These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Strange attempt at margin trading scam?

Author
Private Pineapple
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-07-06 12:21:14 UTC
So I was hanging out in a major trade hub and I saw that someone linked a contract, trying to sell an officer module for 1b ISK. I quickly checked market details, 0 sell orders and 2 buy orders (1.4b and 1.5b). Both buy orders were created back to back, so I was like "lol margin trading scam" however I was still curious at the lack of sell orders. I logged into my jita alt and checked the market details. 4 sell orders for 1b each.

I'm confused. Why would you attempt to margin trade scam over an item at the actual price of the item?

Anubis Star
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-07-06 13:59:07 UTC
jita buys? history?
Private Pineapple
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-07-06 15:19:49 UTC
Currently at work, but I believe this was it: http://eve.battleclinic.com/item_database.php?id=i15236 in case you want to check.

I know it was a Brynn module and it was kinetic with that exact icon.

Redbullcity Stetille
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-07-06 18:53:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Redbullcity Stetille
Maybe because he was afraid someone would use a market database, buy from other orders and attempt to sell it to his buy order thus wasting his brokerage fee in the process.
Hungry Ghost
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-07-06 21:03:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Hungry Ghost
Because that module doesnt worth that much. Its the same as C-Type deadspace. Actual price is something like 5-10kk.
So as long as he managed to sell it for 1kkk - scam was succesful. And according to Jita price history he (or somebody) managed to get some really good sales.
Bobo Cindekela
Doomheim
#6 - 2012-07-07 07:12:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Bobo Cindekela
it is possible that he was just trying to excite a sale on a thing he isnt been able to sell for some time, if it looks good to traders then it might move via a greedy+stupid trader instead of someone looking for brynn's kinetic w/e for personal use

also, historical trades can be manipulated for the cost of taxes and fees, which can be minimized thru skills and standings, so market history should never be trusted on low volume items, but you prolly already knew this

You are about to engage in an arguement with a forum alt,  this is your final warning.

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-07-09 00:51:10 UTC
Some rarely-used officer and deadspace modules (for example, specific resistance hardeners) are being manipulated in this way. The scammer buys out the entire Jita stock (which is less than a few billion), then puts up his margin trading buys and his sell orders at several times the normal price. This makes it look to the mark as if the module is really being sold for that much.

A sure way to spot and avoid this scam is to look at the market history of the item you're trying to trade. If it has been sold for 100M for the past month, and there are suddenly sell and buy orders for 1b, something is not right.
TheSmokingHertog
Julia's Interstellar Trade Emperium
#8 - 2012-07-09 02:44:50 UTC
As said by @ Abdiel Kavash, the goons manipulated a lot of small moving implants for the Faction Warfare exploit, you just found one I assume.

"Dogma is kind of like quantum physics, observing the dogma state will change it." ~ CCP Prism X

"Schrödinger's Missile. I dig it." ~ Makari Aeron

-= "Brain in a Box on Singularity" - April 2015 =-

Skippermonkey
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-07-09 11:18:57 UTC
It definitely wasnt this guy

http://www.tk.konstipation.com/killboard/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=2427

ohwait, wrong module

COME AT ME BRO

I'LL JUST BE DOCKED IN THIS STATION

Gunsaro
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-07-10 03:03:08 UTC
I fell for this recently - I didn't even know what "margin trading" was until I was doing research figuring out how
I got scammed.

It was 3 officer mods that I'm now trying to dump dirt cheap, simply because they're pretty hard to get rid of and
I don't feel like waiting 4 weeks taking up orders for that "one person" who really wants them to come along.
TheSmokingHertog
Julia's Interstellar Trade Emperium
#11 - 2012-07-10 07:07:32 UTC
Gunsaro wrote:
I fell for this recently - I didn't even know what "margin trading" was until I was doing research figuring out how
I got scammed.

It was 3 officer mods that I'm now trying to dump dirt cheap, simply because they're pretty hard to get rid of and
I don't feel like waiting 4 weeks taking up orders for that "one person" who really wants them to come along.

Did you put them up on auction, or just for sale? Sometimes auctions get more attention.

"Dogma is kind of like quantum physics, observing the dogma state will change it." ~ CCP Prism X

"Schrödinger's Missile. I dig it." ~ Makari Aeron

-= "Brain in a Box on Singularity" - April 2015 =-