These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Constellation local insted of System local - what do you think?

Author
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-06-21 16:04:57 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Remove local. If someone is too lazy to d-scan they deserve death

Guess L4s'll get even more work done. The empire factions thanks you for your contribution to this discussion.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Drunk Driver
Doomheim
#42 - 2012-06-21 16:08:16 UTC

No local.

IGNATIUS HOOD
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#43 - 2012-06-21 16:48:30 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
afk cloaking Cool

Here is a thought. Cloaked and you drop off local. Seems stupid IMO to still show up in Local when you're cloaked in system anyway.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."   --H.L. Mencken
Mortimer Civeri
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2012-06-21 16:56:02 UTC
If you remove local, you will have a lot of bored people sitting on heavily bubbled gates in cloaked ships reporting on hostiles entering system. Sounds like fun. Excuse me for loosing any interest in moving out to nullsec on my alt, and switching him to run L4s in highsec, if that was implemented.

It never ceases to amaze me that the only people who are in favor of removing local are small time pirates, and idiotic people who haven't two braincells to figure out why removing local is bad. Spamming D-Scan every two seconds is not an acceptable substitute either for nullsec, it works for W-Space because the population is so low. Well it would work, because the population of both would be about the same very rapidly after it was implemented.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." Calvin

Drachiel
Mercury LLC
#45 - 2012-06-21 18:31:00 UTC
Jack Paladin wrote:
Drachiel wrote:
I like it. It's a good compromise between the "remove local" and "keep local" crowds without having some odd kind of delay. I'd want it to have some accompanying null buff though.

Are you referring to my suggestions or the OP?

OP.
Yabba Addict
Perkone
Caldari State
#46 - 2012-06-21 19:42:37 UTC
I think the problem is that removing local isn't so simple, because d-scan would have to be entirely reworked
Jack Paladin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#47 - 2012-06-22 09:11:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Jack Paladin
Ok, how about this.

Don't remove local, leave it as is.

Instead, introduce a whole new breed of ships which allow their pilot's to remain 'hidden' from local until such time as they type something.

Think of these new ships as a new type of covert ops....

Ofcourse these ships would be additional TIERS of the current classes we have and will require a special passive module to be fitted for the pilot to remain hidden or even have it active

Ideas for the module/ships ... when the module is activated, ship is unable to cloak but remains out of local. Only once deactivated, can the ship cloak but will then show up in local.

Submitted for your critical review.
Alexzandvar Douglass
Motiveless Malignity
Deepwater Hooligans
#48 - 2012-06-22 11:10:55 UTC
I'm a ratting/Ice mining carebear and If they made it so I couldn't tell if a hostile in local I would quit the game.

Think about that though, so would pretty much every other Ice miner causing a black hole in the Fuel market. No Fuel, No capital ship movement, no capital ship movement, no large wars, no large wars, no money made from industry, no money made from industry.

It's like the food web, except with Space Ships.
Jack Paladin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#49 - 2012-06-22 11:14:42 UTC
Alexzandvar Douglass wrote:
I'm a ratting/Ice mining carebear and If they made it so I couldn't tell if a hostile in local I would quit the game.

Think about that though, so would pretty much every other Ice miner causing a black hole in the Fuel market. No Fuel, No capital ship movement, no capital ship movement, no large wars, no large wars, no money made from industry, no money made from industry.

It's like the food web, except with Space Ships.

Good points. I refer back to my previous post about system upgrades.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1511119#post1511119
Dr Shameless
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2012-06-22 11:18:10 UTC
Removing local wouldn't affect me at all. I make money in high sec and hop to null sec only for fleet fights. That is all.

P
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2012-06-22 11:21:25 UTC
Jack Paladin wrote:
Ok, how about this.

Instead, introduce a whole new breed of ships which allow their pilot's to remain 'hidden' from local until such time as they type something.

Ofcourse these ships would be additional TIERS of the current classes we have and will require a special passive module to be fitted for the pilot to remain hidden or even have it active

Ideas for the module/ships ... when the module is activated, ship is unable to cloak but remains out of local. Only once deactivated, can the ship cloak but will then show up in local.

Would they have absolutely no way of fitting a gun or a cyno or anything even remotely offensive?

RIP Vile Rat

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#52 - 2012-06-22 11:25:58 UTC
Here's an idea: Hiding in EVE - Why we cloak

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Vyktor Abyss
Abyss Research
#53 - 2012-06-22 11:50:19 UTC
Local chat can stay, but people should only appear there when they y'know.....chat.

Local channel information should perhaps show a number of pilots in system.
Jack Paladin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#54 - 2012-06-22 11:54:37 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Jack Paladin wrote:
Ok, how about this.

Would they have absolutely no way of fitting a gun or a cyno or anything even remotely offensive?

Those details to be clarified/balanced.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-06-22 11:57:50 UTC
If we're going to have a ship which is 100% covert, i.e. doesn't even show up in local, then the only way to avoid all roaming gangs to be of this shiptype, is to make it so it can't affect anything at all, its role would be purely a recon ship.

RIP Vile Rat

Jack Paladin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#56 - 2012-06-22 12:19:48 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
If we're going to have a ship which is 100% covert, i.e. doesn't even show up in local, then the only way to avoid all roaming gangs to be of this shiptype, is to make it so it can't affect anything at all, its role would be purely a recon ship.

That is most certainly doable ... no problem with such a ship :)
Alexzandvar Douglass
Motiveless Malignity
Deepwater Hooligans
#57 - 2012-06-22 12:23:24 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:

I always thought it would be interesting to have "Covert" types of Mining Barges, say, I half the amount my Mackinaw can mine but It is able to covert cloak.
Gillia Winddancer
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2012-06-22 12:28:22 UTC
I will keep repeating myself:

Removing local + this will be seven steps towards the right direction into solving a multitude of problems AND making the game a lot more intuitive and fun.
Alexzandvar Douglass
Motiveless Malignity
Deepwater Hooligans
#59 - 2012-06-22 12:32:44 UTC
Gillia Winddancer wrote:

Removing local + this will be seven steps towards the right direction into solving a multitude of problems AND making the game a lot more intuitive and fun.

Intuitive? you mean more time consuming and unnecessary complicated.

Remember kids, turning a already working system into a rube gold-burg machine will not make it more fun.
Jack Paladin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#60 - 2012-06-22 13:04:27 UTC
Gillia Winddancer wrote:

Thanks for linking this. A very good read indeed.