These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Captain of Prometheus

Author
gulftobay
Mesotopia
#41 - 2012-07-01 02:06:28 UTC
I respectfully disagree:

Definition of AD HOMINEM

1: appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect

2: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

source: Merriam-Webster dictionary

He's not addressing the current contention that it was an unnecessary and personal attack on the OP's question.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#42 - 2012-07-01 02:07:40 UTC
Virgil Travis wrote:
Karadion Kohlar wrote:
Virgil Travis wrote:
Karadion Kohlar wrote:

Wind your neck in, you're hilariously ill equipped for a battle of wits.

If you watch the old Alien movies you do see the Weyland logo from time to time, I was watching the third one the other night and it appeared in that for a few moments. It is quite similar, especially in that shot.

Do you even know what the old Weyland logo was? I'm going to take a guess and say no, you didn't see them. Why? Because it was non-existent in the movie due to the fact it was actually called Weyland-Yutani.

I bet your fun at parties too, when's you're release date?

Switch the underlined words around.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Karadion Kohlar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#43 - 2012-07-01 03:50:57 UTC
gulftobay wrote:
I respectfully disagree:

Definition of AD HOMINEM

2: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

He's not addressing the current contention that it was an unnecessary and personal attack on the OP's question.

Did you even read the thread? I'm going to say, no you didn't bother to read the thread. Go back to lecturing us how smart you are about "AD HOMINEM". Oh look, I made one just now! Shut up, pubbie.
Pipa Porto
#44 - 2012-07-01 04:06:20 UTC
gulftobay wrote:
I respectfully disagree:

Definition of AD HOMINEM

Dictionary definitions of complex issues are usually simplified to the point of being wrong.

"An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it."

If I say "Grass is Green" and someone responds "You're an Idiot" then that is not an argumentum ad hominem, because it makes no attempt to negate the truth of the claim. It is instead a Non Sequitor, or Vulgar Abuse, depending on how it's worded. Basically, it's not an ad Hominem argument because it's not an argument.

If I say "Grass is Green" and someone responds "The grass you're standing on is brown, thus you are an idiot" then that is not an argumentum ad hominem, because it does not attempt to negate the truth of the claim by attacking a characteristic of the claimant. Basically, it's not an ad Hominem argument because the attack is not in the service of the argument.

If I say "Grass is Green" and someone responds "You're wrong because you're an idiot" then that is an argumentum ad hominem, because it attempts to negate the truth of the claim by asserting a negative characteristic on the claimant. It is an ad Hominem argument because the attack is being used to service the arguement.

Basically, Merriam-Webster's definitions are terrible, thus they're a bunch of idiots.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Utremi Fasolasi
La Dolce Vita
#45 - 2012-07-01 05:27:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Utremi Fasolasi
Weyland Corp is too Caldari for my taste.

I'll always prefer the more Gallente aesthetic of Yamtaijika Inc, brought to us by another awesome Icelandic phenomenon.

Drone love is best love.
gulftobay
Mesotopia
#46 - 2012-07-01 05:31:24 UTC
Fair enough, please supply your defintion of ad hominem with some reference - hell, I'll even take urban dictionary.

Thor Kerrigan
Guardians of Asceticism
#47 - 2012-07-01 07:01:11 UTC
I'm willing to bet the OP knew it all along it was a Weyland logo.

And I might support the goons highsec campain, but it only takes one "Karadion Kohlar" to remind me why I would never join their overhyped social fanclub.
Pipa Porto
#48 - 2012-07-01 07:20:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
gulftobay wrote:
Fair enough, please supply your defintion of ad hominem with some reference - hell, I'll even take urban dictionary.

Put it in Google*, you'll get the Wikipedia entry for it which actually includes a segment on why "You're stupid" isn't an ad hominem argument.

*There's this thing, where you can google quoted language and find where it came from. It's great for catching plagiarism.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#49 - 2012-07-01 11:04:24 UTC
Karadion Kohlar wrote:
Virgil Travis wrote:
I bet your fun at parties too, when's you're release date?

"your". And I have no idea what you are talking about. Stop posting.

That was a genuine grammatical error, I was tired and laughing at your pathetic attempts to be mature, especially calling me 'son'

I won't stop posting cos some numbnuts like you tells me to that's for sure. Just cos you're in Goons doesn't mean you're special, just means you're in Goons. Now quieten down while the adults are talking kid.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Danfen Fenix
#50 - 2012-07-01 11:17:30 UTC
ITT: A goon who failed at being funny and is now throwing a hissy fit for being called out for it

In truth, at a glance the logos do look similar. An easy mistake to make Smile
TheBreadMuncher
Protus Correction Facility Inc.
#51 - 2012-07-01 13:21:41 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Technically Tech moons don't print isk, since the stuff is sold on the market to players, not NPCs.

On the other hand, it gives them a ridiculous source of ISK. Yes, I know the difference between isk movement and isk printers, but "cash mashine" sounds so much better than "escrow transfer".

"We will create the introduction thread if that is requested by the community. Also, we will have an ISD Seminar about the CCL team in the coming weeks in which you can ask your questions about the CCL team and provide some constructive feedback to us." - Countless pages of locked threads and numerous permabanned accounts later, change is coming.

Rats
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2012-07-01 14:00:37 UTC
Thought was the same too, anyway like most things EVE, it can mean what you want it to Lol

Tal

I Fought the Law, and the Law Won... Talon Silverhawk

Natsett Amuinn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#53 - 2012-07-01 15:55:46 UTC
Cloned S0ul wrote:
This therad show me how meny phatetic and dumb people are part of eve community, i dont talk about OP i talk about all those heaters who blame OP for mistake. shame, get a life ...

Oh wait a goon ;D

Not so sure you call anyone dumb, considering the "meny" errors in your post.

Wtf is a therad?

******* heaters suck.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#54 - 2012-07-02 00:10:59 UTC  |  Edited by: rodyas
Wow great catch of an EVE promo in a movie. Did you catch that one in the new Amazing Spidier-Man? Where the crook who gets shot in the balls by spider man is CCP paying money to show how the EVE forums work.

Or maybe the hidden promo in the Matrix Reloaded, which is the sex scene between Neo and Trinity. That is CCP paying money to show what sleeping with CCP Soundwave would feel and look like.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

DarkAegix
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-07-02 00:32:10 UTC
Karadion Kohlar wrote:
Look guys! I can shove my head up my rear end even further! Smells good!

You could either keep digging that hole you're already in deeper, or take tips from a professional poster. Here are some options I recommend. You only need to pick one:
-Stop posting
-Apologise
-Agree with everyone
-Act like a good little Goon and begin post exceedingly stupid things. Then, claim you were trolling us this entire time

Don't worry, it's not too late to save some face.
Zeomebuch Nova
Undrinkable Grog Inc.
#56 - 2012-07-02 02:08:26 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:

Technically Tech moons don't print isk, since the stuff is sold on the market to players, not NPCs.

Endless resources controlled by few, which are needed to win wars, battles and fights, all concentrated in the northern area. It's technically a passive isk print machine. You just have to perform a little conversion to put it clear. isk -> power -> isk.
Mfume Apocal
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2012-07-02 03:48:41 UTC
Zeomebuch Nova wrote:
Endless resources controlled by few, which are needed to win wars, battles and fights, all concentrated in the northern area. It's technically a passive isk print machine. You just have to perform a little conversion to put it clear. isk -> power -> isk.

as much as this thread doesn't need it:

isk is only "printed" when it comes from nowhere. you could say moongoo printing and be fine, but the isk is coming out of your wallet. it's not just miraculously harvested from the moons surface into a silo.
Karadion Kohlar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#58 - 2012-07-02 04:13:32 UTC
Danfen Fenix wrote:
ITT: A goon who failed at being funny and is now throwing a hissy fit for being called out for it

In truth, at a glance the logos do look similar. An easy mistake to make Smile

The OP is an idiot.
Karadion Kohlar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#59 - 2012-07-02 04:15:11 UTC
DarkAegix wrote:
Karadion Kohlar wrote:
Look guys! I can shove my head up my rear end even further! Smells good!

You could either keep digging that hole you're already in deeper, or take tips from a professional poster. Here are some options I recommend. You only need to pick one:
-Stop posting
-Apologise
-Agree with everyone
-Act like a good little Goon and begin post exceedingly stupid things. Then, claim you were trolling us this entire time

Don't worry, it's not too late to save some face.

You assume I was digging a hole? Just because I point out the OP is an idiot doesn't mean I'm digging a hole. The fact that you you interpreted it that way doesn't make it so.

You only need to pick one:
-Stop posting
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#60 - 2012-07-02 04:49:54 UTC
Zeomebuch Nova wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:

It's far from passive & anyone that claims it is clearly has never had to looks after dozens of towers at once.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.