These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

All in one source material for EVE?

Author
Iscin
Mazikeen Institute
#1 - 2012-07-11 15:59:49 UTC
Hey everybody! - Dr Nick

So I've gotten back into EVE after a break of two years and loving it. I also happen to be a spec fic writer, and though I do not normally do fanfiction I am tempted to start something set in EVE as a fan piece. Right now I'm thinking maybe a short story about a capsuleers slow descent into their dehumanising new existence.

Anyway, I am looking for a great all-in-one source for everything pertinent about EVE's universe. From ancient races to Joves through to contemporary interstellar politics. I have been browsing and already know a few things, but not nearly enough yet. I also hear mention of three EVE novels which help explain what a capsuleers life is like etc.

And so, what is the best (though I don't expect 100% complete) resource for pretty much everything EVE lore related?
Tavin Aikisen
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#2 - 2012-07-11 17:02:06 UTC
http://community.eveonline.com/background/ and the official EVE Wiki are great sections to start with.

"Remember this. Trust your eyes, you will kill each other. Trust your veins, you can all go home."

-Cold Wind

Iscin
Mazikeen Institute
#3 - 2012-07-11 17:38:53 UTC
Tavin Aikisen wrote:
http://community.eveonline.com/background/ and the official EVE Wiki are great sections to start with.

Mmm, yeah I already started with that. I'd rather not rely on a wiki for this though, I mean it's great to look up specific things but not to try and get a complete feel; unless you can recommend a specific article? Anything else?
Tavin Aikisen
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#4 - 2012-07-12 11:26:13 UTC
Iscin wrote:
Tavin Aikisen wrote:

Mmm, yeah I already started with that. I'd rather not rely on a wiki for this though, I mean it's great to look up specific things but not to try and get a complete feel; unless you can recommend a specific article? Anything else?

As far as consolidated material goes, the only documents I've ever seen are just compilations of all those stories in one file. But other than those two sites, I don't really know of much else.

"Remember this. Trust your eyes, you will kill each other. Trust your veins, you can all go home."

-Cold Wind

Horatius Caul
Kitzless
#5 - 2012-07-12 12:07:46 UTC
Iscin wrote:
Tavin Aikisen wrote:

The Evelopedia's lore section is the single biggest and most comprehensive resource for the EVE background. It's the only thing I can think of that matches what you're looking for, but hey, if you want to reject it out of principle that's fine too.
Iscin
Mazikeen Institute
#6 - 2012-07-14 01:05:17 UTC
Horatius Caul wrote:
Iscin wrote:
Tavin Aikisen wrote:

The Evelopedia's lore section is the single biggest and most comprehensive resource for the EVE background. It's the only thing I can think of that matches what you're looking for, but hey, if you want to reject it out of principle that's fine too.

It isn't about the principle as much as the fact that it is sorely lacking. Take for example this "article": http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Fractal_acceleration_shell_capacitors

This is the closest thing I've found which talks about the sublight engines of EVE ships, and it says nothing in a single sentence. Much of what is in this wiki also seems to just be compiling single sentences and paragraphs out of the good but short background blurbs.

I have already begun work on this short story now, I guess there is just no good source for more in-depth lore.
Evet Morrel
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-07-14 09:32:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Evet Morrel
I think this may be because sci-fi, at the other end of this spectrum, extrapolates the fictional potential of emerging scientific discovery.

I remember the first time I read engines of creation back in the early nineties (my copy was then stolen by a flat mate who I haven't seen since). I remember it hiting me like reading Chaos by James Gleick, well perhaps not quite as profoundly as that but close. I even went out and bought his impossible doctoral thesis Nanosystems: Molecular Machinery, Manufacturing,and Computation - and would lovingly pore through it (or paw might be apposite, seeing as I didn't understand a word of it Roll ),

Anyway the more up to the minute the technology you're speculating about the more immediately it's of the past. Think, for example, how much more elegant quantum entanglement/teleportation would have been as a clone mechanic, had it come along in time. I guess it often pays to keep it vague or incomprehensible or suffer redactional fatigue.

.... again, anyway look forward to your stuff :)
Iscin
Mazikeen Institute
#8 - 2012-07-14 19:25:34 UTC
Evet Morrel wrote:
I think this may be because sci-fi, at the other end of this spectrum, extrapolates the fictional potential of emerging scientific discovery.

I remember the first time I read engines of creation back in the early nineties (my copy was then stolen by a flat mate who I haven't seen since). I remember it hiting me like reading Chaos by James Gleick, well perhaps not quite as profoundly as that but close. I even went out and bought his impossible doctoral thesis Nanosystems: Molecular Machinery, Manufacturing,and Computation - and would lovingly pore through it (or paw might be apposite, seeing as I didn't understand a word of it Roll ),

Anyway the more up to the minute the technology you're speculating about the more immediately it's of the past. Think, for example, how much more elegant quantum entanglement/transportation would have been as a clone mechanic, had it come along in time. I guess it often pays to keep it vague or incomprehensible or suffer redactional fatigue.

.... again, anyway look forward to your stuff :)

I think that the creators of EVE could at least tell us what kind of bloody sublight engines are used: Fusion torches, electro-plasma rockets, something else? The fact that they spend a whole article describing the "quantum vacuum" of warp drive makes it quite clear they are not beyond this level of techno babble.
Seriphyn Inhonores
Elusenian Cooperative
#9 - 2012-07-14 20:36:47 UTC
Iscin wrote:
This is the closest thing I've found which talks about the sublight engines of EVE ships, and it says nothing in a single sentence. Much of what is in this wiki also seems to just be compiling single sentences and paragraphs out of the good but short background blurbs.

I dunno. The slavery article is pretty freakin' huge.
Evet Morrel
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-07-14 23:47:20 UTC
Iscin wrote:
I think that the creators of EVE could at least tell us what kind of bloody sublight engines are used: Fusion torches, electro-plasma rockets, something else? The fact that they spend a whole article describing the "quantum vacuum" of warp drive makes it quite clear they are not beyond this level of techno babble.
lol quite Smile
Iscin
Mazikeen Institute
#11 - 2012-07-23 10:46:57 UTC
Well anyway, a big thanks for those who tried to help. I'm making do the best I can and hopefully I can get my hands on these fabled novels and see how much help they are.

For now, here is a preview of the story I've started to write set in EVE.

They were the brave ones, the loyal ones and the forcibly loyal all in one neat ISK making package. The crew of the Thorax-class cruiser Ectopic shuffle aboard the ship and begin prepping its systems one after another. From out of one of the shadowed walls of the massive station’s dock the crew’s owner emerges. And she is their owner, for the capsuleers are not merely captains of vessels, but masters of everything in their possession. The esoteric and alien looking pod is coughed up by the station and the special miniature bay in the great spacecraft’s superstructure opens up for it. Inside the pod, the crew’s immortal owner has begun the process of integrating the pod’s systems with the Ectopic.

Along with the crew of the ship, cadre of Templars, immortal soldiers, was coming along for the journey. However their purpose here was a mystery to the crew, nothing is shared for every secret is an ISK-laden nugget waiting to be plucked. But as disparate members of the hundred strong shipmates saw the soldiers marched through the ship to their pre-assigned quarters, some of them became distracted from the myriad of preparations.

“Where do you think we’re going this time?” asked a man somewhere in his forties, although his hair having already begun streaking into grey tones from stress and a lack of care. The cheap synthetic fabric which constitutes his clothing possess a badge patch indicating his role as an engine technician.

The woman he had asked stood next to him, barely in her thirties with cropped raven black hair, turned to look at him and then back at the Templars.

“We’ll just have to wait and find out. Although... has Hector told you yet?”

“Told me what?” The man’s voice became raised at this. Hector being one of the station’s more important staff was in charge of cargo shipping operations. That made him a very interesting source of gossip regarding capsuleer activity. But no doubt people like him are constantly monitored by their employers.

“Something big is coming aboard today. I’d bet you good money the soldiers are here about that.” She grinned conspiratorially at him.

“Guards then. But, why would they need Templars?”

“Exactly.”

Horatius Caul
Kitzless
#12 - 2012-07-23 15:29:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Horatius Caul
Iscin wrote:

I absolutely agree, but you have to keep in mind that EVE is a small game with a small fanbase created by a company which has decided that focusing on making the game good is more valuable than expanding the minutiae of the background. I don't necessarily agree with them, but it leaves us with a setting that isn't and will probably never be fully explained.

Other science fiction universes like, say Firefly, have maybe a hundred times as many hardcore fans as EVE does, and still doesn't have fundamental parts of their settings fleshed out.

Most of the old scientific articles were written before the game launched as a way to just lay the barest of bases of lore for the game mechanics to stand on, and it's not surprising that we haven't seen many more of them.

However, in an attempt to answer your questions, we can actually look at in-game assets to hunt for clues.

This page lists the special components necessary for building Tech2 ships. Yes, it's weird that they're not required for T1 production, but that's game mechanics for you.

Anyway, from this we can tell that the races favour different types of technology from one another in pretty much all fields of application. The distribution is as follows:

Amarr

• Power: Antimatter Reactors and Tesseract Capacitors
  • Thrusters: Fusion Thrusters
  • Shields: Linear Emitters
  • Sensors: Radar
  • Armor: Tungsten Carbide Plates
  • Warheads: EMP Pulse
  • Guns: Laser Focusing Crystals (For Lasers)
  • Computers: Nanoelectrical Microprocessors

Caldari

• Power: Graviton Reactors and Scalar Capacitors
  • Thrusters: Magpulse Thrusters
  • Shields: Sustained Emitters
  • Sensors: Gravimetrics
  • Armor: Titanium Diborite Plaets
  • Warheads: Graviton Pulse
  • Guns: Superconductor Rails (For Railguns)
  • Computers: Quantum Microprocessors

Gallente

• Power: Fusion Reactors and Oscillator Capacitors
  • Thrusters: Ion Thrusters
  • Shields: Pulse Emitters
  • Sensors: Magnetometrics
  • Armor: Crystalline Carbonide Plates
  • Warheads: Plasma Pulse
  • Guns: Particle Accelerator Units (for Blasters)
  • Computers: Photon Microprocessors

Minmatar

• Power: Nuclear Reactors and Electrolytic Capacitors
  • Thrusters: Plasma Thrusters
  • Shields: Deflection Emitters
  • Sensors: Ladar
  • Armor: Fernite Carbide Composite Plates
  • Warheads: Nuclear Pulse
  • Guns: Thermonuclear Triggers! (Yes, all projectile shots are mini-nukes!)
  • Computers: Nanomechanical Microprocessors

Oh, and if you had opened with that question, I could have helped you way back when you first started this thread.
Iscin
Mazikeen Institute
#13 - 2012-07-24 00:25:55 UTC
Horatius Caul wrote:
Iscin wrote:

I absolutely agree, but you have to keep in mind that EVE is a small game with a small fanbase created by a company which has decided that focusing on making the game good is more valuable than expanding the minutiae of the background. I don't necessarily agree with them, but it leaves us with a setting that isn't and will probably never be fully explained.

Other science fiction universes like, say Firefly, have maybe a hundred times as many hardcore fans as EVE does, and still doesn't have fundamental parts of their settings fleshed out.

Most of the old scientific articles were written before the game launched as a way to just lay the barest of bases of lore for the game mechanics to stand on, and it's not surprising that we haven't seen many more of them.

However, in an attempt to answer your questions, we can actually look at in-game assets to hunt for clues.

This page lists the special components necessary for building Tech2 ships. Yes, it's weird that they're not required for T1 production, but that's game mechanics for you.

Anyway, from this we can tell that the races favour different types of technology from one another in pretty much all fields of application. The distribution is as follows:

Amarr

• Power: Antimatter Reactors and Tesseract Capacitors
  • Thrusters: Fusion Thrusters
  • Shields: Linear Emitters
  • Sensors: Radar
  • Armor: Tungsten Carbide Plates
  • Warheads: EMP Pulse
  • Guns: Laser Focusing Crystals (For Lasers)
  • Computers: Nanoelectrical Microprocessors

Caldari

• Power: Graviton Reactors and Scalar Capacitors
  • Thrusters: Magpulse Thrusters
  • Shields: Sustained Emitters
  • Sensors: Gravimetrics
  • Armor: Titanium Diborite Plaets
  • Warheads: Graviton Pulse
  • Guns: Superconductor Rails (For Railguns)
  • Computers: Quantum Microprocessors

Gallente

• Power: Fusion Reactors and Oscillator Capacitors
  • Thrusters: Ion Thrusters
  • Shields: Pulse Emitters
  • Sensors: Magnetometrics
  • Armor: Crystalline Carbonide Plates
  • Warheads: Plasma Pulse
  • Guns: Particle Accelerator Units (for Blasters)
  • Computers: Photon Microprocessors

Minmatar

• Power: Nuclear Reactors and Electrolytic Capacitors
  • Thrusters: Plasma Thrusters
  • Shields: Deflection Emitters
  • Sensors: Ladar
  • Armor: Fernite Carbide Composite Plates
  • Warheads: Nuclear Pulse
  • Guns: Thermonuclear Triggers! (Yes, all projectile shots are mini-nukes!)
  • Computers: Nanomechanical Microprocessors

Oh, and if you had opened with that question, I could have helped you way back when you first started this thread.

That is really quite terrific, thank you.