These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Go ahead CCP, listen to the people in the "make null virbant again" thread

First post
Author
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-06-21 08:10:38 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Also, Goons usually do a lot of things right, but not this time.

The concept they apply is to "abuse" of bad / wrong / bugged / abandoned game mechanics till CCP wakes up and changes them. Same for who invented Dec Shield, exactly as a "punch-in-da-face" approach to make CCP fix those ancient clusterfracks. Same for Technetium and much else.

But for 0.0, for some reason, they did not get it. They should "abuse" 0.0 till CCP changes it, not to try "aggress" hi sec.
Making hi sec different or worse won't save 0.0. All you'll get is like moving L5 in low sec: the feature mostly got abandoned and nothing improved over there.

1) Which mechanics?
2) If CCP fixes it, then isn't that a positive thing in the end?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Singoth
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2012-06-21 08:13:32 UTC
make nullsec vibrant again?

K, nullsec needs more vibrators up their butts.
FEEL DA VIBRATIONZ.

Less yappin', more zappin'!

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#43 - 2012-06-21 08:15:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
Lord Zim wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Also, Goons usually do a lot of things right, but not this time.

The concept they apply is to "abuse" of bad / wrong / bugged / abandoned game mechanics till CCP wakes up and changes them. Same for who invented Dec Shield, exactly as a "punch-in-da-face" approach to make CCP fix those ancient clusterfracks. Same for Technetium and much else.

But for 0.0, for some reason, they did not get it. They should "abuse" 0.0 till CCP changes it, not to try "aggress" hi sec.
Making hi sec different or worse won't save 0.0. All you'll get is like moving L5 in low sec: the feature mostly got abandoned and nothing improved over there.

1) Which mechanics?
2) If CCP fixes it, then isn't that a positive thing in the end?

1) I point you to the last years of Goons activity for the improvement of EvE (even if what for them is improvement may have varying degrees of popularity off other players).

2) Depends on "fix". A simplicistic "nerf'em hard", sadly, is not enough. You can't make 2 bads and cause the end result to be good.

Just look at incursions. They were nerfed bad. Not hard, but bad. If they were nerfed well, then people would still do them.

Incursion good points are the social / community aspect + ISK aspect.
Evidently the social / community aspect was not engineered well enough else it'd not crumble so easy as motivator, once the ISK aspect has been nerfed.

Edit: some examples of engineered content: make incursion communities get "badges" of some kind for their outstanding effort defending the empire, make the act of being together weld tigther players relations (i.e. who is in an incursion community gets discounts at certain stations services, gets less fee or temporary standings to the systems they saved...).

A LOT can always be done, if there's good will.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#44 - 2012-06-21 08:22:43 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
1) I point you to the last years of Goons activity for the improvement of EvE (even if what for them is improvement may have varying degrees of popularity off other players).

2) Depends on "fix". A simplicistic "nerf'em hard", sadly, is not enough. You can't make 2 bads and cause the end result to be good.

Just look at incursions. They were nerfed bad. Not hard, but bad. If they were nerfed well, then people would still do them.

Evidently the social / community aspect was not engineered well enough else it'd not crumble so easy as motivator, once the ISK aspect has been nerfed.

When you say that people would still do incursions, you realise a lot of people doing incursions were from null sec, low sec and wormholes right? So surely if your aim is to give those "living" in whs, low sec and null sec incentive to actually start living in their respective regions then a drop in activity was inevitable?

The end result of nerfing incursions was always going to be a drastic drop in the number of people doing them. I used to have most of the major null sec alliances and their holding corps set red, and going through an incursion system made me feel like a Honda Accord member jumping into VFK.

As for fixing high sec by nerfing it into the ground, what is the alternative? You want to buff low, null and WHs? You realise that's essentially the same thing, right?

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#45 - 2012-06-21 08:23:45 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

Edit: some examples of engineered content: make incursion communities get "badges" of some kind for their outstanding effort defending the empire, make the act of being together weld tigther players relations (i.e. who is in an incursion community gets discounts at certain stations services, gets less fee or temporary standings to the systems they saved...).

Most of the players running incursions already had communities. Null sec communities.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2012-06-21 08:24:09 UTC
Actually, I misread you, so I'll try again. You say that we abuse something until CCP fixes it. Nullsec has been in a ****** state for anyone who doesn't want to invade others, and even that became pretty ****** after dominion. So, how do we go about actually abusing that so CCP'll fix it?

We can't really invade somewhere, because then CCP'll just think "ah, they're invading eachother again, the mechanic is working perfectly.". We can't force industry to work out there, because CCP'll just think "ah, they're making stuff out there again, the mechanic is working perfectly.". In fact, all we can do (that I can think of) is to do what we're doing, i.e. ship almost everything in from hisec and creating a huge NAP going from lower fountain to upper tenal. It doesn't seem to be entirely working, must we take the rest of the universe, too?

RIP Vile Rat

Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#47 - 2012-06-21 08:26:00 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Actually, I misread you, so I'll try again. You say that we abuse something until CCP fixes it. Nullsec has been in a ****** state for anyone who doesn't want to invade others, and even that became pretty ****** after dominion. So, how do we go about actually abusing that so CCP'll fix it?

We can't really invade somewhere, because then CCP'll just think "ah, they're invading eachother again, the mechanic is working perfectly.". We can't force industry to work out there, because CCP'll just think "ah, they're making stuff out there again, the mechanic is working perfectly.". In fact, all we can do (that I can think of) is to do what we're doing, i.e. ship almost everything in from hisec and creating a huge NAP going from lower fountain to upper tenal. It doesn't seem to be entirely working, must we take the rest of the universe, too?

I think you should turn the CFC into a high sec level four grinding coalition.

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-06-21 08:35:52 UTC
I think we're there already.

Well, that and heavy deepdicking of markets.

RIP Vile Rat

Xorv
Questionable Acquisitions
#49 - 2012-06-21 08:47:33 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Edit: some examples of engineered content: make incursion communities get "badges" of some kind for their outstanding effort defending the empire[...]

Badges? Seriously? Incursions have never been about defending Empire, there would have to be some actual real threat to everyone in Empire for that to become a reality.
Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#50 - 2012-06-21 08:50:54 UTC
The Honourable Yellow Star of the Defense of Jarshitsan
"Northern Coalition"-grade Ribbon of the Anti-Sansha Forces
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#51 - 2012-06-21 08:52:52 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:

Well, short of announcing both TEST and GS to completely quit the game for X months I don't think anything else would work.

You can pop Hulks and they get buffed. You can pop hi sec freigthers and they'll get boosted or boomerang has been nerfed and you know how it goes.

You have to step down as a player and step up as accountant. CCP WANTS the hi sec subs. Only way to make them feel the pain is to make them aware YOUR subs are not a guarantee either.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#52 - 2012-06-21 08:53:56 UTC
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
The Honourable Yellow Star of the Defense of Jarshitsan
"Northern Coalition"-grade Ribbon of the Anti-Sansha Forces

Believe it or not, those stupid gadgets move people to do stuff. Also see how shiny perks work in RL as well.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#53 - 2012-06-21 08:54:14 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:

Well, short of announcing both TEST and GS to completely quit the game for X months I don't think anything else would work.

You can pop Hulks and they get buffed. You can pop hi sec freigthers and they'll get boosted or boomerang has been nerfed and you know how it goes.

You have to step down as a player and step up as accountant. CCP WANTS the hi sec subs. Only way to make them feel the pain is to make them aware YOUR subs are not a guarantee either.

This sounds like a trap.

We already try to not log in too much. Gotta give VFK some breathing room, you know.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#54 - 2012-06-21 08:59:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
Simi Kusoni wrote:

When you say that people would still do incursions, you realise a lot of people doing incursions were from null sec, low sec and wormholes right? So surely if your aim is to give those "living" in whs, low sec and null sec incentive to actually start living in their respective regions then a drop in activity was inevitable?

Thank you for answering to yourself.

Of course a part of incursioneers come / came from those places and exactly because the social aspect was neglected vs the ISK aspect.

What if an hi sec incursion provided ISK but a null incursion provided shiny BPCs that can only come from there?

ISK is one of the EvE currencies and CCP has wasted way too much time introducing ISK aspects everywhere instead of introducing other and subtler and *local unique* currencies.

0.0 is the "raw producer region"? Cool then have stuff that ONLY comes from there and not just moon goo but day by day stuff that everybody in 0.0 can harvest. So hi sec produces ISK, you produce good stuff that is worth that ISK, ISK comes to you (and not just the moon overlords).

This would also have an important side effect. For the first time, due to additional income not funneled down from the high spheres, even sov members could be able to raise their head and become more selective on which corp they join.

Corps would compete a bit more (no more "you are our servants, be glad we even accepted you") on the services they provide and the average 0.0 Joe could entertrain in those side activities.
If they also create structures to support side activities and reinforce manufacturing etc. then 0.0 could become much more worthwhile and fun to go there, even if you are not a pure pew pew lazors guy.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#55 - 2012-06-21 08:59:17 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

CCP wants subs period.

Since they have no exit survey they can't even begin to calculate how many people have quit out of boredom, that might not have done had the game gone down a different path.

I'm not going to pointlessly claim "I know a lot of people that...", but it is worth highlighting that when people quit CCP honestly very rarely have any idea why.

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2012-06-21 08:59:37 UTC
Xorv wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Edit: some examples of engineered content: make incursion communities get "badges" of some kind for their outstanding effort defending the empire[...]

Badges? Seriously? Incursions have never been about defending Empire, there would have to be some actual real threat to everyone in Empire for that to become a reality.

Yep, badges. Because the incursion runners were so loyal once it got nerfed down to around L4 levels or thereabouts. :v:

RIP Vile Rat

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#57 - 2012-06-21 09:03:01 UTC
Well their defense of empire was really helpful, as you can tell by how Sansha just took over all of highsec once they stopped doing - oh wait
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#58 - 2012-06-21 09:03:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Simi Kusoni
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Simi Kusoni wrote:

What if an hi sec incursion provided ISK but a null incursion provided shiny BPCs that can only come from there?

ISK is one of the EvE currencies and CCP has wasted way too much time introducing ISK aspects everywhere instead of introducing other and subtler and *local unique* currencies.

0.0 is the "raw producer region"? Cool then have stuff that ONLY comes from there and not just moon goo but day by day stuff that everybody in 0.0 can harvest. So hi sec produces ISK, you produce good stuff that is worth that ISK, ISK comes to you (and not just the moon overlords).

CCP have already stated that they'd like to move high, low and null into generating products unique to those regions.

IIRC it was faction loot for low, tech 2 products and high end industry for null and low end stuff for high. Needs citation though, it was a while back I heard it and knowing CCP it may have been merely a brainfart they never intend on seeing through.

Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Thank you for answering to yourself.

Of course a part of incursioneers come / came from those places and exactly because the social aspect was neglected vs the ISK aspect.

What?

Are you complaining that the social aspect of null sec was neglected, or the social aspect of incursions? Because it sounds like you're saying the social aspect of WHs and null sec doesn't exist.

I've done both, and I can tell you that there is no social aspect to incursions. Whereas the social aspect was the only reason I ever went out to null sec (I'm a low sec pirate at heart).

And of course people will go where the highest ISK for the lowest risk is, it's necessary in order to remain competitive.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#59 - 2012-06-21 09:04:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
Simi Kusoni wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

CCP wants subs period.

Since they have no exit survey they can't even begin to calculate how many people have quit out of boredom, that might not have done had the game gone down a different path.

I'm not going to pointlessly claim "I know a lot of people that...", but it is worth highlighting that when people quit CCP honestly very rarely have any idea why.

They do or did have that survey, I compiled it for every alt of mine when I quit 1 year ago.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#60 - 2012-06-21 09:06:12 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Xorv wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

Yep, badges. Because the incursion runners were so loyal once it got nerfed down to around L4 levels or thereabouts. :v:

If you can't add money (else a feature becomes overpowered) you add emotional value and social benefits. That's really it.