These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Ring mining, what is that?

Author
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#1 - 2012-06-21 06:54:47 UTC
There's been some talking about this stuff, but as usual all I can find is opinion and not fact, let alone an explanation of what is ring mining... Sad

Can someone provide sources (links) to learn about ring mining, what it is, what's CCP saying about it and the such?
masternerdguy
Doomheim
#2 - 2012-06-21 06:56:12 UTC
Facts?

In my general discussion?

It's more likely than you think.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2012-06-21 07:03:24 UTC
It's some thing CCP Soundwave's been talking about as a fix to the technetium bottleneck, where instead of running a moon mining POS, 0.0 people just warp to an asteroid belt of moon goo and mine away and thus allow the supply of technetium to increase and meet demand as needed, stabilizing the prices while giving rank and file alliance members access to moon mineral income. A lot of goons aren't very gung-ho on it though since mining is next to impossible to tax and their more luxurious features are dependent on T2 min revenue. I don't care if it's taxed or not because Detorid's moons sucks and I could anchor 2 of Detorid's like 5 R64s for personal use if I wanted to anyway but it's not even worth towering anyway hth lol
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#4 - 2012-06-21 07:06:25 UTC
Here is a link to ring mining section in the fanfest keynote.
Xhaiden Ora
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-06-21 07:14:30 UTC
Its what Sonic the Hedgehog writes on his resume under "Past Employment Experience".
Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#6 - 2012-06-21 07:31:37 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Here is a link to ring mining section in the fanfest keynote.


It also something CCP has been discussing since 2008 or earlier. So whatever it is (since we don't know) it something that they have thought about somewhat. That and comet mining.

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#7 - 2012-06-21 08:40:17 UTC
It's everything you can imagine - and more!!

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-06-21 08:41:10 UTC
I keep reading "rim mining".

Heh heh heh.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Amarr Haircare Products
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-06-21 08:54:00 UTC
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
It's some thing CCP Soundwave's been talking about as a fix to the technetium bottleneck, where instead of running a moon mining POS, 0.0 people just warp to an asteroid belt of moon goo and mine away and thus allow the supply of technetium to increase and meet demand as needed, stabilizing the prices while giving rank and file alliance members access to moon mineral income.


Will(?) this apply to Technetium only or all moon minerals?
Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2012-06-21 08:56:33 UTC
All, I'd assume.
Rashmika Clavain
Revelation Space
#11 - 2012-06-21 09:58:09 UTC
Make it a Grav or Mag site (or whichever spawns rocks, it's been a while) and tie it to Exploration.

High Sec can have some shittier Moon Goo, and it obviously scales with system true sec status.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-06-21 11:13:29 UTC
Rashmika Clavain wrote:
Make it a Grav or Mag site (or whichever spawns rocks, it's been a while) and tie it to Exploration.

High Sec can have some shittier Moon Goo, and it obviously scales with system true sec status.

Yes, let's move even more of what makes low/nullsec different from hisec into hisec, that's sure to make low/null a more attractive place to live.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Patient 2428190
DEGRREE'Fo'FREE Internet Business School
#13 - 2012-06-21 13:47:02 UTC
Its the latest in a long line of bullsh*t that CCP annouces is coming during Fanfest, then promptly forgetting completely about to focus on patting themselves on the back and avoiding work at all costs.

See planetary flight, walking in stations, etc.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Noctis
Shoot First.
#14 - 2012-06-21 14:04:28 UTC
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
A lot of goons aren't very gung-ho on it though since mining is next to impossible to tax and their more luxurious features are dependent on T2 min revenue.l


Why wouldn't it be easy to tax? Just make the ring mining products difficult to refine by requiring specific levels of sov to operate the required facilities. Then anyone can mine, but they'll need access to someone's refinery to get it processed. Alternatively it could be sold to sov holders who could refine it and make a profit.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Morganta
The Greater Goon
Clockwork Pineapple
#15 - 2012-06-21 14:06:18 UTC
moon goo will be harvested by a special ship that costs half a billion and is essentially a paper bag with strip miners
Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-06-21 14:08:01 UTC
You put a ring on whatever finger of yours and take a spoon, then start digging until you get the bone.

brb

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-06-21 14:09:24 UTC
FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
A lot of goons aren't very gung-ho on it though since mining is next to impossible to tax and their more luxurious features are dependent on T2 min revenue.l


Why wouldn't it be easy to tax? Just make the ring mining products difficult to refine by requiring specific levels of sov to operate the required facilities. Then anyone can mine, but they'll need access to someone's refinery to get it processed. Alternatively it could be sold to sov holders who could refine it and make a profit.

Or it could be turned into a PI style thing, with PI-style taxes. vOv

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Cloned S0ul
POCKOCMOC Inc.
#18 - 2012-06-21 14:10:19 UTC
" Ring mining, what is that "

Probably incoming nerf to pasive incomes form moons in 0.0, in future people get abylity to mining rare products like even technetium ;) moon products give to much incomes withaut paying atention to game, big pasive incomes.
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-06-21 15:25:05 UTC
FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
A lot of goons aren't very gung-ho on it though since mining is next to impossible to tax and their more luxurious features are dependent on T2 min revenue.l


Why wouldn't it be easy to tax? Just make the ring mining products difficult to refine by requiring specific levels of sov to operate the required facilities. Then anyone can mine, but they'll need access to someone's refinery to get it processed. Alternatively it could be sold to sov holders who could refine it and make a profit.


Why implement it at all just to break it at the same time. The whole point is to alleviate tech bottleneck.
Simetraz
State War Academy
Caldari State
#20 - 2012-06-21 16:26:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Simetraz
There are no confirmed changes yet, but

Well originally (many many years ago) it was to replace the roid belts in systems.
Then as of last fanfest it was all of a sudden a replacement for moon mining.

Now by the sounds of it that idea was canned in support of updating the POS/Moon Mining system.

Which leaves Ring Mining back in the vaporware or the category of ideas to be implemented someday when time and some unknown value decides it is worth doing and its function has yet to be established.

Sigh....
12Next page