These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

C&P, this pertains to YOU

First post First post
Author
Zagdul
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#101 - 2012-08-04 05:27:30 UTC
MrWhitei God wrote:
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Especially to all you low sec residents - GET IN TOUCH WITH ME ABOUT THESE ISSUES.

As Greyscale said, this is on the table for discussion, nothing is final. I understand many are rightfully concerned about the gate changes, and personally I think there's some outstanding player proposals surrounding GCC and sentry guns that are worthy of consideration.

I'll be taking point on this stuff myself, along with Alekseyev Karrde, no doubt. It matters too much to me not to monitor the progress here with a magnifying glass. Don't be afraid to throw us some walls of text in an email if you have something on your mind!

Hans: the guy that helped kill lowsec roaming
or
Hans: Glorious saviour of lowsec

They took our jaorbs!

I got no problem with ramping up sentry dps over time, but I think it would be better if the dps reset on mutual fights

There needs to be something to make the outcome of a fight not depend on who shot first.
Otherwise it will become the 0.0 fights i remember where two fleets in the same system and no action because it was certain death for the guys that had to warp to the grid.

Hey guise. Lets put pvp flags in the game so we can shake hands before we engage in gentlemanly combat and by doing so, CCP will shut off the guns. Big smileBig smile

wut ya think guise? Big smile

Holy crap, we're playing the same game here right?

The cold dark harsh one... where things just aren't fair. If the objective is to get caps off gates, like triage carriers, then put capital turrets on the gate guns that have horrible tracking so BS/BC's need to move around.

I mean, it's not rocket surgery to just give the gate guns in low sex similar mechanics to those of pos modules where tracking, sig radius and other game mechanics THAT ALREADY EXIST and WORK come into play.

There, the... problem? is now fixed!

Dual Pane idea: Click!

CCP Please Implement

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#102 - 2012-08-04 06:25:35 UTC
Daemon Ceed wrote:
[...]

Are they trying to push us out to null to become cannon fodder for ego freaks and tech serf lords?

[cynicism]

One might just wonder, eh?

[/cynicism]

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Tang0 one
Doomheim
#103 - 2012-08-04 07:59:39 UTC
Musashibou Benkei wrote:
@Greyscale

As we, the general public, are not privy to things that CCP tells the CSM and nor are they allowed to disclose whatever they aren't allowed to disclose, you can hardly call "throwing them ideas" an excuse that this idea has been pitched from way back.
Also, which of the CSM members have a serious interest in protecting or promoting low sec activity? Correct me if I'm wrong but the CSM seems to be a collective of people that are pre-occupied with protecting either high sec or null sec interests. Chairman included.

As the wise Lord Maldoror once said; "I find that when you succeed, it's often because you're able to bring the right tool to hand and when you don't; it's generally for not having the presence of mind to find it"

Low sec 'static' gate camps are one of the easiest things to break up exactly because of their static nature and open information to ship types. This would allow prospective attackers to prepare accordingly and have the upper hand when they do strike. Otherwise, you could say that it's the sandbox working as intended when people don't use scouts.

Triage carriers and more recently, tracking dreads, are wild cards that low sec pirates generally keep hidden until necessary. Incidentally, these 2 ships are used by the party with less numbers than the opposing side by bringing the capital advantage to gain the upper hand.

There are currently plenty of supers in the game owned by what seems like every second person who lives in null sec. If these "hardcore" 0.0 players wanted to take part in low sec parties, then surely they have the required tools to take down the capital threat.

EVE is slowly approaching a point where, since nothing (at least, not many) new is being inserted into the game, more and more players are reaching the high SP levels where they can pilot all ships and use all mods/weapons. The previous expansions of old continually introduced new content which kept the players fresh in training new things and keeping a mystique about what someone might bring or what role something actually plays.

Perhaps CCP should start looking more seriously into the new content; such as ring mining or new ships classes, instead of breaking things that were fine before. Do you really want to be branded as an idiot for making the SAME mistake twice, Greyscale? *cough* Unified Inventory *cough*

This guy for csm chairman
Mag's
Azn Empire
#104 - 2012-08-04 08:32:23 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
The general thinking behind this potential change (and again, it's just general thinking, we've not seriously reviewed it yet) is to try and break up "static" gatecamps a little and generally *discourage* hanging around on a gate all day.
Why?

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Elias Greyhand
#105 - 2012-08-04 08:55:57 UTC
Mag's wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:
The general thinking behind this potential change (and again, it's just general thinking, we've not seriously reviewed it yet) is to try and break up "static" gatecamps a little and generally *discourage* hanging around on a gate all day.
Why?

Because... He has to justify his paycheck?

"That which is done cannot be undone. But it can be avenged."

Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#106 - 2012-08-04 09:44:12 UTC
Musashibou Benkei wrote:

Also, which of the CSM members have a serious interest in protecting or promoting low sec activity?

I do. I'm happy to take the lead on this particular issue, and be a focal point for feedback on the both the gate gun idea and crimewatch changes in general. Many of you have already started to mail me some great proposals, and I really appreciate those taking the time to actually discuss this and not simply vent. You can spent the next few months pissed off and calling Greyscale names, or you can just talk to me personally about this stuff. I'll leave it to each of you to decide what you think is a better use of your time.

I've explained a bit more about the situation in a couple posts I'll link below (to avoid redundancy), I hope this clears up a lot of questions people have about the meeting, the minutes, and my alleged "inaction".

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1744078#post1744078

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1744217#post1744217

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Mag's
Azn Empire
#107 - 2012-08-04 09:51:26 UTC
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
I do. I'm happy to take the lead on this particular issue, and be a focal point for feedback on the both the gate gun idea and crimewatch changes in general.
The fact that you said absolutely nothing at the time, worries me greatly. Not one word came from anyone but Aleks, who said it would be great.

This alone, makes many of us very distrusting of your sudden need to jump on this bandwagon.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Zagdul
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#108 - 2012-08-04 09:55:19 UTC
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Musashibou Benkei wrote:

Also, which of the CSM members have a serious interest in protecting or promoting low sec activity?

I do. I'm happy to take the lead on this particular issue, and be a focal point for feedback on the both the gate gun idea and crimewatch changes in general. Many of you have already started to mail me some great proposals, and I really appreciate those taking the time to actually discuss this and not simply vent. You can spent the next few months pissed off and calling Greyscale names, or you can just talk to me personally about this stuff. I'll leave it to each of you to decide what you think is a better use of your time.

I've explained a bit more about the situation in a couple posts I'll link below (to avoid redundancy), I hope this clears up a lot of questions people have about the meeting, the minutes, and my alleged "inaction".

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1744078#post1744078

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1744217#post1744217

Most of the words in both those posts talk about you.

You are already elected into a position dude. Now, stop being a politician and take a side on the matter.

Either back the concept or go to bat for your constituents. Grow a pair.

Dual Pane idea: Click!

CCP Please Implement

Rivur'Tam
the united
#109 - 2012-08-04 10:23:32 UTC
Daemon Ceed wrote:
I can already hear the screaming and slapping of wives coming from The United. households. Those gate hugging nubs are gonna be PISSED! Bahahahaha!

look how what you typed conflicts with your sig

moron

[b]Inappropriate signature removed. Spitfire

^^ my sig was awesome that naugty spitfire stole it for himself true story

United Recruitment Director.[/b]

Scion Lex
United Mining and Hauling Inc
The Initiative.
#110 - 2012-08-04 10:56:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Scion Lex
I have given this alot of thought in the last day or so and, initially, I was totally outraged like a lot of other pirates. Then I realized that this isn't about piracy as much as its about gate camps. CCP hasn't come out and said this but the psychological barrier of gate camps and piracy is literally costing them money and players. I know people who have never played eve and part of the reason they don't is because of pirates and gate camps.....and they have never even seen one. I think its stupid, but if a lot of people really feel that way then I guess something has to change in order to expand the game at large. Roll Keep in mind I think this is a psychological issue, not an actual game mechanic issue.

During fanfest I remember them sort of harping on where people live in the game. They showed a chart of the Lowsec, Highsec, Null and Wormhole populations. Then they went on to talk about how 'we' needed to be nicer to the new players because....well they quit. And think about it who do they run into first? Pirates....and we are merciless. So the perception is that you can't even get in the door of lowsec cause Pirates are sitting on the gates 24/7...which is flat out not true. CCP, clearly, wants to remove that psychological barrier by removing gate camping. I think its that simple.

I'm not a big gate camper myself. I'd rather catch them with their pants down at a customs office or in an Anom/site. If there are more people that 'feel' like they can come to lowsec then I can do that more often. I don't think this idea is fleshed out and, therefore I do not support it. Yet, I think I understand where they are comming from. Its about money, increasing the population and keeping people in the game....which goes back to money.Oops

If no other aspect of the game changes along with the removal of gate camping THEN we have a serious problem. Again this is psychological. Just because you remove gate camps doesn't mean they will come. Education is the answer to that.
ANGRY23
Safety Set To Red
Train Wreck.
#111 - 2012-08-04 12:04:56 UTC
Scion Lex wrote:
I have given this alot of thought in the last day or so and, initially, I was totally outraged like a lot of other pirates. Then I realized that this isn't about piracy as much as its about gate camps.

Gatecamping is piracy. Piracy is a career path in eve online according to CCP. If the devs namely greyscale fixed what was broken in thier game before trying to add useless content the majority of the player base doesnt want or need then CCP would be living up to what they claim to be aiming for. Right now they are talking the talk but they still aint walking the walk, i thought incarna was enough and things were looking up and CCP were actually listening to the playerbase again and not just sticking in useless content regardless of the feedback from us the players who at the end of the day pay these guys wages through subscriptions.

I challenge any of you to find content added to the game in the last 5 years that encourages ppl to take the piracy career path. Its a hard pill to swallow for older players who have subbed multiple accounts for over 6 years just to see CCP constantly nerf thier playstyle. Eve needs to be balanced but cmon, we got stabs, cov ops frigs, cruisers andhaulers, mwd cloak trick, drones are useless, sentry guns, system avoidance tool, target breaker modules and even a micro jump drive coming soon to contend with before we even think about engaging anything. Are those not enough of a disadvantage before we even undock and shoot anything without adding even more content that gimps what we do.

Oh and we got the CSM fighting our corner too and saying nothing when these ridiculas ideas are tabled by CCP. The CSM should represent ALL playstyles of eve online but right now apart from one guy i see no interest from the rest unless its about thier prefered style of play. Seriously whats the point of claiming to be a voice for us the players if u say nothing when something arises that doesnt directly affect your prefered style of play. I see lots of effort from the CSM writing blogs and going on radios for inerviews ect but thats just making yourself look good and is useless if u sit silent when issues or idiotic ideas are tabled by CCP.

I urge the pirate community to come together regardless of our differences and what we think of each other and be one loud voice against the nerf after nerf after nerf to our dying playstyle. We been promised low sex loving for over 5 years and i dont see anything not related to FW that encourages PPL to take up piracy in eve online.

I have created a channel for like minded corps/alliance to discuss the crusade by ccp to kill piracy. Join ingame "Stop the Rot"

Angry23

Scion Lex
The Initiative.
#112 - 2012-08-04 12:11:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Scion Lex
Mane Frehm wrote:
Sigh - I can appreciate that some folks in this thread are frustrated. That being said......

Being passionate about something is great, but personal attacks are a childish waste of time and will in no way get you what you want. I can tell you that if anyone threw that kind of crap at one of my developers, the "ignore" button would be used.

So identify your concerns and make your points - but do it in a reasonable/rational manner. You have a far better chance of getting your voice heard.

I dont entirely agree with this notion and I'm sorry to single your post out Mane.

But who is paying these people? Isn't it us? The fact that some people, including myself, are enraged by the fact that something NO ONE thought was broken is being tinkered with (even in theory) shouldn't surprise anyone. I think CCP needs to address the actual issue....though I'm not sure they can. Not because they aren't smarting enough, but because I don't think its something that can be coded away. You can't remove fear and stigma with code and THAT is the problem with lowsec. Yes you can change the mechanic but not the mindset. Thats just not how it works. People will still be afraid to go to lowsec and pirates will still prey on those that are inexperienced in combat. The only way to get that experience is to do it.

If the CSM or CCP wants to improve lowsec then that is what they have to address. The best way to do that is to educate the population. Put out a guide. A step by step "read this and you will survive" guide with CCP's big fat logo on it. Do that and they will come in droves. Your issue is that new players are not transitioning to lowsec or beyond. Then teach them how. You made this game wonderfully complicated...painfully complicated. When you added the turtorials I was impressed. Implementing the skills and certs system was a brilliant move. This falls well short of that brilliance.

Don't nerf the game, buff the players. Sponsor the creation of a complete and comprehensive combat guide that will be available to every player. Gather all the minds from say EVE U, RvB and others and make that knowledge available to everyone. That is the only REAL way to address your long term concerns CCP. These organizations exist because they are addressing a need. A need that is really CCP's responsibility. You can't expect players to spend all their time teaching the next generation...thats your job not the communities. They only do it cause you haven't....not that I have ever seen. Combat is the one thing that everyone wants to learn and isn't sure how. I had to spend many many hours out of game just to figure it out. People have tried to write complete guides, but we have jobs and live and it IS a lot of work. CCP should be putting out the guides. CCP should be making the videos. You want the game to be more accessible then do it by putting out more information. Ya, your gonna have to pay for it to some extent. But if you work with the community to create these resources and stand behind it that will do more for the game than any coding change ever will. Invest in your players, don't nerf the product.
Scion Lex
The Initiative.
#113 - 2012-08-04 12:31:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Scion Lex
ANGRY23 wrote:
Scion Lex wrote:
I have given this alot of thought in the last day or so and, initially, I was totally outraged like a lot of other pirates. Then I realized that this isn't about piracy as much as its about gate camps.

Gatecamping is piracy. Piracy is a career path in eve online according to CCP. If the devs namely greyscale fixed what was broken in thier game before trying to add useless content the majority of the player base doesnt want or need then CCP would be living up to what they claim to be aiming for. Right now they are talking the talk but they still aint walking the walk, i thought incarna was enough and things were looking up and CCP were actually listening to the playerbase again and not just sticking in useless content regardless of the feedback from us the players who at the end of the day pay these guys wages through subscriptions.

I challenge any of you to find content added to the game in the last 5 years that encourages ppl to take the piracy career path. Its a hard pill to swallow for older players who have subbed multiple accounts for over 6 years just to see CCP constantly nerf thier playstyle. Eve needs to be balanced but cmon, we got stabs, cov ops frigs, cruisers andhaulers, mwd cloak trick, drones are useless, sentry guns, system avoidance tool, target breaker modules and even a micro jump drive coming soon to contend with before we even think about engaging anything. Are those not enough of a disadvantage before we even undock and shoot anything without adding even more content that gimps what we do.

Oh and we got the CSM fighting our corner too and saying nothing when these ridiculas ideas are tabled by CCP. The CSM should represent ALL playstyles of eve online but right now apart from one guy i see no interest from the rest unless its about thier prefered style of play. Seriously whats the point of claiming to be a voice for us the players if u say nothing when something arises that doesnt directly affect your prefered style of play. I see lots of effort from the CSM writing blogs and going on radios for inerviews ect but thats just making yourself look good and is useless if u sit silent when issues or idiotic ideas are tabled by CCP.

I urge the pirate community to come together regardless of our differences and what we think of each other and be one loud voice against the nerf after nerf after nerf to our dying playstyle. We been promised low sex loving for over 5 years and i dont see anything not related to FW that encourages PPL to take up piracy in eve online.

I have created a channel for like minded corps/alliance to discuss the crusade by ccp to kill piracy. Join ingame "Stop the Rot"

Angry23

Your right, but the heart of my post is the psychological impact of piracy. I do not think that can be overstated. I think CCP HAS to be called out on this. Because, if I'm right, then a major drive to educate the next generation of players on how to pvp is the only answer. Not just the mechanic of pvp, but solid tactics based on experience. This comes down to the massive learning curve that is EVE. Its legendary. There are complete guides for every other aspect of eve except lowsec pvp and how to deal with it. If they exists they are not out in the open for NEW PEOPLE TO FIND. I also think its key that CCP put their stamp on it and post it as a pdf. Even better, intergrate it into the game. Without that its just another random guide that won't be taken seriously. It needs to be taken as seriously as any other "official" guide. It should be about pvp combat ONLY and should be clearly marked as such. I truly believe that is were they should put there efforts. We can't allow this game to become wow. We have the best players on the planet because of the challenging enviroment presented here. Give them the tools they need and they will step up.
Sorceror Majiir
Doomheim
#114 - 2012-08-04 12:41:49 UTC
Karl Planck wrote:
thought about whining about this in GD but this seems like a more contructive place. Now i have been following the proposed crimewatch changes for quite some time (while i haven't encountered it in years nuetral reps always seemed ret*rded). Read over the minutes today and about sh!t my pants

CSM minutes wrote:
CCP Greyscale moves on to explain his work on sentry guns. Sentry guns will now shoot anyone with a criminal flag, suspect or otherwise. Sentry guns will also start with smaller amounts of damage, and ramp up with time. Ideal tuning will be to where triage carriers will die at around 4 1/2 minutes. This way, if you want to use triage carriers in lowsec on gates you can, but you must commit to the cycle for a length of time before starting your reps, if you want to deactivate triage before the sentry guns kill you and jump out. CCP Greyscale also points out that another goal is to make it so that the first couple of hits won't kill an interceptor immediately, enabling a quick tackle, and then a warp out.

Before i overreact to this, am i crazy or is idea 100% pants-on-head ret*rded? This came out of nowhere, just seems like something Greyscale pulled right out of his arse. Even more there was NOTHING said by the CSM. i mean, how the hell did that not just leap out at them. Evil

Edit: just to be clear, i'm pissed because this seems like the biggest lowsec nerf i have ever heard of

FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!!

Does look like there's still some room for perps to do their stuff, just have to work a little harder. The criminal flag bit should be entertaining to watch. My guess would be CCP is trying to make low sec more accessible. Smart move.
Sorceror Majiir
Doomheim
#115 - 2012-08-04 12:53:09 UTC
Scion Lex wrote:

We can't allow this game to become wow. We have the best players on the planet because of the challenging enviroment presented here. Give them the tools they need and they will step up.

Yeah, heaven forbid CCP would try to incorporate some innovative ideas from the most successful company in the history of online gaming.

Relax, EVE will never be wow, but that doesn't mean it has to be playable by middle aged gaming geeks only. Who have countless hours to review and perfect their gaming knowledge. Some of us only get a few hours online a week and don't want to spend those getting roasted at a gate so some other guy can 'enjoy' his game experience.
Scion Lex
The Initiative.
#116 - 2012-08-04 12:58:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Scion Lex
Sorceror Majiir wrote:
Scion Lex wrote:

We can't allow this game to become wow. We have the best players on the planet because of the challenging enviroment presented here. Give them the tools they need and they will step up.

Yeah, heaven forbid CCP would try to incorporate some innovative ideas from the most successful company in the history of online gaming.

Relax, EVE will never be wow, but that doesn't mean it has to be playable by middle aged gaming geeks only. Who have countless hours to review and perfect their gaming knowledge. Some of us only get a few hours online a week and don't want to spend those getting roasted at a gate so some other guy can 'enjoy' his game experience.

There is nothing innovative about cloning EQ1 and then dumbing down, making it pretty and riding the back of tolken...again.
But Blizzard does put out OFFICAL GUIDES for thier games that cover more than just game mechanics, are well thought, well written and easy to get a hold of. CCP needs to do this for the exact reasons you just mentioned. It will help deal with the massive learning curve of this game without entirely removing it. I think its a reasonable compromise.
Sorceror Majiir
Doomheim
#117 - 2012-08-04 13:10:17 UTC
Scion Lex wrote:
Sorceror Majiir wrote:
Scion Lex wrote:

There is nothing innovative about cloning EQ1 and then dumbing down, making it pretty and riding the back of tolken...again.
But Blizzard does put out OFFICAL GUIDES for thier games that cover more than just game mechanics, are well thought, well written and easy to get a hold of. CCP needs to do this for the exact reasons you just mentioned. It will help deal with the massive learning curve of this game without entirely removing it. I think its a reasonable compromise.

Yeah I agree about the guides, though there is a lot of content online these days, just have to poke around for it. I don't play wow much, but there's no denying they are making bank. I think it's a smart move on CCP's part to compete in the market as a whole, it's a big universe, plenty of room to do what you want in Eve. Adding something to help low sec travel is a great way to get people out of high sec, will increase perps targets, perhaps getting them off the gates and into roid fields, etc to kill that unsuspecting and helpless target. besides this doesn't really stop a HIC from grabbing you, so whats the big deal.

Scion Lex
The Initiative.
#118 - 2012-08-04 13:18:13 UTC
Here's a prime example of what im talking about:

http://www.eve-guides.com/
-everything you need to carebear it up....nothing on pvp.

-http://www.eveproguides.com
videos, but you have to give them an email for the first vid....not sure what that leads too.

-Youtube
Lots and lots of videos, but most are pirates and experienced pvpers and would probably intimidate the hell out of a new player. The ones that are teaching you stuff are a bit hard to follow imo.

-Isk guide
if you read it you know it speaks in generalizations on the subject of pvp and isnt that helpful

CCP-
A PI vid and a exploration vid and they do both poorly.

-The Beginners Guide to Piracy
http://community.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=936500
Probably the best guide out there and its STILL incomplete

We can do better than this and CCP needs to have a direct hand in it to see that its completed. That is if they are serious about promoting EVE and solving the lowsec issue. You have to get the information in the hands of the players. As said above not everyone has the time or the motivation to seek this stuff out. Make getting the info easier, not the game.
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#119 - 2012-08-04 13:56:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Bloodpetal
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Just to clarify a few points, given that this thread seems to be the only one that's not gone off the deep end already:

• First and foremost, this is an idea we were spitballing at the time and ran past the CSM just to see what their reaction was. It's still "in the design" right now, but that part of the design isn't going to get implemented for a while, and there will be further discussion with the CSM and the community before that happens. The CSM minutes are *NOT* a devblog, please don't treat them as such Smile

Hey again.

I understand that this is all design stage stuff. So, let's talk about design and stop worrying about what was said.

Personally, I think we have to go back to the basics when it comes to why do we have Sentries? I really haven't seen an answer that tackled in a good way. Let's look at WHY we have them and look at what results they create.

#1, Sentry guns are clearly designed to deter aggression on gates and stations as a form of soft policing in low sec.

#2, Sentry Guns fill a "lore/role" play purpose by making low sec feel more like a part of empire space than the lawless parts of 0.0 space.

#3, Sentry guns make it somewhat safer for smaller ships to move through low sec on a general day because you can't have fast interceptors last too long (I have seen them used though), and the typical gate camp isn't equipped for super fast locking (remote sensor boosters, etc, etc), but some major camp locations are --I'm looking at you Amamake.

What should be the major design goals of a Sentry gun rewrite?

#1 - Fresh Pros vs Cons for Pirates and Travellers

For Pirates :
Pros - Easier to get fights, less interference from sentry guns on low sec vs low sec scuffles
Cons - Make it difficult to interfere with high sec day trippers.

For Travellers :
Pros - Still be able to get past some gate camps in a frigate/small frigate. Should not be total travel lock out as with warp bubbles.
Cons - Promotes the idea that Evil Pirates are in low sec enough that they're still a bit scared of low sec being dangerous.

---
So, basically, my ideal gate gun system wouldn't interfere with me when I'm doing my day to day PVP vs other pirates/low seccers (even if they're not -5). But would give some protection against other travellers.

It would deter certain kinds of gate camps (interceptors, etc)

On a fringe case, when there ARE carriers/titans, etc on the Stargate, maybe THEN add the escalating DPS to deter heavy logistics RR and capital ships on the Stargates for "static" gate camps such as Amamake.

The major issue with changng the sentry guns in low sec is there is no other place for us to "Get a fight" on a typical day. And on top of it, we have to deal with Sentries being a pain in the ass (already). And then you're designing for a fringe issue which will basically wallop the **** out of any non-capital ship.

We don't have warp bubbles in low sec. And we want to get fights. So how do you recommend that we do this? You aren't going to "Fix" the low sec population issue by stopping the killing going on, and fixing it that way is the WORST way to fix low sec "population issues anyways.

And on TOP of it, it sounds like you're going to have sentries be hitting ALL red/flashies for the some damage at all times and escalating(Rather than a rotating limited damage model as right now).

Major design flaws in the escalating DPS of sentry guns :

#1 - They don't take into account that a typical big fight can and will last longer than 10 minutes, and you're just applying more NPC interference to our player interaction sandbox.

#2 - The fight goes from being a matter of combat tactics on the defender (non-GCC), to a matter of scramming the ship with the sentry guns so they can't warp away until uBerDPS takes over (this happens somewhat alright, but rotating sentries make it difficult).

#3 - The "warp out to reset aggression" is a broken model due to #2 and warp scrams.

To address specific things :
Quote:
The thinking specifically with carriers was that it'd be an interesting dynamic that you had to essentially "pre-commit" with a triage carrier, by dropping into triage, waiting 30-40s

We don't drop carriers on Stargates. We definitely do NOT triage them. Do not implement ideas that force specific mechanics as "cool dynamics" for us. Lay the rules down, we'll play ball.

As well, noone ever ever EVER does this, and noone will SUDDENLY start doing this. Low Sec dwellers don't Triage Carriers on gates. If there was even a pattern of behavior that indicated this fine, but seriously, we don't do it. You ever heard of Pandemic Legion hot dropping **** for ***** and giggles? Ya, we don't do this because of super caps, because carriers are huge freaking targets. And because we don't have billions of ISK of income to throw away in low sec.

Quote:

I agree with this design element mainly for major gate camp places. /me glares at Amamake. When PL puts 8 freaking titans on a stargate and doesn't give a **** because they know noone will **** up their day (even if they kill a titan, a la Wolfsbrigade, they'll laugh off the loss). This becomes stupid.

But honestly, by and large, MOST low sec entries aren't perma-camped. They just seem that way because of Murphy's law. And it's nothing that a scout can't work around. And then you'll just have pirates sitting at tacticals off the gate with an interceptor tackle waiting for the targets to jump in.

So, do I think it's a horrible idea? no. But just work it into a bigger concept for carriers/capitals specifically.

Where I am.

Butzewutze
Doomheim
#120 - 2012-08-04 14:03:54 UTC
Xylorn Hasher wrote:
Zagdul wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Just to clarify a few points, given that this thread seems to be the only one that's not gone off the deep end already:

• First and foremost, this is an idea we were spitballing at the time and ran past the CSM just to see what their reaction was. It's still "in the design" right now, but that part of the design isn't going to get implemented for a while, and there will be further discussion with the CSM and the community before that happens. The CSM minutes are *NOT* a devblog, please don't treat them as such Smile
  • "Suspect" is an aggression flag, and has nothing to do with sec status
  • The general thinking behind this potential change (and again, it's just general thinking, we've not seriously reviewed it yet) is to try and break up "static" gatecamps a little and generally *discourage* hanging around on a gate all day.
  • Yes, we know people are just going to yo-yo back in, and if they're dedicated enough to do that for a couple of hours then more power to them, they get to camp the gate for a few hours.
  • The thinking specifically with carriers was that it'd be an interesting dynamic that you had to essentially "pre-commit" with a triage carrier, by dropping into triage, waiting 30-40s (times obviously subject to some actual balancing work) and then starting to rep, so you've still got the window to get out again before the damage becomes high enough to kill you. This lets you use carriers on lowsec gates but gives the other side a bit of time to go "oh crap, that carrier's gone into triage, we'd better either double down or start running".
  • Damage ramping as currently envisioned would be strictly per-ship, per-engagement - as soon as you warp off, it resets back to base. This could of course be redesigned in many ways to get it to do other interesting things - or as should hopefully be clear by now, dropped entirely if we decide it's a rubbish idea after all.

Drop the design. It's a horrible idea.

Also, quit and stop ruining the game. You don't understand it and shouldn't have any say in it's direction. Especially aspects you clearly have no clue about (pretty much all of it except carebearing in empire).

Just about every idea you've ever tried to implement has been hit with a 'wtf is this dude thinking' and I can only imagine that it's why CSM didn't say anything. They were dumbfounded by stupidity from your remarks on this completely bad idea.

Please do us all a favor and get out of the 'ideas department' of CCP. Furthermore, do not participate in public speeches and you should strongly consider not logging on to forums to respond to the community as you give your company a bad image and name.

You made a fool out of yourself at Fanfest (really... death rays?)
You made a fool out of yourself when you attempted to suggest titan fixes.
You are making a fool out of yourself right now for even suggesting that this is a good idea.

Hint: It's not. Scrap it.

Holy! Ruthless sharp tounge and all she said is actually true.

Ouch... that hurt. Especially the fact hurts that this hit the nail on the head.