These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Musings from Amarr

Author
Nuran Mukadder
Chor Aurea
#41 - 2012-07-09 17:27:17 UTC
Amaki Mai wrote:

May that day come soon, for the sake of all of us.

Life is a cyclical experience, and we should expect dusk to come. Some will fall and embrace the night, while the faithful will fight through and see the new glorious dawn.

This is one of the many ways God test our hearts; don't lament it. Rather, rejoice the chance, and renew your faith.
Tamiroth
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#42 - 2012-07-09 19:15:14 UTC
Lyn Farel wrote:

Vain flame burns fast
and its lick is light
Modest flame lasts long
and burns to the bone.

Ironic that a quote from Midular fits to the comparison so well.
Indeed. I'd say that it also fits us, the greater Amarr civilization that includes both Ammatar and Khanid, as a whole. Time is on our side.

Karin Midular, though an enemy, was a wise woman who desired a better future for her kin. The horrible end of her career only outlines the depths of the Matari barbarism.

Amaki Mai wrote:
May that day come soon, for the sake of all of us.
As if the Elder Invasion was not enough. Inexplicably, this again brings us to the question: can one condemn own soul to save something much, much greater?.. Will he or she be forgiven... or, eventually, punished by God, and punished with severity proportional to the sinner's status among the mortals?

But, as lord Shutaq already said above, these questions are better left out of this forum.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#43 - 2012-07-09 19:36:16 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:
Nico, I am going to guess she is, and offer that, who cares what it was originally. It is what it is now that matters; a symbol of Minmatar independence to some, a symbol of power to others, a symbol of faith for still others. It has become a very, very "Minmatar" item.

You are awarre, Nicoletta, that your starship was once a rock, floating in space?

I'm quite certain that Cpt. Tamiroth is aware. That's why I was addressing your compatriot, Cpt. Thagriin. I think in the given context it does very well matter where it stems from. It does for Amarrian culture in general. That you seem to want so quickly forget about it's roots is a bit weird to me.

Are you ashamed about the history behind this symbol, that's so important for your people? It might be very, very Minmatar to you. To me it's still very, very Amarrian. One doesn't preclude the other though, from my point of view.

And yes, I am aware that my starship 'was once a rock, floating in space', in a certain sense. It's quite another sense than that which applies to the Khumaak and it's Amarrian origins.
Tamiroth
Khimi Harar
#44 - 2012-07-10 02:25:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Tamiroth
10:VII:CXIV A.Y.

Fallen Cities

Mezigh. Lajanoo. Gesht. Kibureh.

These and others once were names of power. Their blood was the gold flowing through the Inner Sea. Their rulers, vain and corrupt, bathed in pleasures; their plebs, cruel and fickle, never lacked bread and games. They thought of themselves as the only civilized people, their way of life the universal one, their way of governing all the mighty city-states and small kingdoms the most progressive - even if there was no single way, and what was the norm in one place often was seen as tyranny in others.

Their wine was the best wine. Their women were the best women. Their art of appreciating art was a way of life in itself, something that an unwashed steppe nomad or a scroll-thumping cultist from the islands would never even come close to understanding. Their court etiquette was refined with centuries.

Mezigh. Lajanoo. Gesht. Kibureh.

These names and others now are nothing, signs on broken tablets, weathered with time. The cities are long gone, their once proud towers turned to dust, great palaces crumbled, buried under the grassy hills looking at the vast sea beyond. Their culture and tongue is forgotten, names of the ancient pagan gods wiped from destroyed temples.

Everything that once thrived here died forever. Noone but the few savants remember them.

But the people who had seen the light lived on. And the Amarr who now were their lords gave the skies to them, just as God gave every star in the heavens to his chosen; and soon there was no difference between them, but the vague memories of the past.

You might have the best wine and the most beautiful women. Your way of governance might be the best from your point of view, and your bustling economy might promise a string of golden centuries to come.

But every star in the heavens still belongs to the faithful, and we met the likes of you before; and the time, the fate - the will of God - is always on our side.

And it is an enemy you can't fight off with a X-Holoreel.
Amaki Mai
Doomheim
#45 - 2012-07-10 22:20:57 UTC
Can we deal with the wars we currently have going before we start threatening everyone else in the galaxy?
Tamiroth
Khimi Harar
#46 - 2012-07-10 22:47:27 UTC
Amaki Mai wrote:
Can we deal with the wars we currently have going before we start threatening everyone else in the galaxy?
Technically, we are already hostile to the Federation; their militia pilots are valid targets, and the Federal Navy shoots our combatants in Gallente highsec. Sure, the bureaucracy of the Crusade does not reward (yet) direct action against the Federal assets, as those are considered the domain of our Caldari allies, but the war is already going on.

Also, thank Lord, the Gallente aren't "everyone else in the galaxy", and i hope that the State ensures that they will never be.

The passage above was written to illustrate the similarities between the Gallente and the ancient Udorians. The Empire met such pompous decadents before and turned them to dust. It will outlive the Federation as well, and our way of life will prevail, not theirs. That's all.

Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#47 - 2012-07-10 23:49:42 UTC
Young Tamiroth; we shall watch your career with great interest.

Sabik now, Sabik forever

William Nimitz
Doomheim
#48 - 2012-07-12 20:16:15 UTC
Tamiroth wrote:
Also, thank Lord, the Gallente aren't "everyone else in the galaxy", and i hope that the State ensures that they will never be.
By the spirit of Admiral Tovil-Toba may the hypocrisy that is the Gallente Federation forever be checked at every turn.

Never forget...

It is a symptom of madness that thoughts become uncontrollably disjointed. This can be encouraged.

Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#49 - 2012-07-12 20:42:34 UTC
Tamiroth wrote:

We're working on it, I assure you.

~Malcolm Khross

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#50 - 2012-07-12 21:29:32 UTC
Tamiroth wrote:
Ava Starfire wrote:
Thank you.
You are welcome, though my message was not directed to your kind. I merely wrote that if we have too many people like the late chamberlain Karsoth in charge and too many Revan Neferis-like "unbound demigods" roaming around, God may suddenly hit us in the head with a random object to instill some sense, as it happened before.

Oh, I was quite sure it was not directed at my "kind".

That dosent mean that it isnt true with respect to my "kind".

Amarr reached too far, and tried to steal the fruit from one too many plates. It got its hand slapped. My "kind" did the slapping.

With a Khu'maak.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Tamiroth
Khimi Harar
#51 - 2012-07-12 22:29:46 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:
Amarr reached too far, and tried to steal the fruit from one too many plates. It got its hand slapped. My "kind" did the slapping.

With a Khu'maak.
...and with a little help from the Jovians at Vak'Atioth.
William Nimitz
Doomheim
#52 - 2012-07-12 22:40:54 UTC
Tamiroth wrote:
Ava Starfire wrote:

With a Khu'maak.
...and with a little help from the Jovians at Vak'Atioth.
Don't forget the weaponry smuggled in by the Federation and subsequent combat training. Come to think of it, what part of the Minmatar Rebellion was actually carried out solely by the Minmatar? Or the founding of the Minmatar Republic for that matter. Straight

It is a symptom of madness that thoughts become uncontrollably disjointed. This can be encouraged.

Aldrith Shutaq
Atash e Sarum Vanguard
#53 - 2012-07-12 22:50:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Aldrith Shutaq
The more important thing to pay attention to is that the entire inspiration for the revolt came from the death of a Holder.

The first Wildfire Scepters were made by Arzad Hamri, who was well on the way to making the Starkmanir into faithful members of the Empire. The Theology Council's fears are what caused the revolt, and not anything else. Now they hide their dire mistake by denying he ever existed.

We could have recovered from Vak'Atioth. We could not recover from the power-hunger that crushed the good that existed within our own civilization.

Aldrith Ter'neth Shutaq Newelle

Fleet Captain of the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Divine Commodore of the 24th Imperial Crusade

Lord Consort of Lady Mitara Newelle, Champion of House Sarum and Holder of Damnidios Para'nashu

Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#54 - 2012-07-13 02:00:24 UTC
William Nimitz wrote:
Don't forget the weaponry smuggled in by the Federation and subsequent combat training. Come to think of it, what part of the Minmatar Rebellion was actually carried out solely by the Minmatar? Or the founding of the Minmatar Republic for that matter. Straight

The part where the Minmatar did the fighting and the dying.

Do not be so quick to judge and behave in arrogance, the State's economy was infused with a stimulus by the Kingdom when it otherwise would have likely collapsed. The star gates used during the original blockades when the Caldari ceded from the Federation were built in part by the Gallente, the first Caldari corporation was modeled after the Gallente structure. We have all been assisted by others at some point in our history.

~Malcolm Khross

Tamiroth
Khimi Harar
#55 - 2012-07-13 03:24:45 UTC
Aldrith Shutaq wrote:
We could have recovered from Vak'Atioth. We could not recover from the power-hunger that crushed the good that existed within our own civilization.
You read my thoughts, lord Shutaq. The Empire cannot be defeated by the outside forces; it can only defeat itself. By losing the good that exists within, by losing the true path, by succumbing to the petty sins that gnaw at the souls of the weak.

Only when those in power get too corrupt, God allows things like Vak'Atioth to happen. The Minmatar may brag about their glorious rebellion as much as they want to, like a child watching how the so-much-hated school burns. I understand them. If I were a unmanageable slave that freed itself, i'd probably brag too.

But we always must fight on. To keep everything - or, at least, something - that is good in our world from being extinguished by the corrupt and power-hungry. To protect our civilization, because it's our civilization and there is no other.
Tamiroth
Khimi Harar
#56 - 2012-07-16 04:43:47 UTC
16:VII:CXIV A.Y.

What's in a Name

It's rather funny to be named after a planet, even if it's only a second name.

When I was a child, I thought that somewhere, in the heart of the galaxy, not far from the throne of the God-Emperor, is my planet. A world that i have magic connection to, a place where every wish comes true. A place where the broken toys and dead furriers go - surely, God can't let a drone or a furrier to his Heaven (Heaven is only for good people), but my magic planet is not heaven - it's just my secret magic planet. When the God-Emperor Heideran (i imagined him as a kind great-grandfather) lays to sleep, my planet shines through the windows of his palace, and there is peace and harmony in the universe.

When the days of home education started and the aged Ni-Kunni retainer taught me about the layout of the Throne Worlds, I discovered that my secret planet actually was a small oceanic world, very warm, with a low-ish gravity - less than half standard. I rejoiced: sea always fascinated me, and my secret planet was one big ball of warm water! Of course, there should be mysterious small islands (to house the toys, the furriers and the pirates), rainbows, mermaids, Jovian treasure buried on the sea floor, sunken Takmahl cities... I spent days drawing detailed maps of my world. After those were ready, I announced to the family that when i grow up, i'll not be a spaceship captain like Daddy. I'll be just a ship captain on my planet. Therefore, i need to learn how to: a) swim, b) surf, c) fence, d) set sail, e) climb ropes! The appropriate instructors must be hired as soon as possible! Also, my planet has low gravity, so my ship will have wings and will sometimes fly! The parents laughed, but I was allowed to go swimming three times a week.

Then came the school. The girls were teasing me mercilessly; "Tammy's fat like a planet", "Look, what's on Tammy's face? A nova? No, it's the evening star!", "Sailor Tamiroth reporting in for great justice" and other pearls like these followed me through the first years. The references to that stupid Gallentean holoreel series where each girl in the crew is named after a planet were especially annoying. But when the school hours ended, i had an entire imaginary world to return to.

During the later years I asked the group supervisor to register me by my other name only, so I was simply Alet Azaph. Old maps with mermaids and rainbows quietly gathered dust somewhere in the storage room. But our land bordered the great lake Nasamih, and I did learn to swim, surf, fence, set sail, climb ropes and many other things. Skydiving over the lake was awesome. One day, I told to myself, I'll fly through the skies of my planet and set sail in the endless ocean of my dreams, with the golden star of Amarr Prime above.

Not long before I left for the Empire to study, a boy, son of a neighbour's retainer, fell in love with me. He even hacked into the school's database to know more about me. Of course, father would kill me if I allowed anything to happen, so I didn't, and we spent our time together as friends, though we both knew everything without saying a word to each other.

Once, we sat on a hill overlooking the lake. Danera sunk below the horizon, and thousands of stars filled the sky. Here, far away from the lights of the estate, even the Vapor Sea was visible, a pale glittering cloud of smoke upon the barely discernible band of the galaxy itself. It was nothing comparable to the false-color imagery the pod interface feeds me now, but then, on the hills over Nasamih, it seemed to be one of the things you remember for the rest of your life.

"You never told me about your second name." - said the boy.

"You never asked."

"It is the most awesome name in universe. It is beautiful. Like a star. Like you."

I smiled in the dark and gave him a hand, and we watched the sky together.

This was the last day I saw him, and the day was after that was the last day I saw my father as he was leaving for the naval base.

Soon, I left too, to see the heart of the cluster and my secret world and to be changed forever.
But I'll write about it later.
Nuran Mukadder
Chor Aurea
#57 - 2012-07-16 05:07:53 UTC
Tamiroth wrote:
Soon, I left too, to see the heart of the cluster and my secret world and to be changed forever.
But I'll write about it later.

We develop into cynical creatures that scoff at a child's innocence, as if it was something detrimental. Somehow our worldview adapts in this way, i believe, to compensate for the lack of meaning.

You describe a meaningful childhood; keep it close to your heart. And thank you for sharing your memories, Tamiroth, please keep them flowing.

I follow as a loyal reader of your Musings.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#58 - 2012-07-16 10:24:35 UTC
If there's a lack of meaning in ones life, then it's because one failed to provide the proper amount of room for God within it, Cpt. Mukadder.
Lyn Farel
Khimi Harar
#59 - 2012-07-16 12:25:34 UTC
It reminded me of my own childhood, and the dreams that accompanied it along the way. Juvenile delusions wrapped in idealized truths that constitute our little children worlds, almost like a shell to deny the upcoming cold existence of the void that lies outside, the voices of our parents' ruthless universe.

And when the time of delusions come, the mistake lies in believing that what we now take for granted as the truth, is the Truth. And knowing that the real Truth awaits for us is the path to revive the dreams that shaped our children worlds to a new degree of curiosity and a desire to know more.
Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#60 - 2012-07-16 16:16:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Anabella Rella
Hey youngling how about you quit sermonizing in the IGS and get your ass out there and fight in the Bleaks? Your righteous brethren are down to controlling just 3-4 systems now. I flew through the heart of Amarrian high sec the other day and yelled in local "Death to slavery!" passing through Kor Azor Prime and Amarr Prime while surrounded by 24 IC "warriors" yet, none would engage me. Perhaps they were too busy praying or something... Roll

To put it more colloquially; less QQ and more pew, pew.

Show me the power of your god like you tried showing the Jove. Heh.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.