These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is ganking PvP?

Author
Viktor Fyretracker
Emminent Terraforming
#61 - 2012-07-21 22:22:57 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Commit Sudoku wrote:
my father disowned me after he found out i play eve

Mine just laughs at me , and tells me to act my age and stop playing kids games.

that is when you make sure to note all the sports he watches and point out there is more brain cells in use during a video game than drinking beer and watching a bunch of grown men chase a ball around a field.

EVE is like swimming on a beach in shark infested waters,  There is however a catch...  The EVE Beach you also have to wonder which fellow swimmer will try and eat you before the sharks.

Pipa Porto
#62 - 2012-07-21 22:29:44 UTC
Viktor Fyretracker wrote:
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Commit Sudoku wrote:
my father disowned me after he found out i play eve

Mine just laughs at me , and tells me to act my age and stop playing kids games.

that is when you make sure to note all the sports he watches and point out there is more brain cells in use during a video game than drinking beer and watching a bunch of grown men chase a ball around a field.

*COUGH*Alliance Tournament*COUGH*

And chasing space pixels around a space themed bathtub isn't really something to get haughty about.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

George Whitebread
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#63 - 2012-07-21 22:38:15 UTC
Why the wall of text in your OP, Mia?

This:

Quote:
Is ganking PvP?

...is more than enough. As explained by someone else on the first page: The ganked one is a player. The ganker is a player = Player versus player.

"I say what I like, and I like what I bloody well say" - George Whitebread

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#64 - 2012-07-21 22:44:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Richard Desturned
Malcanis wrote:
I guess your parents are pretty proud that you're "relevant" in a video game.

sure why not

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#65 - 2012-07-21 23:32:37 UTC
I don't think bots send the kind of colourful mails that some gankees send.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Bootleg Jack
ACME Mineral and Gas
#66 - 2012-07-22 00:34:39 UTC
Yes, ganking is PvP...

I'm an American, English is my second language...

kurg
Order of the Divine Shadow
#67 - 2012-07-22 00:45:06 UTC
No it is not PvP!! and those that say it is are cowards, PvP is when two parties engage in battle, not engaging someone that does not have a fighting chance, Not in a mining ship without the ability to even defend its self.
Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#68 - 2012-07-22 01:05:15 UTC
kurg wrote:
No it is not PvP!! and those that say it is are cowards, PvP is when two parties engage in battle, not engaging someone that does not have a fighting chance, Not in a mining ship without the ability to even defend its self.

O god you mad bro?
Pipa Porto
#69 - 2012-07-22 01:12:32 UTC
kurg wrote:

Who chose to put themselves in a position where they can't fight back (or get their friends to do it)?

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Ludi Burek
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#70 - 2012-07-22 01:49:16 UTC
These types of people will always say that ganking is not pvp:

a) Delusional nerds who think they are elite

b) Terrible players who need miner ganking to not be classed as pvp so their pathetic efforts appear better in their own eyes

c) The I'm mad bro miners

The rest of us get eve.
Watooshi Makoochji
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2012-07-22 02:58:41 UTC
Grumpymunky wrote:
Suicide gankers continue to fight bravely despite being faced with certain death and impossible odds, making them the most honourable warriors in EVE.

A monkey who appreciates the humor of a well-done spaceship game.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#72 - 2012-07-22 03:02:42 UTC
kurg wrote:

Cowards eh?

I mined in Gallente space during the Ice interdiction.

And ganking is PvP, player vs player. It does not mater if it is consensual.

Also, if you fly right, a mining ship is practically invincible to ganking... in the belt...
And it has defenses, drones for one. A lot of Hulks end up on the plus side of KMs due to drones.
There was also that smartie Hulk, got some kills.
Herr Hammer Draken
#73 - 2012-07-22 06:09:07 UTC
Mia Trask wrote:
I am a miner and in my life time on eve i have been ganked (in my hulk) twice the first time i will chalk it up to my bad i had no tank and broadcasted my location (a few jumps from jita) during a hulkageddon event. I was adamant this wouldn't happen again so fitted a shield tank and had an orca rep me so i could still max my yield...the day came when those cruisers targeted me and i think i fudged up by shield repping to soon as the mod didn't get to do two cycles off before i popped.
The gankers didn't have someone on hand to salvage and i managed to get a noctis to the belt and clean up before they came back(they didn't).I salvaged quite allot and after a quick glance at their fits this has confirmed my suspicions that hulk ganking is profitable on its own without the hulk bounty.
Now then ...I don't mine all the time(can't now as i can't afford another mining barge) i enjoy pvp aswell in fact although i consider myself a miner i spend more time scouting and practicing maneuvers. I also happen to agree that hulks belong in low-null sec and orcas are an abomination of high sec.
I'm going off topic I have kill rights on two people and i thought i would let the dust settle and hunt down and gank them in their pve ships. so alts at the ready location agents used and the buggers ain't logged on since.I think this maybe a time zone problem or they are alts as they have moved systems a few times but never when I'm online. My goal wasn't to catch them out in pvp ships but maybe a miner or hauler or if I'm lucky a mission ship an eye for an eye.I have given up i suck at high sec pvp...now to my point... its not really pvp thou is it ,Ganking i mean you never see these guys roaming low secs, i have overheard a few vets offering to introduce new players and miners into pvp by teaching them how to gank mining ships but really its just target practice isn't it, oh yes there is a nak to it but lets be honest its a no risk operation just as shooting fish in a barrel isn't fishing ganking is just a time attack to get your dps high enough to pop the target before the fuzz get there not Player vs Player is it?.I don't know prove me wrong.
To me eve is a pvp game and ganking is an exploit not steel to steel pvp.

What you are missing is the game mechanics. Because of the way the game works those gankers are the alts. Not the mains.
The alts are only used when they feel the urge to gank someone. It is too hard to keep a ganker pilot up in sec status to be usefull for anything else in eve. So they use the main when doing anything else like PvE but when they feel like ganking again they switch to the alt. The only time you will find them active online is when they are flying around in a gank ship hunting a target. Good luck, just be careful as you are using your main industrial toon for this so a sec status loss for your main will be very costly to your operations in high sec.

Herr Hammer Draken "The Amarr Prophet"

Mag's
Azn Empire
#74 - 2012-07-22 09:37:44 UTC
kurg wrote:
This made me laugh and it got many responses. Lol

8/10

Oh and yes it is.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#75 - 2012-07-22 10:24:58 UTC
kurg wrote:
PvP is when two parties engage in battle

you're right, the miners are not another party, they're bots

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Bunnie Hop
Bunny Knights
#76 - 2012-07-22 10:27:41 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
kurg wrote:

Yes because everyone in hi sec mining is a bot Roll
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#77 - 2012-07-22 10:34:15 UTC
Bunnie Hop wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:
kurg wrote:

Yes because everyone in hi sec mining is a bot Roll

Turns out that was close to the truth in Caladri space.
DrSmegma
Smegma United
#78 - 2012-07-22 11:15:10 UTC
Mia Trask wrote:

Is ganking PvP?

Yes it is.

Eve too complicated? Try Astrum Regatta.

Leonard Lannister
Void Associates
#79 - 2012-07-22 12:23:51 UTC
Yes
Sugar Kyle
Middle Ground
#80 - 2012-07-22 13:27:19 UTC
There seem to be some confused between PvP and ehonor. They are not the same thing

The view should not be that miner gankers are looking for honor, glory, fair fights, or whatever. It should be that they are playing the game they want to play the way they want to play it.

Often the 'why' is just because and it ends there. Nonconsensual space ship violence is part of the game. To assume that everyone logged on subscribes to one moral compass is rather silly. Don't shoot miners if you don't want to. No one is forcing anyone to take up ganking.

Member of CSM9 and CSM10.