These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Go ahead CCP, listen to the people in the "make null virbant again" thread

First post
Author
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#281 - 2012-06-22 12:02:32 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
dontbanmebro wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Incorrect. Nerfing high sec space will NOT encourage people to move, ever. As was pointed out earlier this would be a spectacularly bad business strategy. I understand that you do not like high sec, and feel that you are somehow entitled to control the game play of others by transitioning them through high, to low, to null, but that will not happen.

True high sec dwellers will no more go to null sec, than a true null sec dweller would ever move to high sec. No-one is expecting null seccers to move, so why should it be expected of people living in high sec? Does them being there really disturb your calm THAT much?

It`s already been explained that true hisec players are absolutely irrelevant. What CCP is concerned with now is hisec as a trap for new players, and a big part of that trap is incredibly lowrisk isk-faucets in hisec. The people who would never leave hisec under any conditions will continue to join the game, grind in ships to get better grinding ships, and then eventually quit. Their Eve lifecycle is utterly meaningless in anything you do.

What will change is those people who would venture out and try new things if they were faced iwth a situation where they couldn`t get the stuff they wanted fast enough doing the sologrind in hisec. These people will then venture out, and some of them will stay in the more compelling parts of the game, thereby contributing to a more interesting and dynamic game, which finally brings in more people and retains them in compelling game areas at a higher rate.

Again, this isn`t a matter of debate. I`m explaining to people what is happening, while also enjoying their impotent rage at their continued loss of easy spacebux.

Again, you are wrong. The only people who will ever leave high sec are those that WANT to. It will not make a single iota of difference if you nerf high sec to try and force people out. What you fail to understand is that you cannot change the mentality of the incoming players, all you can ever hope to do is attract more of the kind who will WANT to go to null sec.

Hope that clears things up for you.

EDIT: Also, who are you to decide what is compelling for every possible player that might decide to come to EVE?

That's not true. You can motivate some players to change. I was one of those who changed his game after the first loot nerfs a couple of years ago. I was a hisec ninja looter and quite successful at it. It got me to move to w-space +2 years ago. But that was only after I'd been in the game long enough to be knowledgeable of and had dabbled with w-space as well as lo and null.

The danger here is making hisec a blah experience impressing upon newer players that the rest of the game is also blah and thereby encouraging them to leave the game rather than experience the game. Nerfing hisec into poverty isn't going to benefit the game. The risk vs reward argument is old and in my opinion incorrect. We're ultimately talking about content versus content.

So perhaps what hisec and more dangerous parts of space really need is a greater division of toys? The toys, afterall, are the drivers of the game since they're the tools used to construct content in this sandbox.

Don't ban me, bro!

Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#282 - 2012-06-22 12:06:54 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Again, you are wrong. The only people who will ever leave high sec are those that WANT to. It will not make a single iota of difference if you nerf high sec to try and force people out. What you fail to understand is that you cannot change the mentality of the incoming players, all you can ever hope to do is attract more of the kind who will WANT to go to null sec.

Hope that clears things up for you.

EDIT: Also, who are you to decide what is compelling for every possible player that might decide to come to EVE?

I think if you can use game mechanics to convince null sec players to PvE in high sec despite hating it, you can convince them to stop PvEing in high sec quite easily.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#283 - 2012-06-22 12:10:50 UTC
I agree with the OP. CCP should listen to a spirited brainstorming and feedback thread.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

pussnheels
Viziam
#284 - 2012-06-22 12:31:08 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
pussnheels wrote:
Some of you null sec zealots seem to forget that the whole problem is partly the fault of their own alliances and their somtime complete hypocrit views on the game

So it's our own fault L4s are too profitable, so a majority of nullsec denizens have a L4 alt?

I see.

pussnheels wrote:
A majority of those alliances. Don t even consider any other form of industry beyond their moongoo because it takes effort and dedication by example

I'm sure it's not a case of the players deciding that their time is better spent running L4s, then purchasing stuff in Jita and having it hauled out, than run sanctums and lose/replace ships, and end up with less isk at the end of the month as a result.

No sirree.
pussnheels wrote:
And they treat anybody who is a outsider as another possible killboardtrophee

If you negotiate blue standings with someone, they won't shoot you. If you don't, you're most likely hostile.

You know, this is a PVP game, right?

We had this discusion before ,while i respect your opinion i have a complete different view
Industry in this game is a essential part of this game and competition from all the way down , mining till transporting and selling you products can be just as nasty and cutthroat like blowing up ships, so in my opinion industry is just another form of pvp
If you can not see this i suggest yoy go and play a arcade game
My problem with null sec is that it is stagnant because like i said before any change that even remotely has the chance oftearing down that pretty carevearish safe sandcastle is outright rejected by yhe nullsec alliances so nothing ever happens
So next time you start whinning about highsec carebears , look in the mirror first

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#285 - 2012-06-22 12:33:28 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
So why wouldn't making nullsec comparatively much better than hisec (in comparison to risk/reward) make the people I just spoke of take the plunge, or f.ex me take my current hisec L4 runner back into nullsec?

You didn't read my post, did you? Very few people give a flying flip about risk vs reward. They just want to be safe. This is why, in today's current economic climate, very few people will go up to their boss and say "I need a promotion. Give me it or I leave the company". Because, no matter how important you are, somebody just as good will take that job, and so the risk isn't worth it. They want to keep their L4 ravens in one piece - so, they won't risk them in null or low.

Dodixie > Hek

Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#286 - 2012-06-22 13:58:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Cutter Isaacson
Ok just for the sake of further clarification, and in response to some of you who have told me I am wrong about high sec dwellers, I am not wrong. Yes, there are indeed people who can and do change their minds about moving to low or null security space but that is only because they were already inclined to do so.

I would suggest that the majority of high sec dwellers live there because that is where they feel most comfortable, and no amount of nerfing, cajoling or outright hostility will change that fact. A lot of people make the same common mistakes when thinking or talking about high sec dwellers. People seem to be under the impression that high sec dwellers either lack the information needed to convince them to move out of high security space, or that they are too cowardly to do so.

Presumptuous ideas like these are one of the main causes of friction between the different sections of the EVE community. Now I'm not going to sit here and say it is all one sided, as that would be inaccurate, but the majority of posts and threads complaining about this subject appear to come from low or null sec citizens who feel that the area they live in is somehow the "end game" for EVE and that anyone who does not seek to attain this lofty position is somehow flawed.

The only time you really see a large amount of complaints from high sec dwellers, is when they feel that their play styles and choices are being heavily impinged upon by other groups. Now I know people will instantly assume I mean Hulkageddon, Burn Jita and other such events, but for the most part high sec dwellers either aren't affected by them, or find ways around it. What I am talking about is threads like this, where people from outside of that area try to press CCP in to making radical changes to another section of the game, because it does not suit THEIR needs, without once considering WHY high sec dwellers live where they do.

There are really only two effective ways to ensure that those in low and null security space achieve their goal of having increased numbers. Firstly the marketing for EVE could be tweaked to appeal less to those groups who prefer PvE and the illusion of safety, and more to those who naturally seek out confrontation. The second way would be to make low and null security space more appealing, this could be done with changes to game mechanics, the introduction of new content, or maybe even an expansion of existing space.

Unless or until people realise these facts, we are going to be stuck with the situation we have at present, with one group blaming another for something that is quite literally out of their hands.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." Elim Garak.

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#287 - 2012-06-22 14:07:48 UTC
Obviously the only solution is to make highsec less safe.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#288 - 2012-06-22 14:11:27 UTC
ElQuirko wrote:
You didn't read my post, did you? Very few people give a flying flip about risk vs reward. They just want to be safe. This is why, in today's current economic climate, very few people will go up to their boss and say "I need a promotion. Give me it or I leave the company". Because, no matter how important you are, somebody just as good will take that job, and so the risk isn't worth it. They want to keep their L4 ravens in one piece - so, they won't risk them in null or low.

If the only way to make 40m+/hour was in nullsec or lowsec, then yes, some would go there to make isk instead of continuing to milk the L4s. I, for one, would probably do so, even though it would take more effort and risk

Talon SilverHawk wrote:
[i]Bad word, fixed it for you!Tal

I'm not making that into a bad word, you are. You're assigning connotations and meaning behind the word which isn't there.

Talon SilverHawk wrote:
I don't get your point you have already been told LVL4s are not that profitable, and how they have already been nerfed to death, either directly or indirectly.

40m/h reliably, risk-free isn't "nerfed to death".

Talon SilverHawk wrote:
Also had a revelation, you say you have 7 accounts in high. Its all your fault, why dont you and the others in null who have accounts in hi sec move them to nul thus swinging the balance over to 0.0 Lol

Why should I gimp myself when the game mechanics makes it ******** to do so? Do you think I'm some holistic idiot?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#289 - 2012-06-22 14:28:04 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
holistic idiot?

Just quoting this because it made me laugh so hard that milk squirted from my nose Shocked

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." Elim Garak.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#290 - 2012-06-22 14:31:42 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:

Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
No, L4 used to be like that but the latest nerfs have made "normal missioning for the masses" (i.e. not super-min maxed blitzing) down to 40-50M per hour. You can get to like 70M with 2 battleships but then it's 70M / 2 accounts.
You can blitz some missions for more but they are very rare and not in the top played race best basket.

Yes, that's 40-50m/hour which is more or less uninterruptible, unlike outside of hisec where it's pretty easy to interrupt.

It's also more or less uninterruptible in 0.0, where if nobody neut shows up (usually the case except a pair of times per day) you can also reap massively greater rewards (459M for an hi sec CNR BPC vs 925M Machariel BPC). And the CNR BPC costs 100k more LP (20% more) and 100M more ISK (100% more).

In sov nullsec it's so viable that people can grind NPCs in capital ships, which are not exactly known for their insane agility and escapism to ganks.
Bluecollar Tweaker
The Fighting Whities
#291 - 2012-06-22 14:33:27 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
And once the carnage in high sec is over, then you will have the empirical evidence of whether players will simply will quit rather than move out of high sec.

Actually, we're just all hoping that you quit. That or we nominate you the king of butthurt... not sure which.
Doddy
Excidium.
#292 - 2012-06-22 14:36:47 UTC
ElQuirko wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
So why wouldn't making nullsec comparatively much better than hisec (in comparison to risk/reward) make the people I just spoke of take the plunge, or f.ex me take my current hisec L4 runner back into nullsec?

You didn't read my post, did you? Very few people give a flying flip about risk vs reward. They just want to be safe..

If this was the case why would this thread exist? How can you say they don't care when care enough to repond in threads like this. If they just wanted to be safe then making 2 mil an hour would be perfectly acceptable to them. Your argument is so illogical it boggles the mind.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#293 - 2012-06-22 14:37:52 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
It's also more or less uninterruptible in 0.0, where if nobody neut shows up (usually the case except a pair of times per day) you can also reap massively greater rewards (459M for an hi sec CNR BPC vs 925M Machariel BPC). And the CNR BPC costs 100k more LP (20% more) and 100M more ISK (100% more).

"uninterruptible, except for whenever a neut shows up". Roaming gangs aren't as common as I remember them being around when anoms were popular, because there were more targets to shoot, so there were more people running around, spoiling for a fight. Which means, more interruptions.

Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
In sov nullsec it's so viable that people can grind NPCs in capital ships, which are not exactly known for their insane agility and escapism to ganks.

And funnily enough, they get caught pretty often, which means the owner has to spend that time grinding up 1b to just get back to where he was before he got ganked, let alone start profiting again. Meanwhile, the L4 guy is steadily printing isk.

RIP Vile Rat

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#294 - 2012-06-22 14:52:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
Lord Zim wrote:

Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

And funnily enough, they get caught pretty often, which means the owner has to spend that time grinding up 1b to just get back to where he was before he got ganked, let alone start profiting again. Meanwhile, the L4 guy is steadily printing isk.

You just forget to mention the hypocrital truths:

1) Making that 1B back takes much less.

2) PvP ships are reimbursed anyway, so you don't risk losing any ISK for doing the real risky 0.0 activity.
So, you just PvE to make additional cash, not cash desperately needed for PvP like it's usually left to intend.

Getting non PvP ships killed over there is so hard that RMT botters rat there.
Getting non PvP ships killed over there is hard enough that some of our most ridicolous kills were people auto-piloting Hulks full of blueprints. Now let me know where in hi sec you can be so stupid to autopilot an Hulk at all and even more, full of blueprints.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#295 - 2012-06-22 15:05:42 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
1) Making that 1B back takes much less.

"much" is relative, and the whole equation is dependent on how often he's an idiot and gets caught, and how often neuts/reds run through (and how long they stay in) his system. But while he's been catching up to his 1B loss, the L4 guy's been steadily making isk, and the amount of effort is way less than what the nullsec guy is putting in.

Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
2) PvP ships are reimbursed anyway, so you don't risk losing any ISK for doing the real risky 0.0 activity.
So, you just PvE to make additional cash, not cash desperately needed for PvP like it's usually left to intend.

This is true in some alliances, not all. And chances are that the main effect of that is more along the line of "well, I guess I don't need to log in as much to play eve online: a bad game. vOv

RIP Vile Rat

Talon SilverHawk
Patria o Muerte
#296 - 2012-06-22 15:12:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Talon SilverHawk
Lord Zim wrote:
ElQuirko wrote:

If the only way to make 40m+/hour was in nullsec or lowsec, then yes, some would go there to make isk instead of continuing to milk the L4s. I, for one, would probably do so, even though it would take more effort and risk

Talon SilverHawk wrote:
[i]Bad word, fixed it for you!Tal

I'm not making that into a bad word, you are. You're assigning connotations and meaning behind the word which isn't there.

Talon SilverHawk wrote:
I don't get your point you have already been told LVL4s are not that profitable, and how they have already been nerfed to death, either directly or indirectly.

40m/h reliably, risk-free isn't "nerfed to death".

Talon SilverHawk wrote:
Also had a revelation, you say you have 7 accounts in high. Its all your fault, why dont you and the others in null who have accounts in hi sec move them to nul thus swinging the balance over to 0.0 Lol

Why should I gimp myself when the game mechanics makes it ******** to do so? Do you think I'm some holistic idiot?

Bad word thing wasnt me, was in the quoted part ??

I won't answer the last question Blink

Tal
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#297 - 2012-06-22 15:17:43 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

2) PvP ships are reimbursed anyway, so you don't risk losing any ISK for doing the real risky 0.0 activity...

Not all 0.0 alliances are swimming in tech ISK, just FYI.

We get Cynos, Logis, Dictors and Commandships reimbursed, anything else you lose, you pay for it yourself.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#298 - 2012-06-22 16:46:04 UTC
Talon SilverHawk wrote:
I won't answer the last question Blink

Yeah, I know why you don't want to answer that, because to answer that would be to answer the question "why aren't more people ratting in null?"

RIP Vile Rat

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#299 - 2012-06-22 16:46:43 UTC
Bluecollar Tweaker wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
And once the carnage in high sec is over, then you will have the empirical evidence of whether players will simply will quit rather than move out of high sec.

Actually, we're just all hoping that you quit. That or we nominate you the king of butthurt... not sure which.

Hey, insult me/ attack me all you like.( BTW, I won't report you to forum police, because I find the entire concept of censorship abhorrent. )

If CCP continues with current track record of listening to the null sec zealots, and hammers high sec more, then I guess we shall see if I am alone, or not. Pretty sure I am not alone......

As I have stated before, I have enough cash on hand (the vast, vast majority gained while living in null sec) for 3 years of plexes.
I plan on waiting to see if CCP lets Rome burn.
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#300 - 2012-06-22 17:05:08 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

2) PvP ships are reimbursed anyway, so you don't risk losing any ISK for doing the real risky 0.0 activity...

Not all 0.0 alliances are swimming in tech ISK, just FYI.

We get Cynos, Logis, Dictors and Commandships reimbursed, anything else you lose, you pay for it yourself.

This 1000 times over.

This is why people complain when CCp Nerf.

"most" incursion runners were not making 2 billion a day.
"most" faction runners aren't making 2 billion a day.
"most" wormhole people don't make 2 billion a day.
"most" Drake users don't run in 800 man blobs

Most Null sec people don't have trillions a month in tech ISK
But those are the bar CCP use to claim the demand for a nerf.