These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is this how it's always been?

Author
Andre II
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-07-29 12:04:33 UTC
I sometimes wonder if this is how Eve's always been? Crowded High sec, choke points to null, players hunting like wolves in packs of 7 and 8. I remember long ago always watching videos of players just getting in a ship and traveling to null, yes you may encounter some pirates but those would be lone pirates. Players who sought the thrill of the fight. Now with Null being controlled by any corp with enough players to effectively stand at gates 24/7, it seems so different from what I imagined.

I always imagined there would be a SOLO aspect to eve, not pertaining only to high sec. That if you wanted to go out and explore, or get lost in the void you could do it. Exploring for days before encountering anyone else.

Idk, maybe it's because the universe has been mapped out.. Maybe people just know where to go, or stand with a gun for that matter. But it seems that outside of high sec there is no solo, well unless you get a small cloaked ship. Don't get me wrong i'm not really complaining for i guess that's how it's suppose to be... But whenever I imagined lawless zones full of criminal envisioned a large open expanse where you know you could actually hide, not a series of hotel rooms with thugs are every door holding knives.

Has there ever been a solo aspect of Eve outside of high sec? It's seem somewhat impossible now.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=47868

Possum's Awesome
Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
#2 - 2012-07-29 12:16:21 UTC
in before pineapple express
Cameron Cahill
Bad Vibe
Trigger Happy.
#3 - 2012-07-29 12:19:37 UTC
Andre II wrote:
I sometimes wonder if this is how Eve's always been? Crowded High sec, choke points to null, players hunting like wolves in packs of 7 and 8. I remember long ago always watching videos of players just getting in a ship and traveling to null, yes you may encounter some pirates but those would be lone pirates. Players who sought the thrill of the fight. Now with Null being controlled by any corp with enough players to effectively stand at gates 24/7, it seems so different from what I imagined.

I always imagined there would be a SOLO aspect to eve, not pertaining only to high sec. That if you wanted to go out and explore, or get lost in the void you could do it. Exploring for days before encountering anyone else.

Idk, maybe it's because the universe has been mapped out.. Maybe people just know where to go, or stand with a gun for that matter. But it seems that outside of high sec there is no solo, well unless you get a small cloaked ship. Don't get me wrong i'm not really complaining for i guess that's how it's suppose to be... But whenever I imagined lawless zones full of criminal envisioned a large open expanse where you know you could actually hide, not a series of hotel rooms with thugs are every door holding knives.

Has there ever been a solo aspect of Eve outside of high sec? It's seem somewhat impossible now.

EVE isn't as empty as you think although the travel for days without seeing anyone thing is still available in wormhole space. If you want to do solo wh exploration id recommend a cloaky scany interdiction nullified loki as it fills all the roals you'll need quite well and is damn hard to catch.

Solo in null/low is also viable you just need to make you're self hard to catch. Dramiels sabres and t3 bcs are examples of popular non cloaky solo boats.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#4 - 2012-07-29 12:21:57 UTC
Not too long ago a single guy was a sov holding power so yea, solo players can do thangs.
lanyaie
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#5 - 2012-07-29 12:28:28 UTC  |  Edited by: lanyaie
Yes you can still solo ...lots do it... You can do it also in a loki...+your 3 guardian alts, your cyno/scout alt, your falcon alt and your entire coalition sitting on a titan in range

Spaceprincess

People who put passwords on char bazaar Eveboards are the worst.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#6 - 2012-07-29 12:37:26 UTC
In every MMO the playerbase has degraded over the years and EvE is not exempt from that.

Wherease once you'd find a great number of small scale or even soloers the "In Blob We Trust" trash doctrine has gained foot and now in every MMO you'll see blobbers zerging everything. It's easy mode, you can use monkeys to do that, you will win and you will neatly pad killboards and kill vs death ratios e-peen meters.

In EvE, having harsh loss when you lose, blobbing is even more sought after. It's the way to make the game harsh... but only on somebody else.
Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#7 - 2012-07-29 12:47:39 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Not too long ago a single guy was a sov holding power so yea, solo players can do thangs.

Chribba is more than a man.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Hicksimus
Torgue
#8 - 2012-07-29 12:55:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Hicksimus
Wormhole space is about the closest you'll get to what you describe. Also, most people in there still fly in groups and usually they are more annoying groups than your typical nullsec or lowsec camp...wormhole groups have more e-war and cloakies.

Recruitment Officer: What type of a pilot are you? Me: I've been described as a Ray Charles with Parkinsons and a drinking problem.

Nex apparatu5
Blackwood Co.
#9 - 2012-07-29 13:02:16 UTC
Spoiler: There are people out there who solo PVP, so it's obviously not impossible. Maybe work at it for a little bit, lose some ships and get better instead of running to the forums when yo cant solo everything your first time out?
YuuKnow
The Scope
#10 - 2012-07-29 13:43:39 UTC
When Eve first launched there were about 7k players on simultaneously which felt too empty. After 1-2 years it grew to 15k simultaneously, so no it was not always omni-camped.

yk
Julius Rigel
#11 - 2012-07-30 17:54:13 UTC
Andre II wrote:
I always imagined there would be a SOLO aspect to eve, not pertaining only to high sec.
There are two Ms in "MMORPG". You seems to have a basic grasp of one, while the other has flown over your head entirely. I'll let you figure out which is which*.

*Hint: It's the "multiplayer" one.

Whoever decides to throw out yon ald "but just because it's an online game doesn't mean you have to play with others all the time, sometimes I just want to play a space game all by my lonesome", let me provide a rebuttal:

Freespace, Freelancer, X, Wing Commander, yadda yadda. There are dozens of perfectly fine single-player games that are probably a lot more fun that eve. There's no reason to put up with the terrible, online-optimized controls of EVE if you're not in it for the multiplayer.
Rengerel en Distel
#12 - 2012-07-30 18:17:53 UTC
Julius Rigel wrote:
Andre II wrote:
I always imagined there would be a SOLO aspect to eve, not pertaining only to high sec.
There are two Ms in "MMORPG". You seems to have a basic grasp of one, while the other has flown over your head entirely. I'll let you figure out which is which*.

*Hint: It's the "multiplayer" one.

Whoever decides to throw out yon ald "but just because it's an online game doesn't mean you have to play with others all the time, sometimes I just want to play a space game all by my lonesome", let me provide a rebuttal:

Freespace, Freelancer, X, Wing Commander, yadda yadda. There are dozens of perfectly fine single-player games that are probably a lot more fun that eve. There's no reason to put up with the terrible, online-optimized controls of EVE if you're not in it for the multiplayer.

Multiplayer means that others are playing at the same time, not that you have to play the game with them. Massively multiplayer means there are a lot of other players playing at the same time, and again, you don't have to play the game with all of them.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#13 - 2012-07-30 18:25:46 UTC
Is this the real life?

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Mallak Azaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2012-07-30 18:27:38 UTC
Andre II wrote:

There's plenty of empty systems out there to play around in.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Karl Planck
Perkone
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-07-30 18:41:58 UTC
yes there is plenty of 1-account solo action (whatever you like to do) out there. however, as far as wandering around for days not finding anyone, if there is no one around its almost always because there is nothing there worth fighting for.

I has all the eve inactivity

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#16 - 2012-07-30 18:45:56 UTC
Rengerel en Distel wrote:

Multiplayer means that others are playing at the same time, not that you have to play the game with them. Massively multiplayer means there are a lot of other players playing at the same time, and again, you don't have to play the game with all of them.

In Eve, you do.

If you buy anything on the market, you have to play with other players.

To truly play alone you must mine your own ore, buy your own blueprints, build your own ships, and then go shoot up your own npcs. (Or go self destruct your ship when you get tired of sharing space with yourself and decide to kick you out)

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#17 - 2012-07-30 18:47:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Multiplayer means that others are playing at the same time, not that you have to play the game with them.
Actually, that's pretty much exactly what it means.
Other people are playing X³ at the same time as me — perhaps even massive amounts of them — but it's the fact that I'm not playing with them that means it doesn't qualify as a multiplayer game.

Also, as War Kitten points out, the way EVE is designed, it's impossible not to play with other people.