These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proposal] Name Changing

First post
Author
Psichotic
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#141 - 2012-04-03 15:09:41 UTC
Name change = YES
Time = 1yr
Cost = 10M ISK
Record = Employment History

Nuff said.
Veruca Salt
#142 - 2012-05-16 08:32:35 UTC
It's just a standard and popular service feature for any mmo's older than 2-3 years out there.

Happy customers + constant stream of revenue = bigger budget for further development.
Asheru
Perkone
Caldari State
#143 - 2012-05-18 06:14:50 UTC
I don't think name changes will ever be appropriate for a game like Eve. Trust is hard-earned, and your name is your reputation. Being a thief in Eve isn't some arbitrary choice you make at the beginning of the game that dictates what skills you are given when you level up. Thief is a title that is placed upon you by the community because of your larcenous activities. Titles like this are irrevocably tied to your name. If you could just change your name on a whim, that entire dynamic goes out the window.
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#144 - 2012-05-18 08:01:54 UTC
Veruca Salt wrote:
It's just a standard and popular service feature for any mmo's older than 2-3 years out there.

Happy customers + constant stream of revenue = bigger budget for further development.

Just because other MMOs do it, does not mean that it would be good for Eve.

As for your happy customer maths... Nobody is going to quit playing eve because they cant change their name.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#145 - 2012-05-18 13:54:57 UTC
I would only support this if heavy restrictions were placed upon it's usage, such as; Changing the name of a character will permanently lock it to that account.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

evilphoenix
Horde Vanguard.
Pandemic Horde
#146 - 2012-05-18 15:54:47 UTC
I still like this.

Also we can now have three word names, this wasn't an option for many of us.
Veruca Salt
#147 - 2012-05-19 11:11:37 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Veruca Salt wrote:

As for your happy customer maths... Nobody is going to quit playing eve because they cant change their name.

Yeah, and nobody will be able to pay real money or whatever the price to use the service when the company fail to develop it.

It's not about you, not about EvE, it's about the customers unhappy with their name for nine frakking years. It's about time we get to access this service without disrupting your lazy countermeasure against scum & villany. And I do think the original poster suggested more than enough restrictions; or perhaps you could debunk it.
Ryan Easte
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#148 - 2012-05-27 04:19:53 UTC
Asheru wrote:
I don't think name changes will ever be appropriate for a game like Eve. Trust is hard-earned, and your name is your reputation. Being a thief in Eve isn't some arbitrary choice you make at the beginning of the game that dictates what skills you are given when you level up. Thief is a title that is placed upon you by the community because of your larcenous activities. Titles like this are irrevocably tied to your name. If you could just change your name on a whim, that entire dynamic goes out the window.

Bollocks. They can implement a record, something along the lines of "previously known as", "alias" etc. if a recruiter is stupid enough not to vet them properly then its his fault if he gets scammed. One can currently just buy an alt and do the same damage if they really wanted too.

I do not see any downside to allowing a once a year change or some such. It is not game breaking and it keeps the game fresh for those that perhaps are unhappy with there name choice.

i would happily pay RL Money or plex for this opportunity so i back it 100% EVE since Incarna seems to be about identity, so who cares what my avatar looks like if you are not happy with your name.
sirgath
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#149 - 2012-05-27 16:44:42 UTC
Now you have 100 likes, courtesy moi.
evilphoenix
Horde Vanguard.
Pandemic Horde
#150 - 2012-07-23 18:20:30 UTC
Has anyone approached one of the CSMs on this?
None ofthe Above
#151 - 2012-07-23 19:04:46 UTC
Ryan Easte wrote:
Asheru wrote:

Bollocks. They can implement a record, something along the lines of "previously known as", "alias" etc. if a recruiter is stupid enough not to vet them properly then its his fault if he gets scammed. One can currently just buy an alt and do the same damage if they really wanted too.

I do not see any downside to allowing a once a year change or some such. It is not game breaking and it keeps the game fresh for those that perhaps are unhappy with there name choice.

i would happily pay RL Money or plex for this opportunity so i back it 100% EVE since Incarna seems to be about identity, so who cares what my avatar looks like if you are not happy with your name.

Agreed in principle. Once a year (or perhaps even just once per character). Cost a Plex or two. FKA (Formerly Known As) Tab.

Next question would be if the old names should be released for new players or namechangers to use? Probably yes after a year or so, but not immediately.

The only end-game content in EVE Online is the crap that makes you rage quit.

Reiisha
#152 - 2012-07-24 06:01:02 UTC
Paulize Dn'Injer wrote:

Essential Features of Name Changing: These are "must have's"

• Searchability – If "Bob" changes his name to "Steve" searching “Bob” will link to “Steve”

Impossible to justify. That would mean "BoB" would not be available anymore. As EVE is a single universe, this would mean names would get more and more convoluted as they get taken - No character should occupy more than one 'name slot' as it were.

That said, i can't really support name changes. EVE promotes a certain amount of forward thinking and if you decided on "XxXxXxloviedovieXxXxXx" you should have thought about it more before comitting to it.

I can see the reasoning behind allowing it for the "it's EVE" thing, but when you can see the old names anyway i don't see the point of it after all. Doesn't make sense.

Rather than allow name changes and using character transfers as an answer, why not simply mark characters who have switched accounts? This way you'll know that the account has changed - Though it wouldn't make clear that the owner has changed aswell. In this regard you're fighting an uphill battle anyway.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Psichotic
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#153 - 2012-07-27 22:49:32 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Veruca Salt wrote:

Wow Jint, you should quit your job and go into marketing. With the ability to predict consumers' behavior with such a high degree of
certainty and precision you could make the entire process of market studies obsolete overnight! Lol

Fact is, its not that simple. Unhappy customers, like unhappy lovers, start thinking about leaving. It won't be one thing that makes you dump your girlfriend - it's a lot of things, and usually there has to be another girl in order for someone to end their current relationship. But if you are unhappy, and there is plenty to be unhappy about with Eve that CCP has no intention of fixing, eventually you will leave. It's just a matter of time and the final straw might be something quite trivial.
Jagga Spikes
Spikes Chop Shop
#154 - 2012-08-02 07:01:27 UTC
supporting for greater justice
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#155 - 2012-08-02 10:35:12 UTC
Thread is just the reason why we should have unlikes.

OP unliked Ugh (gosh if only we could....).
Soldier MCH
Doomheim
#156 - 2012-08-10 19:51:58 UTC
Agreed with implanting a name change. Just posted something about this not thinking of looking for something already posted
Kalla Vera Quiroga
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#157 - 2012-08-11 01:18:09 UTC
I'd really want this to go forward, I've been displeased with my name often, I didn't know last names were optional (Quiroga), would like to get rid of it, and unite Kalla Vera together. Its a simple small change for it, but not allowed. Sad
Revan Skyreaper
State War Academy
Caldari State
#158 - 2012-08-11 18:25:58 UTC
Let people change their names
Arch Ville
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#159 - 2012-08-18 07:38:44 UTC
Lets make this happen.

+1
Josef Djugashvilis
#160 - 2012-08-18 19:55:34 UTC
Think - choose name - problem should not exist.

I recognize a lot of the local names in my neighbourhood.

I do not want to have to read through bio's etc to find out if a new name in my area is an old name which has been changed.

It is bad enough with folk buying off the shelf characters.

My main has a female name - worse things happen in life.

I do understand that a new trial player may not choose their name wisely.

Live with your name or biomass.

This is not a signature.