These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

So how about a round of applause for the "good" ones?

Author
Boudicca Arbosa
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-07-05 22:49:42 UTC
I've spent the past 2-3 days at work reading stories of EVE. Obviously, these stories are highly entertaining, but they're always about scamming, treachery, lying, backstabbing, double crossing and generally acting like turds. It's apart of the game. I get it. You always hear about the EVE stories and how immersive and amazing they are.

But what about the people that aren't scamming, lying, backstabbing or double crossing? There's got to be some good stories out there of some upstanding people doing some amazing things. The internet is always giving time for the foul and nefarious goings on of EVE, but never the good. It's a lot like real life media.

So, do any of you guys have some good stories of you or someone doing good?
Soundwave Plays Diablo
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-07-05 22:53:50 UTC
What the **** is porridge?
Morganta
The Greater Goon
Clockwork Pineapple
#3 - 2012-07-05 22:54:38 UTC
There once was a little miner named Chribba

he shot rocks for a living and everyone liked him

the end
Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-07-05 23:13:08 UTC
Came here expecting a race thread. Disappointed.
Price Check Aisle3
#5 - 2012-07-05 23:15:03 UTC
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:
So, do any of you guys have some good stories of you or someone doing good?

I helped gank a botting Tengu once. I think that qualifies.
  • Karl Hobb IATS
Soundwave Plays Diablo
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2012-07-05 23:18:31 UTC
Jada Maroo wrote:
Came here expecting a race thread. Disappointed.

Hahahaha, reminds me of a guy i knew helped a little old lady once. She told him, "You're one of the good ones".

Copine Callmeknau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-07-05 23:23:46 UTC
Soundwave Plays Diablo wrote:
What the **** is porridge?

Oats

@OP
"Guy helps newb, is thanked"

Doesn't make a great article

There should be a rather awesome pic here

Psychotic Monk
Wardecs Without Borders
#8 - 2012-07-05 23:52:25 UTC
Because what you're calling "the good guys" are really just people who don't bother anybody. And the way you don't bother anybody is by not really doing much of anything. And that's boring.
Nyreanya
Serenity Labs
#9 - 2012-07-06 00:02:57 UTC
In most MMOs, the hereos are celebrated. You killed that nefarious guy who hurt all those other guys. Well done.

In EVE, the villains are celebrated. You scammed those other guys who hadn't done anything to you. Well done.
This game is not for those who want to be heroes.

[/sarcasm]

SetrakDark
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-07-06 00:10:04 UTC
Being bad is being good.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-07-06 00:10:20 UTC
Yeah, there's way too much attention being given to the dark side of this game.

About 3 1/2 years ago in corp chat, a Russian player stated in broken English - help, need 100k for big deal. pay back + share profit.

Everyone started saying it was a scam or the guy was lying, some calling him beggar and thief, telling him to GTFO, etc. I told chat that I would give the guy 1 million isk so that he had plenty of isk to work with. Everyone told me I wouldn't see that isk again, others said just give them the isk, etc. You know how it is.

So after I gave him the 1 million isk, a minute later he gives me back 900,000. I told chat about it and gave the 900,000 isk back. A minute later the same thing happens again. I tell chat again and return the 900,000 isk to the Russian. People in chat are telling me to stop, others are laughing. He once again returns the 900,000 and this time he links my name in chat channel with bold Russian text following it.

I tell corp chat that he gave the damn 900,000 isk back to me again and asked if anyone knew what the Russian text meant. Players said no but someone said the universal translation was that he was pissed off due to the bold text, others agreed and everyone was telling me I should just stop. I told them no, I had decided to give 1 million isk away and I was gonna stick with it so I gave the 900,000 isk back to the Russian for the 3rd time, linked his name in chat with bold English text - STOP.

About 5 minutes later the Russian linked my name in chat again and typed in English - thanks, deal done, sending share of profit. Players in chat started laughing and telling me to just keep the damn 900,000 isk this time. I agreed and when I checked my wallet, the Russian player had given me 10 million isk.

I told chat and the news pretty much had everyone stunned. I linked the Russian's name in chat and typed in thanks with o7. He then linked my name with :) o7.

I will never forget that experience. Just goes to show you not everyone in this game is looking to scam.
Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#12 - 2012-07-06 01:24:37 UTC
Chribba does loads of great things for people Big smile

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." Elim Garak.

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#13 - 2012-07-06 01:32:18 UTC
CCP Skreegs banned alot of bots rather then secretly ask them for a share of the profits to not get banned. I suppose that would make him a good guy too.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#14 - 2012-07-06 01:53:34 UTC
I make stuff that other people can blow up. Does that qualify?

Probably not. There's no sacrifice involved, I like making things, and tinkering with industry stuff.
St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-07-06 05:23:38 UTC
I once helped an old lady cross the road!
Mfume Apocal
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-07-06 05:26:15 UTC
Boudicca Arbosa wrote:
I've spent the past 2-3 days at work reading stories of EVE. Obviously, these stories are highly entertaining, but they're always about scamming, treachery, lying, backstabbing, double crossing and generally acting like turds. It's apart of the game. I get it.

Quote:
Boudicca Arbosa
Aegis Requiem.
Byzantine Empire

Quote:
Byzantine Empire

as a student of history, this makes me laugh. out loud.
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#17 - 2012-07-06 05:32:41 UTC
I help out newbies all the time, but very occasionally lace my advice with the odd tidbit of terrible advice for ***** and giggles.

Does this make me an awesome person or a terrible one?
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2012-07-06 05:33:26 UTC
I think there are alot more stories involving the small guys that just never gets posted. The reason why the bad ones take centre stage is the same reason the news makes money. Sensationalist and bad news sells.

You will never hear a story of a known can flipper, griefer being taken down by a corp that finnaly had enough after plaguing that system for weeks.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

No More Heroes
Sanctuary of Shadows
Dock Workers
#19 - 2012-07-06 06:15:41 UTC  |  Edited by: No More Heroes
A long time ago..

In a galaxy far far away..

a brave and noble Federation of pilots embarked on an epic journey to rid Delve of slumlords and badposters..

Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#20 - 2012-07-06 07:30:45 UTC
There are plenty of interesting stories strewn about all across eve.

Every alliance or corp that doesnt fold at its founding has it ups and down and lows and highs. EON has some interesting stories about that if you can get a hold of them.

If you visit some of the webpages of the older corps and alliances you'll find plenty.

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

123Next page