These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

[FCO] Speech from the Chancery

Author
Bastian Valoron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-07-15 01:04:22 UTC
Speech given at the Federal Consensus Outreach alliance meeting on 14-07-114YC

Yesterday, I was watching Caille through the panorama window in the Gallente Lounge.

The unmistakable jagged skyline of the city is unmistakable - spires and skyscrapers, splendor and development, constantly in slow motion towards higher levels of sophistication, as a result of countless individual decisions and actions.

This triumph of human advancement has persisted for thousands of years, and there is no end in sight. In contrast, we have more experience and better tools to let progress win more ground by every passing day.

The ships we fly are constantly getting more sophisticated. Our citizens are better educated and fashionable than ever, our buildings reach higher and higher into the sky, and we, capsuleers, are the most devastating weapon mankind has ever produced.

The Federation is the only democracy in New Eden, and there is no other society which is more dedicated to letting everyone to be themselves and pursue the interests they find important. It is the embodiment of happiness and love.

The destiny and ultimate goal of all cultural, social, scientific, technological and military progress is to enable people to get closer to their dreams.

In my vision of the future, the war has ceased. The skylines of Caille, Troux, Lenoika, Radonis, Rens, Poitot and Asakai are jagged with Crystal Spires, and all peoples of New Eden co-exist in a joyful, democratic union, co-operating and respecting one another.

There is no reason why this cannot be achieved during the lifetime of our generation. By working together, we can meet this challenge, beat every obstacle that comes our way and finally bring the history of mankind to its highest culmination.
Scherezad
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#2 - 2012-07-15 01:19:22 UTC
You have a beautiful dream, Mister Baloron. I wish you good fortune in your task. Moreso, I wish you wisdom and prudence. Crystal is fragile. I hope that you do not break your crystal spires, and that their opalescence is not tarnished by blood-stained hands.

Many profits to you and yours.
Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-07-15 02:03:44 UTC
Bastian Valoron wrote:
The Federation is the only democracy in New Eden, and there is no other society which is more dedicated to letting everyone to be themselves and pursue the interests they find important.

Bastian Valoron wrote:
In my vision of the future, the war has ceased. The skylines of Caille, Troux, Lenoika, Radonis, Rens, Poitot and Asakai are jagged with Crystal Spires, and all peoples of New Eden co-exist in a joyful, democratic union, co-operating and respecting one another.

I too envision a future of peace, but our visions are vastly different. Do not think the undertones of your message are lost on me, chancellor. Your vision of future peace requires that all people of the cluster be subservient to your Federal democracy, that your form of government be impressed upon or embraced by all.

The irony of your statement is simple, you claim the Federation is the most dedicated society to letting everyone be themselves, yet state that only when all people are "united" under your democracy will peace exist and further claim that everyone should respect one another while you continue to suggest that only the Federation's law system and government are worth maintaining; a claim that inherently disrespects all other peoples and governments.

I am not often one to challenge a message such as yours with hostility, but masking your dreams of conquest with passive aggressive wordplay and illustrative poetry is dishonorable, at best. Peace can happen, it can start when your Federation realizes that people are free to govern themselves and free to be independent of you.

~Malcolm Khross

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#4 - 2012-07-15 02:37:06 UTC
Darker things have been said in alliance meetings, Khross-haan. Let the man have his dreams.

We'll be there to stop him when they infringe on ours.

Katrina Oniseki

Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-07-15 03:45:32 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
Darker things have been said in alliance meetings, Khross-haan. Let the man have his dreams.

We'll be there to stop him when they infringe on ours.

They already do, and we're already there.

~Malcolm Khross

Tycho Antus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-07-15 04:36:58 UTC
Reclamation Technologies reluctantly announces its withdrawal from Federal Consensus Outreach.

RECLT continues to support Federal defensive actions against State aggressors within Federal Union boundaries. We wish our former associates every success in their new endeavors.

Tycho Antus

Former Captain in the Federation Navy

Chief Executive Officer of Reclamation Technologies

Rogue Integer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2012-07-17 03:48:13 UTC
Bastian Valoron wrote:

There is no reason why this cannot be achieved during the lifetime of our generation. By working together, we can meet this challenge, beat every obstacle that comes our way and finally bring the history of mankind to its highest culmination.

When you say "the lifetime of our generation," I assume you refer to your peers and not the baseliner masses teeming with disease, hatred, and ignorance. In which case, I fully agree, because until we reject open conflict in support of ancient hierarchical structures, we simply will not make any significant progress.

Does your dream also include the rights of self-organized groups outside the Federation structure that follow democratic principles? That is, assuming they provide substantially similar guarantees of rights to their members, do you recognize their right to peaceful and cooperative co-existence with your Federation?

If we agree on these two points, then I share your dream.
Halete
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-07-17 06:26:47 UTC
Those are awfully deadly, pretty words, Bastian.. I too see the undertones to your dream and they sicken me.

Give me one reason why I should appreciate your dream any more than Sansha Kuvakei's vision.

From where I stand, there is little difference between you and that man.

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin" - The Scriptures, Book of Missions 13:21

Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#9 - 2012-07-17 07:21:24 UTC
Bastian Valoron wrote:

The Federation is the only democracy in New Eden, and there is no other society which is more dedicated to letting everyone to be themselves and pursue the interests they find important. It is the embodiment of happiness and love.

The destiny and ultimate goal of all cultural, social, scientific, technological and military progress is to enable people to get closer to their dreams.

That almost sounds as though you want impose your values on the rest of New Eden.

How terribly democratic of you.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
#10 - 2012-07-17 07:24:44 UTC
Bastian Valoron wrote:

And in my vision the huge beams of energy are landing from above and cutting Crystal Spires, citadel torpedoes exploding, putting down buildings like card boxes, and the sky is turning red from flames on ground.
Only then, when you feel how it feels when your home planet is being bombarded, you might drop your funny ideas about forcing your stupid democracy unto others!

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Lyn Farel
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#11 - 2012-07-17 12:50:42 UTC
Unity may be achieved someday, but that will unlikely be through factionnalism.
Bastian Valoron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-07-18 18:53:43 UTC
I wish to thank for the responses. A common theme among the comments seems to be a profound lack of faith in factionalism.

However, perhaps it is not accurate to label the Federation as a faction. No single culture, tradition, religion or corporate structure dominates it, or can ever even hope to dominate it. The Federation and its allies are merely a union of free people brought together by common need to secure everyone's equal right to follow to their own conscience and pursue their dreams free of tyranny.

To avoid collisions between the limits of individual liberties, we naturally arrive at the concept of constitution. If one removes tyranny from any system of governance, the end result will be democracy. If one seeks to build a society without violence or coercion, the basic tenets of Federal coexistence will inevitably emerge from the depths of pure, cold logic.

Thus, the Federation is not characterized accurately as an artificially constructed power scheme or a faction. The Federation is the natural habitat of mankind, and the last, best hope for freedom in the whole New Eden.
Saxon Hawke
Intaki Liberation Front
Intaki Prosperity Initiative
#13 - 2012-07-18 19:17:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Saxon Hawke
Bastian Valoron wrote:

The skylines in Poitot have no spires. Because the Intaki exiles were forbidden from colonizing the planets and moons, they live their entire lives within the confines of space stations. For generations, they have been breathing mechanically recycled air and only seeing land from tens of thousands of miles away.

Your speeches are full of fine talk, but fine talk and dreams of sunny days cannot undo the past sins of your glorious Federation.

You will excuse me if I don't make my ancestors' mistake of buying into your promises of Utopia.
Halete
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-07-18 21:53:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Halete
Bastian Valoron wrote:
I wish to thank...

Dribble.

Blather.

Empty words.

Easily digestible pro-Federation slogan.

Okay.

For a moment I made the mistake of thinking you were going to actually be interesting and not just another Federal drone.

EDIT: You'll have to forgive me, Saxon, for such a biting post following your own. Your words were surprisingly moving and succinct.

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin" - The Scriptures, Book of Missions 13:21

Rogue Integer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-07-18 21:59:42 UTC
Bastian Valoron wrote:
Thus, the Federation is not characterized accurately as an artificially constructed power scheme or a faction. The Federation is the natural habitat of mankind, and the last, best hope for freedom in the whole New Eden.

I'll take your spectacular display of incoherent thinking and bad posting as a "no" to my question.
Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
#16 - 2012-07-19 10:50:12 UTC
Bastian Valoron wrote:
If one removes tyranny from any system of governance, the end result will be democracy.

Almost right. Such archaic systems as democracy or anarchy will result of revolt, riot or any other takedown of legitimate government, that becomes unprofessional and loses the control.
Of course, when government loses control it should be taken down. However, in order to make new proper government, democracy or anarchy must be replaced by something you would call "tyranny".
Preventing of organizing professional government by holding democracy in power for too long is a crime against peoples and humanity.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Horak Thor
Angry Mustellid
#17 - 2012-07-19 11:14:22 UTC
Diana Kim wrote:
Bastian Valoron wrote:

And in my vision the huge beams of energy are landing from above and cutting Crystal Spires, citadel torpedoes exploding, putting down buildings like card boxes, and the sky is turning red from flames on ground.
Only then, when you feel how it feels when your home planet is being bombarded, you might drop your funny ideas about forcing your stupid democracy unto others!

Ah irony, an amarrian speciality it seems

Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#18 - 2012-07-19 11:50:36 UTC
Horak Thor wrote:

For the record, Diana Kim isn't Amarrian, she's merely working for the Empire at present. Her views are also her own and not to be taken as the collective view of a greater majority of people.

~Malcolm Khross

Lyn Farel
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#19 - 2012-07-19 12:40:46 UTC
Horak Thor wrote:
Diana Kim wrote:
Bastian Valoron wrote:

Pots and kettles.
Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#20 - 2012-07-19 12:41:37 UTC
Rens' skyline looks quite beautiful as it is, with its emerging modern Minmatar skyline against the backdrop of more traditional structures, thank you very much.

EDITED: Punctuation is hard

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

12Next page