These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

THE REASON WHY FACTIONAL WARFARE IS UTTER SHI*

Author
Luminus Mallus
Haul Chill And Kill All
#1 - 2012-06-26 14:37:49 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Tyrozan
If you're reading, then hopefully you're not one of those ****wits that believe that factional warfare is A-OK. If you believe fw is ok, get back into your delusional world and stay out of this thread, because you're an *****. Thanks. Spitfire

The issue is simple. I created a new character to try FW out, since I have a very successful carebear character and it has become tedious, I wanted to dwelve in this alternative PVP -EDIT- No trolling - ISD Tyrozan.

Well after trying it out for a few days... -EDIT- No trolling - ISD Tyrozan

Why you say? You very well know, but let me summarize:
1) nothing happens 99.999999% of the time. people are too afraid of losing their ships and stuff, and only move in packs. 99.99% of the time nobody stays to fight.
-EDIT- Profanity filter avoidance.- ISD Tyrozan

2) a new character simply doesn't have the means to fund his factional warfare endeavour. -EDIT- No trolling-ISD Tyrozan
EVERYBODY is a "better pilot" than a new player, so 1 on 1 (LOL WHO AM I KIDDING) he will be losing ships. All other combat situations, see point 3.
Basically, fw for a new player is "carebear or mine till your mouse becomes dust" and then play some missions in fw to get your ship destroyed <=[b] the LP you made until that point, will be just enough to buy you a slightly worse ship and equipment than the ones you had! Excellent!

-EDIT- No trolling - ISD Tyrozan
Basically, if you're outnumbering, the enemy will flee, or the other way around.

2A) introduce 'factional warfare insurance'
basically those who go into factional warfare and lose their ships in a factional warfare system, get a refund THAT COVERS SHIP AND MODULES yeah you read -EDIT- Trolling - ISD Tyrozan
or
2B) introduce 'corporate combat ships'
everybody gets a predetermined 'free' fully fitted combat ship out from different classes that they can pick, based on their rank or something.
[i]-EDIT- Trolling - ISD Tyrozan
FireT
Venom Pointe Industries
#2 - 2012-06-26 15:07:35 UTC
Eve mentality: If you do not like something in Eve, don't do it.

It is a sandbox.

You do not building sand castles? Go build sand Eiffel towers and find another FW group.
Colonel Xaven
Perkone
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-06-26 15:20:07 UTC
I once tried jogging.
I didn't like it because I had no fitness.

I went to the Adidas store (where I got my equipment from) but they couldnt change the mechanics of jogging.

*sad pandaface*

www.facebook.com/RazorAlliance

FireT
Venom Pointe Industries
#4 - 2012-06-26 15:32:08 UTC
Colonel Xaven wrote:
I once tried jogging.

I went to the Adidas store (where I got my equipment from) but they couldnt change the mechanics of jogging.

*sad pandaface*

I feel for your suffering. Why could they not make gravity less gravitimetric to make jogging easier. Adidas failed hard. Sad
Colonel Xaven
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-06-26 15:41:05 UTC
FireT wrote:
Colonel Xaven wrote:
I once tried jogging.

*sad pandaface*

I feel for your suffering. Why could they not make gravity less gravitimetric to make jogging easier. Adidas failed hard. Sad

Indeed! I blame Adidas and burnt all the stuff I got from them...

www.facebook.com/RazorAlliance

joebro1060
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-06-26 15:53:37 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Tyrozan
-EDIT- No gibberish, please - ISD Tyrozan
theSONARnet
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-06-26 15:53:49 UTC
jogging is broken atm, try "sitting" instead, works like a charm with the right gear
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2012-06-26 17:19:46 UTC
Please, tell me again how there is no PVP in eve.

Just because you don't like blobsm doesn't mean they aren't PVP.

Could someone who's actually done some FW come in and rip this guy apart? I'd do it myself, but I lack FW experiance.
Annasys
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-06-26 17:45:30 UTC
I laughed at the OP because it's pretty funny.

Danika Princip wrote:

Could someone who's actually done some FW come in and rip this guy apart? I'd do it myself, but I lack FW experiance.

I've done some FW, and he's pretty much right. The fights are either 4:1 odds or a seriously OP ship vs whatever it is you are flying. If you can even find a fight, since most of the time the enemy factions literally just hide out until you go away.

As to his fixes, I don't think they will have any impact on the game as a whole. They are even open to exploiting the system for fast gain, and with recent events, I highly doubt CCP is going to attempt to put something in the game with FW that could lead to another incident with the Faction Five.

This space available

100m per week, 300m per month. Minimum 1 week. Terms and conditions apply. See official rules and regulations for details. This product and/or service is not endorsed by CCP Games, its employees or its affiliates.

Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#10 - 2012-06-26 18:42:34 UTC
I lolled.

Disclaimer: 0 phucks were given in the reading of this OP

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#11 - 2012-06-26 18:44:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Asuka Solo
Annasys wrote:

Danika Princip wrote:

I've done some FW, and he's pretty much right. The fights are either 4:1 odds or a seriously OP ship vs whatever it is you are flying. If you can even find a fight, since most of the time the enemy factions literally just hide out until you go away.

As to his fixes, I don't think they will have any impact on the game as a whole. They are even open to exploiting the system for fast gain, and with recent events, I highly doubt CCP is going to attempt to put something in the game with FW that could lead to another incident with the Faction Five.

I lolled some more.

FYI. This is Eve. If you find yourself in a fair fight... your doing it WRONG!

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Annasys
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-06-26 23:23:23 UTC
Asuka Solo wrote:
Annasys wrote:

Danika Princip wrote:

I lolled some more.

FYI. This is Eve. If you find yourself in a fair fight... your doing it WRONG!

I lolled when I read that you think I care about a fair fight. I always roll with 40 dudes. It's the best way to roll.

This space available

100m per week, 300m per month. Minimum 1 week. Terms and conditions apply. See official rules and regulations for details. This product and/or service is not endorsed by CCP Games, its employees or its affiliates.

Feligast
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-06-26 23:31:12 UTC
Luminus Mallus wrote:
If you're reading, then hopefully you're not one of those ****wits that believe that factional warfare is A-OK. If you believe fw is ok, get back into your delusional world and stay out of this thread, because you're an idiot. Thanks.

Reported for trolling.
McOboe
Viscosity
#14 - 2012-06-27 01:44:29 UTC
FW does indeed involve PvP, but the key premise behind FW is to claim and hold terrain. It's just like a "capture and hold" type of game that you see in first-person shooters like Tribes: Ascension. The difference is that there are dozens of "capture and hold" systems. This means that folks can spread out and capture outposts by themselves. This fight for terrain is indeed a form of PVP. As it is, there's little incentive towards forming up into massive fleets and duking it in a Napoleonic or U.S. Revolutionary War type fight, where ships just form up in groups and shoot each other. Additionally, as a lot of FW players are new, they are frequently capping minor outposts in quick T1 frigates, and not prepared for a 1v1 against an experienced player, who happens to be in a tricked-out faction or T2 ship. Every once in a while, you may be able to catch a player by surprise and score a kill. However, if you want kills more frequently, you can always set up a pirate corp and war-dec small newbie corps (seems like a successful option for some folks). Or, you can join RvB. And those all still leave the option of suicide ganking barges and exhumers in high-sec.

Bottom-line, FW, in regards to PvP, is just fine. It just doesn't meet YOUR definition of PvP.

Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#15 - 2012-06-27 03:53:38 UTC
first mmo I take it op?

Lesson 1 in general about mmo pvp...

People bring friends. ! healer or logi, 1 meatshield, 1 CC/melee dps, 1 ranged dps. this is your cookie cutter pvp package in ANY game.

In say warhammer/wow, meatshiled usually is the buff provider as well. Eve will differentiate from this...its the off grid booster lol.

CC/meleee, pretty much the same across games, eve jsut calls adds tackling, pointing, scramming and webbing

1 ranged dps not an eve thing sadly, mouth breathers rather whine about falcons than bringing 1 ship that can fire at a falcon but is out of range of a falcon jams. Cerberus/caracal....if you ever wondered why they exist here you go.

All games blob/gang up. Its human nature.

And you are doing FW wrong. I can think of 5 trillion reasosns (if not more) why you are doing it wrong lol......Not sure what I mean, ask goonswarm lol.

Sentry 10
Escape Velocity
#16 - 2012-06-27 04:45:49 UTC
The 'blob/OP ship effect' you are complaining about transcends FW; FW isn't broken, what you are experiencing is the essence of EVE gameplay.

Dying and losing your ship carries tremendous weight in EVE, no one wants to lose their hard-earned isk and shiney ships/modules. That's why people blob up. That's why people fight 1v1 in OP ships. It is to give themselves a higher probability of surviving/leaving you wrecked.

TL;DR the fault isn't with FW. It's the nature of EVE for people to avoid losing ships.

DEAL WITH IT
Luminus Mallus
Haul Chill And Kill All
#17 - 2012-06-27 05:18:40 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Tyrozan
Annasys wrote:

Danika Princip wrote:

Not surprisingly, you're just one out of 10, that sees fw and eve's pvp for what it is: a EDIT- Profanity filter evasion - ISD Tyrozan

McOboe
Viscosity
#18 - 2012-06-27 05:30:42 UTC
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present this forum topic as further evidence in support of John Gabriel's "Greater Internet Dickwad Theory".

http://www.inquisitr.com/34223/john-gabriels-greater-internet-dickwad-theory/
Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#19 - 2012-06-27 06:41:23 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Tyrozan
Annasys wrote:

I lolled when I read that you think I care about a fair fight. I always roll with 40 dudes. It's the best way to roll.

You roll with 40 dudes? Doesn't that make you a -EDIT- Profanity filter avoidance - ISD Tyrozan

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#20 - 2012-06-27 07:43:06 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
*grins*
Where to start... where to start...

Luminus Mallus wrote:
If you're reading, then hopefully you're not one of those ****wits that believe that factional warfare is A-OK.

Grreeaaaaaaat... beginning with accusations, assumptions, insults, and no humor. Well... allow me to introduce you to the F&I boards. Those that troll/lurk/post here are generally a cranky bunch and don't take too well to ummm... "people"... such as yourself.

To begin... no one believes that Faction Warfare is "A-OK." There are things that even seasoned FW pilots believe are "not working properly." But you have to put things in perspective. ANY and ALL features or mechanics have their flaws. What keeps any participant in a particular feature/mechanic going is when the interest in a particular activity outweighs the "flaws." In the case of FW... well... we all have our reasons. But that's for another thread.

Luminus Mallus wrote:
I created a new character to try FW out, ..... I wanted to dwelve in this alternative PVP which is f.w. (hoped that it was at least -slightly- better than the actual pile of garbage that's EVE's PVP, by all multiplayer standards, as a matter of fact).

FW is not an "alternative style" of PvP. It merely lifts up some "restrictions" and places new ones upon you. Beyond that, the mechanics for how people fight remain unchanged.

Luminus Mallus wrote:
let me summarize:
1) nothing happens 99.999999% of the time. people are too afraid of losing their ships and stuff, and only move in packs. 99.99% of the time nobody stays to fight.

Because it's human nature to be skittish... especially when losing means you suffer economically. It's also human nature to band together with others possessing the same common interest... to enhance each others' overall strength and odds of success.

As for staying... if you're losing... and losing hurts... why would you stay and die?

Luminus Mallus wrote:
It's not PVP. FW is "let's hope there's some other guys with me so I can outnumber and gank that poor **cker in -target system name here-".

Define "PvP." Because I see that as a VERY broad term.
If you meant to say "a good fight" then yes... I will concede that it is indeed rare to find such a thing. When it does happen though... mother of god is it epic!
If you meant to say "a fair fight" then all I can do is laugh.... because EVE wasn't designed to be fair. EVE was designed such that you find an advantage or weakness and use it against your opponent before he uses it against you.

Luminus Mallus wrote:
2) a new character simply doesn't have the means to fund his factional warfare endeavour.

Yes and no.

I say "yes" because funding PvP in general is generally an expensive endeavor for anyone, even veterans... especially if a person has a "taste" for expensive gear and/or roles that require the use of specialty ships (*guilty*).

I say "no" because a newbie is largely limited to T1 ships and equipment... and the roles they can perform (which are not to be underestimated). More than that... a newbie that attaches him or herself to a veteran (or a "good" corp) will usually find themselves gaining ISK that will more than cover the losses he/she will incur after insurance is factored in (this can be done through "corp insurance programs" or by doing missions collectively).
12Next page