These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Long Range Arbitrator

Author
Saer Aeternus
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-07-02 11:58:02 UTC
I was looking at all of the Drone modifications the other day after getting primaried in my Arbitrator.

I was wondering what you guys thought of a LR Arbitrator? Purely using it as a drone platform from a safe distance to keep out of trouble. I have great drone skills and was wondering if it's worth trying.

H
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II
Medium Energy Neutralizer II

M
10mn MWD I
Tracking Computer II
Drone Navigation Computer II
Drone Navigation Computer II

L
Drone Amplifier II
Drone Amplifier II
800m Rolled Thungsten Plate
Damage Control II

This is just a rough example. What do you think? Could you refine the build?

Saer
StoneCold
Decadence.
RAZOR Alliance
#2 - 2012-07-02 12:09:55 UTC
I´m not a theory-crafter nor did I use an arbitrator like you posted.

I´d preffer a shield buffer instead of armor when it comes to kiting (if I understood correct that´s what you want to do).

M
- tracking computer, - drone navigation computers
+ LSE, + resistance mods.

L
- 800mm plate
+ nanofibre OR overdrive OR another drone amplifier

Don´t forget the rigs. Medium t1 resistance rigs should be resonable cheap.
Lili Lu
#3 - 2012-07-02 23:19:33 UTC
I was going to rip into your fit. Then I saw you were about a half month old and decided to be constructive. Smile

The drone links are fine. With scout drone operation 5 and training levels in electronic warfare drone interfacing you will be able to send drones out about 90 km or more. Since even the fast, light drones, will move about 4-6km/sec depending on type and skills you would not really want to send medium drones. And don't expect to always get those drones back, as you might be forced to warp before they take the 20 or so seconds to return.

One neut is all you need. The ship gets no bonus for neuting, unlike it's tech II counterparts. One medium neut can be used as defense against tackle. But if you want 2 and can fit it fine, just realize you will not be able to run them for more than a couple cycles.

The tracking computer in your mids is for guns. It is not the mod that helps drones. What you appear to want is maybe the Omnidirectional Tracking Unit. This mod is really more useful for sentry drones. Now with 2 drone nav your drones will move faster but it might disrupt your drones tracking on a target as they first decelerate from mwd into orbit. My suggestion is that you get a corpie and run some experiments (best to do it on the test server). Regardless try just one drone nav as it frees up one of your mids for a necessary mod I will list later.

It is either the omni you are trying to fit or you put in tracking computer instead of a tracking disruptor which the arby gets a pidly 5%/level bonus for (unlike 20-30% bonuses for ecm boats Roll). This is fine as it is using the ship bonus for what it's worth.

With a free mid from dropping one of the drone nav's put in a sensor booster and range script. This will allow you to lock out much farther. Then you can apply the td with a range disruption script and it should force enemy gunboat to move closer or warp out if it wants to reach your gang.

I would drop one of the drone damage amps and put in an adaptive membrane or plating. Also, medium rigs are not that expensive. You might want a med semiconductor for a larger cap reservoir or a drone rig of some kind if you can afford the cpu hit, or an armor rig.

Lastly, if you use this for skirmishing gang work, you will probably do better to shield tank it. In which case your mids would look like mwd, td, LSE, invuln. Then you would fit a drone speed augmentor rig and maybe an anti-em screen along with the semiconductor. Your lows could have the drone damage amp, dc, signal amp (for lock range) and a nanofiber for speed and agility, or maybe a co-pro if you need more cpu. The arby is like a phoon in that there are so many ways you can fit it. Using it as a long range ewar boat is perfectly fine. Have fun. Smile
Denuo Secus
#4 - 2012-07-03 00:21:43 UTC
Problem I had with drones at range (was flying a kiting Vexor): if my opponent cannot reach me, he just attacks my drones. That's a major issue I had with drones beyond brawling range. At least solo or very small gang. As soon as your gang size grows your drones are a bit more safe. At least that's my experience from med size fleet fights with ~20 ships on our side where I flew the same Vexor and the same tactic.
Constable Chang
#5 - 2012-07-03 01:10:21 UTC
Denuo Secus wrote:
Problem I had with drones at range (was flying a kiting Vexor): if my opponent cannot reach me, he just attacks my drones. That's a major issue I had with drones beyond brawling range. At least solo or very small gang. As soon as your gang size grows your drones are a bit more safe. At least that's my experience from med size fleet fights with ~20 ships on our side where I flew the same Vexor and the same tactic.

I would imagine that a tracking disruptor would play havoc with an opponents ability to take out ones drones?
Saer Aeternus
Doomheim
#6 - 2012-07-03 19:48:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Saer Aeternus
Thanks for the posts. I've been playing with this ship a lot more. I can comfortably sit at a range of up to 100k and just send my drones out. In large scale fleets noone ever notices them. I'm also built to witstand sniper damage and deal with any tacklers that are burning toward me. What do you think? I'm not sure about the rigs, I'm thinking I could do more with them.

H
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II
Small Energy Neutralizer II

M
10MN Afterburner II
Sensor Booster II - Targetting Range Script
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
Drone Navigation II

L
800mm Reinforced Rolled Thungsten
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Damage Control II

Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#7 - 2012-07-03 19:59:51 UTC
you don't need an omni link for scout drones. Swap it for a tracking disruptor.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

chris elliot
Seal Club Six
Plug N Play
#8 - 2012-07-03 20:09:19 UTC
If your goal is to kite you may be better served switching the afterburner for a microwarp drive and pulsing it to manage your capacitor.

I say this because you will be rather easy to run down if you just rely on the afterburner. Almost anything with a disruptor can sit outside your neut range and still keep you pointed, while being fast enough to ensure you don't get away. If they are especially quick (think speed tanked frigates), they will drag your drones all over the place without taking all that much damage from them.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#9 - 2012-07-04 10:18:00 UTC
Lili Lu wrote:
I was going to rip into your fit. Then I saw you were about a half month old and decided to be constructive. Smile

The drone links are fine. With scout drone operation 5 and training levels in electronic warfare drone interfacing you will be able to send drones out about 90 km or more. Since even the fast, light drones, will move about 4-6km/sec depending on type and skills you would not really want to send medium drones. And don't expect to always get those drones back, as you might be forced to warp before they take the 20 or so seconds to return.

One neut is all you need. The ship gets no bonus for neuting, unlike it's tech II counterparts. One medium neut can be used as defense against tackle. But if you want 2 and can fit it fine, just realize you will not be able to run them for more than a couple cycles.

The tracking computer in your mids is for guns. It is not the mod that helps drones. What you appear to want is maybe the Omnidirectional Tracking Unit. This mod is really more useful for sentry drones. Now with 2 drone nav your drones will move faster but it might disrupt your drones tracking on a target as they first decelerate from mwd into orbit. My suggestion is that you get a corpie and run some experiments (best to do it on the test server). Regardless try just one drone nav as it frees up one of your mids for a necessary mod I will list later.

It is either the omni you are trying to fit or you put in tracking computer instead of a tracking disruptor which the arby gets a pidly 5%/level bonus for (unlike 20-30% bonuses for ecm boats Roll). This is fine as it is using the ship bonus for what it's worth.

With a free mid from dropping one of the drone nav's put in a sensor booster and range script. This will allow you to lock out much farther. Then you can apply the td with a range disruption script and it should force enemy gunboat to move closer or warp out if it wants to reach your gang.

I would drop one of the drone damage amps and put in an adaptive membrane or plating. Also, medium rigs are not that expensive. You might want a med semiconductor for a larger cap reservoir or a drone rig of some kind if you can afford the cpu hit, or an armor rig.

Lastly, if you use this for skirmishing gang work, you will probably do better to shield tank it. In which case your mids would look like mwd, td, LSE, invuln. Then you would fit a drone speed augmentor rig and maybe an anti-em screen along with the semiconductor. Your lows could have the drone damage amp, dc, signal amp (for lock range) and a nanofiber for speed and agility, or maybe a co-pro if you need more cpu. The arby is like a phoon in that there are so many ways you can fit it. Using it as a long range ewar boat is perfectly fine. Have fun. Smile

It's a forum alt. No doubt their main is in RVB and wants to hide their true identity.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#10 - 2012-07-04 10:20:50 UTC
chris elliot wrote:
If your goal is to kite you may be better served switching the afterburner for a microwarp drive and pulsing it to manage your capacitor.

I say this because you will be rather easy to run down if you just rely on the afterburner. Almost anything with a disruptor can sit outside your neut range and still keep you pointed, while being fast enough to ensure you don't get away. If they are especially quick (think speed tanked frigates), they will drag your drones all over the place without taking all that much damage from them.

Warrior II's move about 6.5k/s... even interceptors struggle to hit that sort of speed these days.
chris elliot
Seal Club Six
Plug N Play
#11 - 2012-07-04 11:16:50 UTC
Maeltstome wrote:
chris elliot wrote:

Warrior II's move about 6.5k/s... even interceptors struggle to hit that sort of speed these days.

He did not specify drone types. Blink

But my point about him being able to be run down easily remains the same. Best case he is still moving sub 500 m/s, which for a ship intending to kite is not good.

If he ditches the small neut all together and uses a meta 4 sensor booster and enam he can keep everything else about his fit the same by popping in the experimental micro. Which brings his speed up to around +-1100. Which is much better for kiting than sub 500.

You could argue against the meta 4 invuln or even argue for faction, but if he is kiting and he gets caught he is ****** anyway.
Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#12 - 2012-07-04 12:11:27 UTC
Maeltstome wrote:
It's a forum alt. No doubt their main is in RVB and wants to hide their true identity.

Doubtful. If they were in RvB, they would have access to corp fits... or just ask in our channels.
Ruah Piskonit
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#13 - 2012-07-05 02:14:48 UTC
use hobgoblins, not warriors

and this fit has been experimented with in depth and is not really that great.

1) drone travel time
2) damage for the wait
3) does not take advantage of the great TD bonus (not really at that range)

basically, get a domi and fit sentry drones if this is what you want - it is seriously underwhelming in an arbi.