These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

ships needing fuel

Author
Apollo Zanzibar
Pixar INC
Pandemic Horde
#1 - 2012-07-20 00:20:01 UTC
I would like to see all ships needing fuel..also would like the option to beable to rescue ships that may have ran out of fuel or even have limited damage by rats that make pilots stranded until they get help..I would like to see rats take out systems and leaving rather then kill the whole ship sometimes..Lets do it..make the change i am sure others have more ideas on this
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#2 - 2012-07-20 01:02:52 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Why? All this will do is encourage people to "claim" an area and never leave. It also discourages solo and small gang roams in addition to making logistics vastly more tedious and time consuming.

Sometimes realism has to take a back seat for better gameplay.

edit: this is what happened in the last thread where this idea was brought up.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=120617#post120617
Hiyora Akachi
Advanced Hole Theory
#3 - 2012-07-20 01:06:53 UTC
Logistics hell.
Jiska Ensa
Estrale Frontiers
#4 - 2012-07-20 01:16:13 UTC
No. God no. Capital ship fueling is bad enough. Besides, your ship already has one kind of fuel: Capacitor. If you run out, you can't warp very far, and have to wait for the capacitor to recharge before resuming your trip.

If you think for one moment that is trivial, try flying a passive-shield Myrmidon - you get about 2 systems before it starts taking you 20 minuts per system to warp between gates :P

What you are suggesting would grind spaceflight to a halt.
Apollo Zanzibar
Pixar INC
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2012-07-20 01:21:30 UTC
I think flying spaceships should be harder to do ..unlimited fuel is not realistic..the game needs this and i am sure people will come up with a way to over come the logistics too..it is called planning something that is not required to do now...and people seam to not beable to plan anymore...they want things handed to them ...lets make people think more
Hiyora Akachi
Advanced Hole Theory
#6 - 2012-07-20 01:38:09 UTC
Yes, logsitics would overcome it. But when new players join, are they going to be aware of this? You're also assuming this games community would help a disabled ship rather than turn it into a pile of space junk.
Apollo Zanzibar
Pixar INC
Pandemic Horde
#7 - 2012-07-20 01:41:02 UTC
it would be the same way if you were in high sec or low sec your option
Apollo Zanzibar
Pixar INC
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2012-07-20 01:49:14 UTC
New players will learn the same way they find out that some one can steal their jettison ore while mining
Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#9 - 2012-07-20 02:44:14 UTC
No dude... worst suggestion this year X

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Katerwaul
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-07-20 02:45:13 UTC
We have these -- they're called ships with jump drives.
Working with everyone to improve New Eden -- Internet Spaceships Iz Serious Business.
Apollo Zanzibar
Pixar INC
Pandemic Horde
#11 - 2012-07-20 04:12:45 UTC
jump drives is not for all ships...i am talking all ships with limited fuel
leviticus ander
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-07-20 08:00:16 UTC
what could work is that you use fuel for sub-luminar speeds, but hen when you go into warp, you use cap instead since you're just folding space which just needs pure powerful force rather than reaction mass.
this would allow you to travel almost infinitely without using fuel since aligning is not done with regular thrusters but rather attitude adjustment thrusters. these explanations would mean that if you run out of fuel, you could align and warp out to (relative) safety.
this would mean that fuel would be needed for mission runners, and a large amount of the PVP you see out there right now.
possible, noobships could be fuel free like the civie weapons don't need ammo, along with those shuttles could be fuel free too. the explanation as to why these don't use fuel and other don't is that maybe the engines in larger formats are highly unstable and it was determined to not be worth it to try and make them compatible. by this same explanation, maybe make the exploration covops ships not use fuel either.
also, to the OP, it's be able, two words, not one.
Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-07-20 08:34:22 UTC
Jiska Ensa wrote:
No. God no. Capital ship fueling is bad enough. Besides, your ship already has one kind of fuel: Capacitor. If you run out, you can't warp very far, and have to wait for the capacitor to recharge before resuming your trip.

If you think for one moment that is trivial, try flying a passive-shield Myrmidon - you get about 2 systems before it starts taking you 20 minuts per system to warp between gates :P

What you are suggesting would grind spaceflight to a halt.

Only if your cap skills suck (warp drive operation included) and you fit the myrm like a ******.
Hiyora Akachi
Advanced Hole Theory
#14 - 2012-07-20 14:11:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Hiyora Akachi
Also. Demand increases, so does the price.

Think about that for a bit.

Then think about that idea in the EvE marketplace.
Uris Vitgar
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-07-20 14:47:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Uris Vitgar
ShahFluffers wrote:
It also discourages solo and small gang roams in addition to making logistics vastly more tedious and time consuming.

I too am concerned about this, but remember, spaceships in eve carry fusion reactors which use hydrogen as fuel. What if ships could use their forcefields to scoop hydrogen from nearby gas giants? That would be beyond cool. Almost every system in the game has a few gas giants, and having to stop for fuel would create opportunities for fights and have some interesting strategic implications.

In my opinion, if you run out of fuel you should still be able to warp fine on backup power, but modules would cost twice as much and align time would be 5-20 times as long. That would make you a sitting duck, easily scanned down and attacked, but it wouldn't stop the game or force you to self-destruct to get home
Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#16 - 2012-07-20 14:51:14 UTC
I don't really see any useful addition to the game from this. I can see a lot of annoying additions to the game but nothing of any real use.

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#17 - 2012-07-20 14:58:26 UTC
Bubanni wrote:
No dude... worst suggestion this year X

Honestly, not even. There've been atleast a dozen or more worse suggestions on this forum. This is just a really bad idea, there are some truly epic facepalm threads.
Ruareve
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-07-20 15:46:35 UTC
No, this would just add tedium to the game for no good reason. Plenty of other things time should be spent on.

Yet another blog about Eve- http://ruar-eve.blogspot.com/

Apollo Zanzibar
Pixar INC
Pandemic Horde
#19 - 2012-07-22 16:23:44 UTC
this would create another challenge in eve and require planning..make it happen
Marcus Septer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2012-07-22 17:52:09 UTC
I do think in realism the ships need a fuel requirement, with a full tank the range should be vast. I know that it would to be a logistic pain and would suck for all those AFK cloaky guys who sit in one system logged in for 8 weeks. would it add more immersion-yes, pain in the ass- yes = eve online
12Next page