These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Online does not evolve quickly enough

Author
Istvaan Shogaatsu
Guiding Hand Social Club
#61 - 2012-07-26 20:08:31 UTC
TACTICAL TRACTOR BEAMS. I love this idea.
Kieron VonDeux
#62 - 2012-07-26 20:27:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Kieron VonDeux
Technologies, at some point, do stabalize for extended periods of time.

How long was the bow and arrow used before we got a lead projectile propelled by expanding gases?
How long will we use this lead projectile until propelling another type of projectile by magnectic forces becomes common place?

The examples you shown from our recent history were complentments to existing technologies, not replacements.
They tech you suggest seem to be more of a replacement, than a complement to existing tech in Eve.

Edit: Improvements through innovation ( ie, balancing ) should happen far more often than the breakthroughs that seem to suggest a whole new weapon system.

I dont't think Eve would be served by this and it would only lead to more problem in balacning than we already have.
Private Pineapple
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#63 - 2012-07-26 20:59:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Private Pineapple
Kieron VonDeux wrote:
Technologies, at some point, do stabalize for extended periods of time.

How long was the bow and arrow used before we got a lead projectile propelled by expanding gases?
How long will we use this lead projectile until propelling another type of projectile by magnectic forces becomes common place?

The examples you shown from our recent history were complentments to existing technologies, not replacements.
They tech you suggest seem to be more of a replacement, than a complement to existing tech in Eve.

Edit: Improvements through innovation ( ie, balancing ) should happen far more often than the breakthroughs that seem to suggest a whole new weapon system.

I dont't think Eve would be served by this and it would only lead to more problem in balacning than we already have.

Technological advancements were much slower in the past than today when we have a bigger population meaning more scientists and more knowledge to be shared/gained, etc. By now, things would be constantly evolving as I'm sure the total human population in the EVE cluster is unimaginably huge, which means there are a ton more scientists working on a lot of things and specializing deeper into little niche areas and stuff like that.

This graph comes to mind: http://commonsenseatheism.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/darkages.gif

BTW, the reason why technological advancements were slower in the past is because more people had to be part of the hunter-gatherer groups of civilization. Nowadays we have like 1% or 2% of the population being farmers that can feed the other 98-99% with some exceptions as some people feed themselves. So in the past there were few scientists and less knowledge to be known from previous technological advancements, so technology grew extremely slow.

Gulboy
Absolute Order
Absolute Honor
#64 - 2012-07-26 21:19:57 UTC
The idea about more weapons makes sense if taken example of real world, but developers have to work hard not to cause a great deal of imbalance and/or make another weapon null and void. It's a hard job.
My suggestion would be: why not make some type of bombs that would explode after going for 5 seconds and not exploding until it hits a target?
It would be possible to snipe a tackler coming to you at 4km/s that way. Also these bombs would be harder to hit, but would deal more damage.
Vince Arron
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#65 - 2012-07-26 21:30:27 UTC
Istvaan Shogaatsu wrote:
Disclaimer: this is a drunk post.

The arms race. We've had one in recent history, the past (20th) century demonstrating the rapid and aggressive adaptability of technology. Technology is a funny beast. It grows faster and faster. An exponential level of advancement. Arguably this is a continuing effect.

World War I: Infantry waves, trench warfare, brutal artillery. Stalemate-breaker: Tanks.

World War II: Blitzkrieg warfare, tanks, aircraft and carriers. Stalemate-breaker: The atomic bomb.

You see what I'm getting at, don't you?

We've been using the same goddamn weapons since the alpha/beta, bar a few exceptions like doomsday weapons. But there has been no arms race. Sure, the ships gradually and laboriously slowly get better... when Eve started, we had T1... a few years later, T2... and a few years after that, T3...

But they're still using the same damn guns. The same old, stagnant weapons we started with. They may get a % bonus to damage or RoF that's greater than lower-class ships of the line, but they're still using... the same weapons.

No scientist in New Eden appears to be working on NEW WEAPONS.

Here's what I'd like to see:

The Amarr Empire, after decades of technological collaboration with the Caldari State, discovers a method of projecting a particle free vacuum-beam through which an anti-matter beam can be channeled without the risk of anti-matter encountering matter until it hits the target. These weapons produce intense blast and kinetic effects upon impact.

The Caldari, employing exotic particle research involved in the creation of Amarr tachyon beams, invent a new tachyon-shielded warhead that slips through space instantly and arrives on target the second it is fired.

The Gallente, who strategically prefer defense over attack, combine high-explosive knowledge from the Minmatar Republic with their own drones, to create deployable self-regenerating minefields filled with seeking bomb-drones that function like a warp-bubble that hurts.

The Minmatar, thanks to their close relations with the fading Jovian empire, have secured exotic matter warhead technology never before seen among the four empires. These warheads are often unreliable, but when they function correctly, are devastating; capable of converting an Apocalypse battleship into a burning ball of exotic matter with a few solid strikes.

And here's the most important bit: this shit shouldn't be fair. Every few months, there should be a new breakthrough. A new weapon, just invented, that gives one empire an edge over the others... just long enough for the next counter-weapon to be developed.

tl;dr: New ships are nice. We want new weapons too. ("Like" this post if you agree, or post insults if you don't.)

We had mines already, turns out of you lay them at a low sec gate, you can get concordokened 2 hours later in high sec once someone stumbles on them
Shai 'Hulud
#66 - 2012-07-27 23:42:33 UTC
Another idea in this same direction, would be to have ships and modules that effect the power of weapons systems also effect their visual representation. I.E. the size of a given missile's explosion could scale with its effective damage modifier.

The most useful slaves are those that believe themselves to be free

Simca Develon
Doomheim
#67 - 2012-07-30 22:51:33 UTC
Istvaan Shogaatsu wrote:
And here's the most important bit: this shit shouldn't be fair. Every few months, there should be a new breakthrough. A new weapon, just invented, that gives one empire an edge over the others... just long enough for the next counter-weapon to be developed.

So much this. Things shouldn't be fair or equal in a setup like this. One empire gains an edge and the others have to adapt. Would lead to out of the box thinking on tactics and fitting. I love it.

Je suis le commencement de votre fin.

Le diable prend soin de son proper.

YuriKane
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#68 - 2012-07-30 23:50:35 UTC
I was doing a quest earlier and it said that an asteroid had hit one of the stations and killed a lot of people. I thought to myself, how could a civilization such as this not stop an asteroid from hitting a station? Wat?
Garreth Vlox
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#69 - 2012-07-31 00:16:04 UTC
Misanth wrote:

t3 weaponry as well..)

This would be awesome.

The LULZ Boat.

Nylith Empyreal
Sutar Rein
#70 - 2012-07-31 00:17:30 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
moar KA-BOOM ftw!

this stuff really annoyed my friend years back. the four races don't meet up and decide that their missiles do too much damage so lets reduce that, no they should develop counters! maybe not quite as powerful or frequently as you suggest, but new stuff is fun! I think the inferno mods are some great additions!

the new line of missiles!
Em: chance to mess with targeting
Exp: chance to do armor damage through shields
Kin: chance to do structure damage through armor
Therm: chance to do heat damage to modules

I want this, all of it, I'd be far happier with this concept than new weapons truthfully.

Who's the more foolish the fool or the fool who replies to him?

Janeos
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2012-07-31 00:17:50 UTC
YuriKane wrote:
I was doing a quest earlier and it said that an asteroid had hit one of the stations and killed a lot of people. I thought to myself, how could a civilization such as this not stop an asteroid from hitting a station? Wat?

In before "Goons did it!"
Jimmy Gunsmythe
Sebiestor Tribe
#72 - 2012-07-31 03:55:43 UTC
Ok...since players (aka capsuleers) are not the inventors of new tech, but rather the NPC corps and industries, they really need to be embroiled in a war for weapons tech evolution to take place.

My wager is that new weapons systems require not only design, but then the skills need to be added to the game, along with balancing and tweaking these weapons systems. Now, given that some systems (rails and rockets come to mind) have been broken until recently, I would much rather what we have be Working as Intended before we start piling more crap onto the heap.

John Hancock

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#73 - 2012-07-31 04:06:27 UTC
Its been ten years (almost).

We have had several new ships, several new classes of ships, new tank mods, some new weapons.

What, do you expect us to go from Civil War to WWII in a few weeks?
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#74 - 2012-07-31 14:33:51 UTC
YuriKane wrote:

Maybe it was a rogue asteroid that happened into a wormhole and came out too near the station to be stopped?

Also, asteroids are far more difficult to stop than you might think. Most of the realistic plans for defending earth against an impact threat require months to modify the rock's orbit enough to guarantee a miss.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#75 - 2012-07-31 14:43:03 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Its been ten years (almost).

We have had several new ships, several new classes of ships, new tank mods, some new weapons.

What, do you expect us to go from Civil War to WWII in a few weeks?

Good point. For all the advancement of WW2, it was primarily refinements on existing technologies. The major developments that took place during the war came from decades of research:

- RADAR owes its origins to Tesla's radio experiments in the late 1890s.
- Nuclear science originated in the research of scientists like the Curies...in the 1890s.
- Jet engines and rocketry go much further back than that

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Shalua Rui
Rui Freelance Mining
#76 - 2012-07-31 14:49:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Shalua Rui
Technological evolution? All for it!

Let's see, how about T3 equipment?

- phasing missiles (bypassing shields) and
- phasing shields to counter that
- auto-regenerating armor plating
- automatic point defense cannons
- cloaked torpedoes and drones

... I could go on.^^

"ginger forum goddess, space gypsy and stone nibbler extraordinaire!" Shalua Rui - CEO and founder of Rui Freelance Mining (RFLM)

Doddy
Excidium.
#77 - 2012-07-31 15:07:07 UTC
Well,there are a few things to bear in mind here. Firstly no total war situation exists in eve like it did in ww2. If you compare to advancement in the present day then really things only get refined. 60 years on from ww2 we are still using mostly the same tech as then with the only major changes being computers and satellites, everything else is just refined. Many countries on the planet have militaries still using 1960s tech in fact. Really eves rate of change is quite quick.

Secondly eve tech is always developed from outside sources. They are basically rediscovering stuff. The initial capsule tech and later t2 came from the jovians (who are careful not to give too much), and later advances came from terran and sleeper tech (basically through archaeology). This limits what can be discovered to bursts of understanding.

Finally the societies in eve don't really lend themselves to tech advancement. Minmatar civilisation is fractured and tribal. They don't really co-operate enough however good they are at jury rigging jovian tech back together. The amarr are a theocracy, which is a form of government not known for embracing new ideas. The caldari are an oligarchy, who will purposefully block advancement if it threatens profits (like todays oil companie sin a way). The gallente are the society most suited to tech advancement but they are in a kind of hedonistic who cares mode when they aren't engaged in a full on war.
Medarr
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#78 - 2012-07-31 15:21:48 UTC
Istvaan Shogaatsu wrote:
TACTICAL TRACTOR BEAMS. I love this idea.

What the beer keg floated out of reach?

* grins *

Its good to see your still around Istvaan
Ivana Twinkle
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#79 - 2012-07-31 15:25:47 UTC
MY RIFTER needs death rays.
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#80 - 2012-07-31 15:30:43 UTC
Istvaan Shogaatsu wrote:
10 years...

In World War II, designs went from blueprint to build within a span of months, not years.

And look where we have gone since then... It takes 20+ years to develop a fighter that lights itself on fire when using afterburners or dumps fuel. As well it's out flown and 4x the cost of cold war legacy fighters it's slotted to replace. Lets put it this way, Kelly Jounson would be ashamed that his lockeed martin is producing **** designed to steal money from tax payers instead of actually kill things. And yes i'm talking about the f-35

We can only assume the kind kind of back room posturing and lobbying responsible for such a step backwards is present in eve. Newer design does no = better design.