These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Tech is fine l2p

First post First post
Author
Sigras
Conglomo
#921 - 2012-07-28 17:28:59 UTC
really? ive been in Jita a long time, and Ive never found anything selling below cost (except for the stupid POS module/PI debacle but thats not due to market factors)

Its my opinion that the people who are running POSs are generally more intelligent than that.
EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#922 - 2012-07-28 17:36:41 UTC
Sigras wrote:
really? ive been in Jita a long time, and Ive never found anything selling below cost (except for the stupid POS module/PI debacle but thats not due to market factors)

Its my opinion that the people who are running POSs are generally more intelligent than that.

I have explained, in detail, why the correct way to value cobalt being mined is zero. Why don't you point to the part you're having trouble with or disagree with and we'll go from there.
Sigras
Conglomo
#923 - 2012-07-28 17:45:05 UTC
im not having trouble with that, my rebuttal was to the people who said that alchemy would be done with 0 profit. Im saying that nobody would do the alchemy on a tower for 0 profit, especially since that now means the tower cant be used for much else. which is not the case with just mining cobalt and dumping it into a silo.

My contention is that the idiots who sell their products assuming the minerals they mine are not free are not (for the most part) running POSs
EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#924 - 2012-07-28 17:53:39 UTC
Sigras wrote:
im not having trouble with that, my rebuttal was to the people who said that alchemy would be done with 0 profit. Im saying that nobody would do the alchemy on a tower for 0 profit, especially since that now means the tower cant be used for much else. which is not the case with just mining cobalt and dumping it into a silo.

My contention is that the idiots who sell their products assuming the minerals they mine are not free are not (for the most part) running POSs

Oh, you're correct that's wrong. Alchemy will definitely have profit unless there are just that many people who need a medium ratting tower they're just going to throw an alchemy lab on to cover costs. I can't imagine there are many of those people, though that's going to quickly become the standard way to throw up a ratting tower in cobalt regions.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#925 - 2012-07-28 18:42:41 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:
rodyas wrote:
Werst Dendenahzees wrote:
While I am not a member of the illustrious Faction Five, I can attest that he's not even trying to scam, lie or deceive you in any way. The math doesn't lie, and outgaming CCP is way more hilarious than trolling some blokes on Eve-o.

Then why even bring this up? Just let it go live and enjoy the good old out gaming of CCP?

Saying "I knew that thing that just happened was going to happen" is only credible if you also say it before it happens.

Well not really true in a way. The main problem I see with you guys not being able to do it after it goes live. Is that you depend on tech money foremost. Which this has a chance to majorly nerf. Lossing all that ISK, would be worse then out gaming CCP. So here you guys are trying to warn us. Even though most of us won't be affected. Only you and your alliance. As well as other big allaince, not alot of us are a part of.

I wish I had more to say, but you goons F'ed up the economy so much, its really hard to predict what will happen, tbh. Guess we shall just wait to see what CCP makes go live, then move on from that or so.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Werst Dendenahzees
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#926 - 2012-07-28 19:46:30 UTC
rodyas wrote:

I wish I had more to say, but you goons F'ed up the economy so much, its really hard to predict what will happen, tbh. Guess we shall just wait to see what CCP makes go live, then move on from that or so.

We didn't screw the economy. Whatever we do simply can't be on the same scale as CCP's meddling (except that one time with faction warfare)
Kyle Myr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#927 - 2012-07-29 01:57:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyle Myr
Sigras wrote:

Again, the current margins on a lot of types of alchemy, and the presence of towers running these reactions in rented space and low sec suggests you're wrong. I've scanned plenty of towers that mine evaporites and nothing else. I can understand your personal view that the amount of effort that goes into maintaining a POS isn't worthwhile without a good return on effort invested, but other people would rather undercut, sell their stuff, and just be able to have fuel costs met for their safe sport and can of ammo/CHA/SMA/whatever.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#928 - 2012-07-29 03:42:36 UTC
rodyas wrote:

We didn't screw the economy. Whatever we do simply can't be on the same scale as CCP's meddling (except that one time with faction warfare)

I didn't say you ruined the game, Well besideds maybe that one time with faction warfare. I said you ruined the economy (or perhaps just part of it). The pos fuel price is real high and so is tech. Which the goons helped make sure of. Those are key parts in figuring out alchemy. The ratio is also part of it. But its hard to find a good ratio, with pos fuel and tech being played with.

The other goon here, evilweasel, was trying to warn us of the drastic change CCP would make to the game. But with you guys screwing up those price indexes, it almost guarantees, CCP will not be able to do a good job, or that the 10:1 ratio would stay. He also makes other points besides those ones. Those could happen, but are harder to see, we shall see what comes up.

corestwo
Goonfleet Investment Banking
#929 - 2012-07-29 15:23:56 UTC  |  Edited by: corestwo
rodyas wrote:
rodyas wrote:

I didn't say you ruined the game, Well besideds maybe that one time with faction warfare. I said you ruined the economy (or perhaps just part of it). The pos fuel price is real high and so is tech. Which the goons helped make sure of. Those are key parts in figuring out alchemy. The ratio is also part of it. But its hard to find a good ratio, with pos fuel and tech being played with.

The other goon here, evilweasel, was trying to warn us of the drastic change CCP would make to the game. But with you guys screwing up those price indexes, it almost guarantees, CCP will not be able to do a good job, or that the 10:1 ratio would stay. He also makes other points besides those ones. Those could happen, but are harder to see, we shall see what comes up.

The overwhelming majority of credit for the current state of the economy goes to CCP, because they're the ones that removed the overwhelming majority of the supply of minerals. Hulkageddon didn't help but, had the drone regions remained intact, it would have been a blip as it had been in previous years...a bigger blip, perhaps, due to the bounties keeping people more involved, but a blip nonetheless. Burn Jita was really just a temporary blip in sales with no long term effect. Tech would be a price increase on the T2 front, to be sure, but that price increase is accentuated by the increase in minerals as well.

Really, its flattering that you give us so much credit, but our antics are accentuating effects, not primary drivers.

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Killian McLoud
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#930 - 2012-07-29 21:20:10 UTC
GRIEV3R wrote:
Oh man, OTEC is probably going to QQ pretty hard at this. But I'm pretty sure they've already extracted their trillions out of it already.

on a semi-related note, wouldn't it be spiffy if, in the real world, if we don't like OPEC having a monopoly on virtually all the oil on Earth, we could just "tweak" the laws of chemistry and physics so anyone can make a replacement for oil in their basement?

ah, if only reality had benevolent Devs.

you mean something like this http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#931 - 2012-07-30 03:59:03 UTC  |  Edited by: rodyas
corestwo wrote:
rodyas wrote:
rodyas wrote:

The overwhelming majority of credit for the current state of the economy goes to CCP, because they're the ones that removed the overwhelming majority of the supply of minerals. Hulkageddon didn't help but, had the drone regions remained intact, it would have been a blip as it had been in previous years...a bigger blip, perhaps, due to the bounties keeping people more involved, but a blip nonetheless. Burn Jita was really just a temporary blip in sales with no long term effect. Tech would be a price increase on the T2 front, to be sure, but that price increase is accentuated by the increase in minerals as well.

Really, its flattering that you give us so much credit, but our antics are accentuating effects, not primary drivers.

Alright, might have been giveing you more credit it seems. But curious on the amount of ISK given out for support for the permahulkageedon. Or if you will release those numbers someday.

It seems I fell for the mass hysteria. Been re-reading posts and it seems it comes from barges being to safe, as well as an overwhelming fear of bots. Not too sure about the bots.

It does seem this mining barge buff, would restore the economy after the drone nerf, but people do have a fear of bots, as well as wanting to gank miners alot. The tech pricing is strange, especially with CCP having a number they are shooting for or are trying to reach. Means this alchemy is mostly due to OTEC then. And almost siding with goons that it is all price fixing and not too much game applied.

It almost isn't price fixing, but what they expect of us sucks. Like CCP comes up with a way for us to help defeat OTEC, since we can't defeat it in game normally. But it doesn't bring pride to you that alchemy is the way to beat it I suppose. Like its more like price fixing, with the way CCP wants us to beat you goons and your allies.

Plus it kind of keeps old models in tact as well. As moons will still be the driving force for conflict in 0.0, as well as the main supply of tech. Of course that is if CCP price fixing plan works or not. Seem like there could be some things in its path though. Seems like bots will ruin this game more then goons will though. Kind of a suprise really.

Kind of wondering, what chances you are giving CCP to price fix well. And what chances you are given the other variables to mess up CCP's price fixing of tech?

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#932 - 2012-07-30 04:10:14 UTC
I was all like :sadpanda: when we were told to move to Period Basis. Then I looked at dotlan.

Known Period Basis Moons.

Sov Holders

vOv

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#933 - 2012-07-30 04:45:10 UTC
GRIEV3R wrote:
Oh man, OTEC is probably going to QQ pretty hard at this. But I'm pretty sure they've already extracted their trillions out of it already.

on a semi-related note, wouldn't it be spiffy if, in the real world, if we don't like OPEC having a monopoly on virtually all the oil on Earth, we could just "tweak" the laws of chemistry and physics so anyone can make a replacement for oil in their basement?

The most famous person to try alchemy or invent alchemy was newton. Though the working theory in EVE is that the resource has to naturally dry up around you, for alchemy to work.

Newton went insane trying to develop alchemy (or maybe just ludicrious) Using EVE's working theory of alchemy, we can discover why he did.

He died a virgin of his own choice. So Newton (the genius) of his own volition, didn't use the resource of pussy or wait for pussy to dry up. He left it, (while there was plenty) and tried to develop alchemy. So he went insane.

Eve's theory would state, that newton would have to hit that pussy, till it was gone and he had none left. Then he would really discover alchemy, and avoid going insane.

Sometimes you try too hard to win in life. Newton's lesson he gives to us.

Sigras
Conglomo
#934 - 2012-07-30 06:12:07 UTC
GRIEV3R wrote:

They explained this in the first dev blog about alchemy, but in real life, if we dont like OPEC having a monopoly on all our oil, we develop hydrogen fuel cells, or electric cars that dont use oil.

In eve, I would love to invent a different type of T2 ship that doesnt use Tech, but I cant. Until I can, CCP does need to put in something to allow people to break monopolies.
StuRyan
Space Wolves ind.
Solyaris Chtonium
#935 - 2012-07-30 10:56:46 UTC  |  Edited by: StuRyan
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Louis deGuerre wrote:
If this ensure that prices drop so I can afford to PVP again in something other than T1 frigs I love it.

But I just don't get it. It is such a strange solution.

Why not use your PI system (flaws and all) to produce vital moon minerals instead ?
That would ensure that minerals are distributed more evenly over the galaxy, are dynamic resources, and give DUST bunnies something meaningful to fight over.

This is the first step in our plan to revamp tech 2 production. Changes to how the minerals are obtained will be coming before we're done (although probably not from PI).

Does this mean moon mining is dead in the water?

any idea how this will affect pos runners who work reactions on dead moons?
corestwo
Goonfleet Investment Banking
#936 - 2012-07-30 16:37:35 UTC
StuRyan wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
[quote=Louis deGuerre]If this ensure that prices drop so I can afford to PVP again in something other than T1 frigs I love it.

But I just don't get it. It is such a strange solution.

Why not use your PI system (flaws and all) to produce vital moon minerals instead ?
That would ensure that minerals are distributed more evenly over the galaxy, are dynamic resources, and give DUST bunnies something meaningful to fight over.

This is the first step in our plan to revamp tech 2 production. Changes to how the minerals are obtained will be coming before we're done (although probably not from PI).

Hey I wanted to comment on this, I didn't see it when you first posted it.

Whatever you do, please make sure that it's something that an alliance can feasibly tax as an income source. Nerfing moons as income is fine but if you replace it with something that the alliance cannot derive income from at all, that's a bad thing. Two quick examples of what is and is not something that can be feasibly taxed by an alliance.

Planetary Interaction - because the taxation happens through the POCOs which players must use to run their planets, the tax is collected automatically and it cannot be avoided. From the perspective of alliance income, this is a good system.

Mining - Taxation happens through the refinery taxes on the station. Setting a refinery tax impinges on 0.0 industry, be it capital or supercapital construction or normal fleet construction, as it means that builders are losing some of their compressed minerals. In addition, any miner with suitable infrastructure (translation: a Rorqual) can simply avoid the tax by compressing the ore and moving it to lowsec or highsec where they can refine for free. From the perspective of alliance income, this is thus a bad system.

An example of a way to turn mining from a bad system to a good system would be something that we'll call a "Sovereign Mining Ship Base" or some such. Warp-capable mining drones stage within a constellation from this base to "hitch a ride" off of any ships mining in the constellation and automatically ferry away a portion of the ore mined, at a rate set by the sovereignty holder.

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Werst Dendenahzees
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#937 - 2012-07-30 17:04:58 UTC
In summary:
a) Add more/better ways for nullsec players to make bank without requiring renters, because renters are a dumb concept.
b) Make that personal income taxable at the source through automated mechanics.
c) This links nullsec income to personal income, thus requiring that an alliances lives in its own space to make money.
Werst Dendenahzees
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#938 - 2012-07-30 17:10:31 UTC
Allowing us to collect a portion of the station trading taxes and broker fees would be a nice start. It would encourage alliances to produce and trade in their sov rather than just buy everything in Jita and JF it over.
Sigras
Conglomo
#939 - 2012-07-30 17:37:20 UTC
ummmm . . . alliance owned stations/outposts already give the brokers fees to the owning corp.
EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#940 - 2012-07-30 18:51:22 UTC
Sigras wrote:
ummmm . . . alliance owned stations/outposts already give the brokers fees to the owning corp.

We want the taxes, which are much larger.