These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Why does CCP allow some botting but not all?

Author
adam smash
Department of Gub'nent Welfare
Harkonnen Federation
#1 - 2012-07-03 05:41:09 UTC
Ya so really... mining bot bad... banned...

Lottery bot... no problem? Seems kinda **** up here.

If you want to run a lottery or something... you should need to do it ON YOUR OWN... the thing is every lottery making isk here is automated...

And I'll admit I aint into how they work enough to know how stuff is contracted back, but really if a real live person is not setting up ALLLLLLL these contracts.... I mean really?

Also all the RMT services... sure your going to call and outside serivce for ISK not RMT but does this then mean I may use ISK to buy goods outside the game? If a guy I know wants 2billion for some concert tickets is this legit? How about selling me some tools for isk? I can't give the guy $30 for isk but I can give other things?

Pretty ****** up.

Maybe CCP would like to clear up here how you can sell SOME things for isk and not others and how you can bot SOME parts of the game but not others.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#2 - 2012-07-03 05:45:37 UTC
Come ban him ISD, he abused my mind.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Luis Graca
#3 - 2012-07-03 05:59:02 UTC
So ... i guess you didn't win
DarkAegix
Acetech Systems
#4 - 2012-07-03 06:26:15 UTC
Despite being insane, the OP raises a good point.
Surely the scammy spam that floods Jita local can't possibly be people sitting at their keyboard 23.5/7 hammering ctrl-V and enter.
Bobo Cindekela
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-07-03 06:31:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Bobo Cindekela
+1

i would prefer that automation be expressly permitted on all fronts, but i dont run this thing

You are about to engage in an arguement with a forum alt,  this is your final warning.

Pipa Porto
#6 - 2012-07-03 06:50:46 UTC
Sorry you didn't win your Blink. Don't buy tickets you can't afford to lose.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#7 - 2012-07-03 06:53:01 UTC
They're not allowed either and should be reported as bots too. Same goes for the spam bots, only problem with these bots are that they are much easier to recycle.

I reports spambots nearly every day, sadly even the most obvious ones take a while for CCP to remove, and by that time their trial has run out and they made a new account.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

adam smash
Harkonnen Federation
#8 - 2012-07-03 09:09:30 UTC
I dont gamble at any of those sites thanks, the point stands... it is still automated isk making.

The site runs the games, even if the in game pay out is by hand (ya right) the isk making is still botted.

Same goes for the voice servers for isk.

Very simple question... why are people allowed to bot / RMT isk in some ways but not others?

What makes the mining bot so bad it should be banned, but the lottery bot is okay? (again it is MAKING isk by a "bot" running on the website)

Why can you sell RL services (like vent servers) for isk yet I can't pay someone money (paper with value same as a vent server for X a month?)

If someone should be allowed to make a website that runs on it's own, and makes said person isk. Another person should be allowed to bot mining for example.

The mining of the ore is botted. The refine and selling / hauling is not.

The running of the games is scripted. The buying and giving out of prizes (lets say) is not.

Same ****. Automated isk making. But it is CCP allowed automated isk making.
Adam Junior
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-07-03 09:42:55 UTC
It's no more automated ISK making then say using eve-central to decide where to sell things. The lottery code simply helps you decide who to give the money / stuff - all transactions are done by human beings.
Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#10 - 2012-07-03 09:46:36 UTC
adam smash wrote:
I dont gamble at any of those sites thanks, the point stands... it is still automated isk making.

The site runs the games, even if the in game pay out is by hand (ya right) the isk making is still botted.

Very simple question... why are people allowed to bot / RMT isk in some ways but not others?

What makes the mining bot so bad it should be banned, but the lottery bot is okay? (again it is MAKING isk by a "bot" running on the website)

Why can you sell RL services (like vent servers) for isk yet I can't pay someone money (paper with value same as a vent server for X a month?)

If someone should be allowed to make a website that runs on it's own, and makes said person isk. Another person should be allowed to bot mining for example.

The running of the games is scripted. The buying and giving out of prizes (lets say) is not.

Today I learned that all of nullsec engages in botting through our forums.

OH MY GOD!

I'M BOTTING RIGHT NOW BY POSTING!

HELP ME!!!

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Roime
Shiva Furnace
#11 - 2012-07-03 10:42:33 UTC
adam smash wrote:

CCP allows certain EVE-related services to be sold for ISK, such as forum signature design, killboards, Teamspeak ect. These are services provided by other people made with external tools and talent, and not automating the game client.

Hope you can understand this difference before adamsmashing your keyboard again.

adam smash
Harkonnen Federation
#12 - 2012-07-03 10:53:31 UTC
WoW bot = = RMT?

I think not... maybe rethink the whole reason RMT was in that?

All of life is a service for something. Your job it is service for paper that has value.
Internet Lawyer Steve
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-07-03 11:54:31 UTC
Aiwha wrote:
adam smash wrote:

Today I learned that all of nullsec engages in botting through our forums.

OH MY GOD!

I'M BOTTING RIGHT NOW BY POSTING!

HELP ME!!!

Maybe you should learn how to undock. Make a tutorial about it and pass it around. I am sure "Undocking" might help save your space.

Internet Lawyer Steve and Associates,

Bringing Justice to New Eden, One post at a time...

Patient 2428190
DEGRREE'Fo'FREE Internet Business School
#14 - 2012-07-03 13:38:18 UTC
Because that kind of botting doesn't exist in CCP's eyes.

It took CCP years to acknowledge people were botting, and it will take them years to figure out that mass banning and parading out their ban master once a year isn't an effective tool to stop cheating.
Rath Kelbore
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-07-03 21:53:02 UTC
I don't think an external site that runs a lottery counts as botting.

If those sites were using bots to pay out ect in game then you might have a case.

I use excel for industry, it does math for me, am I botting???

I plan on living forever.......so far, so good.

Ziranda Hakuli
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-07-03 21:58:38 UTC
MYBRAIN!!!!

i want a ban hammer
Rosewalker
Khumaak Flying Circus
#17 - 2012-07-03 23:01:20 UTC
Patient 2428190 wrote:

It took CCP years to acknowledge people were botting, and it will take them years to figure out that mass banning and parading out their ban master once a year isn't an effective tool to stop cheating.

Mass bannings once a year? I didn't realize CCP did that. I thought they constantly banned botters. Or are you a troll? Oops

The Nosy Gamer - CCP Random: "hehe, falls under the category: nice try, but no. ;)"

Jimmy Gunsmythe
Sebiestor Tribe
#18 - 2012-07-03 23:04:09 UTC
Rosewalker wrote:
Patient 2428190 wrote:

Mass bannings once a year? I didn't realize CCP did that. I thought they constantly banned botters. Or are you a troll? Oops

Every year, and usually they do it alphabetically. I think they are coming up on the letter R this year.

John Hancock

Lucy Ferrr
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2012-07-03 23:45:44 UTC
Rosewalker wrote:
Patient 2428190 wrote:

He's a troll.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
Just let it happen
#20 - 2012-07-03 23:49:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
So you got caught botting? And are now trying to justify it, or get the rules changed? Sorry, not happening.

Botting is only automating the client, as that is how you interact with CCP's severs; via the client. All the anti-bot language in the EULA is to specify how you are allowed to use the client to interact with their server.

That said, a quick reading of the EULA does show how the OP got confused:

"3. You may not use macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play."

Nowhere in there does it say this limitation applies only to the client. But to think otherwise would be silly. For example does the EULA mean I cannot automate a task so I can get household chores done sooner, and play eve more? After all that would be using a macro to acquire in-game items faster.....

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

12Next page