 UTC
Darek Castigatus wrote:
[
Yeah because low sec entities never hot drop with 10+ BO's/reccons a single ship, hell I saw hot drop on a single command ship with those + supers...so funny indeed, wow, that's great stuff.

And?

So because you saw it once its automaticly normal for lowsec, dont be ******* stupid. I can make the exact same claim about every major null sec alliance and guess what, it still means nothing!!

That exactly the point. Whatever arguments you (in general) make about the fact "OMAGAD LO SEC IS DED" is as pointless as the example I gave, but just like you (in general) served my argument. And no I haven't saw this only once, lived enough time in low to see this happen very frequently.

There's absolutely nothing starting by whatever argument that clearly shows low sec will be less populated, the only thing it shows is that some form of combat will be heavily hit, and that form is the roaming gangs.
If you read some decent and actually true pirates about this, they will tell you they don't gate camp and still have good fights and good prey witch only means those self proclaimed *pirates* because they're -10 moaning without true argument are just as bad as those carebears they hate so much.

So in the end, the true problem and the only one deserving strong attention is roaming gangs and how this will affect travelling abilities for those real pirates. This yes, I feel concerned about, not about all the moaning and bitching from -10 pubbies feeling bad boys just because they killed in less than 10 sec 20 (or whatever number) shuttles and those alt pods to look badass, those can die and quit I don't give a crap and Eve will just be better without them.

Since I never made any of those arguements im going to ignore that bit of your post.

Funnyly enough an arguement I have been making in other threads about this is basicly what you put in your second paragraph. Stop making assumptions about people who disagree with you, you might find it helps.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

flakeys
Doomheim
#104 - 2012-08-04 09:34:27 UTC  |  Edited by: flakeys
Proletariat Tingtango wrote:
flakeys wrote:
It's amazing how the rest of the game thinks in a different way than I do. I have absolutely no sense of attachment or fear of loss or risk. If I lose a ship, I lose several millions sure, then I have to buy a new clone and fit a new ship, but big ******* deal?

Are all of these pirates seriously running around with pods and ships they can't afford to lose? What's wrong with you people. Stop being girly-men. Engage your target and fight to the death. If you lose your officer-fit rifter and 10b pod, that's your dumb-ass mistake not mine.

So , as with the last null guy who showed the way to small gang piracy i'll just burst the bubble of this char too.

Battleclinic shows 119 kills of wich the largest portion was 50 to 200+ people on the killmail and the smallest i believe was a dramkill with 3 people. Not one single kill on your name , not even for a damn cyno kessie.

Regarding how you don't mind loosing crap as you say: 33 losses of wich the most expensive is a blackbird - you know the 5 mille isk ship - and all the rest are rifters and pods.

Now if you want to come in here and show the pirates how to properly pvp and compare it to your own awsomness then by all means post with a character that HAS a decent killboard showing his 1vs1 or 2vs1 fights and if possible low-sec kills would even top it offf to prove your point.

So as i told the other guy too , go to low-sec ALONE or with 2 to 3 friends at most and try it for a month and see how many kills you'll get that are not on the gates.Your small gang fleets are 30 guys , for a pirate fleet that's massive.Unless you have another char wich HAS pvp'd in low-sec you have absolutely no frikking idea what you're talking about.

And yet again just to re-iterate : i am not a pirate but these types of posts are just too hilarious/sad and full of air.

God, why am I humoring you?

That killmail report sounds like it hasn't been updated in a while. I can't navigate that ****** battleclinic site though so I can't say for sure, but here's the facts as I know them (I know them pretty well): I don't go on 100+man gang fleets anymore, and I haven't for months. I podjump a lot, so there's that. I've only done frig roams lately and guess what? I don't have a shooting role in them. My job is to turn on my point and web and let other guys do the shooting. I'm not going to have any kills to my name and I'm completely OK with that. I'm happier knowing I'm the ******* who going a point on you than the one who deals the killing blow. Also, most goons don't give a **** about their K:D ratio and can't be arsed to upload a KM half the time. We link the in-game kill, laugh at the "elite pvp" idiots we pop, and move on. Now that we can see the value of a ship and a pod without uploading a killmail anywhere, I can see how my stats might be more anemic than they really are/

I would argue this game isn't really balanced around 1v1 stats or 3-man gang fights, either, but I'm sure my interceptor would lose on its own versus most things.

You're also not seeing all the deaths I don't have. I throw my ships around like they're worthless and I end up NOT DYING most of the time. It's weird how that is, but it might have something to do with not being an idiot. My insurance keeps running out on my interceptors and drakes and it kind of sucks I'm not dying more, honestly. Maybe I would if these mythical elite PvPers with epic battleclinic reports would grow a sac and engage a bunch of mostly T1 frigates, I would die more.

Sad truth is they're mostly a bunch of KM, K:D ratio whoring little children who are afraid to have "death by rifters" show up on their precious killmails.

The reason your not dying is not weird , it's because you're engaging way outnumbered oppononents .And the reason again why you don't care about those losses , i mean besides being the cheapest ships around , you are also under an alliance level ship reimbursement programm DUH.

So in short , you don't have experience in low-sec small fight .Ok thanks for proving the point i was making.Now try it for a month and then tell me how ideally it worked out to hunt players in low-sec not using gates.

Nullsec is totally different from low-sec and if you have no experience in it then don't tell them how they should do it and how easy it is while your lasy ass resides in the biggest alliance in eve with the biggest coalition to back it up with only a bunch of blobkills on your name.

And by all means if you do have these solo or 2vs1 kills wich where not on bc then use your api and throw them on bc to prove how wrong i am.They don't even need to be low-sec alone as i am sure not even in nullsec where you dont have problems with gateguns ******* you up you have not made many 2vs1 or 1vs1 kills if at ALL.

Balls in your court , come on prove me wrong PUBBIE ....

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Maledictum Aideron
In Praise of Bacchus
#105 - 2012-08-04 10:34:00 UTC
It's amazing how the rest of the game thinks in a different way than I do. I have absolutely no sense of attachment or fear of loss or risk. If I lose a ship, I lose several millions sure, then I have to buy a new clone and fit a new ship, but big ******* deal?

Are all of these pirates seriously running around with pods and ships they can't afford to lose? What's wrong with you people. Stop being girly-men. Engage your target and fight to the death. If you lose your officer-fit rifter and 10b pod, that's your dumb-ass mistake not mine.

WUT? LIEK SRSLY?! NO WAI!!11 I CNAT UFORD 2 LOOSE MAH SLEIPNIR!!!11
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#106 - 2012-08-04 18:33:35 UTC
I don't think that there is a problem with people being risk averse, it's more to do with the fact that you can get enough rewarded without risk. So why would you put yourself in harms way running a low sec complex when you can afk min and run level 4 missions any time you want in HS?

Low sec needs to be as different to high sec as w-space is to null.
Bunolagus
NIPTO
#107 - 2012-08-04 18:43:11 UTC
Tara Read wrote:
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:
If you turds would just get off gates and hunt like REAL pirates, there wouldn't be a need to change the way gates work in low. Stop hugging gates to gain an advantage (because your 93843 million ISK ship going after that cheaply fit Rifter wasn't good enough) and get your asses out there and destroy ships in SPACE. Get off your front porch, you whiny pussies.

I'm a goddamn new player that immediately went to lowsec space to carve out my niche. Even I'M not ***** enough to sit at a gate. I hunt when I'm feeling froggy. You veterans sitting around at the gates make my teeth itch. Get off the gates and join the rest of the world.

Sigh.... You see it's really not that simple and I admire your attitude and agree. The underlying issue really is the "hunt" you speak of. Targets in Low Sec are becoming more and more scarce. With less interest in the systems you hunt in where are said targets?

The underlying issue isn't people camping gates (even though a majority of people only do that) it really is the problem of having little to no targets whatsoever.

Many corps and alliances in low actually go to null to hunt only to find themselves quickly out manned and outgunned which leaves a bitter taste in peoples mouths. You really want to get those pussies off the gates? Give them a big juicy mouse to catch.

Don't you see that gate camps are the reason you have no targets. Why should I try to venture into lowsec if I have such a high chance of getting caught in a gate camp? You have chased away the prey and then use it as an excuse to chase away more.
Boudicca Arbosa
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#108 - 2012-08-04 19:28:55 UTC
blobbing =/= gatecamping
flakeys
Doomheim
#109 - 2012-08-04 19:33:46 UTC
Bunolagus wrote:
Tara Read wrote:
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:
If you turds would just get off gates and hunt like REAL pirates, there wouldn't be a need to change the way gates work in low. Stop hugging gates to gain an advantage (because your 93843 million ISK ship going after that cheaply fit Rifter wasn't good enough) and get your asses out there and destroy ships in SPACE. Get off your front porch, you whiny pussies.

I'm a goddamn new player that immediately went to lowsec space to carve out my niche. Even I'M not ***** enough to sit at a gate. I hunt when I'm feeling froggy. You veterans sitting around at the gates make my teeth itch. Get off the gates and join the rest of the world.

Sigh.... You see it's really not that simple and I admire your attitude and agree. The underlying issue really is the "hunt" you speak of. Targets in Low Sec are becoming more and more scarce. With less interest in the systems you hunt in where are said targets?

The underlying issue isn't people camping gates (even though a majority of people only do that) it really is the problem of having little to no targets whatsoever.

Many corps and alliances in low actually go to null to hunt only to find themselves quickly out manned and outgunned which leaves a bitter taste in peoples mouths. You really want to get those pussies off the gates? Give them a big juicy mouse to catch.

Don't you see that gate camps are the reason you have no targets. Why should I try to venture into lowsec if I have such a high chance of getting caught in a gate camp? You have chased away the prey and then use it as an excuse to chase away more.

No they haven't.I see this one come up every time.

As said it is VERRY easy to avoid losses at gatecamps to start with in low-sec.So it's not like the gatecamps are the reason no one ventures into low-sec.The reason is there is just no frikking reason to go to low-sec and take any risk even if it is a small one because there is allmost nothing that makes it worth it.

Gateguns do not need alteration , the damned low-sec itself does for years and years and years and once again CCP shows they do not care for those that live in low-sec but for those who wish to travel with ease THROUGH it.

Come on i don't live in low-sec and even i can see that , why are so many of you blind to it ?

Boudicca Arbosa
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#110 - 2012-08-04 19:37:05 UTC
flakeys wrote:
Bunolagus wrote:
Tara Read wrote:
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:

As said it is VERRY easy to avoid losses at gatecamps to start with in low-sec.So it's not like the gatecamps are the reason no one ventures into low-sec.The reason is there is just no frikking reason to go to low-sec and take any risk even if it is a small one because there is allmost nothing that makes it worth it.

Gateguns do not need alteration , the damned low-sec itself does for years and years and years and once again CCP shows they do not care for those that live in low-sec but for those who wish to travel with ease THROUGH it.

Come on i don't live in low-sec and even i can see that , why are so many of you blind to it ?

I don't know if that's true, man. I hear all the time on these forums and in game about people not wanting to go to low BECAUSE of gatecamping. Plain and simple. The ppl gatecamping won't admit that they're the reason there's no one in lowsec, but they are. That's all there is to it.
Aooz
Doomheim
#111 - 2012-08-04 19:37:24 UTC
Rordan D'Kherr wrote:

that actually gets a +1

Really?! It actually gets a plus one? As opposed to not getting a plus one? It actually got one? This is exciting.
flakeys
Doomheim
#112 - 2012-08-04 19:47:20 UTC
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:
flakeys wrote:
Bunolagus wrote:
Tara Read wrote:
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:

I don't know if that's true, man. I hear all the time on these forums and in game about people not wanting to go to low BECAUSE of gatecamping. Plain and simple. The ppl gatecamping won't admit that they're the reason there's no one in lowsec, but they are. That's all there is to it.

Then those people either never been to low-sec or had a bad encounter wich in 90% of the time is their own stupidity.I have solo pirated a lot of times in the last years every now and then in low-sec and frequently go through it for some trade stuff and besides the choke point entries -just like with nullsec - it is easy to travel through.I have made big losses in those times but they where losses i choose to risk not because it was hard to avoid those engagements.Most people who have experienced low-sec gateganks are those who travelled through rancer-amamake ... that's like jumping into ecp and making that experience your standard view on null gatecamps.

As i said in another response , try and play a solo or small gang pirate yourself in low-sec and do not kill anyone at the gates.Then check after a month how many kills you have made in that time and what that means with your kill number /spent time ratio.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#113 - 2012-08-04 19:54:25 UTC
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:

So "real" pirates ignore the chokepoints with the highest traffic density and trawl round empty space hoping they get lucky and wander into someone's safespot?

Interesting.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Butzewutze
Doomheim
#114 - 2012-08-04 19:56:50 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:

So "real" pirates ignore the chokepoints with the highest traffic density and trawl round empty space hoping they get lucky and wander into someone's safespot?

Interesting.

Seems like real piwats have to hunt the many other juicy ships in lowsec then... erm wait...
Garreth Vlox
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#115 - 2012-08-04 20:02:08 UTC
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:

I would love to kill someone in a belt you mouthy little ****, but since there is no ******* reason for someone to go to a belt or a planet or anywhere else besides a station or a gate in lowsec because the space is just short of useless, that's the only place you can find a kill unless you find that one guy who actually runs lowsec missions.

The LULZ Boat.

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#116 - 2012-08-04 20:44:21 UTC
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:
I hear all the time on these forums and in game about people not wanting to go to low BECAUSE of gatecamping. Plain and simple. The ppl gatecamping won't admit that they're the reason there's no one in lowsec, but they are. That's all there is to it.

People talk a lot and these people are generally ignorant and just making excuses. They hear about how there are gatecamps EVERYWHERE and you die on the first jump-in and rather than actually going out there and experiencing the truth for themselves, they believe and then pass on the bullshit that is fed to them,

Yes some gates are notorious but there are always alternative routes that avoid them. People that don't have a clue just die to the obvious hotspot on the system map and then decide that their one easily avoided death confirms there are indeed gatecamps everywhere while it simply isnt the truth.

You admit to being new to the game but try to speak as an authority figure with much experience. I suggest you climb down off your high horse and get some experience under your belt before coming in here and sounding like a fool.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Boudicca Arbosa
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#117 - 2012-08-04 21:21:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Boudicca Arbosa
Lady Spank wrote:
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:
I hear all the time on these forums and in game about people not wanting to go to low BECAUSE of gatecamping. Plain and simple. The ppl gatecamping won't admit that they're the reason there's no one in lowsec, but they are. That's all there is to it.

People talk a lot and these people are generally ignorant and just making excuses. They hear about how there are gatecamps EVERYWHERE and you die on the first jump-in and rather than actually going out there and experiencing the truth for themselves, they believe and then pass on the bullshit that is fed to them,

Yes some gates are notorious but there are always alternative routes that avoid them. People that don't have a clue just die to the obvious hotspot on the system map and then decide that their one easily avoided death confirms there are indeed gatecamps everywhere while it simply isnt the truth.

You admit to being new to the game but try to speak as an authority figure with much experience. I suggest you climb down off your high horse and get some experience under your belt before coming in here and sounding like a fool.

Can't avoid all of them. Having only a -3.1 can make your life hell. Earlier I had to make some jumps to get a ship contracted to me as I couldn't go into 7's. Gate in the area is camped all day/everyday by the same 5 people. If I avoid that system, it takes me through green areas, where I will get pummeled by CONCORD. If I don't avoid it, I most certainly will get camped to hell.

Not to mention that "pirates" usually gatecamp HEAVY gates with HEAVY traffic. It doesn't matter if there are 98273498234 gates with only 1 being camped. If that ONE being camped is heavily traveled, it's "rewarding" to the pvp pros. You want RISK v. REWARD in lowsec, that's fine. I agree. But there should be risk in AFK gatecamping as well.

So I logged out.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#118 - 2012-08-04 22:22:30 UTC
Lol. You don't get 'pummeled' by concord just for flying in high sec and you can indeed travel through those systems despite Navy aggro if you know how. Again, a little research and experimentation on your part will make you a more educated player.

It's plainly obvious from your first post here that you are unaware of some pretty simple game mechanics and that is my point entirely. Learn about what you are talking about before you start trying to claim facts.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Soi Mala
Whacky Waving Inflatable Flailing Arm Tubemen
#119 - 2012-08-04 22:46:09 UTC
Kryss Darkdust wrote:
like the balls

Lol
Boudicca Arbosa
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#120 - 2012-08-04 23:01:39 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
Lol. You don't get 'pummeled' by concord just for flying in high sec and you can indeed travel through those systems despite Navy aggro if you know how. Again, a little research and experimentation on your part will make you a more educated player.

It's plainly obvious from your first post here that you are unaware of some pretty simple game mechanics and that is my point entirely. Learn about what you are talking about before you start trying to claim facts.

Oh. You're one of THOSE players in EVE. Got it.