These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Potential revenue from dust... to invest in EVE or WOD?

Author
Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#21 - 2012-07-05 17:39:59 UTC
Denidil wrote:
revenue from Dust? lol.. not until they open it to pc users

Precisely. Making it PS3 only was a terrible decision.
Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#22 - 2012-07-05 18:41:28 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
If Dust is successful enough to pull a profit, IMO those funds should go to EVE (and a little Dust) development.

Its only fair since EVE payed for Dust.

EDIT: I hate WoD and wish CCP never decided to work on it.

Dust investing back into eve is poor business sense. The reason for the economic problems last year was because they developed too much with too little investment. Development of new products is needed for continued growth. When dust goes live, the money for eve from that will be in getting people into eve. The profits should go to WoD which opens up an entirely new income branch of people who prefer fantasy and horror to internets spaceships.

Because of WoD differences, it was a good business choice for ccp. Because of the style and environment, CCP is good for WoD in making a game most befitting of a vampyrism game. The concepts ccp has already brought out are amazing and implementable. In all regards, at least in the short term, WoD would probably quite quickly bypass Eve.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#23 - 2012-07-05 18:44:03 UTC
WoD sounded ok when it was first announced but... 5 years on no one really cares anymore. Scrap vampire barbie dolls, focus more on spaceships.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#24 - 2012-07-05 20:28:10 UTC
Copine Callmeknau wrote:
It all goes to CCP, whereupon every project they are working on will receive funding as is determined by their team leaders and accountants.

Nothing is ever 100% earmarked for use on one particular thing, use your fracking brain

i did but i am sure that ccp values the opionions of its clients so thats why we have the thought experiment... where in our opinion should the money go? new tech new devs... and so on...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2012-07-05 20:32:38 UTC  |  Edited by: MotherMoon
Quote:
that means that investment that would have gone into eve was put into dust and WOD...

nope, wrong, would not read again

OUR MONEY goes to CCP, and it then spent on things CCP does. you get a month of eve for your money, They are a company not a consumer. It's about where the money comes from, how much of it you have, how many empolyees can you handle, and how many games you can make at once. The money that comes in the more games you can make.

Mark of words if dust makes a ton of money, the extra money it makes over breaking even and paying the employees, will be put into something new. Something most likely tied into eve, but new. Maybe even a single player game. It'll happen at some point, there is no avoiding it.

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

Rath Kelbore
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#26 - 2012-07-06 22:13:25 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
so lets play a thought experiment here...

lets assume that Dust

Got this far, could not take op seriously.

I plan on living forever.......so far, so good.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#27 - 2012-07-07 00:46:07 UTC
Rath Kelbore wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:

lets assume that Dust

hey there are an infinite amount of parallel universes.. so in one of them dust has to be a success...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#28 - 2012-07-07 01:27:39 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Rath Kelbore wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:

lets assume that Dust

hey there are an infinite amount of parallel universes.. so in one of them dust has to be a success...

I do hope its this one. I want Dust to succeed just enough so that CCP wishes to open it up for PC in the future.

I can dream right?
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#29 - 2012-07-07 01:40:37 UTC
Meh...

I don't think Dust is going to be the second golden-egg-laying goose that CCP seems to think it's going to be, certainly not if they don't port it to PC/Mac.

I mean, another pay-to-win console FPS?

It's not like that market isn't glutted beyond belief, now, is it.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#30 - 2012-07-07 01:54:05 UTC
Tarryn Nightstorm wrote:

How many other console FPSes are there where the fights you fight today shape the universe that you're playing in? This isn't a ladder competition where the ladder gets reset every season.

The persistent world FPS (or FPSMMO) is a small niche that CCP is trying to create. I expect it will attract a following of similar size to EVE Online. I wouldn't be surprised to find that DUST actually gets bigger than EVE in terms of active customers, even if only a fraction of them are paying customers.
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#31 - 2012-07-08 04:28:15 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Tarryn Nightstorm wrote:

How many other console FPSes are there where the fights you fight today shape the universe that you're playing in? This isn't a ladder competition where the ladder gets reset every season.

[...]

True, but only if CCP succeeds in marketing it as such right off the blocks; I submit that most experienced--read: Jaded--FPS types won't perceive it as anything but "more of the same," as it were.

Does CCP have the budget/resources to do the kind of marketing blitz that could overcome that?

And if Dust is to be P2W as it appears, then fights/victories in that universe are not something I want to get within a country light-year of this one.

Nasty, nasty implications there, on all kinds of levels, IMHO.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#32 - 2012-07-08 04:38:06 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Everet Ruhen wrote:
On a personal level, put it toward whichever game allows for me to walk around in a cantina in fancy clothes the soonest.

On a business level, I split it 40% for EVE, 40% for WOD, 20% for Dust.

interesting enough but wis is actually going to be exploration pvp... like the video that ccp did earlier this year... expect the movie alien but in space but without any actual aliens... but more then likely scarry looking sleepers in the stations...

it is not sure yet ,that WIS-exploration will be added to this game.
Its an idea the devs are testing .
But there are a lot of people wanting this,so the chances are high

R.S.I2014

Previous page12