These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Hulkagedon?

Author
Sarcasim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-07-13 12:30:32 UTC
First would like to state I don’t have the ability to mine yet so these are not care bear tears, but just an attempt to understand the game.

If what little I do know is correct then the low sec people place bounties on miners so that people can go kill hi- sec miners and that pays for their ship that gets destroyed by hi-sec police.

What are they really trying to accomplish by this? I saw in a previous post where someone suggested miners ban together and not sell to null-sec etc. Wouldn’t this accomplish what the null-sec people want?

Is it a simple way to grief? or is it more complex and someone or a group of people trying to accomplish something?
Boxless
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-07-13 12:37:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Boxless
A Handful of nullsec alliances control a bottle-neck resource needed to make hulks and other tech 2 items. They achieved this resource through military strength and no-one is really in a position to take it from them.

This makes them absurdly rich.

Hulks Exploding makes them more money.

Thus they place a 10mil bounty on every Hulk killed(In increments of 10).

FREE Iamien !!!!!

Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-07-13 12:37:48 UTC
Basically it's a mass market manipulation thing. Organisers buy out masses of minerals. They fund players to kill miners thus driving up mineral prices and the organisers unload their stock making a profit.

This would usually only ever last a month. Goonswarm have decided to fund an infinite hulkageddon to punish the mindset of afk miners who don't really play the game. Also Hulks require moon minerals to produce so this is also part of GSF and OTECs cartel on technetium prices.
Andoria Thara
Fallen Avatars
#4 - 2012-07-13 12:38:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Andoria Thara
Sarcasim wrote:
Is it a simple way to grief? or is it more complex and someone or a group of people trying to accomplish something?

Highsec minerals prices have been skyrocketing lately. Less highsec miners, less highsec minerals being dumped in to the market, more demand for highsec minerals, making all T1 ships more expensive to build and more expensive to buy.
D3F4ULT
#5 - 2012-07-13 12:48:24 UTC
Some of the high sec ore has pushed its way through past the null sec ore in prices. Reason for this is a combined affect from Hulkageddon, Massive Bot bans, and drone poop nerf. At first it wasnt that big of a deal, but now mercoxit and arkanor are just mildly more profitable than scordite and other high sec ore.

The overall purpose is for market manipulation, not done by the hand of goonswarm, but by players that figure out they can make a profit by ganking miners in highsec. Goonswarm just pays people to make it happen, yeah maybe some GSF actively gank too.

"Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve"

Arkon Olacar
black.listed
Pandemic Legion
#6 - 2012-07-13 13:01:29 UTC
Andoria Thara wrote:
Sarcasim wrote:

Highsec minerals prices have been skyrocketing lately. Less highsec miners, less highsec minerals being dumped in to the market, more demand for highsec minerals, making all T1 ships more expensive to build and more expensive to buy.

Yes, because removing drone poo (genuinely reasonable estimates put this at 30% of the total mineral supply) overnight had nothing to do with the rising prices of minerals.
Andoria Thara
Fallen Avatars
#7 - 2012-07-13 13:14:24 UTC
Arkon Olacar wrote:
Yes, because removing drone poo (genuinely reasonable estimates put this at 30% of the total mineral supply) overnight had nothing to do with the rising prices of minerals.

Of course it did, did I say anywhere that hulkageddon was they "ONLY" reason for the price increase? There are multiple factors, and Permageddon is one of them.
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-07-13 13:20:17 UTC
Because it's funny.
Dave stark
#9 - 2012-07-13 13:27:29 UTC
of course it's market manipulation, high sec miners are the major suppliers of low end minerals. the rest will be from mission runners reprocessing loot. i don't know any one in low/null that would mine low end minerals for sale on the market. they mine high ends for sale and low ends for personal use.

added to that, goons have already confirmed it's being done for market manipulation.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#10 - 2012-07-13 13:48:06 UTC
Sarcasim wrote:
First would like to state I don’t have the ability to mine yet ...

What?

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Sarcasim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-07-13 14:46:48 UTC
MadMuppet wrote:
Sarcasim wrote:

What?

Well mine with a big ship. I mine with a cruiser.
Sarcasim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-07-13 14:51:04 UTC
Also what would prevent me from making a basic hulk, not putting anything on it and use a second account to blow it up for profit?
Grumpymunky
Monkey Steals The Peach
#13 - 2012-07-13 14:53:43 UTC
MadMuppet wrote:
Sarcasim wrote:

What?
He hasn't found a pickaxe yet.

Post with your monkey.

Thread locked due to lack of pants.

Obmud
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2012-07-13 14:55:07 UTC
Sarcasim wrote:
Also what would prevent me from making a basic hulk, not putting anything on it and use a second account to blow it up for profit?

You mean training an alt up that can fly a hulk, buy it for 300mill ISK and get a pooper bounty for it ? Absolutely nothing.

Obmud wrote: I just thrive on forum drama. - by Riot Girl - at 2013.11.28 04:46:00

You should sig that, it will look good on you.

Cameron Cahill
Bad Vibe
Triumvirate.
#15 - 2012-07-13 14:58:55 UTC
Sarcasim wrote:

Hulk costs ~300 mil
Bounty per hulk is 10 mil
Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#16 - 2012-07-13 15:05:30 UTC
It's an elaborate facade to justify some griefing.
Charles Baker
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-07-13 16:53:58 UTC
Cameron Cahill wrote:
Sarcasim wrote:

Hulk costs ~300 mil
Bounty per hulk is 10 mil

If you pay more than 270 for a hulk your a muppet.
Barbara Nichole
Cryogenic Consultancy
#18 - 2012-07-13 17:47:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbara Nichole
Andoria Thara wrote:
Sarcasim wrote:

This is false. The "skyrocket" took place after the gutting of drone dropped alloy which was 40% of the mineral market - this happened well before this years hulkageddon.. since that time the mineral market for high sec has moved a largely unspactacular half a point in either direction.

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Andoria Thara
Fallen Avatars
#19 - 2012-07-13 18:56:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Andoria Thara
Barbara Nichole wrote:
This is false. The "skyrocket" took place after the gutting of drone dropped alloy which was 40% of the mineral market - this happened well before this years hulkageddon.. since that time the mineral market for high sec has moved a largely unspactacular half a point in either direction.

Only a point?

That % of minerals from the drone regions keeps getting bigger each time I see it referenced.

Also, from a reply just a few posts above yours:
Andoria Thara wrote:
Of course it did, did I say anywhere that hulkageddon was they "ONLY" reason for the price increase? There are multiple factors, and Permageddon is one of them.
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#20 - 2012-07-13 19:53:53 UTC
Ana Vyr wrote:
It's an elaborate facade to justify some griefing.

Legitimate, dev-okay'ed game-play within legal, available-to-all mechanics =/= griefing.

Kindly keep your other-MMO-informed preconceptions over what constitutes "proper" game-play out of this one, thank you!

(And that's coming from an exploration-bear, just so we're clear.)

Oh, as well: Player-ships urp-splode more prettily than NPC-ships.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.