These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Musings from Amarr

Author
Tamiroth
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#1 - 2012-06-28 21:09:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Tamiroth
28:VI:CXIV A.Y.

Once Were Warriors

I stand on the land of my ancestors. The wind blows across the endless steppe, the waist-high grass covers the burial mounds many thousand years old. The bright star shines in the golden sky. When I was born, my father gave me the name of that star, the evening star of Athra. He served His Majesty and died honorably, protecting us from the barbarians, the cultists and the insane.

The menhirs of the ancient warriors sleep in the soft golden light of the sunset. Once my people rode across the plains, fierce and bloodthirsty. The names of our Khans, the Lords of War, made the world tremble with fear. We pillaged and razed the cities of civilized nations, toppling the spires of gold. We massacred peasant and prince alike, leaving no survivor taller than a wagon wheel.

And yet we were subdued with a word. From a book written by outlanders.

Why?

Some might say that the alliance between Amarr and Khanid was a product of realpolitik, made of pure pragmatism, that allowed the newborn Empire - now with the best warriors on the planet at its disposal - to gain foothold on the mainland and, eventually, to crush the Udorian states.

But the wise understand that the ever-bubbling cauldron of deceit that is political struggle is also a tool of God. In this cauldron, the wicked defeat themselves, while the pure meet challenges to harden their faith and find a place in Heaven.

In the end of times, would it even matter who conquered what?

But the Faith will matter.

Because the hope and the sense of order and greater meaning to all things, to death, to life, to the entire cosmos, the understanding of higher truth, are as important to man as food and water. Without hope, there is nothing to fight for. Without the immortal soul, there are only brief pleasures of flesh and, very soon, inescapable death. Without the Maker, there is only Chaos.

Without Faith, there is no Man, there is only Beast.

Subdued? No.

We just were animals no more.
Istvaan Shogaatsu
Guiding Hand Social Club
#2 - 2012-06-28 21:44:29 UTC
This is one of the most... beautiful things I've read on IGS. I envy you for your faith. I am not capable of such conviction, but it is inspiring to behold.
Targost Avitus
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2012-06-28 23:40:46 UTC
Well said, it is always a good day when I find others of faith from the Kingdom.

Faith and the Almighty be with you
Akai Kvaesir
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
#4 - 2012-06-29 02:17:14 UTC
Death to the Heretic; Life to the Khanid. Faith is the only path.

Frogblast the Vent Core! When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Graelyn
Aeternus Command Academy
#5 - 2012-06-29 04:37:14 UTC
Amen, dear.

Amen.

Cardinal Graelyn

Amarr Loyalist of the Year - YC113

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#6 - 2012-06-29 13:12:17 UTC
A proud race of warriors, reduced from a people of action to a people of words.

What a pity.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#7 - 2012-06-29 13:28:51 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:

What a pity.

Come say that to my face and I shall sternly lecture you about how wrong you are.

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-06-29 13:33:53 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:

What a pity.

I have met many Khanid.

They seem to universally agree that words carry more weight when they are distributed with action. I've not seen many that will hesitate to act when it is clear words will not suffice.

~Malcolm Khross

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#9 - 2012-06-29 13:58:06 UTC
Makkal Hanaya wrote:
Ava Starfire wrote:

What a pity.

Come say that to my face and I shall sternly lecture you about how wrong you are.

When is a good time?

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#10 - 2012-06-29 14:35:16 UTC
Once were warriors then became lapdogs and tools for their Amarrian masters and when your king was required to kill himself he instead grabbed a titan and a big chunk of the navy and fled the scene like a common thief. Yeah, something to be proud of alright.

P.S. If anyone wants to lecture me I'm in Konora at the Kaalakiota station in orbit around Planet VI. Make it interesting though, as I tend to walk out on dull lectures.

P.P.S. You really shouldn't have challenged Ava like that. I hope your clone contract is up to date.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-06-29 16:07:42 UTC
The Ethnic Khanid were among the first to see the proper order of things and have always had an exalted place among the True Amarr.

Anabella Rella wrote:
Once were warriors then became lapdogs and tools for their Amarrian masters and when your king was required to kill himself he instead grabbed a titan and a big chunk of the navy and fled the scene like a common thief. Yeah, something to be proud of alright.

You know some of the broad strokes but not the substance.

Any man who can fend off an Empire 4 times its size for hundreds of years force back multiple Imperial invasions, quash all internal rebellions and plots, demand loyalty and forge a new Kingdom on sheer force of will alone deserves all He has taken.

A 'common thief' would be caught and punished. Khanid II met and defeated a far larger Navy on multiple occasions. The Kingdom still has the most numerous and well-trained ground forces of any Empire, if one of the smaller navies.

Anabella Rella wrote:

P.P.S. You really shouldn't have challenged Ava like that. I hope your clone contract is up to date.

That might be an amusing confrontation between those two. I saw Starfire in space once. To her credit she was quite aggressive and did not flee superior firepower. She lost her ship of course but I do admire her tenacity.

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Kalaratiri
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#12 - 2012-06-29 16:12:10 UTC
Silas Vitalia wrote:

That might be an amusing confrontation between those two. I saw Starfire in space once. To her credit she was quite aggressive and did not flee superior firepower. She lost her ship of course but I do admire her tenacity.

"Of course".

Because, Cynabal versus Fed Navy Comet, right?

She's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire.

This is possibly one of the worst threads in the history of these forums.  - CCP Falcon

I don't remember when last time you said something that wasn't either dumb or absurd. - Diana Kim

Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-06-29 16:18:08 UTC
Kalaratiri wrote:
Silas Vitalia wrote:

"Of course".

Because, Cynabal versus Fed Navy Comet, right?

Yes my highlighted quote seems to cover that. Going against a larger ship takes a certain brand of personality we don't see enough of.

What the hell is it to you, anyway? And IRED seems to be lowering their admissions requirements if I'm reading your Alliance designation correctly. Unfortunate, and more evidence of this rediculous cal-matar nonsense.

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Kalaratiri
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#14 - 2012-06-29 16:33:29 UTC
What it is to me, is a ridiculously egotistical Blooder playing very hard at being superior, relevant and edgy.

As for the 'cal-matar nonsense', well done for knowing absolutely nothing at all about the circumstances you are commenting on.

Getting back on topic, the OP is a beautifully written piece, whether I believe it's subject matter is correct or not.

She's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire.

This is possibly one of the worst threads in the history of these forums.  - CCP Falcon

I don't remember when last time you said something that wasn't either dumb or absurd. - Diana Kim

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#15 - 2012-06-29 16:39:10 UTC
Silas Vitalia wrote:

If memory serves... you also werent alone.

Though you were by the time my ship was destroyed.

The original piece was beautifully worded. I apologize for derailing the thread.

Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-06-29 17:14:17 UTC
Kalaratiri wrote:
What it is to me, is a ridiculously egotistical Blooder playing very hard at being superior, relevant and edgy.

Whose playing?

Kalaratiri wrote:

As for the 'cal-matar nonsense', well done for knowing absolutely nothing at all about the circumstances you are commenting on.

"Circumstances" stop for people outside the organization when they see the alliance ticker under your name. The 'buck stops here' as they say, with regards to the largest CONCORD grouping you belong to. If you were to join PIE you would be treated like any other member, and we could reasonably assume PIE endorses your organization. Savvy?

Kalaratiri wrote:

Getting back on topic, the OP is a beautifully written piece, whether I believe it's subject matter is correct or not.

Indeed, and I will do the same. If you would like to debate corporate/alliance membership and its relevance on how others perceive and judge you start a thread by all means.

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#17 - 2012-06-29 17:27:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Katrina Oniseki
Silas Vitalia wrote:
And IRED seems to be lowering their admissions requirements if I'm reading your Alliance designation correctly. Unfortunate, and more evidence of this rediculous cal-matar nonsense.

The Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive has in fact applied more stringent recruitment policies for all new corporations and members. While I'm sure your personal reservations against Pilot Surionen merely taint your words with unnecessary bias and ignorance, I felt it would be better to inform you of your mistaken assertion.

If however you feel you are indeed correct, you are welcome to challenge the efficacy of our recruitment standards in a trial by combat. Come on down to Syndicate and dance with us. I'm sure Lieutenant Commander Valdezi would be quite eager to meet you in space.

Katrina Oniseki

Aldrith Shutaq
Atash e Sarum Vanguard
#18 - 2012-06-29 17:43:19 UTC
I have witnessed first-hand how strong and noble many of the Khanid people are. I have also learned much from them, and seek to learn still more.

The three faithful nations are made up of many peoples, all with their own experience of the Word of God as brought by the Amarr. Together we make a faith that is more varied, dynamic and robust than many outsiders would recognize. Together it is also our responsibility to turn our faith into a force of good and beauty. I'd say this musing is a wonderful example of that.

Now, could the rest of you leave the politics out of this?

Aldrith Ter'neth Shutaq Newelle

Fleet Captain of the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Divine Commodore of the 24th Imperial Crusade

Lord Consort of Lady Mitara Newelle, Champion of House Sarum and Holder of Damnidios Para'nashu

Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#19 - 2012-06-29 18:27:45 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
If however you feel you are indeed correct, you are welcome to challenge the efficacy of our recruitment standards in a trial by combat. Come on down to Syndicate and dance with us. I'm sure Lieutenant Commander Valdezi would be quite eager to meet you in space.

It saddens me to hear this from an organization I thought a friend.

Duly noted, and thank you for the clarity of your statement Ms. Oniseki.

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#20 - 2012-06-30 03:05:17 UTC
Silas Vitalia wrote:
Katrina Oniseki wrote:

It saddens me to hear this from an organization I thought a friend.

Duly noted, and thank you for the clarity of your statement Ms. Oniseki.

There is no malice nor disrespect meant in my words. I say this because take you for a woman of action over words. Thus, I offer you the chance to test our resolve and recruitment standards if you doubt them, rather than 'have words' with you here on the IGS.

Too many people around here claim this or that. I simply offer to show you.

Katrina Oniseki

123Next pageLast page