These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Minmatar in the Gallente Federation

Author
Salena Ashera
#1 - 2012-07-10 14:50:34 UTC
I've lived in the federation since I was about 4 or 5, it's my home. I went to school in the Federation, I met most of my friends in the Federation and I have had a stellar career in the Federal Defence Union, spending months in it as a Luminaire General. In fact the only time I left the Federation for more then a week or two was for my final year of training as a Vherokior Mystic.

I often saw other Minmatar in the Federation but it was only recently that I came upon this statistic...

Quote:
Forming a third of the Federation's total population, the Minmatar are the largest immigrant bloc in the nation, taking up a large portion of labor occupations and frontline military units.

I'd never even considered that one in three citizens of the Gallente Federation were Minmatar, this idea made my jaw drop at the realisation. The ethnic Minmatar are the largest immigrant bloc in the nation. We wield a tremendous amount of political power and yet its so infrequently considered. This leaves me with a question though, what are the percentages of the other ethnicity's in the Federation? Are the Gallente still the majority ethnic group?

Salena Ashera; Shandian Lu clan Mystic.

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#2 - 2012-07-10 14:52:21 UTC
In a few decades, it will be called the Minmatar Federation.

Katrina Oniseki

Kalaratiri
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#3 - 2012-07-10 14:56:48 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
In a few decades, it will be called the Minmatar Federation.

And together, we shall rule the universe!

In all honesty, can't see it myself. I am friends with plenty of Gallenteans, but large groups of them tend to be just a little too much for me to deal with and retain my mental health and currently low blood pressure.

She's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire.

This is possibly one of the worst threads in the history of these forums.  - CCP Falcon

I don't remember when last time you said something that wasn't either dumb or absurd. - Diana Kim

Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#4 - 2012-07-10 15:45:54 UTC
I have been informed by a certain member of a prominent Minmatar Alliance that the Minmatar living in the Federation are still considered tribal kinsmen and thus anyone at war with the Federation is also directly at war with the Minmatar people. As opposed to being indirectly at war via the alliance, it is considered a direct assault on the Minmatar.

This leads me to suspect that many Minmatar view the Federation as simply an extension of their home, not as a separate political entity and this is probably why their potential political influence is often not invoked or considered. It is my understanding that the Gallente are still the majority ethnic group, to answer your question.

~Malcolm Khross

Andreus Ixiris
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-07-10 16:08:19 UTC
Salena Ashera wrote:
I'd never even considered that one in three citizens of the Gallente Federation were Minmatar, this idea made my jaw drop at the realisation. The ethnic Minmatar are the largest immigrant bloc in the nation. We wield a tremendous amount of political power and yet its so infrequently considered. This leaves me with a question though, what are the percentages of the other ethnicity's in the Federation? Are the Gallente still the majority ethnic group?

Because the Federation is so intermingled and multicultural, determining ethnic lines can be difficult and it's often a... touchy subject with the people involved, to put it mildly. Take, for instance, three children of mixed Gallentean-Sebiestor parentage. On a given census, when asked for their ethnicity, you may get something like this:

- The first identifies strongly with his Gallentean parent and heritage, and puts down "Rouvenour Gallente", despite his Minmatar heritage. He may not reject his other heritage, but will, if asked, identify as a Gallentean and a Federal.

- The second identifies strongly with his Minmatar parent and heritage, and puts down "Sebiestor", despite his Gallentean heritage.

- The third does not identify more strongly with one parent than the other, and puts down "Mixed Race (Gallentean/Sebiestor)". He considers himself a Federal first and foremost.

While inaccurately reporting information on a Federal census is technically a misdemeanor, the Federation's immense population makes that utterly unenforceable. All three individuals are of a similar appearence and genetic makeup, and they will all identify themselves as loyal Federals, but they have totally different opinions about what their ethnic heritage is. For instance, I'm technically one-quarter Gallente (my maternal grandmother), but I always identify myself as Intaki.

The issue is further muddied by the fact that "Gallentean" means a lot of different things nowadays:

- The broadest - and least accurate - definition is "any citizen of the Federation". When outsiders say "Gallentean", this is usually what they mean unless they're intentionally being more specific. This is deeply problematic as it includes people not traditionally thought of as ethnically "Gallentean", such as Caldari, Minmatar and Amarrian, and can cause confusion.

- A narrower - and similarly inaccurate - definition is "any citizen of the Federation whose primary ethnic heritage is traditionally associated with the Federation rather than somewhere else". This includes "ethnic Gallenteans" (see below), Intaki, Mannar and Jin-Mei, and not ethnicities traditionally associated with the Minmatar, Amarr or Caldari. This is less problematic but still not particularly accurate.

- A still narrower - and significantly more accurate - definition is "any citizen of the Federation whose primary ethnic heritage can be traced to any of the historical nations of Gallente Prime". This is much less problematic, and is generally what most people within the Federation (and, to their credit, the majority of the IGS) think of when the word "Gallente" or the phrase "ethnic Gallente" is used.

- The strictest possible definition is "any citizen of the Federation whose primary ethnic heritage can be traced to the historical Garoun Empire", as this is where the term "Gallente" first originated. This definition is technically the most accurate as it excludes Federal citizens with ethnic heritage traceable to places like Morthane or Castou, but it's pretty damn archaic, and its use is considered wheedling and pedantic nowadays.

I don't have recent census figures - they're mysteriously hard to find. I'm almost certain ethnic Gallente make up a plurality, but possibly not a majority. Intaki are incredibly prevalent throughout the Federation.

Things get even more interesting when you break ethnicity down by region. If anyone's interested, I could go further into that.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Salena Ashera
#6 - 2012-07-10 16:15:41 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Things get even more interesting when you break ethnicity down by region. If anyone's interested, I could go further into that.

I'd very much like you to break it down region by region.

Halete
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-07-10 16:46:46 UTC
I will keep this thread for inspirational material when I spar later.

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin" - The Scriptures, Book of Missions 13:21

Benjamin Eastwood
#8 - 2012-07-10 16:57:53 UTC
Like nations of old, the Federation may fall to an influence they willingly allowed to propagate. If the Minmatar, some of the most impoverished in the galazy, continue to breed at the pace they are, it won't be too long before I start hailing Gallente ships on the comm as "Gallentean Republic".

"Endless ISK, the sinews of war"

Andreus Ixiris
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-07-10 17:25:53 UTC
So if you actually look at the regions, everything starts to make a lot of sense.

Sinq Laison is the largest region in Gallente space by nearly 40 systems, by far the most populous and most certainly the commercially developed. It's also a border region that links to all three of the other empires and CONCORD space - it is also the only region in the Federation with direct stargate links to Minmatar space. If a Minmatar immigrant comes into the Federation on anything other than a jump-capable ship (and likely even if he does), he at least has to pass through Sinq Laison, even if he doesn't stop there. Sinq Laison has by far the largest immigrant population and by far the largest Minmatar immigrant population in the entire Federation. Unsurprisingly, Sinq Laison's culture is incredibly cosmopolitan. Your "one in three" figure is probably correct, but I would venture a guess that pretty close to one in three citizens of the Federation also live in Sinq Laison.

Placid is the second largest region but probably the second least populous, depending on whether census data from the northern constellations is accurate. The safer southern areas of the region are heavily populated, while colonies in the turbulent northern areas are, as a general (but not unbroken) rule, much smaller. Being the homeland of the Intaki, Intaki are unsurprisingly the single largest ethnic bloc in the region. Ethnic Gallente and Caldari immigrants make up the next two largest blocs, followed by Jin-Mei, True Amarr (curiously enough, a lot of Amarr expatriates tend to get on pretty well with the deeply spiritual Intaki) and various Minmatar bloodlines. The region is very, very slim on Mannar - traditionally, they don't tend to get on all that well with the Intaki, and Placid isn't their first choice of residence if they're changing planets.

The third largest region is Essence, and it's probably the second most populous. It contains both the home of the ethnic Gallente (in Luminaire) and the seat of Federal government (in Villore). Ethnic Gallente most certainly make up a slim majority here, and depending on census data (and the various vagaries of self-identification I touched upon in my previous post) may constitute all the way up to 70% of the population. Intaki are the second largest bloc, Jin-Mei being third, Mannar being fourth and Deteis and Civire being roughly equal at fifth and sixth respectively.

Everyshore is the fourth largest region and probably the third most populous. It contains the homeworlds of both the Mannar and Jin-Mei, but neither race holds the ethnic majority or even a plurality - that honour goes to ethnic Gallente. Jin-Mei are the second largest ethnic grouping, Intaki being third and Mannar being all the way down in fourth (which causes no end of resentment from them, let me tell you).

Verge Vendor is the second smallest region in the Federation (larger than Solitude by only one system, no less!) and its fourth most populous. Its ethnic makeup is spread fairly evenly between ethnic Gallente, Intaki and immigrants, mostly of Caldari and Minmatar origin.

Solitude is the smallest region and the least populous. Its ethnic makeup is overwhelmingly ethnic Gallente, with Amarrian immigrants (all Imperial ethnicities, grouped as one bloc) being the next largest. Note, however, that while proportionally it has the largest percentage of Amarrian immigrants of any single region in the Federation, as with all immigrant ethnicities save Civire, Sinq Laison has the largest actual population of them. It is, perhaps unsurprisingly, the least cosmopilitan and the most isolationist region in the Federation. Mentas Blaque is a native of Solitude, as are 15% of the Senate, which is an overwhelmingly large amount for such a small and sparsely populated region (one should note, however, that very few of the senators in question actually represent constituencies within Solitude).

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#10 - 2012-07-10 17:37:50 UTC
Jokes aside (which my original post was), this thread is delivering some very helpful information. I mean this genuinely, as it's really helping me understand some things I am admittedly ignorant about.

I just hope it doesn't devolve into a mudslinging contest.

Katrina Oniseki

Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-07-10 17:53:18 UTC
A more intriguing line of questioning is "Why are there so many Matari in the Federation instead of the Republic?"

One would imagine the "call of the tribes" to return home to be a bit stronger?

That Matari would willingly face cultural assimilation and abandon their homes and their people speaks volumes about conditions in the Republic.

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Calliste Gessenier
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-07-10 18:03:55 UTC
That was a rather well considered and concise elaboration on the matter, M. Ixiris.

On a personal note, from a purely genetic standpoint my mother was Jin-Mei and my father was of a mixed Gallente-Sebiestor heritage but I identify first and foremost as a Federal Citizen. This speaks, I think, to the fact that in the Federation, genetics, race, ethnicity, culture, tradition, sex, creed and religion are all methods of conformity that interfere with the personal liberties of the individual and that any society that wishes to truly call itself free must seek to ensure that such associations are entered into purely on a voluntary basis without coercion.

This perhaps is what some fail to understand about Federal society - particularly those that hold nationalist politics or sentiments - nothing is held in higher regard than the talents, ability, drive, passion and ability of the individual citizen to realize their own dreams and ambitions. They may decry it, but culture and tradition are voluntary associations and genetics, race, ethnicity and gender are ancillary considerations important only to those who wish to seek to use them as grounds for discrimination.

As for the Minmatar in the Federation? I believe they are valued the same just as any other citizens of the Federation and their contributions to Federal Society are too numerous to count in whatever fields they wish to contribute their energy and talents. I believe the voice of the Minmatar citizens are heard in the Federation through their worker's unions, non-government organizations, political parties and lobbyist groups in the Senate that promote a rather generous percentage of the Federal budget to be directed towards the Republic.
Tycho Antus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-07-10 18:29:12 UTC
I am always pleased when I see Minmatar in Gallente space. I am totally agree with that they live with us. They are our strong allies and morevover, we share some ideas and aims.

The Federation is a mix of different ethnies, and this mix bring us some talents and knowledge. I come from the true Gallente bloodline, but I am open minded on the genetic mix. All together, we will be stronger than each alone !

So, welcome to all Minmatar refugees, immigrants or simple visitors !

Concerning politics, I think all people have political rights in the Federarion, ensure by our democratic system.

Tycho Antus

Former Captain in the Federation Navy

Chief Executive Officer of Reclamation Technologies

Seriphyn Inhonores
Elusenian Cooperative
#14 - 2012-07-10 19:16:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Seriphyn Inhonores
Nice contributions from everyone, especially Andreus and Calliste. Don't have anything to add, really, other than pointing out the fact that many immigrants identify as an "ethnic" Gallente. There's also the minor ethnic groups to think about, the obscure homeworlds and such.
Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#15 - 2012-07-10 21:17:45 UTC
Benjamin Eastwood wrote:
Like nations of old, the Federation may fall to an influence they willingly allowed to propagate. If the Minmatar, some of the most impoverished in the galazy, continue to breed at the pace they are, it won't be too long before I start hailing Gallente ships on the comm as "Gallentean Republic".

This is one of the most vile and overtly racist postings I've seen on the IGS in quite a while. I dare you to substantiate any of this claptrap. "Most impoverished in the galaxy"? "Breed at the pace they are...?" Prove either of these statements with hard, unbiased empirical data.

I hope that most in the State aren't as ignorant and racist as you.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Ssakaa
Animatar Foundation
#16 - 2012-07-10 21:42:30 UTC
Tycho Antus wrote:
All together, we will be stronger than each alone !

That's an uplifting sentiment, there.

Anyway, home. Some definitions of 'Home' could be:

The place in which one's domestic affections are centered.

The place or region where something is native or most common.

I love Ani, it's my home, but to take that trip through Barvigrard taking a brief detour to the historically important systems in Tiat and then doubling back to Algintal (Sinq) is a journey of real pleasure most times, rather than for mere business.

Metro and Sinq are indeed deemed two 'Regions' but I always 'visualise' them as one in that part of the 'verse, such is the freedom to come and go, to settle, to be welcomed (for the most part) and to live side by side in peace for those who have deep "Gallentean" (using Andreus' broadest definition) or Matar roots, both. One only has to visit Jolia to see this in action, for example.

So, Algintal feels almost like home; no roots to speak of, but home nonetheless.

Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Things get even more interesting when you break ethnicity down by region.

It'd be interesting to see this in reverse. What is the ethnicity of Metropolis, especially in those places where Gallente and Minmatar 'connect', regionally? It'd be interesting to find out.

"Modern Life is Rubbish"

Amaki Mai
Doomheim
#17 - 2012-07-10 22:11:07 UTC
My theory is that the Minmatar diaspora has simply been so extreme and so poorly documented that ethonographers just don't know where they are. Have you noticed that the Minmatar are habitually referred to as 'thirds'?

Apparently a third are enslaved. A third are in Gallente space. Possibly a third are with the Elders as Thukkers. A fourth third is probably in the Republic proper.

Perhaps some REAL studies should be done.
Salena Ashera
#18 - 2012-07-11 11:12:48 UTC
Silas Vitalia wrote:
A more intriguing line of questioning is "Why are there so many Matari in the Federation instead of the Republic?"

One would imagine the "call of the tribes" to return home to be a bit stronger?

That Matari would willingly face cultural assimilation and abandon their homes and their people speaks volumes about conditions in the Republic.

Actually this is fairly straight forward.

When the rebellions ended, the Gallente Federation accepted a huge percentage of the resulting of Minmatar free men. These people may have lost any memory of tribal traditions during their enslavement and chose the Federation in a desire to remain free and safe from the Amarr, or perhaps they did not wish to be a part of a fledgling and vulnerable government.

There is also the fact that the Gallente Federation is a democracy and that at least on a local level people effect their government. As opposed to the tribal system there is in the Republic. Some people will naturally prefer one or the other.

I've not addressed some things but I don't need to, any information you would need on the Republic, Minmatar and the Gallente is freely available on GalNet. Go look it up if your interested I can point you to some nice places to learn.

Amaki Mai wrote:
habitually referred to as 'thirds'? Apparently a third are enslaved. A third are in Gallente space. Possibly a third are with the Elders as Thukkers. A fourth third is probably in the Republic proper.

One third of the -total Minmatar population- are enslaved, yes. One of the reasons is because the Amarr empire relies on slavery to maintain its economic stability. I did not say a third of the -total Minmatar population- live in the Federation, I said one third of federal citizens are Minmatar, considering Minmatar are the most populous race in the cluster, with numbers in mind neither of these facts are outstanding in my opinion.

One third of the total Minmatar population, is not Thukker, Thukkers are a tribe of Minmatar a tribe with less political power then the Sebestior, Brutor or Vherokior within the republic, as those tribes are the largest Republican tribes. I would also wager that Thukkers are no where near a third of the Minmatar population, the tribe is renowned for accepting anyone so they are almost undoubtedly rather diluted at this point.

Quote:
My theory is that the Minmatar diaspora has simply been so extreme and so poorly documented that ethonographers just don't know where they are. Have you noticed that the Minmatar are habitually referred to as 'thirds'?

The Amarr empire, knows how many slaves there are, and their pedigree in the vast majority of cases. The Federations census asks for ethnicity, lying is a misdemeanour's but I'd wager there are more Minmatar who simply don't realise their heritage. There is also the total Republic population and the population of the Thukker tribe. Perhaps you could give us some real criticism?

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#19 - 2012-07-11 11:36:53 UTC
Interesting information here. Thank you to those who wrote out such detailed replies.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#20 - 2012-07-11 15:27:54 UTC
I grew up in the Federation on Luminaire, in a small suburb of Caille, raised by two fairly liberal ethnic Gallenteans. I was raised as a Gallentean and had no idea that I was adopted or, that I was Matari, until I accidentally came across some documents when I was applying for college several years ago. For their own reasons, which I won't go into here, my parents hid my background from me and so up until I left the Federation and joined the Republic Army I considered myself as an ethnic Gallentean and held ideas and values consistent with that group.

Although I've made the Republic my home for many years now, I still officially hold Federal citizenship and identify strongly with traditional Gallentean ideals of individual freedom and responsibility. In the near future I plan to formally apply for Republic citizenship though so that I can begin to repay the debt that I feel I owe our people and government.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

12Next page