These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship for Serpentis Space...

Author
Ricky Caliente
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-07-16 23:29:53 UTC
I hope I don't sound stupid for writing this post, but heregoes...

My current character can fly both Gallente and Caldari ships. Can fly BCs very well, just working my way up to BS proficiency due to only being able to use T2 large rails on Gallente ships and still working for T2 torps/cruise on Caldari. I am at L3 on both BS. My drone skills are very good, can fly T2's across the board for large, about 2 weeks away from T2 sentries. I am looking to move out to Fountain, specifically to hunt Serpentis in their home systems. I recently went out, scanned down all their home systems and know where their big sites are. My question is this: What would be the best ship for me to fly out there? I was looking at Navy Domi since I already have T2 rails and T2 drones, but not sure how to fit ships. Could also fly CNR, but I don't have skills yet for T2 missiles. What do you think would work better against Serps? Also, please post suggested fits, looking to stay around 2-3 bil for cost. Thanks!
Windorian
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-07-16 23:56:23 UTC
Tengu is an obvious choice. Serpentis are weak to Kin dmg, which is the Tengu's bread n butter.

Another solid choice is the Ishtar. Against serpentis it really shines, since it can get obscene Kin resistance (mine has 96%) with a high dmg fit thanks to the new drone dmg mods. If you wanna go old-school, a heavy/med drone fit using a passive shield tank is hard to beat in Serpentis sites.

Vanilla Dominix works great as is. The only reason to use a navy Domi is if you want that extra mid slot for a shield tank setup. Again, thanks to the new drone dmg mods, Gallente ships are getting more use then ever.

Roosterton
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-07-16 23:57:44 UTC
CNR? Navy Domi? I hope you realize that Fountain is 0.0, and the locals will make an extra effort to pop you if they see you flying such slow, expensive, and vulnerable ships.

You really don't need anything so risky if you want to fight complexes in nullsec; preferably, something small to medium sized, with a microwarpdrive and a cloak. If you have friends who can scout for you and help you run the sites, use them.

As for what ships you actually should use, I really don't know the Serpentis complexes that well, so no clue, but bear this in mind before you start taking blinged out battleships into null. I would assume that you can run most of them in a Drake, with MWD+cloak to try and survive gatecamps along the way.
Arushia
Nova Labs
The Belt of Iron
#4 - 2012-07-17 09:05:28 UTC
Ricky Caliente wrote:
looking to stay around 2-3 bil for cost. Thanks!

2-3 bil in Fountain?

Keep it cheap and use a T2-fitted Ishtar.
Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-07-17 13:37:44 UTC
start with battlecruisers.

Drake will put most sites to shreds, use a travel set up to get there.

As mentioned before, solo BS are big glowing targets in 0.0

Tengu will probably be the best combination considering damage dealing and survivability
Batelle
Filthy Peasants
#6 - 2012-07-17 14:17:47 UTC
Ricky Caliente wrote:
I hope I don't sound stupid for writing this post, but heregoes...

able to use T2 large rails on Gallente ships and still working for T2 torps/cruise on Caldari. I am at L3 on both BS. My drone skills are very good, can fly T2's across the board for large, about 2 weeks away from T2 sentries.

IMO train your gal BS and sentries to lvl 5 and ignore t2 torps and cruise missiles. They're all kinds of meh.

Quote:
I am looking to move out to Fountain, specifically to hunt Serpentis in their home systems. I recently went out, scanned down all their home systems and know where their big sites are. ... Navy Domi ...CNR...2-3 bil for cost. Thanks!

Oh boy, don't do it bro. Honestly its fine if you have an expensive ship, but you do NOT want to take a pirate battleship. They're slow as balls and have a giant bullseye on them, and this WILL translate into less isk made shooting red crosses. I would HIGHLY recommend a somewhat-pimped tengu or ishtar. With a tengu, you can get out to your target system with cloak and nullifier, and refit for a t2 cloak and the offensive subsystem once you get to your target system. With the ishtar I would again go with a t2 cloak and mwd. Both ships really benefit from throwing on some deadspace mods. For the tengu you'll have issues with ammo, since your cargo hold is big but you'll also have to lug out extra subsystems. The Ishtar has a bigger cargohold and doesn't need to bring ammo, and can still be quite agile and hard to catch with a mwd/cloak. If you HAVE to take a battleship i might suggest the Machariel, simply for its superb speed and agility.

Regardless, from the tone of your post, I expect this to end badly.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Shpenat
General Defense Union
Transgress
#7 - 2012-07-17 14:34:55 UTC
I dont know about null sec complexes, but in low sec you can end up being damped below 10km lock range. Having drones to do the killing is bonus here so I would recommend ishtar.

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-07-17 16:08:49 UTC
Shpenat wrote:
I dont know about null sec complexes, but in low sec you can end up being damped below 10km lock range. Having drones to do the killing is bonus here so I would recommend ishtar.

FoF also works ok, but a drone boat is better

I should buy an Ishtar.

Ricky Caliente
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-07-18 21:05:44 UTC
Thanks for all of the info. Working on the T2 sentries now, should be a big help shortly. Almost forgot about the rule about taking big shiny ships to nullsec, lol. Like I said, didn't want to sound stupid with my post. One quesions I would like to ask though, since I can already fly this ship. Would a Proteus with T2 sentries and a good T2 rail fit work? If so, does anyone have a fit that would work well vs. Serps? I have a few Prot's ready, just want to make sure that I can get the most out of them. Also, any implant suggestions would be useful as well. Thanks!