These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

what does people think of being able to reuse wasted SP

Author
Doddy
Excidium.
#21 - 2012-07-31 14:37:19 UTC
I wouldn't have an issue withsp redistribution so long as it was inefficient, i.e. doing it would reduce your overall sp. Maybe get 1 sp back for every 2 traded in or whatever.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#22 - 2012-07-31 14:40:58 UTC
Large Collidable Object wrote:

Not agreeing with the OPs proposal at all, but actually, I have unlearned countless things I learned at school employing a combination of not using them in over 20 years and habitual drinking.

Are you Homer? he's my role model in life less the drinking bit Evil

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Doddy
Excidium.
#23 - 2012-07-31 14:42:12 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Still no, can you unlearn stuff you were taught at school because you have never used it since?

unless you're Homer in which case any new stuff pushes the old stuff out

This is a fairly terrible analogy given that eve skills are packs of information downloaded directly into our brain through an artificial interface, hardly like what we learned at school. If the ability to write is there than it is a small step to have the ability to overwrite or rewrite.
Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#24 - 2012-07-31 14:44:27 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Still no, can you unlearn stuff you were taught at school because you have never used it since?

Not agreeing with the OPs proposal at all, but actually, I have unlearned countless things I learned at school employing a combination of not using them in over 20 years and habitual drinking.

How do you know that you have unlearned something?

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Hemmo Paskiainen
#25 - 2012-07-31 14:46:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Hemmo Paskiainen
Easy... make isk, buy new chacter (&make ccp dual plex happy) and have fun (epic out of the box grinding > 30b a month with 6 hours a day) (or trading but you would need so much liq that isk for new char wouldnt matter)

or

wait 6 years and simply trail everything to 4/5 like i did

If relativity equals time plus momentum, what equals relativity, if the momentum is minus to the time?

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#26 - 2012-07-31 14:47:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Pak Narhoo
Not this again, come on. Sad

EVE -> harsh -> live with your decisions made -> start over sell your character (buy a "perfect" new one) if it bothers you so much.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2012-07-31 14:48:44 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Must have left clues

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Large Collidable Object
morons.
#28 - 2012-07-31 14:56:32 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Try helping kids doing their homework - you'd be surprised how many things you come accross you know you've learned in school but just can't remember without reading it up again (although I was quite surprised how good my latin still was...).
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#29 - 2012-07-31 15:02:40 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Try helping kids doing their homework - you'd be surprised how many things you come accross you know you've learned in school but just can't remember without reading it up again (although I was quite surprised how good my latin still was...).

So you have simply forgotten the actions or sequence of a skill but found that you could recover it very quickly after a brief tutorial, creating such terms as 'like riding a bicycle'. The only people that I know of who have completely unlearned a skill usually suffer amnesia.

Personally I can see the threads now. People will be looking at their character sheet wondering why they took X skill that they never use so they remove it, and then find out that they suddenly can't fly half the ships they own because its a prereq. Then we'll see the threads saying how they made a stupid mistake and ccp needs to come fix that stupid and everyone will be all like you did it, now you gotta live with it and stuff.

Ginger Barbarella
#30 - 2012-07-31 15:06:35 UTC
You CHOSE to train something at the time; that means it's not wasted. Just because you CHOOSE to do nothing with those trained skills does not mean it's CCP responsibility to suddenly make them usable to use AGAIN. Pay attention to what you're training next time.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Azami Nevinyrall
#31 - 2012-07-31 15:08:40 UTC
2 years ago I said the same thing...why can I fly a barge when I'm pvping all the time?

Then **** happened, I moved on, life changes and etc etc.

Then 1 year ago I found myself in deep null mining away in sites I scanned down...

Now I'm back into pvp and I suspect that in a year or so I'll be picking up mining again. Or flying bait Skiffs come Aug 8th...

Mal Ishos
Steecey's Industries
#32 - 2012-07-31 15:34:47 UTC
Skill remaps for PLEX? Yes, please.
Dave stark
#33 - 2012-07-31 15:37:23 UTC
Azami Nevinyrall wrote:
2 years ago I said the same thing...why can I fly a barge when I'm pvping all the time?

Then 1 year ago I found myself in deep null mining away in sites I scanned down...

Now I'm back into pvp and I suspect that in a year or so I'll be picking up mining again. Or flying bait Skiffs come Aug 8th...

bait procurers, you mean.
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#34 - 2012-07-31 15:38:14 UTC
Every time you choose to learn something new to complement your current playing habits further punishes you with a more expensive clone. The longer you play the more you are punished. You are better off making a new character for every single activity. So get a minimum of 2 accounts and suck it up.
How else can CCP make money from a smaller playerbase. Other than maybe including more avatar pants.
Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#35 - 2012-07-31 16:00:08 UTC
The biggest issue with skill points is that to use them effectively you have to understand all the different skills in the first place; even with help I don't think there's a single new player who has the knowledge to use their SP correctly, and a minor reallocation at some point may be beneficial.
Reicheck
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2012-07-31 16:01:27 UTC
As much as I would want skill points returned for things I might not be using anymore, no thanks. Choice is choice.

On a side note for exploitability.
Jump start your wallet with PI.

Have +5 implants.
Perfect attribute mapping. (getting around 2700sp/hr)
Max all PI skills.
Earn enough iskies to outfit your hanger with the nicest monacle accessories.

Done?
Refund skill points from PI.
Train points into non-mapped skills. Less time for the same amount of SP's.

I think this could be done over and over and you would beat the 20 year queue. (I'm not going to do the maths.)
But still not very useful.

And as it is now, if you train PI to earn isks to get a jump start on life(eve is real) then you've made the choice to train and use PI.
No refunds.

No sig here.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#37 - 2012-07-31 16:03:39 UTC
Sentient Blade wrote:
The biggest issue with skill points is that to use them effectively you have to understand all the different skills in the first place; even with help I don't think there's a single new player who has the knowledge to use their SP correctly, and a minor reallocation at some point may be beneficial.

Define use correctly.

Azami Nevinyrall
#38 - 2012-07-31 16:06:25 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
Azami Nevinyrall wrote:

bait procurers, you mean.

I said and meant Skiff...

Better bait gets bigger fish...

Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#39 - 2012-07-31 16:08:47 UTC
Being able to reallocate SP is a great idea if you like seeing veterans benefit from changes more than the newbies.

Personally, I think that things are fine as they are.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

hedge betts Shiyurida
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#40 - 2012-07-31 17:08:25 UTC
One way CCP could do it is to let us pay for the destruction of the offending skill( PI HOW I HATE THEE) and in return for this we only get back a certain amount of SP say 75%.

10 million would be a fair price. Every one benefits, players get rid of the clutter and CCP removes isk crom.the game.

Not everyone would do it, but it's better to have the option than not.

Pog mo thoin