These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

CCP plese dont touch Ancilary shield booster.

Author
IHaveCandyGetInTheVan69
Crouching Woman Hidden Cucumber
#21 - 2012-07-10 16:12:21 UTC
OP has to be a troll right?

Armor tanks are still good, links a video nearly as old as my abaddon.
Noisrevbus
#22 - 2012-07-10 16:13:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Noisrevbus
Taurich Vorsel wrote:
Still not quite sure how 5 ships with ASB is any more overpowered than 3 buffer ships with 2 logi's

Especially considering the ASB gang will have no tank after a few minutes, and the logi gang can maintain their tank for ever

... because a fight at that scale is usually over within a few minutes, and in the meantime the ASB gang will tank an immense amount of burst damage without much recourse?

Compared to the Logi-gang where you can just EW one and blitz the other, or just blitz through reps since both your damage output and burst tank is far superior.

The introduction of ASB make about as much sense as the Falcon changes. It will never appeal outside of it's direct target pool (solo- to small-gang PvP), while within it it's stupidly powerful. They are "balanced" by getting shot through buffer as scale rise. It's your typical lowsec solo Maelstrom's wet dream, where he can fight low skillpoint Battlecruisers up to a certain point.

Not that i care to make a stand for either side here, but let's not slip into nonsense Blink.

If certain things come pre-nerfed, ancills surely came pre-buffed to appeal to the conservative within a small clique.

It's another themepark, and i'm exploiting it full on until it's changed.
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#23 - 2012-07-10 16:20:41 UTC
Eternal Error wrote:
1.) We didn't need another thread about this.

2.) ASBs need touching and are going to be touched. Get over it.

Buaaaah! I'm not CCP favorites anymore!!!!!!!!! Buaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!, Fix it!!!!!!!!

Bob Artis, you will be missed.

O7

Rutger Centemus
Joint Empire Squad
#24 - 2012-07-10 16:26:13 UTC
Seishi Maru wrote:
Derath Ellecon wrote:
OP,

While I don't have an issue with the ASB, your premise that active armor tanking has had an advantage for years is a complete joke. With the exception of a couple of ships active armor tanking in PVP has been a joke. And buffer shield tanking is far more popular than buffer armor tanking, even for ships that are designed as armor tankers (thinks Brutix as an example).

Did you even flew when doomsdays had AOE damage? Back then or you fielded a massive Armor buffer or you didn 't flew at all!

Also in the age of RR battleships is another example of when armor tanking was supreme ( it was not feasible to do RR shield tanked battleships)

Could you tell us which century you're living in?
Derath Ellecon
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2012-07-10 16:53:06 UTC
Cloned S0ul wrote:
Derath Ellecon wrote:
OP,

While I don't have an issue with the ASB, your premise that active armor tanking has had an advantage for years is a complete joke. With the exception of a couple of ships active armor tanking in PVP has been a joke. And buffer shield tanking is far more popular than buffer armor tanking, even for ships that are designed as armor tankers (thinks Brutix as an example).

Before patch since years i never saw a raven, rookh, scorpion, shield tanked typhoon, tempest pilots who was able to tank multiple enemy for few minutes, even with normal x large shield booster while fighting in low sec vs pirates etc, while other armor ships deal with this kind of pvp without problems, because of high survavibility and decent dps + a lot (free) med slots for ew modules, now other not worth before ships are potentially in same line while using ASB , but is ok i dont force any of you to agree with my post, its only my opinion.

I see very few of those ships in SOLO PVP period (which is what you specified in your OP). And many of the above are simply poor PVP ships regardless. Much of the solo/small gang PVP has been dominated by shield BC's down for quite some time.

Again, I don't dislike the ASB. But to try and say armor has had some advantage in SOLO and small gang PVP is just flat out wrong.

Seishi Maru wrote:
Did you even flew when doomsdays had AOE damage? Back then or you fielded a massive Armor buffer or you didn 't flew at all!

I fail to see the relevance when the OP specified SOLO PVP. Unless you are soloing Titans regularily?
MisterNick
The Sagan Clan
#26 - 2012-07-10 17:34:16 UTC
Active shield tanking in pvp has become a thing again with the ASBs, previously it was pretty much Tengu only, with the odd Cyclone having himself a marvellous time.

While I agree that they're far superior to the adaptive armour hardener that came with them in Inferno, they don't need much tinkering with. All I can think of is that 400 and 800 charges both provide the same boost amount, so there's no reason to put 800s in since you can fit less.

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom."

Cpt Branko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2012-07-11 06:52:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Cpt Branko
MisterNick wrote:
Active shield tanking in pvp has become a thing again with the ASBs, previously it was pretty much Tengu only, with the odd Cyclone having himself a marvellous time.

Mainly because Drake can't fit it due to fitting issues, Hurricane can't fit it because 4 midslots (it was not, I think, designed to actively shieldtank), Maelstrom is a battleship without spare slots for heavy neuts so niche usage, and what else gets flown with any regularity (from BC-sized hulls)?

Cruiser hulls just can't fit / power it because of inferior slots and fitting, putting it on Amarr ships would be a bad joke (and can't fit, anyway), putting it on Myrmidon would be funny but can't fit with any weapons worth a damn.

So that leaves Tengu, Cyclone and Sleipnir (which is just too expensive for what it does) which can make workable active tank fits. It's a problem of not being able to fit it to ships together with damage mods, high-tier weapons, neuts, MWD and everything else you realistically expect to fit on a PVP ship but can only do so if and only if you buffer fit.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#28 - 2012-07-11 08:53:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Maeltstome
Manar Detri wrote:
brutix and myrmidon both have better tanks with ancillary shield boosters than with armor reppers. I think this pretty much sums it all up.

But while i say this, i do feel theres nothing to be nerfed with asb's, rather we need a,lot of love for armor tanking.

You are 100% right. Active armor tanking has been a joke for a long time. It shouldn't require double rep's on a battleship with no damage mods to a achieve a 600 DPS tank.

I think armore repair ammount of armor repairs needs to be scaled based on ship size better.

Frigates: need maybe 15%-20% more per cycle
Cruisers: need about 30%-40% more per cycle
Battleships: need at LEAST 50%-60% more per cycle

Also armor repairer rigs need to stop reducing speed. instead reducing shield amount or structure HP would make more sense.

Edit: ASB's are fine. Plated setups are boring and i like having an alternative to flying my cross-train race in gangs.
Cpt Branko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2012-07-11 09:31:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Cpt Branko
Maeltstome wrote:

I think armore repair ammount of armor repairs needs to be scaled based on ship size better.

Frigates: need maybe 15%-20% more per cycle
Cruisers: need about 30%-40% more per cycle
Battleships: need at LEAST 50%-60% more per cycle

You got it entirely backwards. LARs are largely fine except for huge fitting costs (you free up 3+K grid by going with two plate 5-slot tank instead of active 5-slot tank though), the 650-800 DPS tank of a 5 lowslot slot dual-LAR tank is both sufficient and enables you to have 2 damage mods on a 7-lowslot ship. Sad fact is that it's useless because either you will fly in gangs, where you want buffer anyway and will always want buffer (and RRs) above a certain (and not very large) size, or you can't fit largest guns rendering the BS pointless next to a plated variant.

It is how it scales to smaller ships what is actually problematic. A LAR is 100% stronger then a MAR, but a large turret is 33-34% more DPS then a medium turret. If scaling was the same as it is for turrets (which I am not saying it should), then a MAR would need to repair 67% more HP, and a SAR 133% more HP. Suggesting that BS reps should get an increase bigger then the medium or small reps because scaling is somehow wrong is silly.

Again, the real issue is fitting costs and number of slots taken. Shields don't have the slot problem so much (because of XL-SB), so they are occasionally seen, but active armour fits have no "two in one" option, and the repair rigs also reduce speed. So even ships with 6 lows and 4 mids which in theory could make armour active tanks can go only shield buffer or plate.

Out of which the shield buffer is actually more popular and better in gangs.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#30 - 2012-07-11 10:32:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Maeltstome
Are you trolling? There are 4 sizes of shield booster + shield boost amps. large armor repairers are hideously under-powered.

If you have a dual LAR setup on a megathron with all lvl5, 3x active hardeners, 1x EANM, a DC and THREE active repair rigs you can tank 900 DPS

You have 69k EHP - and no Mag Stabs, and Ion blasters.

The standard 2x 1600, 2x EANM, 2x MFS, 1x DC setup has neutrons, has 121k EHP and about 300 more DPS.

That means it takes (121-69)/.9 = 57 seconds for the dual LAR to have equal EHP to the palted setup. it also burns around (42+42)*57 = 4788 capacitor to do this. The plated megathron doesnt burn ANY do get this HP.

Now technically this comparison isnt fair, because the plated megathron is technically setup for gank, whereas the dual LAR setup is used for tank. if we take a fully EHP megathron we can get about 168k EHP (WITHOUT slaves) so we can re-do the math on this. This setup still has neutrons. So we reach this

Dual LAR = 110 seconds to reach palted mega EHP, costing 9240 Capacitor.

So please, if you think LAR's are fine, you need your head examined. None of these numbers take into account Slaves, or that active shield tanking has Crystals.

Active armor tanking, especially battleship active armor tanking, requries a huge overhaul.
Cpt Branko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2012-07-11 11:27:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Cpt Branko
Maeltstome wrote:

So please, if you think LAR's are fine, you need your head examined. None of these numbers take into account Slaves, or that active shield tanking has Crystals.

Active armor tanking, especially battleship active armor tanking, requries a huge overhaul.

Active armour tanking on BS hulls doesn't need a huge overhaul. Resolving fitting issues (bringing it, one way or another, inline with buffer tanks which can be fit sensibly), maybe some cap use... it's sub-BS active armour tanks which are worthless crap.

Since you gave some numbers, here are some for you. IF A 2-LAR MEGA COULD FIT NEUTRONS, a 5-lowslot LAR tank is superior to a 5-lowslot buffer tank while receiving less than 1150 DPS, or less than 1400 DPS with heat which lasts a long long time. This is not counting implants (where there are repping implants too), drugs (which are cheap and only active tank ones exist), etc. Now the numbers aren't stellar without adding extra stuff, but they are not that bad, either.

The math is trivial. An active armour tank outlives a buffer tank up to X=(-108337)Y / (48084-108337) where X is amount of DPS received, 48084 is armour+hull EHP of rep tank and 108337 is armour+hull EHP of buffer tank, and Y is amount tanked.

tldr version of what active armour tanking needs to be remotely viable: make a "two in one" armour rep with same cap use, same repping power as dual rep of appropriate size, same PG requirement as 80% of a current single rep, and restriction that this module cannot be used with other repairers simultaneously (to prevent overtanking crap), and slash current rep fitting in half and cap use by 70%-ish so it can be used in buffer+(single rep) fits without necessarily using a cap booster. Naturally, removing the speed reduction from rep amount and speed rigs.

Would fix active armour tanking all around.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#32 - 2012-07-11 12:17:26 UTC
the buffer tank i outline was a 5 slot buffer, and it was superior to a 7-slot dual LAR setup for the first minute. slot-4-slot buffer tanks is simply better in real PVP. Assuming you are against less DPS than your active tank is one thing, most of the time you cant active tank the DPS and die before capping out regardless.

If active tanking was so much better then people would do it more, simple fact of the matter is that it's not (for PVP anyway).

Buffer tanks provide: More margin for error, more time for remote reps to land, no cap usage, less susceptible to alpha fleets, defense against neuts, more time spent overheating etc.

Simple numbers comparisons make buffer tanking appear to be better by quite a margin. Actual fighting situations make buffer tanking crushingly better than active armor tanking.

That's why it needs an overhaul.
Ambassador Crane
Hellhound Productions
#33 - 2012-07-11 13:03:57 UTC
Cloned S0ul wrote:
Since years meny armor ships got advantage while solo pvp, examples active dominix with 2x LAR + dualcap inectors, or plated trimarked megathorn, in youtube we got few videos where solo megathorn is able to kill small battlecruisers gate camp, other examples, bufer tank Armagedon or Typhon both around 130.000 ehp and enormus dps, form lasers or torpedo.

I dont understand why people are mad because you give some love to shield ships, in my opinion finaly shield ships become similar to armor ships, no need to change this.

Sorry for my horrible English.

While I'm on the side of the ASBs being TOO overpowered and need some tweaking (not saying get rid of or even a huge nerf, just minor tweak), I have to say the OP is a bit laughable and I'm surprised honestly you haven't been trolled into oblivion by this post already. I fail to see why the BATTLESHIPS you mentioned shouldn't be able to solo kill a BATTLECRUISER.

While I've seen some decent arguments against leaving ASBs alone, this is not one of them.
Cpt Branko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2012-07-11 13:28:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Cpt Branko
Maeltstome wrote:
blah

Numbers don't lie. Active tanks outdo buffer tanks in survivability in small (very small) scale situations. If they weren't so idiotically fitting intensive (and in case of active armour rigs, nerfing speed on top) you'd see a lot more of them solo. You wouldn't see them in gangs ofc because personal tank is useless in gangs as a rule. While it wouldn't seem so for someone looking at eve online forums which is abundant with solo fits and theory crafting from everyone, 90% of people in EVE fly in gangs and have maybe solo killed ten frigates because nobody else got a lock first.

The reason why active tank is useless to the 90% of EVE community is because they fight in gangs of typically 5+ even though they say something entirely different on the forums where everyone is a soloing hero. The reason why active tank is useless to the remaining 10% (being generous here) is simply because you can't get a decent fit with it on almost any ship. I would actually fit this seemingly useless 350 DPS tank on a battlecrusier if I could do it and fit ranged guns and 2 damage mods, but it's not possible, only (weak) shortrange fits, which are worthless.

Active tanking battleships... Everyone who doesn't fly in gangs already knows that shield nano Tempest is best for general PVP, out of all the BS. Not because of how awesome it's buffer or tank is, but because when those other people bring ten ships to gank your solo BS, you actually get out with a nano Tempest. Other ships with more impressive numbers in the end wait, twiddling their thumbs while jammed by two falcons, until they get to hull so they can spam warp and save their slaveset.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#35 - 2012-07-11 13:55:19 UTC
Cpt Branko wrote:
Maeltstome wrote:
blah
Blah based on information from PVP Video's

The 'shield nano' tempest is slower than my gran, even with my snakes in. It dies to any cruiser with an MWD and even a small nos to keeps its tackle running. Huge fleets of them are just that: Huge fleets. At which point the type of ship becomes less important. May i also note these are semi-effective active tanked only because of the ASB... this has nothing to do with active tanking armor.

Brick tanked geddons and baddons are popular due to excellent range and high HP. megathron are popular cause they can tear people in half with 1k DPS while fitting an MWD, neut, full tackle and 130k EHP. Rokh's and maelstroms can do similar to this if they have tacklers. Hell, even an ASB torp raven rips battleships in 2 these days.

People look at the tempest and go 'meh, ill get a tornado instead'.

That's digressing.

Point being that in REAL situations, the only time active tanking is better is when you are nowhere near a gate/station and have to permatank a tiny amount of DPS til something dies or your friends arrive. EHP tanks just DE-aggress and jump if the DPS is that low and they can't land a kill.
Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#36 - 2012-07-11 18:21:52 UTC
Cpt Branko wrote:
Maeltstome wrote:
blah

Numbers don't lie.

You know your LAR needs to permanently run for about 40s to be equivalent to a single plate right? then it becomes more effective than a single plate but wait, you have no more cap because you were also shooting ammo reducing you cap for 50% ...

So go for a second plate, wow huge tank, indeed !!

Armor tanking is from another age, bad and a huge handicap in all terms. Yes you get larger HP to take off but what's the problem, just wait it to run out of cap booster charges...

brb

Cpt Branko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2012-07-12 07:16:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Cpt Branko
Maeltstome wrote:

The 'shield nano' tempest is slower than my gran, even with my snakes in. It dies to any cruiser with an MWD and even a small nos to keeps its tackle running.

I had no problems using it to kill anything short of other battleships (which are all probably playing EFT anyway), including hac/bc (or CS, amarr recon, whatever) duos and crap. I think my first and also current (I've never lost one in lowsec, while I lost a number of plated or such fits because of blobbing, since with all the nice numbers a HG slaved BS can have with max skills, once **** hits the fan you are either running away or dead) nanopest scored about ~150ish kills and probably around 800ish mil in loot, more then half the amount of kills your character even has, total.

But fine, Tempest is useless and I get my info watching PVP videos. Roll

It's actually the same thing with flying 720mm II solo arty Hurricane, which can hypothetically on paper die to a solo EFT frig, yet every one of them ends up making money and killing all sorts of things, BCs, HACs, etc, while the HG slaved plate fit which can in EFT kill everything dies to blob after maybe ten kills.

"But it doesn't work because what if a frigate lands on top and you are afk and he scrambles you and has nos and you die." Lol

Maeltstome wrote:

Point being that in REAL situations, the only time active tanking is better is when you are nowhere near a gate/station and have to permatank a tiny amount of DPS til something dies or your friends arrive. EHP tanks just DE-aggress and jump if the DPS is that low and they can't land a kill.

In real situations, active tanking is useless not because active tanking is useless, but because you can't fit ships properly for DPS and/or range (or tackle & utility highs if we talk about eg. Maelstrom) while fitting an active tank, rendering the ships useless as a result. If that was fixed, some of us would actually fit it on some ships, while the remaining people on forums which only solo or small gang in EFT would still whine, I guess.

Highsec station baiting is not "real" situations either.

Tanking 5-10 people in an active tanked ship is just not going to happen, ever, and if it did, it would be imbalanced to hell. However, a niche exists for active tanks if they weren't so debilitating to fit.
DeadPool MercWithAMouth
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#38 - 2012-07-12 18:32:00 UTC
Cloned S0ul wrote:
Since years meny armor ships got advantage while solo pvp, examples active dominix with 2x LAR + dualcap inectors, or plated trimarked megathorn, in youtube we got few videos where solo megathorn is able to kill small battlecruisers gate camp, other examples, bufer tank Armagedon or Typhon both around 130.000 ehp and enormus dps, form lasers or torpedo.

I dont understand why people are mad because you give some love to shield ships, in my opinion finaly shield ships become similar to armor ships, no need to change this.

Sorry for my horrible English.

For years many armor ships were the only choice for SOLO pvp. In order to kill anything solo your ship needs tackle, at the very least is a warp disruptor. Shield ships have always had more tanking ability than armor ships. Armor ships have had the ability to fit a larger buffer but not withstand greater amounts of damage. The larger the buffer, the less damage these ships will have. There is no way to get 130k hit points on a typhoon (unless slaved ) with much dps. Not to mention its a flying brick and would be easily killed with few ships smaller than a battlecrusier (if torp fitted). I would be much more concerned of a sleipnir. People do use slaves often; however, an equally fitted rokh with crystal implants has a much higher tank. 2x LAR are a joke, they stink (not stuck). You must have several low slots fitted for hardeners (min 5 ; 2xLAR an explosive + 2xEANM's), 2 x cap injectors , and rigs are a must (this is the worst), and if u get sucked by a nut your injectors wont keep up (im okay with this). This tank will get around 800-1250 on some of the best armor battle ships (not worth it on BC), its possible to get more especially on the Abaddon or Hyperion but power grid grid becomes an issue for guns or dps is low.

With the ASB, they would need to removed the necessity to have nanobot or auxiliary nano pumps for armor tanked ships (something, just throwing this out there). It would go a long way to improve armor tanking feasibility once again.
kyrv
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#39 - 2012-07-14 18:34:35 UTC
Hatsumi Kobayashi wrote:
sorry for your horrible post

And yours, unless of course your talking to yourself
Previous page12