These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I Realy want a Mother Ship! CSM notes

Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#21 - 2012-08-04 01:00:22 UTC
Gogela wrote:
There are a lot of problems with your mothership idea within the context of the POS revamp. One of the goals is to give people their own little home outside of stations. No matter how you work it, a mothership is fundamentally a personal asset. Yah you can allow others to rummage through the corp hanger, when the mothership pilot is logged in... but it's not always there when you need it and the corp as a group can't really do much with it. Having your POS stuck in one place for 48 hours makes it vulnerable, too. A mothership just wouldn't scale properly. I think, from what I've read of the CSM minutes, that CCP and the CSM are on the right track.

I know what you are saying, but again, a Mother Ship would actually be designed and function more like a POS that is mobile than a cap ship.
To move it, or deploy it, any higher level function other than what your average pilot does when docking at a station... you would need the appropriate corp roles. It wouldn't be "somebodies ship" that only one person can control when online, it would never disappear from space,. It would be a permanent item like an outpost that anybody can use, but you need certain roles to do the more important things (set fee's, add new modules/abilities, move, anchor).

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Shameless Avenger
Can Preachers of Kador
#22 - 2012-08-04 01:50:54 UTC
Are we talking about a jumping POS?

"This is the Ninja. He will scan you down; he will salvage your wrecks and there shall be no aggro"

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#23 - 2012-08-04 01:54:30 UTC
Pretty much, yes.

Something Greyscale said he'd love to do some day.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#24 - 2012-08-04 01:59:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
So a jumping Deathstar with invulnerability timers.

I assume balanced by the cost? Rare?

It would be shield tanked ... how many guns can you fit on it?

Large guns would be good for killing the subcaps while the even larger sizes might be less practical for sieging since jumping about isn't as easy as with Titans (and if a fleet dropped on it, you have reinforce).

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

wingm4n
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2012-08-04 02:01:36 UTC  |  Edited by: wingm4n
Was there a reason why corporations or alliances couldn't group all their buildings together to create cities in space?

Something like this for Starbases would be an awesome way to create REAL market districts in EVE.

Not only that but it'd make the prospect of one alliance/group of corps building up a pretty heavily fortified area in null space, then with the potential for another group to try and attack and/or overthrow/****/pillage these districts from time to time..

I'd rather the above before WiS tbh.

Edit: And by group I don't mean one building per moon or planet. I'm talking 25-50 KMs apart where you can fly and dock into the different specialty stations.
Shameless Avenger
Can Preachers of Kador
#26 - 2012-08-04 02:04:25 UTC
SO... instead of a cargo/freighter caravan of ships going trough low sec and setting up the base, I could set everything up in high-sec and jump the whole thing?

"This is the Ninja. He will scan you down; he will salvage your wrecks and there shall be no aggro"

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#27 - 2012-08-04 02:04:49 UTC
wingm4n wrote:
Was there a reason why corporations or alliances couldn't group all their buildings together to create cities in space?

Something like this for Starbases would be an awesome way to create REAL market districts in EVE.

Not only that but it'd make the prospect of one alliance/group of corps building up a pretty heavily fortified area in null space, then with the potential for another group to try and attack and/or overthrow/****/pillage these districts from time to time..

I'd rather the above before WiS tbh.

Edit: And by group I don't mean one building per moon or planet. I'm talking 25-50 KMs apart where you can fly and dock into the different specialty stations.

POS guns can shoot further than players can target, right? 400km or something on the big ones? Imagine the kind of concentrated fire, it could shred titans maybe.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#28 - 2012-08-04 16:58:27 UTC
Shameless Avenger wrote:
SO... instead of a cargo/freighter caravan of ships going trough low sec and setting up the base, I could set everything up in high-sec and jump the whole thing?

that would be interesting.. because you are not supposed to have cap ships in high sec... so perhaps... these would be constricted to low and null and w space...

i mean having a xl pos (mom) would make it imposible to kill right?

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Oswald Banecroft
Muteki Imperium
#29 - 2012-08-04 16:59:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Oswald Banecroft
MeBiatch wrote:
Shameless Avenger wrote:

that would be interesting.. because you are not supposed to have cap ships in high sec... so perhaps... these would be constricted to low and null and w space...
What do you think a freighter is?

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#30 - 2012-08-04 17:04:01 UTC
Oswald Banecroft wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
Shameless Avenger wrote:

its a non combat ship...

plus it can go threw stargates... how many cap ships can claim to do that?

Oswald Banecroft
Muteki Imperium
#31 - 2012-08-04 17:04:58 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Oswald Banecroft wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
Shameless Avenger wrote:

its a non combat ship...

It is still classed as a capital ship and it is allowed in high sec.

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#32 - 2012-08-04 17:07:05 UTC
Oswald Banecroft wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
Oswald Banecroft wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
Shameless Avenger wrote:

its a non combat ship...

It is still classed as a capital ship and it is allowed in high sec.

semantics.

though i would not mind a freighter sized ship that uses large mods on it but can fit capital weapons... like a t3 but for caps... that way high sec poses would be in trouble...

Garreth Vlox
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2012-08-05 00:34:43 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Quote:
Seleene said, "I want to cloak my secret pirate starbase." Greyscale said that might be a possibility, then shocked the entire room by mentioning offhand, "I really, really, really want to let you put a jump drive on them." The whole room erupted into smiles. He then continued, "Not just right click cyno jump, but you put a beacon down and it takes something like 48 hours before you jump." He wanted to do this to allow small gangs to have a roaming base.

Good idea but making a Mothership instead is even better one!

heck why not make a xl size modular pos that is actually a Mother Ship?

i dont think small medium or large should have a jump drive but i do think a Mother Ship should...

what do you guys think?

I've wanted them to add a useful non-OP mothership style device like the one described for a long time.

The LULZ Boat.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#34 - 2012-08-05 02:51:26 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Shameless Avenger wrote:

i mean having a xl pos (mom) would make it imposible to kill right?

Better yet, make it require sov to build, just like supercaps.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#35 - 2012-08-05 02:57:14 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:

Better yet, make it require sov to build, just like supercaps.

works for me.

Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#36 - 2012-08-05 03:04:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Messoroz
Dear nubs including Greyscale,

Want a mobile starbase for small gangs? Get a C5 wormhole. It's what we do and our killboard is green errday. Also we won the AT from our elite small gang pvp.

C5 wormholes have more null sec connections than anything else and you will never go without one. Plus you get occasional highsec connections to resupply. Not only do you get POSes you literally have an entire mobile solar system as the connections constantly change.
Anya Ohaya
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#37 - 2012-08-05 04:14:48 UTC
I always liked the motherships from Homeworld. Basically they're stations that can jump. They can't move or fight very well, but they can assemble and repair fleets of ships, even capitals.
Radius Prime
Tax Evading Ass.
#38 - 2012-08-05 11:57:06 UTC
Don't want it to be just a mobile POS.. Seen enough posses already to be bored with them. And what's cool about a space station that is completely outscaled by a titan. This should be an installation on a totally different scale. Able to manufacture and allow to dock supercapitals, provide anything a capsuleer could want. Something that can give an entire alliance a goal to work towards. Manufacturing time should be off the scale as well. We are not playing wow here. No need for instant gratification; could take 2 years and trillions to build one. Such a feat of teamwork would really distinguish eve from any other MMO in history. Imagine the publicity for the game as well. Who wouldn't give this Titan of a game a shot just to see what it is all about. People need dreams, if ccp provides them they will be around forever. Nothing wrong with a gaming corp or it's player base being ambitious.

Reopen the EVE gate so we can invade Serenity. Goons can go first.

Nevermore Akiga
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#39 - 2012-08-05 13:15:52 UTC
Just gimme the Atlantis City and i can dive into the ocean and sent drones to kill all things around the system.
And i definately will activate the cloacking divice.
Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#40 - 2012-08-05 13:26:21 UTC
Would be kewl methinks... but could you imagine a few of these puppies blobbing in a system?

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!