These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ancillary Shield Boosters in PVE?

Author
En deav
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-07-26 21:02:07 UTC
I'm coming back from a long break from eve, and am going to L4 mission again.

I have a navy dom for missioning, with appropriate skills maxed, both armor and shield. I'm going to switch it to a shield gank domi for missioning, and was going to put in pith large shield boosters and etc. How do the new ancillary boosters fare in pve? How long can I expect to run a large or x-large booster? Should I just stick with a regular shield booster on a navy dom?
SB Rico
Sumo Wrestlers
#2 - 2012-07-26 21:08:25 UTC  |  Edited by: SB Rico
En deav wrote:

I have a navy dom for missioning, with appropriate skills maxed, both armor and shield. I'm going to switch it to a shield gank domi for missioning, and was going to put in pith large shield boosters and etc. How do the new ancillary boosters fare in pve? How long can I expect to run a large or x-large booster? Should I just stick with a regular shield booster on a navy dom?

OK simple answer is probably going to be stick to the normal kind.

Ancillaries are incredibly good (or if you are the nerf stuff type completely OP NERF NERF) in short bursts but they hold 13 charges and take 60 seconds to reload ie continuosly you can run one for 60 seconds maximum before it is unusable for 60 seconds. In a mission this is not ideal if you have to wait under aggro from a full pocket.

Dual ancillaries may work in missions (don't know haven't tried them) but honestly I would stick to the faction ones for ease of mind.

Scammers are currently selling killrights on this toon for up to 5mil, if you have paid for this service demand your money back at once.

Killing me should be for free.

En deav
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-07-26 21:11:53 UTC
SB Rico wrote:
En deav wrote:

OK simple answer is probably going to be stick to the normal kind.

Ancillaries are incredibly good (or if you are the nerf stuff type completely OP NERF NERF) in short bursts but they hold 13 charges and take 60 seconds to reload ie continuosly you can run one for 60 seconds maximum before it is unusable for 60 seconds. In a mission this is not ideal if you have to wait under aggro from a full pocket.

Dual ancillaries may work in missions (don't know haven't tried them) but honestly I would stick to the faction ones for ease of mind.

Ah I did not know they were unusable while being reloaded, thanks!
Copine Callmeknau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-07-27 01:07:40 UTC
Actually, I use an X-L ASB on my tanking drake.

It is a vast improvement on a regular drake tank, and I can easily handle minor annex or 6/10 plex now.
Much cheaper than the de facto plex HAC/T3

There should be a rather awesome pic here

Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#5 - 2012-07-27 02:55:15 UTC
I'd say that dual large ancillaries is a great move for any shield tanked battleship that previously sported a cap booster.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Tore Smith
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-07-27 09:12:31 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
I'd say that dual large ancillaries is a great move for any shield tanked battleship that previously sported a cap booster.

-Liang

I absolutely agree. I’d go so far to say it’s beautiful. Hope, they don’t nerf them too soon.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#7 - 2012-07-27 09:28:14 UTC
Just don't leave it running.

It's somewhat painful having your modules shut off, because you forgot to switch it off after the last charge is used (It then starts using hellacious amounts of cap)

And remember that when you switch it off (regardless of how many charges are in it), it will then reload. /If/ you have charges in your cargo. If you don't, then you can run it with impunity, stopping at will without a reload cycle. I wouldn't recommend depending on that though.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

SB Rico
Sumo Wrestlers
#8 - 2012-07-27 11:06:30 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:

-Liang

I would agree, I am actually quite a fan of the ASB for PVP, just not so sure of it in some PVE scenarios

Scammers are currently selling killrights on this toon for up to 5mil, if you have paid for this service demand your money back at once.

Killing me should be for free.

Tore Smith
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-07-27 11:47:09 UTC
SB Rico wrote:
I would agree, I am actually quite a fan of the ASB for PVP, just not so sure of it in some PVE scenarios

There are a few excellent PVE ships, which really work well with dual ASB setups. The Vargur is ofc the most obvious one. But I played around with my nightmare as well. I ran an xlarge Pith setup before, but now have switched to a large/xlarge ASB setup. The tank actually has improved and since I don’t need the cap booster and shield amp anymore, I can now run 2 TCs instead of one. And the coolest part about it is, that you actually get rid of THE bling module that causes ganks, namely the expensive dead space booster. Here’s what I fly now:

[Nightmare, ASB_missions]
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Tracking Enhancer II

X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 400
Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 150
Pithum C-Type EM Ward Amplifier
Pithum C-Type Thermic Dissipation Amplifier
Experimental 100MN Afterburner I
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script

Tachyon Beam Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency L
Drone Link Augmentor II
Responsive Auto-Targeting System I

Large Energy Discharge Elutriation II
Large Energy Discharge Elutriation II
Large Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Curator II x2
Hobgoblin II x5
carbomb
Super Team Munkey
#10 - 2012-07-27 12:01:28 UTC  |  Edited by: carbomb
personally i wouldn't recommend mixing asb sizes due to the differing charge sizes. you will not be making the most of your cargo hold.

In principal the asb in pve is a gd idea as it free's up some slots or rigs that you would normally use for cap recharge. However, on a practical note it has limitations. Most notably the size of your cargo hold(not such a problem with a marauder). You can only continue to tank for as long as you have cap booster charges, something that the old fashioned tank did not have a problem with. If you get stuck on a long mission and run low on charges, you will have to go dock and reload unless you have a hauler alt to come drop off some more. Should also bear in mind that if you are using anything larger than a medium asb you will want to be using navy cap charges and these will obviously eat into you isk/hour calculations as they cost significantly more than standard 50's. In the long run i still thing a low end faction tank will be more useful and cost effective than running asb's. As long as you dont get ganked :)
Pipa Porto
#11 - 2012-07-28 00:37:28 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Just don't leave it running.

It's somewhat painful having your modules shut off, because you forgot to switch it off after the last charge is used (It then starts using hellacious amounts of cap)

And remember that when you switch it off (regardless of how many charges are in it), it will then reload. /If/ you have charges in your cargo. If you don't, then you can run it with impunity, stopping at will without a reload cycle. I wouldn't recommend depending on that though.

Use Cans to organize your Cargo.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Lascero
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-07-28 01:43:53 UTC
Quote:
And remember that when you switch it off (regardless of how many charges are in it), it will then reload. /If/ you have charges in your cargo.

Even with Auto-reload turned off?
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#13 - 2012-07-28 02:03:49 UTC
huh. looks like I misread what the text says. If it's empty, it'll reload automatically. That's in the descriptive text. I've not tested it with autoreload turned off though.

Looks like I was wrong about the auto reload at other times.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Talon Kitsune
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-07-28 04:16:58 UTC
En deav wrote:

I've found any loadout that formerly used a cap booster to maintain the shield tank is a beautiful fit for an ASB. Frees up the slot from the cap booster with nearly the same performance output - or if you're really into tank or replacing a faction or officer mod just toss a boost amp into the former cap booster slot. As others have noted, dual ASB's are also pretty evil - just rotate the cycles to compensate for reload times and it's a perma tank.

While I personally prefer a hands off approach to missioning - cap stable or passive - I've found you can work just about any pulsing tank fit to work with ASB's with far greater results than trying to make them cap friendly with traditional boosters.