These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Whose fault is it?

Author
Ston Momaki
Disciples of Ston
#41 - 2012-07-05 12:48:06 UTC
Your arguments have been sufficiently addressed, so I'll avoid another long post.

Let me just pick out one phrase from your wall of text and I leave it at that. This phrase needs no attention from me, because it perfectly illustrates the kind of word play a slave holding society uses to continue the practice.

"It is quite possible that someone is held as a slave by law, while not being a slave" (Mithra)

The Disciples of Ston bid you peace

Scherezad
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#42 - 2012-07-05 14:30:50 UTC
Nicoletta Mithra wrote:
Of course it doesn't logically follow logically that someone not able to embrace the personal, moral agency that humans have been gifted with because of a fundamental disability is a slave. This isn't an implication, after all, Cpt. Momaki, but a definition. The same goes for those, that don't want to embrace their moral agency.

I don't mean to intrude and I hope it isn't seen as an offence, but I thought it best to interject on this point. It's fine to believe that a slave is an individual who does not embrace their moral culpability, but this isn't the common definition. Pragmatically, a slave is someone held in ownership by another. Again, you are free to believe your alternate definition, but maintaining that definition while in public debate will have you speaking at cross-purposes. You accuse good Mr. Monmaki of avoiding your arguments, but I fear that perhaps your own alternate definition is the source of the confusion, not his unwillingness.

May I gently suggest that the both of you proceed with this in mind?
Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#43 - 2012-07-05 14:58:08 UTC
Ston Momaki wrote:
Your arguments have been sufficiently addressed, so I'll avoid another long post.

Let me just pick out one phrase from your wall of text and I leave it at that. This phrase needs no attention from me, because it perfectly illustrates the kind of word play a slave holding society uses to continue the practice.

"It is quite possible that someone is held as a slave by law, while not being a slave" (Mithra)

I'm not sure what your point is. It's not impossible that a holder would want to release a slave as a reward for their efforts, but still retain legal ownership of them while they're getting used to their new life.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#44 - 2012-07-05 16:56:14 UTC
Hmm.

Perhaps there is some merit in the bloodthirsty attitudes of my brothers and sisters. As days go by, it appears that there is less and less within the Empire worth dealing with as civilized people, and more and more which simply should be burned to fine ash.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Nicoletta Mithra
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#45 - 2012-07-05 18:30:18 UTC
Scherezad wrote:
I don't mean to intrude and I hope it isn't seen as an offence, but I thought it best to interject on this point. It's fine to believe that a slave is an individual who does not embrace their moral culpability, but this isn't the common definition. Pragmatically, a slave is someone held in ownership by another. Again, you are free to believe your alternate definition, but maintaining that definition while in public debate will have you speaking at cross-purposes. You accuse good Mr. Monmaki of avoiding your arguments, but I fear that perhaps your own alternate definition is the source of the confusion, not his unwillingness.

May I gently suggest that the both of you proceed with this in mind?

Cpt. Scherezad, I appreciate you voicing your concerns. The issue you raise here is one I'd expect from any reasonable person that grew up outside the Empire. I can understand that you might be used to frame the practice of slavery in terms of ownership. This is, though, in the case of the Amarrian practice of slavery an outsiders perspective.

The assumption that there is such a thing as a 'common definition' of slavery and that it revolves around ownership relations is something that has been pushed time and again, specially by federals. (Critics of the Federation might frame this behaviour as an example of 'cultural imperialsim'.) Amarrians usually didn't mind the misconceptions of what they regard as misguided heathens anyway.

The thing is, though, that Amarrians frame slavery in quite different words, mostly of the religious kind. I try to avoid religious terminology as it's often highly symbolic and metaphorical and thus not readily accessible by those not familiar with Amarrian theology and thus prone to even deeper misunderstandings than the one that slavery is primarily a matter of ownership. Therefore I prefer to explicate the Amarrian concept in secular language.

To insist on the definition of slavery merly by relations of ownership means that one either is unwilling or unable to even try to understand a foreign culture and it's practices in their own terms. If one wants to critizise a certain cultural institution one should first try to understand those institutions and culture. So, as I already pointed out, yes, Cpt. Momaki might be confused by the terminology I'm using, but this confusion stems certainly from his overt unwillingness to engange with Amarrian culture on equal footing, to accept Amarrian terminology and the corresponding definitions as well as without placing his preconceptions into the holes of his understanding. If one does so, one will by necessity engage one's own preconceptions instead of the real thing.

Also, I'd like to point out how Cpt. Momaki turns a blind eye to the fact that there is a thriving market for 'slaves' within the Federation itself, for example, as well as within the Republic - in which Amarr aren't involved at all. If there's any nation that can reasonably claim to be free from slavery in New Eden, it's the Caldari State. It's significant that they are the ones least prone to voicing criticism of the Amarrian practice.

Now to you, Cpt. Momaki: It is quite possible that someone is held as a slave by law, while not being a slave, indeed. Just as it is quite possible that someone is held as a criminal by law, while not being a criminal. Similarly, a criminal who has been rehabilitated prematurely will be held by law to be a criminal until the proper institutions clear him for release. There are lots of scenarios that allow for such situations.

I accept your statement as surrender in debate and your claim that you have already addressed sufficiently as retreat. Fly safe, Captain.

Avlynka, I'm saddened by your words, even though not surprised. I remember a time when you at least tried to understand your opponents. Nowadays it seems you merely see enemies. If one approaches one another with those preconceptions in mind, one will see what is catering to those. I wish you good luck in fighting those inner demons.
Ston Momaki
Disciples of Ston
#46 - 2012-07-05 19:20:33 UTC
It is difficult to answer an argument when it is a moving target. You are quite adept at the bait and switch form of argumentation, much like a politician. I congratulate you. It is easy to say one thing and then later claim that you meant something else. That way, you never have to admit that your argument is wrong. Well, let's keep at it, shall we? It would be nice if you would just state your position in plain language and not beg the poor culturally misunderstood victim ploy.

Let me translate it for you: "If you would just understand me within my cultural context, of course you would agree with me." and on it goes. Stop trying to hide behind a supposed cultural value that you keep conveniently undefined and esoteric. The original post had to do with real human beings held as slaves and owned by someone else. You remind me of a politician who, when confronted about a certain indiscretion quipped, "It depends on what "is" "is.""

While it may be fruitless to try and hit your moving target, I'll give it a try anyway.

For this post, let's just address one or two things.

Mithra: "As to: "Unfortunately, human beings are fallible and do sometimes push their responsibility away, reject their constitution as moral agents and thus forfeit their freedom" Your reading of it is such that the premise isn't true. (It is a premise, by the way, not an implication and thus it can't be a non sequitur.)" You are wrong. You are very fond of using the word "thus." Thus is used when drawing a conclusion from a premise. That is exactly what you do. Non-sequitur is the perfect assignment to such. You say "thus forfeit their freedom." You draw a conclusion from your premise that does not follow. You need to work on your logic.

Mithra: "Also, of course every Amarrian would be happy if all people lived up to their moral responsibility. Your confusion must lie with the ambiguity of the term "Amarrian". Given your argument, it should be obvious that I'm not referring to the Amarrian ethnic group, but to the normative meaning of "Amarrians". On this level it is by definition that an Amarrian is someone who lives righteously. It's unrighteous to keep someone in slavery is he is ready to and will take up moral responsibility. Thus every Amarrian will by logical necessity be releasing those slaves, as by definition those that don't aren't Amarrian" There are several problems with this paragraph, almost too many to address. First, your definition of Amarrian is as slippery as yesterday's fish. It is left to completely arbitrary opinion as to what constitutes living righteously. I note too that leave "righteous living" undefined, and why not? Keep the definition to yourself until after you are criticized, that way you can accuse your detractor of not understanding your definition. At the end of they day you are still left with your definition of "righteous Amarrian" determining who and who does not qualify as having exercised their moral agency to your satisfaction. Those who don't meet your criteria, you call slaves and justify their ownership by the "righteous."

Mithra: "Thus every Amarrian will by logical necessity be releasing those slaves, as by definition those that don't aren't Amarrian" this logical fallacy is called 'asserting the consequence.' Frankly, I'm a bit surprised you let that slip.

Again, at the end of the day, you are making a religious argument. The moment you defined Amarrian in your "normative" sense, you locked yourself in to the religious argument. You have said nothing new or different.

You claim that a religious group called Amarrians have the arbitrary right to determine who is or is not properly exercising their moral agency. Those who are not are arbitrarily called slaves and can furthermore be denied freedom and become the property of said Amarrians. Only said Amarrians can arbitrarily determine if said slaves are ready to be free. And, by asserting the consequence, these true Amarrians will always free those who are ready and that by definition. Please! Stop arguing in circles! Stop saving your definitions! Stop turning your points into esoteric non-sense. You are justifying the arbitrary enslavement of people via your cultural values and then whining about not being understood. You are, indeed, understood, all too well.

The Disciples of Ston bid you peace

Aldrith Shutaq
Atash e Sarum Vanguard
#47 - 2012-07-05 19:46:09 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:
Hmm.

Perhaps there is some merit in the bloodthirsty attitudes of my brothers and sisters. As days go by, it appears that there is less and less within the Empire worth dealing with as civilized people, and more and more which simply should be burned to fine ash.

You can't be serious, Ava.

Aldrith Ter'neth Shutaq Newelle

Fleet Captain of the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Divine Commodore of the 24th Imperial Crusade

Lord Consort of Lady Mitara Newelle, Champion of House Sarum and Holder of Damnidios Para'nashu

Kalaratiri
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#48 - 2012-07-05 19:51:10 UTC
Aldrith Shutaq wrote:
Ava Starfire wrote:
Hmm.

You can't be serious, Ava.

Well.. considering the outlook of your own organisation, you would appear, at least in some part, to agree with her?

She's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire.

This is possibly one of the worst threads in the history of these forums.  - CCP Falcon

I don't remember when last time you said something that wasn't either dumb or absurd. - Diana Kim

Aldrith Shutaq
Atash e Sarum Vanguard
#49 - 2012-07-05 20:22:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Aldrith Shutaq
What exactly about the outlook of the Knighthood means that I would agree with someone who is shifting into violent attitudes towards an entire civilization based on the bickering of a few of its members?

The only people the Knighthood would like to reduce to ash are those who have been proven to be participants in a serious evil. I would be the first one to light the pyre beneath a Holder who has done this, but only once I am convinced he deserves it. The 'brothers and sisters' Ava seems to reference often do not have so much consideration.

Ava was not specific about what praticular part of this thread made her come to the conclusion she should give sympathy to murders and terrorists who usually end up killing more Amarrian commoners and slaves than unjust Holders with their bombings and shooting-sprees, but I am fairly sure it was unwarranted.

Aldrith Ter'neth Shutaq Newelle

Fleet Captain of the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Divine Commodore of the 24th Imperial Crusade

Lord Consort of Lady Mitara Newelle, Champion of House Sarum and Holder of Damnidios Para'nashu

Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#50 - 2012-07-05 20:38:46 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:
Hmm.

And that is the difference between us.

Where we seek to improve the lot of the lesser races, you merely seek to destroy that which is better than you.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Scherezad
#51 - 2012-07-05 23:12:26 UTC
Thank you, Captain Mthra, for your quick and thorough reply. You do your position good service by your willingness to clarify. I have another question, however, to further specify the conflict between yourself and Captain Monmaki. What is the Amarrian term for an individual who has taken on the burden of moral culpability for themselves (i.e. not a slave, by your definition) but is still held in ownership by another? If there is no separate word, perhaps you could expound on why this is the case? It strikes me as an important distinction, given the deep Amarrian convictions towards these topics.

To sum, if a lack of moral agency is the central factor of being a slave, how could someone who has taken on responsibility for their actions ever be presumed to be one?

Thank you again for your patience.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#52 - 2012-07-06 00:46:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Nicoletta Mithra
Cpt. Momaki, I already stated the essence of my argument in quite plain language, your own words, even. I will repeat it for you:

Nicoletta Mithra wrote:
Wasn't it you who said: "The essence of freedom is personal responsibility."? What now with those who shirk their responsibility as moral agents (in general)? What if someone is not "embracing personal, moral agency", the, as you said, "first and most important step in gaining true freedom"?
You won't call those that didn't even make this step truly free, will you? But if they possess no true freedom, the best they got is a false freedom. A false freedom isn't freedom at all, thus, those people are unfree.

Now, how is it not a mercy to lead the unfree to freedom?

A) "Unfortunately, human beings are fallible and do sometimes push their responsibility away, reject their constitution as moral agents and thus forfeit their freedom"

Your own words are "The essence of freedom is personal responsibility.". If someone shirks personal responsibility he fails to fulfill the prime criterion of freedom you yourself gave. So, you're contradicting yourself if you claim that from rejecting ones constitution as moral agent doesn't follow from the rejection of moral agency. Let me state the implicated fully and more explicitly:

P1: "The essence of freedom is personal responsibility."
P2: Humans can and time and again do reject their personal responsibility.
P1+P2: Humans that reject their responsibility lack the essence of freedom.
P3: If you lack the essence of something you lack that something.

Of course they lack freedom only to the degree they reject their responsibility, so, that someone who rejects his responsibility entirely lacks freedom entirely.

So, either you have to revoke your own words, or you will have to agree that if someone lacks the essence of freedom, personal responsibility, he is, indeed unfree.

The reason why I responded that it's a premise is, because you were stating that it's a non sequitur and then related to that 'this is my opinion' and you were pointing to the "freed slaves" that are capable of morally responsible action. Thus, your implication was that I had some kind of implication here that goes like this:

P1: If someone is a slave, he rejects moral responsibility.
P2: Person X is called a slave.

The above argument is indeed a misconstrual of what I have said and I hope you see that, now. I don't implicate that because someone is held as a slave it's safe to assume his rejection of moral responsibility. Instead I define a slave as someone rejecting moral responsibility, as I pointed out above.

B) Definition of Amarrian.

The definition is just fine. Of course it's left open what is righteous. That's exactly why it's a misconstrual to simply assume that I'm presupposing a specific definition of what "righteous" is. I did deliberately let it open as I think this is indeed a topic one would have to discuss.

Therefore a quite valid interjection of you would be at this point: "But slavery isn't righteous." I'd then be in the situation that I'd have to argue for the righteousness, that is the justification of slavery. And that, I did above - partially, as I have to admit.

C) "Asserting the consequence."

Again, you're misconstruing my argument to build up a straw men. The fallacy you cite follows the scheme:

P1: If P, then Q
P2: Q

This is indeed a fallacy, as other things then P might implicate Q.

My given argument is another, though, as there's a biconditional, not a simple implication at work in P1, as it's a definition - as I already made clear. Let me explicate it for you:

P1: Someone is an Amarrian if and only if he lives righteously and in fear of God.
P2: Person X doesn't live righteously and in fear of God.

The argument, by the way, isn't a religious one, but the definition of Amarrian, indeed, has religious overtones. That is, of course, because what an Amarrian is (partly) defined religiously. You might insist here on the 'and in fear of God' clause to invoke religious bigotry. I'd like to point out that 'living in fear of God' doesn't implicate any specific religion here and that the conjunction in place means that it doesn't matter whether someone lives in fear of God, if he fails to live righteously he isn't an Amarrian by virtue of that biconditional that's in place here.

C) "You claim that a religious group called Amarrians have the arbitrary right to determine who is or is not properly exercising their moral agency. [...] You are, indeed, understood, all too well."

That, dear Cpt. Momaki is exactly not what I'm claiming. So, stop to insinuate that this is what I do, you will only discredit yourself by doing so.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#53 - 2012-07-06 01:01:39 UTC
Cpt. Scherezad,

I have to say that there is no singular term for someone who lives up to his moral responsibility (which is more than just taking the burden of culpability, as responsibility implicates that you've an obligation to not do anything that would be wrong and not just to accept punishment for your failings when already committed). One would have to resort to formulations like "someone held as a slave without proper justification".

To respond to your question of how someone can be presumed to be a slave who has taken up moral responsibility:

Well, the answer is quite the same as the one given in response to the question: "How could someone who hasn't committed a crime ever be presumed to be a criminal?" It is, to speak rather broadly, because humans are fallible and can make mistakes, even people who are professionally trained to differentiate between criminal and non-criminal or slave and non-slave can at times make simple mistakes.

There might also be wrong conceptions about how it shows that someone is rejecting his personal responsibility or isn't able to exercise it. Just as a court in the federation might give someone as a charge to a legal guardians based on unjustified preconceptions, a court in the Empire might assign someone as a slave to a holder based on unjustified preconceptions. So, people might actually be trained to place people into such a position in which they don't belong.

So, there are reasons as well on the level of the fallibility of the individual human as well as on the level of human fallibility on the societal level.

As I'm curious, now: Does the Gallentean language have a term for someone wrongfully convicted of a crime?
Dilaro thagriin
Doomheim
#54 - 2012-07-06 01:04:53 UTC
Rodj Blake wrote:
Ava Starfire wrote:
Hmm.

Where we seek to improve the lot of the lesser races, you merely seek to destroy that which is better than you.

In this case Blake, 'better' is entirely subjective.

Personally i cannot see how a culture and civilisation (and i use those terms very loosely) that institutionally infects those it claims to be saving, with a toxin they had no cure for, can be seen by any to be better.

It is barbarism of the worst kind.

Some who are born of the amarrian culture appear to understand this flaw, most are willfully ignorant of it.

yet it is the vocal minority, such as yourself, that engender such vehement responses from the Matari people, that minority that claim that such methods are justifiable and righteous.

You and those like you blake, are the reason that, as Tamiroth said with such beautiful words, 'God wields a Khumaak'

Now, I don't believe in the god your scriptures describe, yet if - for the sake of argument alone - we accept that theory, then the war, the hardship and the loss Amarr is sufferring now, is the will of your god. Ergo, you are doing something wrong. Think on that.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#55 - 2012-07-06 01:24:35 UTC
Dilaro thagriin wrote:
Rodj Blake wrote:

In this case Blake, 'better' is entirely subjective.

Well, one can take care of that objection by restating:

>Where we seek to improve the lot of the races perceived by us to be lesser, you merely seek to destroy that which is perceived by you to be lesser than you.<

The difference would still be a marked one.

Also, if you accept 'that theory', then you have to accept that the enslavement of the Matari, the war and problems within the Republic are the will of god. Ergo, you're doing something wrong as well.

Though, I think you're not doing justice to Amarrian theology and Scripture with "that theory" if it entails that everything that happens is happening directly because god wills it. He isn't playing us like string puppets. What happens does happen because He gifted us with freedom and we chose to use it like we did. These actions have consequences. It doesn't mean that God wants the suffering. It just means that He values our freedom higher than us not suffering, especially if it was us who, in a way, chose to suffer.
Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#56 - 2012-07-06 01:27:16 UTC
Nicoletta Mithra wrote:

C: People who reject personal responsibility lack freedom.

This sounds awfully familiar, but in a good way.

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Scherezad
#57 - 2012-07-06 01:35:45 UTC
Captain Mithra;

Bestill my heart, a sum! You are at this moment my favourite Capsuleer. May I cross-examine? In so doing I'm afraid I will tip my hand with a new argument. As it stands, however, your sums are good, and that if all of the postulates stand then your conclusions are valid.

Nicoletta Mithra wrote:

I would like to point out that your second postulate bears deeper examination. One may declare that they don't care about the consequences of their actions, but this does not absolve them. This demonstrates my deepest concern with the argument you've put forward. I posit that moral agents are responsible for their actions regardless of whether they accept that responsibility or not.

Now, to your answer of my previous question. Your answer is as I thought it might be, and I'll press no further on the point beyond a suggestion. If the word "slave" is practically asociated with ownership, is Captain Monmaki's statement on the evils of slavery, and his offence at your using his words to support slavery, a bit more understandable?

A Gallente word that means, "Unjustly held criminal." Hm. Pamalfaiteur? I'm afraid I don't know the language as well as I ought.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#58 - 2012-07-06 01:39:37 UTC
Silas Vitalia wrote:
Nicoletta Mithra wrote:

C: People who reject personal responsibility lack freedom.

This sounds awfully familiar, but in a good way.

Hear again: There's a marked difference between personal responsibility and personal power. Freedom arises not from the power to do as one sees fit. It arises from subjecting oneself to the obligations of ethics and morality.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#59 - 2012-07-06 02:08:16 UTC
Cpt. Scherezad,

thanks for your kind response. I'll try to repay the favor in the same spirit:

Scherezad wrote:

Nicoletta Mithra wrote:

I would like to point out that your second postulate bears deeper examination. One may declare that they don't care about the consequences of their actions, but this does not absolve them. This demonstrates my deepest concern with the argument you've put forward. I posit that moral agents are responsible for their actions regardless of whether they accept that responsibility or not.

I'd respond to that with making clear that responsibility and accountability aren't the same, if one is talking about responsibility as being the essence of freedom. Of course, even if someone declares that they don't care about the consequences of their actions, he is not absolved of them. This, though, is a question of accountability. Acting responsibly means more than being accountable: it also means that one does accept this accountability for ones actions and beyond this, that one figures this in when deciding on any course of action one considers to engage in. That is, moral autonomy - the decision to act with ones moral and ethical obligations in mind.

If one doesn't do this, one acts irresponsibly, though indeed that doesn't change that one is accountable for those actions.

Scherezad wrote:
Now, to your answer of my previous question. Your answer is as I thought it might be, and I'll press no further on the point beyond a suggestion. If the word "slave" is practically asociated with ownership, is Captain Monmaki's statement on the evils of slavery, and his offence at your using his words to support slavery, a bit more understandable?

A Gallente word that means, "Unjustly held criminal." Hm. Pamalfaiteur? I'm afraid I don't know the language as well as I ought.

While I can understand that non-Amarr in general are often confused or offended at me or others using their words to support slavery or at any support of slavery and beyond that can understand that Cpt. Momaki specifically was and probably still is offended at me using his words in such a way.

As to "Pamalfeiteur", wouldn't that just be a non-criminal of any kind, whether mistakenly convicted or not?
Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#60 - 2012-07-06 02:41:06 UTC
Nicoletta Mithra wrote:

Hear again: There's a marked difference between personal responsibility and personal power. Freedom arises not from the power to do as one sees fit. It arises from subjecting oneself to the obligations of ethics and morality.

That sounds a bit of an oxymoron, or something I used to hear often in church. Subjecting to this to gain freedom from that, etc etc. Usually right before the collection plate was passed around.

It's better this way:

Freedom arises directly from the power to do as one sees fit. It arises from rejecting the common obligations of ethics and morality.

Sabik now, Sabik forever