These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The new mining barge expansion.

Author
Alara IonStorm
#61 - 2012-07-09 08:43:19 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Then you shouldn't have mentioned the third world as a problem connected to that but you did.

The two sentences are not connected, you connect them because for some reason you feel they have to be connected.

No you connected them.
Quote:
... so they can dump larger tons of useless stuff that gets totally diluted, depreciated (overproduction) and generally trashed, in the face of the third world populations dying of starvation.

Right there. You implied there was a connection between the abundance of wasted food and the third world. As if lowering how much we grow or waste would make a difference.

If you didn't want to connect them you should not have said it. Since you have you should really stop trying to find ways to say you haven't.
Dave stark
#62 - 2012-07-09 08:43:49 UTC
can any one explain what the op's point is? i read the post 4 times and couldn't find a single point, it was just incoherent babble.
Alara IonStorm
#63 - 2012-07-09 08:50:08 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
can any one explain what the op's point is? i read the post 4 times and couldn't find a single point, it was just incoherent babble.

I think he is worried about the new ORE Bay size. It can not be expanded and the Retreiver / Mackinaw which are slated to get the large bays will mine less then the Hulk which can currently expand its bay. So he is worried they will stick with an 8000m3 or less ORE Hold that can't be expanded to 17000m3.
Dave stark
#64 - 2012-07-09 08:57:33 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Dave stark wrote:

I think he is worried about the new ORE Bay size. It can not be expanded and the Retreiver / Mackinaw which are slated to get the large bays will mine less then the Hulk which can currently expand its bay. So he is worried they will stick with an 8000m3 or less ORE Hold that can't be expanded to 17000m3.

meh, it's no secret to any one with a brain that the mackinaw will be the least useful of the 3 mining barges after the winter.

the difference is though, an expanded hulk will have less ehp and ore bay even at it's max cargo capacity, to do that you're sacrificing MLU IIs, in comparison the mackinaw will have a bigger ore bay than the hulk will have in total + the cargo bay + will be able to pack MLU IIs in the lows. with the mlus and the ore bay it'll probably end up doing both things better than a hulk.
then again, what do you expect when you try and force a hulk to do some thing it isn't intended to do? the hulk isn't supposed to be a pseudo industrial ship like the mackinaw, it's meant to be a rock chewing behemoth.

in short the mackinaw will be the best at it's role, however it's unique role is that unappealing i forsee it being the most underused ship outside of any one with a brain cell.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#65 - 2012-07-09 08:58:55 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Then you shouldn't have mentioned the third world as a problem connected to that but you did.

The two sentences are not connected, you connect them because for some reason you feel they have to be connected.

No you connected them.
Quote:
... so they can dump larger tons of useless stuff that gets totally diluted, depreciated (overproduction) and generally trashed, in the face of the third world populations dying of starvation.

Right there. You implied there was a connection between the abundance of wasted food and the third world. As if lowering how much we grow or waste would make a difference.

If you didn't want to connect them you should not have said it. Since you have you should really stop trying to find ways to say you haven't.

Nope, I did not imply anything. I just stated the scandal situation about here we trash perfectly fine products while in other places they are dying because they don't have to eat.

But we (in my country) are working to make the two things connected, by trying convincing farmers to send stuff to the poorer countries, stuff we'd trash because it is just too much or has tiny defects (i.e. an orange with a too small diameter to pass some certification).
Pipa Porto
#66 - 2012-07-09 09:00:53 UTC
Dave stark wrote:

in short the mackinaw will be the best at it's role, however it's unique role is that unappealing i forsee it being the most underused ship outside of any one with a brain cell.

Given the popularity of the 2x Expanded Cargohold Hulk right now, I think the Mack's going to have a fair bit of appeal.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Dave stark
#67 - 2012-07-09 09:04:44 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:
Dave stark wrote:

Given the popularity of the 2x Expanded Cargohold Hulk right now, I think the Mack's going to have a fair bit of appeal.

given it's popularity where? on kill boards? :)
Breezly Brewin
Vril Metaphysics Society
#68 - 2012-07-09 09:09:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Breezly Brewin
i don't always mine tabbed out or afk, but but i'm glad they have finally accepted the need for s hip that suits those needs to be available. if its less yield that's understandable, but everyone has those days where they'd like to mine a little and make some isk while they read the news or whatever. i have recently started multitasking within eve and have grown fond of ice mining simply for its lack of micromanagement while i do other things on another account. ice mining is less isk than mining but far less effort. there should be a form of mining thats similar to ice mining in effort and isk. id gladly sacrifice the third turret for a ship that only needs be checked every 5-10 minutes or so.

edit: when i said there should be a form of mining similar to ice mining i envision the new larger ore bay barge or whatever to nicely fill that role Big smile
Alara IonStorm
#69 - 2012-07-09 09:14:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

Nope, I did not imply anything. I just stated the scandal situation about here we trash perfectly fine products while in other places they are dying because they don't have to eat.

And yet that problem has nothing to do with over growing. That is like saying they are all dying of Malaria look how horrible it is that we have all this health care that they don't get.

Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

But we (in my country) are working to make the two things connected, by trying convincing farmers to send stuff to the poorer countries, stuff we'd trash because it is just too much or has tiny defects (i.e. an orange with a too small diameter to pass some certification).

Roll That argument that you called irrelevant to your point makes that idea irrelevant.

Quote:
All the food in the world is never going to help those people. The problem isn't starvation, starvation is just a byproduct of the corruption, instability and lack of a basic infrastructure.

Send them all that food and it will be hoarded, taken by warlords to feed there armies and even if it didn't it won't get to the people who need it most because they don't have the trucks, roads, fuel and railways to get it to the places where people are really starving.

The people who need that aid won't get it. At most the goods will just force local farmers out of business in the area's where food is plentiful because they are giving it away just like clothing charities destroyed the African textile industry. They can grow the food yet land mismanagement and transportation is a nightmare.

People have got to stop trying to fix the 3rd world through care packages and start donating to the charities working infrastructure. It is the problem that when solved fixes everything else that is wrong, flooding them with free stuff just makes these places charity states dependent on our good will because we force out the industry that produces it.
Pipa Porto
#70 - 2012-07-09 09:20:24 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
Pipa Porto wrote:
Dave stark wrote:

How else do you propose to get a representative sampling of HS miner's fits? Pirate

It's not HAG, it's the Mining Census.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#71 - 2012-07-09 09:35:28 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
People have got to stop trying to fix the 3rd world through care packages and start donating to the charities working infrastructure. It is the problem that when solved fixes everything else that is wrong, flooding them with free stuff just makes these places charity states dependent on our good will because we force out the industry that produces it.

I admire your optimism, but after 30 years of failed attempts of stabilizing the third world countries, i have little faith it's going to happen, by aiding them with food and/or reconstruction plans. Most of the countries don't have the political stability need to complete long term reforms, and i the end most progress gets reverted by shifts in power that leads to war followed by hunger.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Dave stark
#72 - 2012-07-09 09:50:24 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:
Dave stark wrote:
Pipa Porto wrote:
Dave stark wrote:

How else do you propose to get a representative sampling of HS miner's fits? Pirate

It's not HAG, it's the Mining Census.

i won't deny that before hulkageddon, and when i didn't know better i was using a 17km3 expanded hulk to mine, then i realised i was going to make more per hour with MLU IIs in the lows, especially when i was hauling up to 5 cans at a time with an orca.
unless the lowest ehp mining barge is being buffed to the point where it'll take more than a catalyst to gank it, then you're going to be wanting a skiff. (infact, as some one with only one account i'm considering mining with a skiff in 0.0 to tank the rats because my poor ass can't afford a faction booster) if you're mining in a fleet then you want the hulk as it's going to outmine everything.

i'm not sure there's a single situation where i would rather have a big ore bay instead of amazing tank or amazing yield. even more so if all the barges/exhumers retain their current cargo bay in addition to the new ore bays.
Breezly Brewin
Vril Metaphysics Society
#73 - 2012-07-09 09:56:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Breezly Brewin
there are really 3 factors
yield max isk
tank less gank
cargo max afk

EDIT:A LOT of people afk mine or tab out mine in hisec - whether they admit it or not.ccp knows this.
Dave stark
#74 - 2012-07-09 10:08:28 UTC
Breezly Brewin wrote:
there are really 3 factors
yield max isk
tank less gank
cargo max afk

EDIT:A LOT of people afk mine or tab out mine in hisec - whether they admit it or not.ccp knows this.

but it takes 3 seconds every 6 mins to drag 2 cycles of ore to a jetcan. are you really going to sacrifice extra yield for the sake of 3 seconds whilst also pointing a gigantic "i'm afk come and gank me" bullseye on your ship?
Breezly Brewin
Vril Metaphysics Society
#75 - 2012-07-09 10:16:32 UTC
depends what im doing - always mine and ice mine covetors so gankers don't scare me- i got 15 at last count and actively take notice of dotlan. when i got all 3 accounts mining and thats all im doing i roid mine with dual MLUS/drones. when im mostly afk or multitasking/WHing my main i have two ice covetors out and only need check them every 10 mins or so and is about 20m an hour. its not much but when doing housework, schoolwork cooking, reading the news watching youtube whatever its better than nothing. and 20m/hour while doing "fun" stuff on my main is awesome
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#76 - 2012-07-09 10:17:15 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
but it takes 3 seconds every 6 mins to drag 2 cycles of ore to a jetcan. are you really going to sacrifice extra yield for the sake of 3 seconds whilst also pointing a gigantic "i'm afk come and gank me" bullseye on your ship?
Considering the popularity of fits that let you avoid doing that (or, perhaps more likely, which lets you avoid dealing with canflippers), a lot of people certainly will.

Anyway, the whole upset is due to CCP choosing not to give one ship all three characteristics, but rather try to give all six (soon to be seven) mining ships a role. The miners' wish was always just a straight-up buff to the Hulk, exactly because they didn't want to have to choose.
Dave stark
#77 - 2012-07-09 10:20:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
Tippia wrote:
Dave stark wrote:
Considering the popularity of fits that let you avoid doing that (or, perhaps more likely, which lets you avoid dealing with canflippers), a lot of people certainly will.

Anyway, the whole upset is due to CCP choosing not to give one ship all three characteristics, but rather try to give all six (soon to be seven) mining ships a role. The miners' wish was always just a straight-up buff to the Hulk, exactly because they didn't want to have to choose.

i'd rather get can flipped than ganked. a jetcan of ore is 5.5m or so at current prices, a ship is a lot more.
edit: i just don't think a big cargo bay is a strong enough "advantage" to be a unique thing to one ship. i'd rather give all[or no] ships the ore bay and give the mackinaw a real use[not that i have any suggestions for that, but still...]
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#78 - 2012-07-09 10:23:25 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
i'm not sure there's a single situation where i would rather have a big ore bay instead of amazing tank or amazing yield. even more so if all the barges/exhumers retain their current cargo bay in addition to the new ore bays.

While Procurer/Skiff is the most defensive mining barge, it also has the lowest mining output. The Retriever/Mackinaw has less ehp, but more ore hold and mining output.

I do agree that the usefulness of the Retriever/Mackinaw heavily depends on play style, weather or not you have someone to haul and how close it comes to the hulk in mining output. If the hulk is miles ahead in mining output the Retriever/Mackinaw is not very useful, unless you don't have someone to haul ore.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Breezly Brewin
Vril Metaphysics Society
#79 - 2012-07-09 10:33:54 UTC
i guess i really just am lucky about not getting ganked but i think mining a quiet system goes a long way. it is really not a concern of mine, i do minimize theoretical losses by not flying hulks, and flyiing my whopping 4k ehp covetors i still have yet to lose one. i did lose a hulk a few moths ago, but i was like 5 jumps from jita. realistically if someone actually did gank me, theyd most likely get 2-3 covs instead of 1 hulk so idk how much im really minimizing my losses haha.

idk i do wonder where all this ganking takes place, certainly not in my neck of the woods Lol
Dave stark
#80 - 2012-07-09 10:34:18 UTC
dexington wrote:
Dave stark wrote:

While Procurer/Skiff is the most defensive mining barge, it also has the lowest mining output. The Retriever/Mackinaw has less ehp, but more ore hold and mining output.

I do agree that the usefulness of the Retriever/Mackinaw heavily depends on play style, weather or not you have someone to haul and how close it comes to the hulk in mining output. If the hulk is miles ahead in mining output the Retriever/Mackinaw is not very useful, unless you don't have someone to haul ore.

the only real difference is the time it takes you to switch to an industrial ship and back, if that's taking you more than 3 mins (one cycle) then you're probably doing it wrong.

that's what, 1 cycle an hour, 1/20...5% that's the difference in yield for one ship to give more m3/hour than the other. assuming you're hauling every hour. (which is what i do or i end up with too many jetcans to keep track of)

ccp also said they want to make all the ships within an acceptable margin of the hulk. besides, with minmatar industrial 4, t1 rigs, t2 expanders, a mammoth will scoop about a whole jetcan at once without much time investment unlike an itty V. therefore the mackinaw will only really be a viable option for people who are new. then again, i'm sure you can probably train for a mammoth before you can afford a mackinaw if you're new.

i really just can't shake the feeling that the mackinaw could offer so much more than being an expensive hauler.