These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Evasive Manoeuvring skill description

Author
Esaf Itog
Faulcon de Lazy
#1 - 2012-07-10 13:09:27 UTC
Ok this is the description for the Evasive Manoeuvring Skill: -

Improved skill at efficiently turning and accelerating a spaceship. 5% improved ship agility for all ships per skill level.

Anything strike you as odd? Considering that this is the only skill effecting ship agility?

Well if you are reading for the same page as I am you might consider why this skill isn't an advanced version of another ship agility skill.

This is my proposition - Make Evasive Manoeuvring an advanced navigation skill which only gives ~1% bonus per level to a ships agility and add in another nested skill called Ship Handling or Ship Manoeuvring with ~4% bonus per level.

Yes the numbers would have to be figured out properly to make the overall bonus comparable to what we have already but it would just fit together nicer I think.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#2 - 2012-07-10 13:23:44 UTC
Why? What's wrong with the current skill? Breaking it up into two skills does nothing except for make it more annoying to train.

And I think the reason it's described as "improved skill" is because you clearly have a basic understanding of how to turn your ship, since you start doing it when you log into the game for the first time.
Esaf Itog
Faulcon de Lazy
#3 - 2012-07-10 13:59:23 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Why? What's wrong with the current skill? Breaking it up into two skills does nothing except for make it more annoying to train.

And I think the reason it's described as "improved skill" is because you clearly have a basic understanding of how to turn your ship, since you start doing it when you log into the game for the first time.

Well firstly it is not about turning your ship, it is about turning your ship faster. Secondly we know how to shoot a gun from day 1 and yet there are basic gunnery skills and advanced gunnery skills, how annoying is that. So why exactly should there not be a basic and advanced agility skill other than it is annoying to train? Lets face it, all skill are annoying to train but they are a necessary evil needed before we can have fun with our shiny new toy.

To add to my OP perhaps the new skills are used as a pre-req for some items, it is already a pre-req for interceptors, keep it that way as well as having the nested skill in there. Maybe Evasive manoeuvring can have some effect on Fighters/Fighter Bombers making them harder to hit. Make the Evasive manoeuvring a pre-req for inertia stabs (I like this one actually even if the alteration I have mentioned doesn't get implemented)
Kadeyoo
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-07-11 14:31:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Kadeyoo
So you suggest changing the skills, messing with the skill requirement tree for interceptors, finding a suitable solution to reimburse people who already trained the skill without feeding them too much at the cost of others who haven't trained for it, because of the word "Improved" in the skill description?

How about we simply remove the word "Improved" from the description. Seems faster, easier, less painful - and best of all - it won't break anything or shift the balance in any accidental way, or add something we don't need. The complexity and seeming redundance comes from integration of new modules, and a fine grained control of skill requirements and which skills affect which exact modules and ships. CCP doesn't do it to make "sense", but to shape balance into the game, or because they simply integrate new modules into the game.

Also: Capital Ships and Advanced Spaceship Command also modify Agility by the way, with very specific restrictions - which is a perfect example of what I mean. CCP gives us capital ships, and gives us the option to make them more agile, while keeping agility for sub-caps the same! Do your homework next time please.
a newbie
Kenbishi Heavy Industries Inc.
#5 - 2012-07-11 14:43:12 UTC
Kadeyoo wrote:
So you suggest changing the skills, messing with the skill requirement tree for interceptors, finding a suitable solution to reimburse people who already trained the skill without feeding them too much at the cost of others who haven't trained for it, because of the word "Improved" in the skill description?

How about we simply remove the word "Improved" from the description. Seems faster, easier, less painful - and best of all - it won't break anything or shift the balance in any accidental way, or add something we don't need. The complexity and seeming redundance comes from integration of new modules, and a fine grained control of skill requirements and which skills affect which exact modules and ships. CCP doesn't do it to make "sense", but to shape balance into the game, or because they simply integrate new modules into the game.

Also: Capital Ships and Advanced Spaceship Command also modify Agility by the way, with very specific restrictions - which is a perfect example of what I mean. CCP gives us capital ships, and gives us the option to make them more agile, while keeping agility for sub-caps the same! Do your homework next time please.

Yeah, what he said.

...um.. fire?