These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Flight Time vs. Vertical Launch

Author
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-07-12 20:08:40 UTC
Anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that Flight Time is actually used up when the missles exit the ship in a vertical fashion before flying towards the enemy?

I'm supposed to have roughly 16km range on my Torpedoes (8.40*1920=16128) but in actuality I get nothing close to it. So it sorta feels that I lose roughly one second of Flight Time due to this vertical launch. That would put me at roughly 14km range (7.40*1920=14208) which feels much closer to the actual range I do get out of them.

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#2 - 2012-07-12 20:11:36 UTC
Tor Gungnir wrote:
Anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that Flight Time is actually used up when the missles exit the ship in a vertical fashion before flying towards the enemy?

I'm supposed to have roughly 16km range on my Torpedoes (8.40*1920=16128) but in actuality I get nothing close to it. So it sorta feels that I lose roughly one second of Flight Time due to this vertical launch. That would put me at roughly 14km range (7.40*1920=14208) which feels much closer to the actual range I do get out of them.

Missiles typically lose 5-10% range to acceleration, always have. Whether you're visualizing that acceleration as a change in direction or as a linear "getting up to speed" the end effect is the same, the actual numbers haven't changed with the new animations.
Dietz0r Saraki
Perkone
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-07-12 20:12:47 UTC
I've noticed something like that too.

When i'm out in my SNI and hurling Cruises on things more than 30km away, the server calculates damage almost 2 seconds before the missles acutally hit.

I guess there's a sync problem of graphics and engine.
Mia Restolo
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-07-12 21:00:51 UTC
CCP stated that the new graphics are independent of the actual flight time mechanics, so essentially other than looking different their range and whatnot are exactly the same as before. I don't believe the object you see on screen has ever been connected to applied damage or flight time.

The last second or two of flight most missiles seem to accelerate exponentially and swerve violently to produce an impact... I have always assumed this was the graphics engine playing catch up with the damage and flight calculations.

I've always notice the damage numbers showing up before the graphical missile impact, usually 1-2 seconds.
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#5 - 2012-07-13 03:14:31 UTC
Mia Restolo wrote:
CCP stated that the new graphics are independent of the actual flight time mechanics, so essentially other than looking different their range and whatnot are exactly the same as before. I don't believe the object you see on screen has ever been connected to applied damage or flight time.

The last second or two of flight most missiles seem to accelerate exponentially and swerve violently to produce an impact... I have always assumed this was the graphics engine playing catch up with the damage and flight calculations.

I've always notice the damage numbers showing up before the graphical missile impact, usually 1-2 seconds.

I noticed the acceleration too, but in some camera angles and distances from the missiles, not every time.

Bob Artis, you will be missed.

O7

Zaraz Zaraz
Zontik Paraphernalia Inc
#6 - 2012-07-13 05:09:57 UTC
Lost Greybeard wrote:
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Missiles typically lose 5-10% range to acceleration, always have. Whether you're visualizing that acceleration as a change in direction or as a linear "getting up to speed" the end effect is the same, the actual numbers haven't changed with the new animations.

Change in direction is acceleration.
Cambarus
The Baros Syndicate
#7 - 2012-07-13 10:50:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Cambarus
Tor is your phoon the first ship you've fit with missiles or something? This has been pretty common knowledge for at least 6+ years now.

EDIT: And I would like to point out that this is now 2 threads you've effectively made to whine about the same ship, good job.
Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-07-13 13:27:02 UTC
Once I was in one of my Thrashers, and was running sites while on standby. It was funny how I would click to shoot the frigs and they would explode, but my guns would shoot 2 seconds later.

Temporal Autocannons?

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik