These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

My Idea On How Destroyers Can Effect Dust 514

Author
Davon Kastire
Shields Of The State
#1 - 2012-07-30 19:58:57 UTC
"CCP Ytterbuim" wrote:
We also have another plan with destroyers: just like battlecruisers are used for gang warfare support, we are thinking to provide destroyers with an additional role. Since DUST514 is approaching and we want to forge both games into the same universe, they will receive some advantage for planetary bombardment, which should make them even more popular that they currently are.

Yes! I've stressed the cross platforming opportunities of Destroyers before (Example) and I'm very excited about this.

Looking over CCP's plans for the Destroyer overhaul and the introduction of new ones. I'm going to pitch my old idea of how Destroyers can effect the Dust battlefield (making a few changes to idea first of course).

First I think we need a different system for the Destroyer than just a simple bombardment. Utter destruction should be the role of battleships and dreds and their big guns. Destroyers however, have much smaller guns and I think would be best suited for "Tactical Strikes". Single shots that have unique effects on their targets. Being limited to small weapons though, It would make sense (at least to me) for it to have to enter the planet's upper atmosphere, stabilize, and wait for a target to be called.

CCP talked about ships being able to enter atmospheres once upon a time, they even showed a demo video of atmospheric flight. Maybe it's finally coming together.

Anyway, as for the tactical strikes, I can think of 4.

Artillery Strike/ Anti Personnel: The shot will deviate wide from the intended target. It has a wide shrapnel spread radius. It has a medium-small sized kill radius for soldiers. Anywhere else within the shrapnel radius does moderate to light damage based on distance. Light vehicles are a little more than lightly damaged within the kill radius and destroyed if hit directly. Heavy vehicles are near unscathed withing any radius but heavily damaged if hit directly.

Railgun Strike/ Disorientation and Disable: The shot will deviate moderately from the intended target. Has a medium sized shock wave radius with a small kill radius for soldiers. Light vehicles are moderately damaged in the kill radius while heavies are lightly damaged. Any soldier caught within the shock wave radius will suffer from temporary slow movement and highly inaccurate aiming. Vehicles will suffer from temporary slow movement and slow turret movement. Flying vehicles will be harder to handle. All vehicles are destroyed if hit directly.

Laser Strike/ Anti Armor: Shot will hit directly on the intended target. Has no type of radius whatsoever. Vehicles and soldiers are both killed when hit directly. Targets can still get out of the way of the shot before it lands. Best used against idle targets.

EMP Missile Strike/ Electronic Disruption: Hits directly on the intended target. Has a very wide EM radius( this means there's a high chance you'll effect friendlies) and a short kill radius for soldiers and vehicles. Anything within the EM radius will suffer barely any damage but will suffer from temporary electronics shutdown. Ammo and health displays will disappear as well as any hud displays. The same goes for vehicles. Holo-crosshairs and won't show when looking down sights.

I also think the weapons needed to use these strikes should be unique long barreled small turrets and a single barreled missile launcher.
Griffin Omanid
Knights of the Zodiac
#2 - 2012-07-30 23:42:54 UTC
Sounds interesting. Can someone who already played dust, can tell something about the orbital strikes?