These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Gate Camping (Choke Entry Points) Discourages entering LoSec/Null

Author
Lord Drex
Nada Logi
#141 - 2012-07-16 19:30:52 UTC
Life in eve...
Industrialists, explorers, traders, pve'rs VS the rebels.. Pvp'rs

Just be happy CCP loves the goons accounts and CCP loves isks sinks
Plaude Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#142 - 2012-07-16 19:33:05 UTC
If you have a problem with Gate Camping blobs, here's a suggestion: Cloak, fly fast or bring a bigger blob yourself. And use a scout to... well, scout ahead for you.

New to EVE? Want to learn? The Crimson Cartel will train you in the fields of _**your **_choice. Mainly active in EU afternoons and evenings. Contact me for more info.

Heinrich Rotwang
Spectre Fleet Corporation
#143 - 2012-07-16 19:38:34 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Not at the expense of the spirt of the game. EVE IS HARSH, if we wanted easy we'd play a themepark game.

Life is only black and white. Shades of gray cause me headaches and progress is always bad, because it means change *shudder*. Please get me back to the retirement home now. I'm scared by the youngsters over there.
Guy Marmalade
Doomheim
#144 - 2012-07-16 19:41:57 UTC
Honestly, not sure what the fuss is all about but they can camp my gate anytime.

I am not gay, just fancy.

Abannan
Jerkasaurus Wrecks Inc.
Sedition.
#145 - 2012-07-16 19:46:31 UTC
Use your brain....it'll tell you to press f10 and to click t"statistics" and then click "average pilots in space in the last 30 minutes".
Rain King
Playing Alone Sucks
#146 - 2012-07-16 19:51:36 UTC
Nirnias Stirrum wrote:
Heres an idea... Get in a ship and kill the people gate camping?

HUUURRRRRDUUURRRRRRWHOWUDATHOUGHTDURRRRRR

I sense hostile feelings in your words... Shocked
Larg Kellein
Bacon Appreciation Society
#147 - 2012-07-16 19:51:47 UTC
Getting more people out of highsec is a good goal, but I don't think sneaking more security into lowsec is the answer. If you're going to make anything of yourself in more dangerous space, you should be prepared to have a plan. How to get there should probably be pretty high on the checklist for said plan.
Viktor Fyretracker
Emminent Terraforming
#148 - 2012-07-16 20:13:35 UTC
Larg Kellein wrote:
Getting more people out of highsec is a good goal, but I don't think sneaking more security into lowsec is the answer. If you're going to make anything of yourself in more dangerous space, you should be prepared to have a plan. How to get there should probably be pretty high on the checklist for said plan.

They should sneak in more security in the form of things that make the security up to the players. I am thinking of the often suggested Pirate Hunting License. if one has high enough sec status they can get said license from CONCORD and attack people below a certain rating with no loss to their own. Something like this just might bring more people to lowsec and more to lowsec even if they are PVPers means more things for everybody to shoot at.

EVE is like swimming on a beach in shark infested waters,  There is however a catch...  The EVE Beach you also have to wonder which fellow swimmer will try and eat you before the sharks.

Garreth Vlox
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#149 - 2012-07-16 20:15:01 UTC
Lord Drex wrote:
Gatecamping is heavily in favor of those that live in the lower sec areas. Choke points kill high sec ppl adventuring into low/ null.
Everyone looses except the laziest players that sit and watch all day.

CCP wants to mix it up, get carebears into low and null.. It's just good for the eve game overall. Yeah yeah I know oldies are hard to change. The iron age was great for me too. Cool

Do you want new blood in the game?
Fix it and low/null will be busy!

Many ideas
- damage dampening effect around sec changing gates?
- dampening lock time effect?
- alternate pay gates?
- npc jump services?
- jump into gate at > 100km?

OR

Gate alerts, fair warning on how many ships are on the other side Twisted

Pvp is a skill that we learn to be good at and should be proud of our kills!
Gate campers are just gang gankers, sadly no skills required.

CCP, Give us easier options to mix it up!!!

STALE Oldies need not reply. What?

Sounds like someone got ganked 5 or 6 times in one day on the same gate and then came to the forums to cry about it. Here's a though find another ******* way to get there and stop asking CCP to make it so easy to play the game that there is no point. If you want a cute fluffy game go play hello kitty online.

The LULZ Boat.

Zhade Lezte
#150 - 2012-07-16 20:18:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Zhade Lezte
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

What happened to Goon posts?
The last few days you guys keep pointing out how you cherish newbies, how you dislike renter alliances that treat their renters like cattle, make constructive suggestions and are generally helpful..
Where is the usual condescending "Y'all worthless pubbies"- rant?
Is this a new PR policy or have I just become so blunted over the time that I cannot find your posts offensive anymore?

~cultural victory~

Nah, that stuff about newbies and how terrible renter alliances are doesn't come up that much these days, with bleating hisec carebears trying to portray us as sociopaths or whatnot. We are all these things and incredibly rude to a lot of people. PS you forgot that we're blobbers and not nearly as good at this game as the ~elite pvp~ slumlords who treat their renter alliances like trash.

Alternatively the tighter CCP moderation have improved general discussion's tone, resulting in apparently nicer goons (*gasp*) from our own rude posts being removed along with a lot of the drivel that sparks our condescending attitude.

To address the topic, nah. 0.0 is supposed to be unforgiving, it's part of the game. The NPE could be improved to point newbies in the right direction (learning how to scout gates, encouraging players to only fly what they can afford to lose, joining a corporation, how to use map statistics, the basics on tackle and evading tackle), and CCP may be doing that right now, I haven't checked out the changes on sisi. Gates are one of those things give you that "run into a stranger" effect that Eve could easily lose with how huge solar systems are. On an anecdotal note, before I was even in goonswarm I was stocking the market in syndicate with a newbie frigate scout and a MWD + cloak exequror of all things (too new to use a blockade runner). It's risky, but doable once you understand the game mechanics.
Danks
Fat Angry Toe Tappin Inbreds
#151 - 2012-07-16 20:23:21 UTC
My favorite part was when the OP said he needed X amount of SP to jump into low-sec Lol
Mag's
Azn Empire
#152 - 2012-07-16 20:47:11 UTC
Lord Drex wrote:
Life in eve...
Industrialists, explorers, traders, pve'rs VS the rebels.. Pvp'rs

Just be happy CCP loves the goons accounts and CCP loves isks sinks
You do realise that almost every aspect of Eve, is PvP.

Player verses player. Or to put it another way Eve, Everyone verses everyone.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Sugar Kyle
Middle Ground
#153 - 2012-07-16 21:27:47 UTC
I moved to low sec at six weeks in with just over a million skillpoints.

Make friends. Mamy of those bitter vets love to teach. They just want people who will shut up and listen.

Member of CSM9 and CSM10.

Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#154 - 2012-07-16 21:59:41 UTC
Zhade Lezte wrote:
To address the topic, nah. 0.0 is supposed to be unforgiving, it's part of the game. The NPE could be improved to point newbies in the right direction (learning how to scout gates, encouraging players to only fly what they can afford to lose, joining a corporation, how to use map statistics, the basics on tackle and evading tackle)

Yup, same as what I said 12 pages ago. There is absolutely nothing wrong with gatecamps. Take away gates as a point of contact, and you'll have an even harder time finding fights and generating content. However, the fact that this sad tale of the lone newb's first experience beyond hisec is so common is an issue that needs to be addressed by CCP in their game design, specifically their transition process for new players.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#155 - 2012-07-16 22:03:04 UTC
Heinrich Rotwang wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Not at the expense of the spirt of the game. EVE IS HARSH, if we wanted easy we'd play a themepark game.

Life is only black and white. Shades of gray cause me headaches and progress is always bad, because it means change *shudder*. Please get me back to the retirement home now. I'm scared by the youngsters over there.

It must be logical fallacy day.

Just because I think one set of ideas is stupid and against the declared harsh, cold nature of EVE doesn't make me anti-Change. I'm all for GOOD , reasonable, responsible necassary change. I'm against change for change's sake, or poor thought out change that makes thing worse. Progress must always be cautios lest it lead to disaster.

I'm not that old in the game, but I paid my dues and stuck around, the new players can too, or they can shove off.
Frothgar
Take The Bait.
Pandemic Horde
#156 - 2012-07-16 22:21:56 UTC
Join a W-space corp thats active and effectively never get camped in anywhere ever again.

Most people have no idea how mobile w-space residents can be ^_^
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#157 - 2012-07-16 23:09:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Antisocial Malkavian
Nirnias Stirrum wrote:
Heres an idea... Get in a ship and kill the people gate camping?

HUUURRRRRDUUURRRRRRWHOWUDATHOUGHTDURRRRRR

Heres a great idea, YOU try that out, tell us how it goes.

0/10 faill ass troll

and wtf is the argument here? If you go somewhere that every time you try to go there you get killed before you load on the grid; guess wherethefuck you AINT goin again???

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#158 - 2012-07-16 23:10:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarsus Zateki
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

The last few days you guys keep pointing out how you cherish newbies, how you dislike renter alliances that treat their renters like cattle, make constructive suggestions and are generally helpful..
Is this a new PR policy or have I just become so blunted over the time that I cannot find your posts offensive anymore?

Nothing has changed. A part of Goonswarm's culture is to cherish our newbies and has been since the day Remedial founded Goonfleet. All those pilots steam rolling the Soco with Tengu fleets and Super Caps, started the game by being handed a stack of skill books and rifters and being paired up with a mentor.

Same with the renter part. Rather than rent space we create strong alliances with other player organizations base on mutual respect and self-interest. Diplomacy is something we take very seriously at an alliance level. Turns out when you don't treat your friends and neighbors like dirt they'll be there for you when you need them. This is a concept that is so foreign to so many folks playing Eve-Online that they continue to call our allies pets.

Those of you who aren't blue or have spat on our olive branch? You can all go die in your own filth.

Edit: And not offering constructive suggestions when you have a decent answer is just petty.

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#159 - 2012-07-16 23:14:22 UTC
Tarsus Zateki wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

Nothing has changed. A part of Goonswarm's culture is to cherish our newbies and has been since the day Remedial founded Goonfleet. All those pilots steam rolling the Soco with Tengu fleets and Super Caps, started the game by being handed a stack of skill books and rifters and being paired up with a mentor.

Same with the renter part. Rather than rent space we create strong alliances with other player organizations base on mutual respect and self-interest. Diplomacy is something we take very seriously at an alliance level. Turns out when you don't treat your friends and neighbors like dirt they'll be there for you when you need them. This is a concept that is so foreign to so many folks playing Eve-Online that they continue to call our allies pets.

Those of you who aren't blue or have spat on our olive branch? You can all go die in your own filth.

Edit: And not offering constructive suggestions when you have a decent answer is just petty.

Yeah the funny thing is the reason Goons arent falling apart is by all reports they DONT treat their renters like **** LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

funnily enough the Goons are the good guys in this case

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#160 - 2012-07-16 23:20:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarsus Zateki
Antisocial Malkavian wrote:

Yeah the funny thing is the reason Goons arent falling apart is by all reports they DONT treat their renters like **** LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

funnily enough the Goons are the good guys in this case

We don't actually have renters. None of our allies pay us a cent to own the space they have, that space belongs to them; they fought for it alongside us, its theirs. Corporations that are a part of the Goonswarm Federation pay a small per-capita tax every month to cover their share of the alliance bill. Individual members do not pay anything to be a part of the swarm.

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.