These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Alright, what is Planetary Interaction? How do I make spacebucks?

Author
Wu Jiaqiu
#1 - 2012-06-27 11:51:56 UTC
I have absolutely NO idea about how to go about this feature. I could use some guides and links. I understand when you get the materials, you are to haul them off and sell them right? How does one refine these materials? What skills do I need?

I am thinking about making it in low sec. What should I know?
Pinstar Colton
Sweet Asteroid Acres
#2 - 2012-06-27 12:25:00 UTC
On a high level you build a command center on a planet. That command center supplies Powergrid and CPU to support other colony structures.

You can use this powergrid to build structures that extract raw resources from planets, structures that process those resources into a more refined version or structures that combine several different PI goods into more advanced forms.

You can import or export goods on/off a planet by way of a launchpad and the customs office. The customs office charges you a tax on the goods you import/export so you have to factor that into your profits. In high sec, all planets are owned by CONCORD and charge a 10% tax rate. In low/null/WH space, planets are either owned by Interbus, who charges a 17% tax, or by player owned corporations, who can charge whatever tax rate they want to. Many corporations will charge insane tax rates to neutral players. There are some who charge a more reasonable rate. Doing some searching in low sec is worth while.

Different PI goods have different uses, and the demand (and price) for some goods is higher than others, so do your market research before deciding which goods to get into. The type of goods you can produce is also limited by planet. Each planet type can only produce 5 different raw materials (and it is only feasable to extract 1, maybe 2 of them at a time from a single colony.

In terms of skills, here is what you want to get to do PI properly

Remote Sensing III
Planetology III
Command Center Upgrades IV
Interplanetary Consolidation IV

The above is what you should really shoot for. This will give you 5 colonies that can be large enough to have decently large setups. If you want to get more advanced pick up Planetology IV and Advanced Planetology IV. This will add a great amount of accuracy to your resource scans and allow you to more reliably find pockets of high resource yields.

At the end of the day, PI won't make you Megabucks, but it is (once setup) fairly passive income and can supplement your income from elsewhere.

In the cat-and-mouse game that is low sec, there is no shame in learning to be a better mouse.

Rengerel en Distel
#3 - 2012-06-27 12:49:05 UTC
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=eve+pi

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Katja Faith
Doomheim
#4 - 2012-06-27 18:45:42 UTC
Wu Jiaqiu wrote:
I have absolutely NO idea about how to go about this feature. I could use some guides and links. I understand when you get the materials, you are to haul them off and sell them right? How does one refine these materials? What skills do I need?

1. Google
2. YouTube
3. Quit being lazy
Phugoid
Absolute Order XL
Absolute Honor
#5 - 2012-06-28 14:23:23 UTC
I tried PI for awhile, it's a steady income, but not alot for sure. At least on one lil planet, and atm it's offline. it's just another thing to do in eve.

anywaz, check out youtube, theres a good vid on how to get started on it, tho im sure it's a bit out-dated by now, but at least it'll get you going.

Flugzeugführer

Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#6 - 2012-06-28 14:56:55 UTC
My experience of PI so far:

(1) Watch YouTube video
(2) Go and buy some command centres
(3) Go to a planet
(4) Put a command centre on a planet
(5) Make spaghetti bolognaisish of extractors, silos, links and routes
(6) Wonder wtf is going on and having not a single clue
(7) Destroy the command centre
(8) Warp away

Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#7 - 2012-06-28 20:55:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Bugsy VanHalen
I highly recommend planetology 4 and advanced planetology to at least 3.
These skills determine how close your survey and extraction estimates are to what you actually get after installing the program.

Lots of player complain about the discrepancy between the survey and what they actually get after installing the program, but nobody bothers to train the skill that mitigates this. the skill exists for a reason, the players making good isk off PI are generally the ones who take the time to skill it up.

Edit:
To the OP. PI is quite easy once you get into it but it can cost alot to setup. youtube tutorials helped me a lot.
I can't find the lick but there are some good tutorial guides out there.to much to explain everything in a forum post.
Sarmea Moon
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-06-29 01:36:05 UTC
Eve Uni wiki has links to all the videos, and describes it well.

EvE Uni Wiki Linky

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse [lady of commercial virtue]. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.- James Nicoll

Malcom Vincent
Generic Alt Corporation 421
#9 - 2012-06-30 16:46:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcom Vincent
Even though some planets can host a full line of tier 3 products does not mean its profitable.

Planetary Interaction Market Report June 2012

Upstarting Blogger: Ormehullet Guides and more is coming

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#10 - 2012-06-30 19:06:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Skorpynekomimi
#11 - 2012-06-30 19:58:03 UTC
ISK: The Guide.

Google it. Download it. Read it.
You can thank me later.

Economic PVP

Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#12 - 2012-07-03 02:58:41 UTC
Katja Faith wrote:
Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

1. Google
2. YouTube
3. Quit being lazy

God forbid a discussion on the matter. P

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].