These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Gate Camping (Choke Entry Points) Discourages entering LoSec/Null

Author
Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-07-16 14:08:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Aruken Marr
Danny Diamonds wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:
I think these old geezers are more against allowing everyone and his dog to roam around the space they work to protect/control. If you want to explore the game the focus should be to make friends and work as a team to do that. Isn't that what the campers have done to get to that position in the first place?

Are you saying it is too much work to actually have to hunt down infiltrators and fight them in a fair fight?

No. I'm saying every Tom, **** and Harry shouldn't be able to move in and out of losec/nullsec with impunity when people are working as a team to prevent that. Both sides should always have to work to obtain the upper hand. What you talk about gives the upper hand to the gate crasher, especially the gate crasher who already knows what he's doing. Tipping the scales in the way you suggest ignores the fact that there are already people who know how to avoid/break/destroy said camps.

Also why does it have to fair?

edit- bolded the important part.
Danny Diamonds
Fabricated Reality
#42 - 2012-07-16 14:10:50 UTC
Thor Kerrigan wrote:
Viktor Fyretracker wrote:
lowsec gate camping is on par with spawn camping in an FPS....

However EVE provides tools to avoid these camps, first and foremost is the F10 and going to the starmap and finding the system in question and checking ships destroyed and pod kills in the last hour. if its really active you know you should avoid it like Detroit.

Spawn camping in FPS is the equivalent of baiting new players in starter systems (freshly spawned/unprepared). Gate camping is the equivalent of simply camping (natural chokepoints). I just think this is a bit more accurate.

In a typical FPS there is equal ground on paper. The original analogy posted by Viktor is far more appropriate. In an FPS everyone dies, and thus everyone respawns. Spawn camping gives those who are on the defending side little chance of recovery. It is an unfair fight because mechanics are tilted in the favor of the camper. Much like Hi-Low transitions, but worse due to paper skill differences.
Danny Diamonds
Fabricated Reality
#43 - 2012-07-16 14:13:23 UTC
Aruken Marr wrote:
Danny Diamonds wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:
I think these old geezers are more against allowing everyone and his dog to roam around the space they work to protect/control. If you want to explore the game the focus should be to make friends and work as a team to do that. Isn't that what the campers have done to get to that position in the first place?

Are you saying it is too much work to actually have to hunt down infiltrators and fight them in a fair fight?

No. I'm saying every Tom, **** and Harry shouldn't be able to move in and out of losec/nullsec with impunity when people are working as a team to prevent that. Both sides should always have to work to obtain the upper hand. What you talk about gives the upper hand to the gate crasher, especially the gate crasher who already knows what he's doing. Tipping the scales in the way you suggest ignores the fact that there are already people who know how to avoid/break/destroy said camps.

I only meant "fair" in terms of not taking advantage of someone passing a transition and waiting for a screen load. Hunt them down in a 20-man fleet or hotdrop a few carriers on their BS. That is all good.

Note, AGAIN-- I have said like 5 times now my stance is in regards to HI-LOW transitions, NOT NULL. They are not the same. You do know the difference right?
Lord Drex
Nada Logi
#44 - 2012-07-16 14:14:06 UTC
Johan Civire wrote:
Lord Drex wrote:
Johan Civire wrote:
Why do people always QQ about gate camp? you have a f10 option you can use or a jump clone or you can make a sec char without skills and go trou that gate and see if there is a camp lol. There are so many options that will help you even i remeber correct there are some warning chats also. Use your brain people. Gate camp is the less problem in zero sec the scary shoot everything people thats the problems in low sec.

Spoken by an old character that missed the point. This is about getting interaction. As usual the oldies can't think of change.

Change, evolve, make eve better for new players to pvp

nah i dont miss the point you got ownd perhaps by gatecampers. The gate camps fits easy for noobs. people that are fresh in the game the getting a shower that eve is dangers and you need to be aware of this. Gate campers is like a wake up call. Dont change what is not broken.

Oh it's easy to get through a gate camp if you only want to play the frigate or covertops game. Don't we want better ships coming through except by mistake?

Open borders, choke points anyways.

And can't ppl defend their null except through camping. Then do it.
Lord Drex
Nada Logi
#45 - 2012-07-16 14:17:18 UTC
Danny Diamonds wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:
Danny Diamonds wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:

I only meant "fair" in terms of not taking advantage of someone passing a transition and waiting for a screen load. Hunt them down in a 20-man fleet or hotdrop a few carriers on their BS. That is all good.

Note, AGAIN-- I have said like 5 times now my stance is in regards to HI-LOW transitions, NOT NULL. They are not the same. You do know the difference right?

Your right re lo null. I generalized the 2 since for CBs it the same basic issue.

As for lag, that's hard for ccp to resolve if the end user has a slownpc or connection.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#46 - 2012-07-16 14:18:28 UTC
Danny Diamonds wrote:

Exploring the game should be rewarded, yes. Risk should also be there, but it should be gradual from High-Low-Null instead of death on transition.

I disagree, there is no such thing as gradual risk in EVE. You don't lose "part" of your ship, it's all or nothing. There are bright lines seperating high sec from unprotected space, either one must stay in protect space OR make the modifications/adaptations needed to venture somewhere else. Some how making some "gradual risk" mechanic is in fact dumbing down the game.

The game is open to exploration for anyone willing to make friends or learn how to fly.

Quote:

I have been on both sides of gate camps and it requires no skill. NONE.

I hate that whole "skill" fallacy. Very little in eve require "skill", lots of things require intelligence, patience and the ability to make friends.

I fail to see how making the game easier on noobs somehow increases "skill". If you want to increase noob skill, make them solve a math problem before being allowed to jump into low sec lol.

Quote:

I can't believe people are defending gate camping in LOW. I understand NULL, but LOW? No wonder why new people have a hard time getting into this game. It's like a bunch of spoiled old geezers that don't want anyone else to enjoy the game.

Hundreds of thousands of actual human beings have learned how to live, survive and thrive in EVE online, once again, if a person can't figure out some very simple things about the EVe life (and Gate Camps are part of that life), they should be playing something more forgiving, like Star Trek Online.

It's not that "old players" don't want anyone else to play the game, it's that veteran players have paid their dues to gain the rewards that come with old age (lol, my oldest eve Char is 5 year old).

If I can learn the game, they can too. Stop asking CCP to make things easier.
Lord Drex
Nada Logi
#47 - 2012-07-16 14:22:01 UTC
Aruken Marr wrote:
Danny Diamonds wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:

edit- bolded the important part.

1st did the name **** really get edited out. Wow haha

It's not about balance. Eve is not about being fair.. It's real..

It's about getting more people to come into low and null. Improving the fun and more action in roams.

Ease the barriers to low or rather null, and those highseccers will come down. We all wi !
Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-07-16 14:23:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Aruken Marr
Danny Diamonds wrote:

You do realise the player in transition is cloaked. Giving him ample to time to load and assess the situation on the other side, right? Now I'm not entirely sure where you point on fairness really stands. If the players not equiped to handle a camp why is he jumping into losec unscouted and unprepared?

Players are using teamwork to camp a gate. Why should players be excused from requiring teamwork to break said camp?

Danny Diamonds wrote:

I read and understood that clearly. It just so happens that my stance doesn't differentiate between the two.

Lord Drex wrote:
It's about getting more people to come into low and null. Improving the fun and more action in roams.

Ease the barriers to low or rather null, and those highseccers will come down. We all wi !

The barriers really aren't that hard. You just need to acquire friends to bring along.

edit- I don't mean to sound harsh. But the real issue here is teamwork. Improving player interaction in lowsec/nullsec shouldnt come at the expense of easing solo play. This is an MMO, these things require teamwork.
Thor Kerrigan
Guardians of Asceticism
#49 - 2012-07-16 14:23:51 UTC
Danny Diamonds wrote:
Thor Kerrigan wrote:
Viktor Fyretracker wrote:
lowsec gate camping is on par with spawn camping in an FPS....

However EVE provides tools to avoid these camps, first and foremost is the F10 and going to the starmap and finding the system in question and checking ships destroyed and pod kills in the last hour. if its really active you know you should avoid it like Detroit.

Spawn camping in FPS is the equivalent of baiting new players in starter systems (freshly spawned/unprepared). Gate camping is the equivalent of simply camping (natural chokepoints). I just think this is a bit more accurate.

In a typical FPS there is equal ground on paper. The original analogy posted by Viktor is far more appropriate. In an FPS everyone dies, and thus everyone respawns. Spawn camping gives those who are on the defending side little chance of recovery. It is an unfair fight because mechanics are tilted in the favor of the camper. Much like Hi-Low transitions, but worse due to paper skill differences.

But you forget that in FPS's you do not spawn invisible for 30 seconds with the possibility of fitting of a covert cloak and/or tank+MWD (run back to gate scenario). Given such options, people could spawn camp me all day and fail every single time.

If I can dodge 10, 20 or even 30-man gate camps, how is that "unfair"? I basically have a system that allows me to survive gatecamps 100% of the time. Also, every sub-cap can do the cloak + MWD pulse trick. If anything, gate-campers are the ones at a disadvantage.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#50 - 2012-07-16 14:24:10 UTC
Lord Drex wrote:

Oh it's easy to get through a gate camp if you only want to play the frigate or covertops game. Don't we want better ships coming through except by mistake?

Not at the expense of the spirt of the game. EVE IS HARSH, if we wanted easy we'd play a themepark game.

This is one of the things that makes EVE not for everyone. It isn't just a game about mindless fun, it's a game where the fun comes from confronting and defeating severe adversity (mainly in the form of other players who would like nothing better than to feed on your tears). Mindlessly jumping into lowsec and getting killed is such adversity.

Is it really that hard to make 1 friend or make an alt account with 1 char that can fly a noob ship to scout?
Meytal
Doomheim
#51 - 2012-07-16 14:25:04 UTC
Come to w-space. We have no gates, therefore we have no gate-campers. W-space is also 0.0 security, though I almost never see anyone in Local.

Some of the best PvE is to be found in W-space: Sleeper loot sells for a fortune and Gas harvesting is easily twice the ISK/hour earning compared to mining even the best ores (which we also have, though not in the quantities found in Nullsec).

Danny Diamonds
Fabricated Reality
#52 - 2012-07-16 14:27:44 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Danny Diamonds wrote:

Exploring the game should be rewarded, yes. Risk should also be there, but it should be gradual from High-Low-Null instead of death on transition.

I disagree, there is no such thing as gradual risk in EVE. You don't lose "part" of your ship, it's all or nothing. There are bright lines seperating high sec from unprotected space, either one must stay in protect space OR make the modifications/adaptations needed to venture somewhere else. Some how making some "gradual risk" mechanic is in fact dumbing down the game.

The game is open to exploration for anyone willing to make friends or learn how to fly.

Quote:

I hate that whole "skill" fallacy. Very little in eve require "skill", lots of things require intelligence, patience and the ability to make friends.

I fail to see how making the game easier on noobs somehow increases "skill". If you want to increase noob skill, make them solve a math problem before being allowed to jump into low sec lol.

Quote:

I can't believe people are defending gate camping in LOW. I understand NULL, but LOW? No wonder why new people have a hard time getting into this game. It's like a bunch of spoiled old geezers that don't want anyone else to enjoy the game.

Hundreds of thousands of actual human beings have learned how to live, survive and thrive in EVE online, once again, if a person can't figure out some very simple things about the EVe life (and Gate Camps are part of that life), they should be playing something more forgiving, like Star Trek Online.

It's not that "old players" don't want anyone else to play the game, it's that veteran players have paid their dues to gain the rewards that come with old age (lol, my oldest eve Char is 5 year old).

Not asking CCP to make things easier. I am asking them to put RISK on the side of the gate campers. Instead of camping a gate and mindlessly playing whack-a-mole, let them scan down their prey. Make them get off their security blanket of abusing the gate jump mechanics and actually engage someone who is ready for a fight. Whats the problem, you don't want to be shot back while camping? Stop trying to twist this into some kind of "I am awesomer conversation, get skills".

It is pathetic how gate campers want to sit in a low risk area and shoot fish in a barrel that cant shoot back as easily. Hiding behind the "dont make it easier" is laughable. I want it to be HARDER on the gate camper because they have little risk.

HARDER, not easier.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#53 - 2012-07-16 14:28:16 UTC
Lord Drex wrote:

1st did the name **** really get edited out. Wow haha

It's not about balance. Eve is not about being fair.. It's real..

You may want easy kills. I do not. If they aren't smart enough to learn and play the game as is, they aren't worthy pvp opponents.

There are IMO enough people in null and low, I get some kind of pvp action everyday, and if i didn't I'd just do faction warfare or something (it's where I started my pvp "career").

A bunch of entitled low quality scrub targets isn't what i want out of less safe space. Let them stay in high sec, let low and null be fore people who WANT to pvp.
Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2012-07-16 14:33:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Aruken Marr
Danny Diamonds wrote:

Not asking CCP to make things easier. I am asking them to put RISK on the side of the gate campers. Instead of camping a gate and mindlessly playing whack-a-mole, let them scan down their prey. Make them get off their security blanket of abusing the gate jump mechanics and actually engage someone who is ready for a fight. Whats the problem, you don't want to be shot back while camping? Stop trying to twist this into some kind of "I am awesomer conversation, get skills".

It is pathetic how gate campers want to sit in a low risk area and shoot fish in a barrel that cant shoot back as easily. Hiding behind the "dont make it easier" is laughable. I want it to be HARDER on the gate camper because they have little risk.

HARDER, not easier.

The risk on both sides is equal. The campers risk a prepared gang jumping in and taking them out just the same as the jumper risks jumping into a prepared camp.

The sheer amount of idiots playing peekaboo into dangerous systems is irrelevant to the difficulty of camping a gate. I agree it's not hard to camp a gate. But neither is it hard to break a camp.

edit- bolded important bit.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#55 - 2012-07-16 14:35:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Danny Diamonds wrote:

HARDER, not easier.

If you make it "harder" for "campers" you make it easier for people to jump blindling into less safe space, thus making the overall game easier. That is non-sense and against the nature of the game. I make it harder for campers BY KILLING THEM.

I don't gate camp much (I have when my corpmates have a few times, fell asleep on gate and died lol), I find it boring, much like suicide ganking.

In fact I prefer to hotdrop gate campers and just last week finished training an alt to fly a Panther with a Covert portal (my main flys a Redeemer for such drops, the covert portal is so we can bring along bombers and recons too). Hell, I've been Titan Bridged onto Gate camps more times than I've actually gate camped lol.

So no, you can't pin that "I'm just defending my gate camping play style" on me. What I am defending is the Spirit of EVE. Gate camps are a (crappy) part of life, you either learn to deal with it or you stay in high sec (and complain on the forums).

I don't get mad at people doing things I don't like, I get even, come back with friends and bust that camp. Asking for the GAME to change rather than adapting to the game itself is an example of the whiney entitlement carebearism I crusade against.

Gate Camping might be silly, complaining about it is worse lol.
Maledictum Aideron
In Praise of Bacchus
#56 - 2012-07-16 14:40:21 UTC
There are usually safer routes, less travelled if you bother to check. You might have to go the long way around though. *gasp*
Thor Kerrigan
Guardians of Asceticism
#57 - 2012-07-16 14:40:28 UTC
Danny Diamonds wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Danny Diamonds wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

HARDER, not easier.

This guy wants tanking in the form of "no guns, no tank, no cloak, no speed". It already exists: it's called not jumping unprepared. A properly prepared freighter will have an easier time jumping through lowsec than an unprepared drake. You can't deny that.
Bootleg Jack
ACME Mineral and Gas
#58 - 2012-07-16 14:44:06 UTC
Lord Drex wrote:
Gatecamping is heavily in favor of those that live in the lower sec areas. Choke points kill high sec ppl adventuring into low/ null.
Everyone looses except the laziest players that sit and watch all day.

CCP wants to mix it up, get carebears into low and null.. It's just good for the eve game overall. Yeah yeah I know oldies are hard to change. The iron age was great for me too. Cool

Do you want new blood in the game?
Fix it and low/null will be busy!

Many ideas
- damage dampening effect around sec changing gates?
- dampening lock time effect?
- alternate pay gates?
- npc jump services?
- jump into gate at > 100km?

Pvp is a skill that we learn to be good at and should be proud of our kills!
Gate campers are just gang gankers, sadly no skills required.

CCP, Give us easier options to mix it up!!!

STALE Oldies need not reply. What?

By now you have found all the pixel macho assholes Roll

And yes, everyone understands that gate camping hurts PvP more than it provides PvP.

The problem is how do you defend a system you want to control if everyone can get past the gate?

It is an enigma.

I'm an American, English is my second language...

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#59 - 2012-07-16 14:49:09 UTC
Bootleg Jack wrote:

And yes, everyone understands that gate camping hurts PvP more than it provides PvP.

'
Not for me it doesn't. Gate camps are cool because you can send in a bait ship (tanked transports are win) with a cyno and catch some good kills. Hell i once found a wormhole to low from my null sec ratting system to RANCER lol, you better believe we used to to "WormDrop" so pirates.

Just because some people are unimaginative doesn't mean we all are.
highonpop
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#60 - 2012-07-16 14:49:44 UTC
Lowsec gate camps are often kitchen sink fleets that are loosely put together and have little leadership. A decently organized fleet can break them up.

A nullsec gate camp in somone's sov however is a bit harder to break up.

I however agree with OP that CCP should take action and dumb down eve even further.

What?

FC, what do?