These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

How useful is a PLEX to a new player?

Author
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#21 - 2012-06-18 12:34:47 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
This. Nothing will destroy your eve experience quicker than rendering all your attainable goals meaningless.

People who have "make ISK" as a goal rather than a means to their goals are playing a very poor version of EVE Online.

You need to pick better goals.

I doubt Malc has that as a goal, what he meant was that any goals a newbie will have (first cruiser, first BC and all that good stuff) loses its magic if you got it without effort. And if EVE loses its magic all that's left is an annoying UI full features and severe balance issues.

Tevar
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2012-06-18 16:12:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Tevar
Beckie DeLey wrote:
Depends on what you wanna do.

If you are going into PVP, then PLEX are a way into losing more ships than you need to because you lack proper motivation to manage your resources. I think that losing ships and the resulting hurt to your wallet is a big part of 'the kick' that comes with PVP. Also, remember that bigger isn't better ;)

Personally, the whole selling Plex thing goes against every bone in my gaming body, however, I sure can't see a way to get to ever PVP when my mission ship is half my net worth and a level 4 missioning BS and fittings could be 2 or 3 times my net worth.

Could I pvp in frigates for a while... sure but, after 5 or so losses I'd be broke and unable to afford ammo to mission...
(went down this road with a corp a while back and wound up where I am now... broke trying to get L3's to pay for a BS)

not really sure how in gods name you can make it anymore starting out without a rich buddy or selling Plex... maybe I'll figure it out... maybe I'll move on to another game. Maybe if I was willing to buy and sell PLEX it would keep me here, but Im not really willing to so... I hope something works out soon, I'd really like to pvp someday... as it's the whole reason I want to play, but without some kind of income stream... that seems impossible...

Inflation has not been kind to newbz in eve. Here's to endless research and elbow grease and the hopes of finding an isk faucet to allow me to tank the inevitable loss fest pvp must be to start with.
Razzaar Tarlson
Fonking Bros Holding
#23 - 2012-06-18 20:05:09 UTC
I'm not particularly interested in PvP (I never have in MMOs), so loosing ships is not one of my concerns, and from what many people are saying, I can understand the idea of not farming ISK and such, and wanting to jump into the fun stuff instantly, but I feel things are more rewarding once you have worked for them.

I've had past experiences in MMOs such as WoW, when I was a noob, being excited at level 20 to learn cool new spells, getting a first mount, having to borrow 10g from my friend to afford a horse, ect. I've quit WoW now, but the start was one of the coolest experiences I have every had in a game. I think it would be an awful shame to miss out on something like that in a big MMO such as EvE, where there is an even larger learning curve (lets be honest here, WoW wasn't particularly hard).

Looks like I won't be getting a PLEX for a bit :)
Atreus Kadeyooh
Doomheim
#24 - 2012-06-30 11:31:37 UTC
In my POOV, PLEX is intended for adult people who have a real life and a real job (= they dont really want to have another job, a particularly boring one, in-game to raise funds to do something that is actually fun). Children and teenagers may have hours and hours daily to waste grinding every day, which is why making ISK is no biggy for them.

I bought my first PLEX a little too soon (+- 2 weeks into very casual playing). While it enabled me to buy a lot of skills and a wickedly geared BC to grind missions with, it also took away any motivation to log into the game while waiting for skill trainings to complete. Fortunately, I made a few trips into lowsec and got separated from my ISK fairly quickly.

I then spent some time chewing through the newbie content (which is basically doing the same 20 missions in EVE over and over into eternity, unless you decide to becomine a miner, at which point you should uninstall EVE and consult a therapist), which was quite enjoyable until I reached the point of braindead grind.

Right now (after +- 6 weeks of very casual gaming), Im about to buy more PLEX to fund my transition to battleships, to start doing FW and RvB, and to prevent me from salvaging, ratting and similar dull activities. It takes me about 20 minutes IRL to earn money for a PLEX (by doing my job that I actually enjoy), it saves me from tens of hours of repetitive grind (that I dont like and fail to understand how anyone else could), so its a good trade.

Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2012-06-30 11:52:50 UTC
Atreus Kadeyooh wrote:
In my POOV, PLEX is intended for adult people who have a real life and a real job (= they dont really want to have another job, a particularly boring one, in-game to raise funds to do something that is actually fun). Children and teenagers may have hours and hours daily to waste grinding every day, which is why making ISK is no biggy for them.

I bought my first PLEX a little too soon (+- 2 weeks into very casual playing). While it enabled me to buy a lot of skills and a wickedly geared BC to grind missions with, it also took away any motivation to log into the game while waiting for skill trainings to complete. Fortunately, I made a few trips into lowsec and got separated from my ISK fairly quickly.

I then spent some time chewing through the newbie content (which is basically doing the same 20 missions in EVE over and over into eternity, unless you decide to becomine a miner, at which point you should uninstall EVE and consult a therapist), which was quite enjoyable until I reached the point of braindead grind.

Right now (after +- 6 weeks of very casual gaming), Im about to buy more PLEX to fund my transition to battleships, to start doing FW and RvB, and to prevent me from salvaging, ratting and similar dull activities. It takes me about 20 minutes IRL to earn money for a PLEX (by doing my job that I actually enjoy), it saves me from tens of hours of repetitive grind (that I dont like and fail to understand how anyone else could), so its a good trade.

This is pure win. Playing for fun makes EVE better than playing to PLEX your account.

[i]"haiku are easy, But sometimes they don't make sense, Refrigerator."[/i]

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#26 - 2012-07-01 00:17:26 UTC
Unless you absolutely hate the activities that earn isk (missioning/mining/exploration) I wouldn't bother with selling PLEX, were I you.

However, buying PLEX and using them to add game time is a good way to make absolutely sure your credit card doesn't get added to recurring billing, if you care about that.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#27 - 2012-07-01 00:30:16 UTC
Vilnius Zar wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
This. Nothing will destroy your eve experience quicker than rendering all your attainable goals meaningless.

People who have "make ISK" as a goal rather than a means to their goals are playing a very poor version of EVE Online.

You need to pick better goals.

I doubt Malc has that as a goal, what he meant was that any goals a newbie will have (first cruiser, first BC and all that good stuff) loses its magic if you got it without effort.

Suggesting "buy your first cruiser" as a meaningful goal for a new player is setting them up for PvP aversion, because you are proposing the acquisition of items as a goal. Suggesting "get your first PvP kill" as a meaningful goal would be better, since the emphasis is on taking a risk and blowing someone else up.

Thus if making a boatload of ISK by surrendering a PLEX for ISK renders your goals meaningless, you need to set better goals. This includes Malcanis. Making ISK is not a goal, it is a step towards an end. A milestone, perhaps, or a reality of the consumption based economy. But making ISK is not a worthy goal. Perhaps a worthy goal might be "increase ISK earning capability". Or "scam someone for 1B ISK".

Do you see the difference? The ISK isn't the ends, it's the means.
Nathan Ernaga
Applesauce Brigade
#28 - 2012-07-01 08:01:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Nathan Ernaga
Not useful. You have money but no skills to use it wise. I know.

If you have in your hands the key to the fulfillment of your life's ambition and superiority over most, if you are aware that there is an absolute power on hand (just over the basic moral principles) how far are you willing to go and through what you are willing to tread?

Previous page12