These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Furious about Gate Camping (how to survive)

Author
Larg Kellein
Bacon Appreciation Society
#41 - 2012-05-20 21:16:14 UTC
Shea Valerien wrote:

Does the use of EC drones cause your aggression timer to kick in? How about other damage or EW drones?

What if you just use regular ECM to break their lock? Does that trigger aggression?

TIA!

Yes to both. The list of things that don't is short: Scanning, remote repair and capacitor transfer (though those last ones can cause trouble in other ways soon enough)
Drakarin
Omnitech Corporation
#42 - 2012-05-21 17:43:44 UTC
Get an improved cloaking device, a microwarp drive and head to low sec. If you encounter a gate camp. don't panic. You have a few seconds of default cloak from jumping through the stargate. So what you want to do is find an astral body of any kind that you can warp to, that is in the opposite direction of the gate camping fleet.

What do want to do here is a bit tricky, and you should practice this in high sec before relying on it. Click on the align to button on the astral body you picked. As soon as you do this, click on your improved cloaking device and then immediately after, click the microwarp drive until it kicks in. You only have a couple second grace period where you're allowed to activate the MWD after activating the cloaking device.

When activated, click the MWD again so it'll shut off on the upcoming cycle. As soon as it does, decloak and warp to the astral body you're aligned to. You will warp instantly.

This works because in order to warp to a target instantly you need two things:

Firstly, you need to be perfectly aligned to the destination,

Secondly, you need to be at 3/4ths of your top ship velocity.

The reason this trick works is that the MWD increases your speed dramatically and pushes it well over your top speed when you aren't using it, so as soon as it's shut off, your speed will start to drop back down but it'll already be over the standard top speed of your ship. So as soon as you disable the cloak and click on "warp to" you will warp instantly.

Again this requires a lot of fast accurate mouse clicking but with a bit of practice it works very well. Practice it enough and no gate camp will ever get you. The only time this does not work is if you jump through the gate and end up 2 km from another player, if you're that close, you can't activate the cloaking device. That rarely happens though.

Good luck.
Lyric Lahnder
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#43 - 2012-05-23 14:44:58 UTC
Kathiri wrote:
Well I'm a noob to :p been playing eve off and on for years, and your right the first few times you claw your way onto a battleship or other shiny new toy only to lose it to a gank or gate camp really does deter people from still playing the game.

Really it deters you from playing the game? Why would you go to low sec for any reason knowing that as long as the other guy can tank the gate guns they can shoot you with impunity?

On default setting you get warned before entering a low sec system informing you exactly of what could happen on the other side. If you choose to enter reading that warning you choose to take on the risk. Its like Trading or gambling nothing is guaranteed, some times theres a margin call and most of the time the house wins.

"Pain with out tuition is wasted."

PVP is fun. PVP involves destroying other players ships regardless of who they are. If a choke point in low sec gives you a steady stream of ships to kill who wouldn't camp that pipe. Its not cheap its called strategy. By the way those camp able choke points are know to all sorts of folks meaning those people can get killed by other nastier gangs if they dont know what there doing. There is almost always a bigger fish in new edens dark seas.

When you enter low sec or null sec or even if you engage a thief that has stolen from you in a mission you implicitly agree to the fact that this fight may end in you loosing your ship.

You can move about low sec in something cloaky or fast. Running a mission in low or null sec is like running a site in a WH only with local, your mashing D'scan looking for combat probes and always checking to see who's new in system. In other words its a pain. If you want to mission mission. If you want to PVP, PVP. Dont try and do one and think you will be prepared for the other.

Noir. and Noir Academy are recruiting apply at www.noirmercs.com I Noir Academy: 60 days old must be able to fly at least one tech II frigate. I Noir. Recruits: 4:1 k/d ratio and can fly tech II cruisers.

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#44 - 2012-05-23 16:44:54 UTC
Will only add:

DON'T fly what you CAN'T AFFORD to loose.

Nuff said.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Hail Goddess
Tr0pa de elite.
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#45 - 2012-05-23 20:48:46 UTC
Some gate camps are just unsurvivable. Unless, you're cloaked + nullifier (strategic cruiser).
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#46 - 2012-05-23 21:54:56 UTC
Hey-o, have a link to my Cloak-MWD trick guide. There are many like it, but that one is mine. Cloak-MWD is not infallible, but it does give you a chance. The Drake has the spare high-slot to do it, and I've actually very frustratingly missed Drake kills in lowsec multiple times because of this trick. Make sure to practice it with a friend or something before trying it for real.

Other than that, if they have the firepower to kill a Drake on a lowsec gate... there is really not much you can do, at least in your Drake. Frigates usually get through just fine (and even then not all the time), but anything above that is too easy to catch.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Bunolagus
NIPTO
#47 - 2012-07-23 09:39:22 UTC
Ignore your friends and decline missions in lowsec. Lowsec is more trouble than it is worth.
Mexan Caderu
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-07-23 12:07:14 UTC
Bunolagus wrote:
Ignore your friends and decline missions in lowsec. Lowsec is more trouble than it is worth.

Best advice in 3 pages of replies...
Marc Callan
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#49 - 2012-07-23 13:24:46 UTC
Bunolagus wrote:

While you're still feeling out your way, that's good advice. As you get more experience, you'll figure out ways to evade the gate campers (ships which can mount covert-ops cloaks are a godsend for missions sending you to lowsec from hisec); as a newbie, tell the mission agents to take their missions to lowsec and cram them (you can do that once every 4 hours per agent with no repercussions).

Now, a Drake can potentially survive a gate camp long enough to crash back out the other side, but it's not a sure thing. You'll need to be running in a Drake with a T2 tank at the very least, and it may take a full-blown brick tank to get you through (3 shield purger rigs, triple or quadruple shield power relays, dual T2 large shield extenders, one or two mid-slot shield rechargers, EM ward amplifier and T2 invulnerability field). And a full brick tank comes at the expense of firepower and maneuverability.

And the general advice holds: don't fly something unless you can buy and fit out its replacement if something goes wrong (Murphy's Law is encoded into the EVE server farm, believe me; something will go wrong), and don't take a battlecruiser out shooting until you can fully T2-tank it. BC's are worth the extra money and time for that.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2012-07-23 13:33:21 UTC
yes, gate camping is the ultimate faggotry in this game. It's funny how they think they are so good at pvp and stuff, with them sitting on the hi-sec exit gate in perfect optimal range and insta lock ships with their little orca's right next to them.Roll

Use the F10 map to look for systems with lots of deaths
Fidelium Mortis
Minor Major Miners LLC
#51 - 2012-07-23 17:07:58 UTC
Hail Goddess wrote:
Some gate camps are just unsurvivable. Unless, you're cloaked + nullifier (strategic cruiser).

In low sec the nullifier is a waste of a subsystem since bubbles cannot be deployed.

ICRS - Intergalactic Certified Rocket Surgeon

Fidelium Mortis
Minor Major Miners LLC
#52 - 2012-07-23 17:11:54 UTC
Bunolagus wrote:

This is absolutely untrue:

1. Low sec missions have a substantially higher payout.
2. If you are prepared a lot of the risk can be reduced/mitigated.

The OP just went into low-sec unprepared with the idea that low-sec is a higher-risk extension of high-sec, when the factors that come into play are vastly different.

ICRS - Intergalactic Certified Rocket Surgeon

highonpop
Wildly Inappropriate
Goonswarm Federation
#53 - 2012-07-23 17:24:12 UTC  |  Edited by: highonpop
EVE GATE CAMP SURVIVAL 101

1 . Get in a fast frigate
2 . Go through lowsec gates

If you are in a frigate and you get caught at a lowsec gate camp, you're just doing it all wrong.

If you are in Nullsec, its a different story, you should be bouncing off the sun and other celestials to get a good scan on the gate to see if there is a bubble. IF the bubble is present, then the best course of action is to warp to the nearest planet/moon and warp to the gate from there. Most nullsec bubbles are in the direction of the sun/station/gate

Saying that the gate camp is the problem is not correct.

FC, what do?

Karl Planck
Perkone
Caldari State
#54 - 2012-07-23 20:06:51 UTC
cant help but point out that this was not a gate camp.

There is a lot of bad advice in here apart from the first few attempts at it. Ultimately it wont matter though, as most ppl either figure it out and move past high sec or don't and stay they until they become rank and file in null.

Here is an honest protip, your first few time to lowsec, don't head there for profit, head there to figure it out (recon work). Profit comes after understanding (same goes for null but bubbles make it less forgiving)

I has all the eve inactivity

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#55 - 2012-07-23 21:23:10 UTC
It's nice that you guys felt the need to chip in and echo some things that were covered in the first page of the thread, but is necroing a thread that's been dead for two months entirely necessary just to do little more than bump it without adding any content?

I assure you, it'll still show up in the search if people really need to find it.
Aeo Kai
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#56 - 2012-07-24 19:27:43 UTC
I read the first page, skimmed the rest, FYI. I see people saying "Take a shuttle" or "Fit a fast Frigate for relatively cheap" etc etc. What I didn't see anyone mention is Smart Bombs. Frigs and shuttles are great for getting around speedily, they suck, however, for slipping past gate camps in low sec. I learned the hard way that a favorite tactic of loser "veterans" with no life is to sit at a gate all day in a ship capable of tanking the gate guns and wait for innocent passer-by's only to pop 7 smart bombs as they try and scoot by. What happens is instant trip for said innocent back to wherever their clone happens to be stationed. Do not pass go, do not collect whatever you were going to collect in low sec. As far as I know (I'm new, been playing about a month) the only way to get past that little gem of a trick is to take a ship that can survive the smart bomb assault long enough to get through the gate. Ships like the OP's drake which is vulnerable to experienced tacklers. So, what's a noob to do?
Jenn Ymor
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#57 - 2012-07-25 12:22:28 UTC
Lyron-Baktos wrote:
yes, gate camping is the ultimate faggotry in this game. It's funny how they think they are so good at pvp and stuff, with them sitting on the hi-sec exit gate in perfect optimal range and insta lock ships with their little orca's right next to them.Roll

Use the F10 map to look for systems with lots of deaths

While this is a very good advice, you might still run into a gatecamp just being put in place, keep that in mind. Though not every gate is camped all the time. Generally speaking it is a good idea to plot a course, see where it takes you, and then have a look around if there is an alternative route, that takes a few jumps more, but is not very popular. Those tend to be less camped (again, not every gate is camped 24/7).
I'd still always let my scout (alt/another account) jump through first, just in case, if that doesn't work for you, jump in yourself in something cheap, prefarably insured, and not neccessarily in +5 imps. A few jumps into lowsec you are usally pretty "safe". (Until combat probes appear on your d-scan, god, i hate those. If you see them, just run, don't finish this or that ship, just run) While Low-Sec certainly has issues, mechanic or player-wise (there a lot of great folks there too ), it's a perfect place to get your adrenaline rush, and it is quite rewarding to have made it through a camp alive Cool
Phoenix Bibbs
Fweddit
Free Range Chikuns
#58 - 2012-07-26 13:52:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Phoenix Bibbs
Mike Whiite wrote:
The Atomium wrote:
Mike Whiite wrote:
If you want to try and taste low sec a little, with the least possible risk, run some distribution missions in a Blockade Runner.

Asuming you're Caldari (you're flying a drake)

try this crane:
*words*

So, you'll advice a newbie with 2.8m SP who can barely afford his Drake / whatever T1 ship to get a Crane with Tech 2 Rigs to try Gatecamp running?

lolno.

Miss typed the T2 riggs, although these t2 are very cheap 13 million/ but t1 will do the less than 3.5 aligntime

This set up is done in 16 days training from scratch and although the hull is expensive the fitting isn't overall the finacial difference with a fully fitted Drake is not that big.

and although this will take a little longer and it's more expensie that the 300k Virgil gets you pass gate camps, it will do no more than that. So you are in low sec, then what?

The option I presented will give him the oppertunity to actualy make a little ISK whle he makes him self familiar with low sec, create save spots and pave the road for the rest of your ships.

I don't know what implants you are putting in but it takes a helluva lot longer than 16 days to train for a Crane and then the appropriate fittings to make it effective. If he's having a hard time replacing a Drake I would definitely not recommend him trying to jump into a 140 million ISK Crane which is easily double the cost of a Drake (unless he's fitting T2 mods already, but even then the Crane will still be more expensive by a good deal).

You're giving crap advice, you're wrong on most of your information and you're telling him to break the first rule of EVE. It's been a while since my alt trained for a blockade runner but I believe it took close to 8 weeks to get it trained so I could fit and fly it correctly (correctly being the important word of that sentence).
Riedle
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2012-07-26 15:26:23 UTC
If losing your ship to PVP makes you furious low sec is not for you - this game may not be for you. But low sec is not.
Zicon Shak'ra
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2012-07-26 15:43:36 UTC
Lord X3n0s Aeon wrote:
Cameron Zero wrote:
Lord X3n0s Aeon wrote:
-How could I have beat that warp scramble? I hit warp THE second the menu populated on spawn.

You ARE going to get a lot of "don't go to low/null" or "don't fly what you can't afford to replace" comments, but to specifically address this point, there's really not much you can do.

Oh, sure, you could fit warp core stabilizers into your low slots so that you can travel more easily. Effectively, each WCS negates one "point" of warp disruptor strength - a warp disruptor is one "point" and a warp scrambler is two "points". NOTE: A ship can fit multiple disruptors/scramblers and can use them all on you, AND there are certain ships in the game which can put an "infinite strength" point on you.

There are severe drawbacks to using WCS, though, and the primary one is that they cut your targeting range a lot.

So, if you don't use WCS, how do you get through that gatecamp? Well, unless you're carrying superior firepower, you don't. So, here's how to avoid them in the future:

Before you jump into low/null sec, hop into a shuttle. Update your clone (move your medical clone somewhere close) and jump into the system you want to enter. A shuttle can warp nearly instantly, and only a specially fitted ship is going to catch you. Even if they do, you've lost a shuttle and not your 100m ISK battlecruiser.

Check dotlan maps for the systems you are going to be traveling through (specifically ships/pods killed in the past hour) and if you see a lot, avoid the system.

Huh, now there's a really good point. I never thought of checking the map's for killed ships. That seems like a really good idea.

Also, how does the shuttle thing work exactly? Run it once to see if it's clear, then one home, then one to get the battle cruiser there?

-Good points though guys, I appreciate the feedback. All that makes sense for 0.0, but 0.4? It seemed like now you have:

Empire -> insta-killin da noobs

What if you had:

Empire (noob haven) -> more profitable -> risky -> dangerous -> wild west

As in, things were more incremental?

That IS how it is. Lowsec isn't nearly as dangerous as null. In nullsec you can put down warp disruption bubbles that prevent warping while inside them. In other words, no targetting involved. I would advise reading up on both lowsec and nullsec before any further ventures... after all, you DID get a warning when you jumped into lowsec that people could try to kill you whenever they want. But like most people, you probably just ignored it.

Number one rule in EVE: Don't fly what you can't afford to lose (especially in low/null).

Wormholes are cool, m'kay?