These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

About this new ancillary Shield Boosters

Author
LilRemmy
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-06-29 03:37:14 UTC
shhh
snake pies
Dixon Cox Butte Preservation Society
#42 - 2012-06-29 03:56:44 UTC
The other day a bunch of cyclones came for a roam with ancillary shield boosters, and they tanked well, but they all died to regular ships still.

It is not overpowered, it is an enjoyable surprise to come across them, leave them as the are or they will become an unused module like so many other.

Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#43 - 2012-06-29 04:33:04 UTC
I like them alot. I've used them in combat and I've faced them in combat. They're not overpowered and they add a new dimension to the game that essentially tosses a hand grenade onto established fits and concepts.

They have a fantastic tank that is available to the common man. It lasts a short period of time but in that time you can take one hell of alot of abuse. They are not completely immune to nuets but they do make nuets alot more of a question. You are not going to completely shut down the tank with nuets. You're trying to shut down the weapon system - and that is alot harder to do.

It's also possible to overtank a ship; that is to tank it to the point where you gut it's DPS. I had a gank fit Enyo take out a Hawk with dual Medium A. Boosters. My enyo's tank consisted of a damage control and a explosive plating II.
Copine Callmeknau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2012-06-29 05:56:13 UTC
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
It's also possible to overtank a ship; that is to tank it to the point where you gut it's DPS. I had a gank fit Enyo take out a Hawk with dual Medium A. Boosters.

That same tank is pretty nice on a sabre ;)

There should be a rather awesome pic here

Kilabi
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2012-07-03 14:34:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Kilabi
Copine Callmeknau wrote:
Kilabi wrote:
Copine Callmeknau wrote:
Ancillary fits are ridiculously easy to kill if you go about it the right way.

protips for the pants-on-head ********
1) They have almost no buffer
2) They gonna run out of boosters eventually
3) They can solo-tank your gang, but solo tankers don't do well vs ECM.

1.) Like all the active tanks, and on BS, its still pretty decent.
2.) oh, really?
3.) HOW THE **** YOU KILL PEOPLE WITH ECM!!!?

For god sake, do we play the same game...

1) No, it's WORSE than the typical active tank (which is paper thin anyway), because if you are doing ASB fits correctly you are fitting boost amps instead of hardeners, and you probably won't have the CPU for a damage control. ie, much lower resistances, much less EHP, bring a damn tornado dummy.
2) Yes
3) You jam them, then you sit there shooting them for as long as you please because they are unable to shoot back.

For gods sake, have you actually flown an ASB fit ship?

lol, yeah i forgot that i alphaed a maelstrom last week with my cane.
And while you are shooting they back while ECM, they can jump back \o/ (if they are not stupid and you are really going to kill them).

So to sum up :

We have a module which makes other active tanks ridiculous. (Who will be enough stupid to use regular and expensive active shield tanks now? For armor this is till different, but still loking ridiculous compared to ASB...)
It is giving so much boost that nearly all logis in ATX fitted one.
There is NO COUNTERS against them (what has been said before is just bullshit, clearly : "alpha them" (Bring your ten slaves in tornados please, ive a lonedly cyclone to kill), waiting them to run out of cap boosters (10mn to put down a dual asb mael with 2 proteus, yes TEN MINUTES), and i dont speak about ecm.... yeah what subcap ship is invulnerable to ecm?)

If you want to KILL THEM, not to survive, that IS NOT THE QUESTION, escaping is not a win.

So metagame for solo/small gang is just ****** up now.

AND EVERYONE FINDS IT FINE?

WAKE UP PLEASE!

When everyone will play your solo cyclone of da death, you wont find it fun at all.
Signal11th
#46 - 2012-07-03 14:37:26 UTC
Kilabi wrote:
Copine Callmeknau wrote:
Kilabi wrote:
Copine Callmeknau wrote:

2.) oh, really?

1) No, it's WORSE than the typical active tank (which is paper thin anyway), because if you are doing ASB fits correctly you are fitting boost amps instead of hardeners, and you probably won't have the CPU for a damage control. ie, much lower resistances, much less EHP, bring a damn tornado dummy.
2) Yes
3) You jam them, then you sit there shooting them for as long as you please because they are unable to shoot back.

And while you are shooting they back while ECM, they can jump back \o/ (if they are not stupid and you are really going to kill them).

So to sum up :

We have a module which makes other active tanks ridiculous. (Who will be enough stupid to use regular and expensive active shield tanks now? For armor this is till different, but still loking ridiculous compared to ASB...)
It is giving so much boost that nearly all logis in ATX fitted one.
There is NO COUNTERS against them (what has been said before is just bullshit, clearly : "alpha them" (Bring your ten slaves in tornados please, ive a lonedly cyclone to kill), waiting them to run out of cap boosters (10mn to put down a dual asb mael with 2 proteus, yes TEN MINUTES), and i dont speak about ecm.... yeah what subcap ship is invulnerable to ecm?)

If you want to KILL THEM, not to survive, that IS NOT THE QUESTION, escaping is not a win.

So metagame for solo/small gang is just ****** up now.

AND EVERYONE FINDS IT FINE?

WAKE UP PLEASE!

When everyone will play your solo cyclone of da death, you wont find it fun at all.

Plenty of people who just fought in the alliance tourney will disagree with you.

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Copine Callmeknau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#47 - 2012-07-03 14:38:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Copine Callmeknau
Kilabi wrote:
Copine Callmeknau wrote:
Kilabi wrote:
Copine Callmeknau wrote:

2.) oh, really?

2) Yes

Man fails to solo kill a BS while in a BC, whines - More at 11

Kilabi
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2012-07-03 15:13:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Kilabi
I guess that people not seeing the problem are not used to make small gang/solo PvP.

And if you are and still not enough lucid to see the problem, im pretty sure you will whine in 3-6 Monthes about how the game is not balanced...

EDIT : And yes, limiting this module to one per ship would be a good compromise i think...
Lucy Ferrr
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2012-07-03 16:25:44 UTC
I like flying in small gangs, and I like the new shield booster, but I must admit it didn't make sense at launch and still doesn't. If it repped the same amount of shield as a normal shield booster, it would still be better than a normal shield booster. With a normal shield booster you need a cap booster and a shield booster, taking up 2 mid slots (plus most likely cap rigs). The ASB does the same but using only one slot, combining the shield booster and cap booster into one mod. The thing is they don't rep the same amount of shield, the ABS reps twice the shield of a normal shield booster of the same size. To me that doesn't really make sense, if anything it should be the other way around. The normal shield booster that takes cap should be healing more shield, not the neut-immune shield booster that only uses up one slot.
Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#50 - 2012-07-03 17:25:35 UTC
By themselves the ancillary boosters are very reasonable. Great tank for a short period of time. Even the dual X-Large Mael and Rokh aren't that bad. The Mael reps 1271 with one and 2543 with two. The Rokh reps 1228 and 2456 respectively. It doesn't take that many ships to force these ships to use both boosters at the same time. And once that happens their life expectancy is limited.

The problem is when people have off-grid Tengu boosters, crystal implants, and blue pills. The numbers above get boosted to insane levels. Remove off-grid boosting and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Freezehunter
#51 - 2012-07-03 17:34:22 UTC
I agree that it should be one per ship...

That 60 sec reload is totally being negated by putting 2 or more of the things on your ship.

It's bullshit when a single battleship can tank an entire gate camp for 8 minutes.

Inappropriate signature, CCP Phantom.

TheBreadMuncher
Protus Correction Facility Inc.
#52 - 2012-07-03 17:41:39 UTC
Why it's OP (ignore the battleclinic):

http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/61583-Rokh-God-of-highsec.html

Now the Caldari actually have a viable counter to the Shield Hyperion - woe is me >_<

"We will create the introduction thread if that is requested by the community. Also, we will have an ISD Seminar about the CCL team in the coming weeks in which you can ask your questions about the CCL team and provide some constructive feedback to us." - Countless pages of locked threads and numerous permabanned accounts later, change is coming.

coldhart Siner
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#53 - 2012-07-03 20:25:28 UTC
If you limit them to one per ship they need to be also let them boost from your cap well reloading
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#54 - 2012-07-03 20:26:50 UTC
Anci shield fits: officially unstoppable solopwnmobiles.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Katja Faith
Doomheim
#55 - 2012-07-03 20:49:43 UTC
Is it only OP because you're losing fights because of it?? Tilts the balance away from your killmails?
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#56 - 2012-07-03 20:53:50 UTC
Katja Faith wrote:
Is it only OP because you're losing fights because of it?? Tilts the balance away from your killmails?

That doesn't really make any sense, everything that is OP results in people losing fights from it. And what do ancillary shield boosters have to do with KMs?

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Kilabi
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2012-07-03 21:27:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Kilabi
Its not about whining about "thats so unfair i lost my ultrapimped ship vs a ****** T1 fitted ASB BC".
(And if you want to know, i didnt lost any ship to this new fits, so really idc about it.)

Its about not ruining the metagame.

The other active fits are so weak compared to this new one.
Copine Callmeknau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#58 - 2012-07-04 00:44:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Copine Callmeknau
Simi Kusoni wrote:

/thread

Gee, it's like if you just shoot at an ancil fit long enough it dies in a humiliating fire

Adapt or die bitches

MinefieldS
1 Sick Duck Standss on something
#59 - 2012-07-04 03:41:18 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:

hahaha 240 points
Shade Millith
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#60 - 2012-07-04 05:12:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Shade Millith
Kilabi wrote:
Copine Callmeknau wrote:
Kilabi wrote:
Copine Callmeknau wrote:

2.) oh, really?

2) Yes

You wouldn't have had any more luck if the Maelstrom was normally shield boosting.

The fits have -

Far less EHP - Subject to alpha even worse than normal SBing fits
No Capbooster - Suject to neuting
Require150+ more CPU (ASB's require 200 CPU each). - Fits are VERY tight, and require fitting mods, removing damage