These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Getting a new PC, how not to lose eve settings?

Author
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-07-21 10:49:12 UTC
Hey,

As title says I'm getting a new pc in the next couple of weeks and I don't want to lose my overview settings, my window positions and my bookmarks.

What files should I save and transfer to the new pc once i download eve on it?
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
ColdCutz
Frigonometry
#2 - 2012-07-21 13:00:57 UTC  |  Edited by: ColdCutz
They should be located under these Win7 and WinXP directories respectively:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\CCP\EVE\'game_installation_path'\
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\CCP\EVE\'game_installation_path'\

('game_installation_path' will be named whatever directory path EVE was installed in for you, something like c_program_files_eve or c_games_eve)

That folder contains 'settings' which stores all of your overview and browser bookmark data. It might be best to back up the 'cache' folder as well, since it contains Jukebox playlists you may have created in-game, and possibly some other things I overlooked.

Once you've copied the 'game_installation_path' folder to your flash drive or CD, etc. run EVE on your new PC, exit the game, and then replace the current 'settings' folder with your old one that you backed up.

Hope that's not too confusing.
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-07-21 14:02:57 UTC
Awesome, thx for your help Big smile
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Zanzbar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-07-21 14:44:27 UTC
There are also export and import options within the overveiw options In game
Ferumbras Palacious
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-07-22 11:41:03 UTC
Zanzbar wrote:

True, but this only exports the overview settings. Not the window positions, chat channels, bookmarks, etc
highonpop
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2012-07-23 15:33:19 UTC
Ferumbras Palacious wrote:
Zanzbar wrote:

True, but this only exports the overview settings. Not the window positions, chat channels, bookmarks, etc

I believe bookmarks are stored on CCP servers now. I had to dump all my settings once due to client issues and my bookmarks were the only things that got saved.

PS, confirming having to start over again with your settings sucks major donkey penis.

FC, what do?

Kyrin Ongrard
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-07-23 15:56:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyrin Ongrard
highonpop wrote:
Ferumbras Palacious wrote:
Zanzbar wrote:

I believe bookmarks are stored on CCP servers now. I had to dump all my settings once due to client issues and my bookmarks were the only things that got saved.

PS, confirming having to start over again with your settings sucks major donkey *****.

Can confirm that bookmarks are saved server side, reinstalled operating system about a week ago and they were the only things that i didnt lose in the process.

EDIT: also the part about remaking your overview :(
SAVANT Mahr
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-07-23 16:49:03 UTC
I just put eve on a new computer last week

dl new client
used import/export settings for personal fittings/overview... worked perfect (corp fittings are saved server side so no issues there)
bm's all appeared as normal

had to re-adjust ui but no big deal
had to re-add com channels, kinda sucked

who listens to music in eve? Lol

i considered moving folders from old comp but came to the conclusion that a fresh install might help prevent problems derived from running eve for 6 consecutive years on the same comp. Basicly I wanted that "New Car Smell" (i did however back up the old comp files...never know when you might have to throw some old chat log in somebody's face) Twisted
Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#9 - 2012-07-23 17:08:50 UTC
An overall "export settings to one big-ass file" option would be nice to have when moving your EVE install between computers, I have a link to a thread in my sig.