These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

what does people think of being able to reuse wasted SP

Author
Lord LazyGhost
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-07-31 13:39:55 UTC
hi guys jsut a though what do you all think about being able to use wasted sp into somthig you use. say when u started game you stared mineing now you more into pvp and have x amount of SP into mineing ie crystals hulk or orca or what ever. would it not be good to be able to transfer them sp into somthig that is usfull to you today, insted of having to jsut train somthing else and have all them wasted sp jsut sitting there.
Kryss Darkdust
The Skulls
#2 - 2012-07-31 13:42:33 UTC
If there was a way to set this up without people abusing it.. I would be down for it... but I think the best version of this type of thing I have heard was where you trade in SP you earned for 50% of its time value... aka if you have a skill that took 2 days to train, you could get 1 day of training in exchange. This way their is significant reduction in value of changing skills. But even that has some potential flaws that I probobly cant see.

The reality of Eve is that, if you don't love it like it is today, you should probobly go ahead and unsub. 

Sugar Kyle
Middle Ground
#3 - 2012-07-31 13:43:13 UTC
They are not wasted. They are still useful to mine, fly an orca or whatever.

You made a choice.

Chosing to PVP is another choice that you made.

Things seem fine.

Member of CSM9 and CSM10.

AllUrBase
Just no reason corp
#4 - 2012-07-31 13:43:35 UTC  |  Edited by: AllUrBase
I'm sure this has been discussed before. The most common response is that whatever you do in EvE has consequences. Deal with it. Your mining skills will haunt your character till you biomass it. :P
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#5 - 2012-07-31 13:43:35 UTC
There are no wasted skillpoints, if you complete a skill.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#6 - 2012-07-31 13:45:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
You chose to train it, live with it

TL;DR No

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#7 - 2012-07-31 13:45:51 UTC
You can't uneat what you ate yesterday, or unsay what you said the day before, or do what you did not do the year before. Why should you be able to unskill what skills you have skilled?

Where I am.

Abel Merkabah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-07-31 13:46:44 UTC
Have to agree, no.

Consequences for choices is important.

James315 for CSM 8!

Lord LazyGhost
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-07-31 13:47:41 UTC
i dont mean like o today i want to pvp swap tomorrow mine again swap back. but mabe being able to change them at some loss like you say 50% or 75% or somthing like that. would be good and keeep people playing the game. that leave becasue they are bored off what they are doing and not willing to put the time iito it to carry on playing while they wait the x amout of time to be able to do the thig they fancy tryig now.

mabe like the remap we have atm.

and also think that needs to be brough i from 12 months to 6 months but thats a different post lol :)

mabe being allowed to transfer the sp every 6 months or somthing or even a isk cost to doing it every 6 months so there is a loss of time training and a cost per sp or what ever
Abel Merkabah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-07-31 13:52:53 UTC
Lord LazyGhost wrote:
i dont mean like o today i want to pvp swap tomorrow mine again swap back. but mabe being able to change them at some loss like you say 50% or 75% or somthing like that. would be good and keeep people playing the game. that leave becasue they are bored off what they are doing and not willing to put the time iito it to carry on playing while they wait the x amout of time to be able to do the thig they fancy tryig now.

mabe like the remap we have atm.

and also think that needs to be brough i from 12 months to 6 months but thats a different post lol :)

mabe being allowed to transfer the sp every 6 months or somthing or even a isk cost to doing it every 6 months so there is a loss of time training and a cost per sp or what ever

And what would this do to skill book prices? Why should I pay 300mil for a skill book, when I can buy a 1 mil skill book with same total SP requirement to master (and if I'm smart, in my strongest attributes) then remap the points.

No, bad idea. If you want to break into a new area you haven't trained for, yes, it will take time, but that is a good thing. Patience is a virtue.

James315 for CSM 8!

Patrakele
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-07-31 13:53:36 UTC
No SP refund - ever!
Dave Stark
#12 - 2012-07-31 13:54:07 UTC
don't like the skills you trained? sell your character and buy another.
Charlie Jacobson
#13 - 2012-07-31 13:55:07 UTC
I'd rather have the ability to just unlearn a skill completely, without having any of the points refunded.
Abel Merkabah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-07-31 13:55:45 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
don't like the skills you trained? sell your character and buy another.

That seems like a great solution to work around the problem you want OP.

James315 for CSM 8!

Jonah Gravenstein
#15 - 2012-07-31 13:55:50 UTC
Still no, can you unlearn stuff you were taught at school because you have never used it since?

unless you're Homer in which case any new stuff pushes the old stuff out

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Dave Stark
#16 - 2012-07-31 13:58:36 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Still no, can you unlearn stuff you were taught at school because you have never used it since?

unless you're Homer in which case any new stuff pushes the old stuff out

even though most of what you learn at school is useless, the skills you learned to solve a problem involving finding x are invaluable to every day life even if you've never had to find x since.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#17 - 2012-07-31 14:03:36 UTC
No wasted skill points... just not desirable.
Lipbite
Express Hauler
#18 - 2012-07-31 14:25:56 UTC
I'd re-animate my miner/industrialist/trader account to remake pilot into pure minmatar / PvP.
Jonah Gravenstein
#19 - 2012-07-31 14:33:31 UTC
Dave stark wrote:

even though most of what you learn at school is useless, the skills you learned to solve a problem involving finding x are invaluable to every day life even if you've never had to find x since.

Totally agree with you, hated math & trig @ school, used them everyday since I left.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Large Collidable Object
morons.
#20 - 2012-07-31 14:35:21 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Not agreeing with the OPs proposal at all, but actually, I have unlearned countless things I learned at school employing a combination of not using them in over 20 years and habitual drinking.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
123Next pageLast page