These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

@CCP : Do not cave in to Goons on Inferno 1.1

First post First post
Author
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#61 - 2012-06-17 22:12:07 UTC
Is it true that when you see a triple post of trollish crap by a no-name npc corp alt, it's like the Mason secret handshake? It's the way little bee alts know who each other are in public.

Just a little more foil for the forum.

Mr Epeen Cool
Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#62 - 2012-06-17 23:19:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Constantine
knobber Jobbler wrote:
The allies mechanism is broken, look at it like this, goons could easily wardec done high sec corp and the entire cfc could pile in on that. In fact goons could wardec allot of people and get there coalition with 10's of thousands of members to become allies and completely destroy and high sec entity they wished. It works both ways.

Hardly - the 1.1 wardec system is massively stacked in favour of numbers pressed within the same alliance structure. Its "balanced" on numbers of discrete entities rather than numbers of pilots - hence the problem you allude to is only made worse because the CFC side of the wardec (defensively) only ever needs a couple of allies to add 15000 pilots to the dec.

Or to illustrate.

9000 people wardec 100. It costs them 50m per week. For the same money the defender can count on themselves, one free ally, 2nd ally for 10 per 2 weeks, 3rd ally for 20 per 2 weeks, 3rd ally for 40 per 2 weeks - and a 4th ally would mean they are paying more than the attacker is.

Whereas.

100 people wardec 9000. It costs them 500m per week. For the same money the defender can count on themselves, one free ally, 2nd ally for 10 per 2 weeks, 3rd ally for 20 per 2 weeks, 3rd ally for 40 per 2 weeks, 4th ally for 80 per 2 weeks, 5th ally for 160 per 2 weeks, 6th ally for 320 per 2 weeks, 7th ally for 640 per 2 weeks (would mean they are now paying more attacker.

Put simply the system means that a giant alliance can have twice as many allies as a smaller alliance before losing out on the financial balance of wardec costs. (or the bigger you are the more free allies you are allowed without paying more than the attacker).

The True Knowledge is that nothing matters that does not matter to you, might does make right and power makes freedom

No More Heroes
Boomer Humor
Snuffed Out
#63 - 2012-06-17 23:19:58 UTC
Gas thread and ban OP.

Freezehunter
#64 - 2012-06-17 23:22:55 UTC
No More Heroes wrote:
Gas thread and ban OP.

That's what I've been telling everyone...

Inappropriate signature, CCP Phantom.

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#65 - 2012-06-17 23:30:31 UTC
How many times does it have to be pointed out that GSF would declare war on literally every single corp in highsec if they could? I mean seriously, they don't give a flying crap.

The people who have been complaining about the ally system are people who actually live in highsec, don't have an 8000 man alliance and want to be able to declare wars without having every single highsec wardec corp instantly jump down their throat without having to pay for it.
Mortimer Civeri
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#66 - 2012-06-17 23:38:37 UTC
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw The Mittani talking to CCP Soundwave at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." Calvin

Rellik B00n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#67 - 2012-06-17 23:38:51 UTC
wait waht?

I ******* love the new system, whats this about changing it? linky plx?

I showed 3 friends with lapsed accounts the new system and they all talked about returning, please dont tell me it is already getting diluted?

this feels so right: a large group of disconnected groups uniting to fight a common enemy! This is bad for Eve how exactly?

This is how new alliances form - this is a possible escape from stagnation.

stick with what you have CCP it is fine as it is!
[Of a request for change ask: Who Benefits?](https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=199765)
Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#68 - 2012-06-18 00:04:03 UTC
Rellik B00n wrote:
wait waht?

I showed 3 friends with lapsed accounts the new system and they all talked about returning, please dont tell me it is already getting diluted?

this feels so right: a large group of disconnected groups uniting to fight a common enemy! This is bad for Eve how exactly?

It's basically getting nerfed to oblivion in just about every way you can imagine.

1. ally contracts restricted to 2 week slots with no auto renewal
2. no allies in mutual wars.
3. exponential cost for every ally that joins a war beyond the first. 10,20,40,80,160,320 etc ... 44 allies now costs something ridiculous like 20 sextillion or something.

The True Knowledge is that nothing matters that does not matter to you, might does make right and power makes freedom

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#69 - 2012-06-18 00:07:26 UTC
Rellik B00n wrote:

this feels so right: a large group of disconnected groups uniting to fight a common enemy!

lol what?
Alia Gon'die
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#70 - 2012-06-18 00:10:05 UTC
Jade Constantine wrote:
Rellik B00n wrote:
wait waht?

It's basically getting nerfed to oblivion in just about every way you can imagine.

3. exponential cost for every ally that joins a war beyond the first. 10,20,40,80,160,320 etc ... 44 allies now costs something ridiculous like 20 sextillion or something.

It sounds like it would be just so much cheaper to form an alliance. By the way...

So how did your "Epic Inferno Wardec Test, Sign up and shoot Goons for free!" thing work out for you? Is it going good? Did you get the results you wanted or are you going to have to formulate another test?

Self-appointed forums hallway monitor Ask me about La Maison and what it means for you! http://bit.ly/LTW5gW These wardec rules are not in place for our protection. They're in place for yours.

Alia Gon'die
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#71 - 2012-06-18 00:11:11 UTC
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
Rellik B00n wrote:

this feels so right: a large group of disconnected groups uniting to fight a common enemy!

lol what?

I think he's saying it feel like in a movie or something, where you have all these groups that don't care about each other banding together to fight a common enemy, then afterwards those groups go back to doing the same things they did before. In this case it's making money for the sake of having money.

Self-appointed forums hallway monitor Ask me about La Maison and what it means for you! http://bit.ly/LTW5gW These wardec rules are not in place for our protection. They're in place for yours.

Mortimer Civeri
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2012-06-18 00:12:45 UTC
Jade Constantine wrote:

1. Allies are not locked into a "foreverwar"
2. You made it mutual, so you can handle it on your own. Right? Otherwise wait a week for it to be over and they can't dec you for another week.
3. Choose your allies wisely, rather than having anybody with a pulse and can hit the F1 key join your little war.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." Calvin

Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#73 - 2012-06-18 00:18:29 UTC
Jade Constantine wrote:

43,980,465,111,040 ISK for 44 allies.

But it does not, as far as I am aware, limit the number of people each of those allies has in their corp. So you could have 44 allies, each with 6301 members in them, for a grand total of 277,244 people. When you look at it that way, the cost doesn't seem as ludicrous.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." Elim Garak.

Freezehunter
#74 - 2012-06-18 00:24:40 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:

But it does not, as far as I am aware, limit the number of people each of those allies has in their corp. So you could have 44 allies, each with 6301 members in them, for a grand total of 277,244 people. When you look at it that way, the cost doesn't seem as ludicrous.

Yeah, problem with your plan is that there aren't those many people actually playing Eve.

When 90% of the people I know have 5+ alts, you know that the actual Eve community is quite small.

Inappropriate signature, CCP Phantom.

Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#75 - 2012-06-18 00:32:11 UTC
Alia Gon'die wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:
Rellik B00n wrote:
wait waht?

It sounds like it would be just so much cheaper to form an alliance. By the way...

So how did your "Epic Inferno Wardec Test, Sign up and shoot Goons for free!" thing work out for you? Is it going good? Did you get the results you wanted or are you going to have to formulate another test?

Pretty successful test all in all. People seemed pretty happy to sign up to shoot goons, the wardec will end with a good level of success come inferno 1.1 (when all the allies get sent home) so :shrug: what else can you say.

Shepard Wong Ogeko
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#76 - 2012-06-18 00:39:17 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:

Going through all the ally notifications, and there are just a ridiculous amount under 10 member corporations. Lots of 3 member ones, which I bet are all characters on 1 person's account.

Again, I really don't care how the mechanics of wardecs work. Its kind of cool that Jade found a way to push the envelope on the current system, but the end result was just a billion personal tax dodging corps getting what amounts to a vanity wardec. They can say they went to war with the CFC for no effort or cost.

It would be cool if it really did get disparate groups to work together, but then again, those groups could just form an alliance and wardec as a single entity. But putting together an effective alliance is player made content, and we know most highsec dwellers have trouble grasping that idea.
Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#77 - 2012-06-18 00:41:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Cutter Isaacson
Freezehunter wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:

Yeah, problem with your plan is that there aren't those many people actually playing Eve.

When 90% of the people I know have 5+ alts, you know that the actual Eve community is quite small.

When you have been playing for 7 years you might also know that even back in 2010, there were over 300 thousand unique subscribers operating in excess of 700 thousand characters. So before you blindly quote numbers at people, make sure they aren't ones pulled from a bodily orifice.

Source: CCP Quarterly Economic Newsletter 2010 roll down to page 8, heading "Demographics" for the actual numbers.

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#78 - 2012-06-18 00:48:21 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
When you have been playing for 7 years you might also know that even back in 2010, there were over 300 thousand unique subscribers operating in excess of 700 thousand characters. So before you blindly quote numbers at people, make sure they aren't ones pulled from a bodily orifice.

Source: CCP Quarterly Economic Newsletter 2010 roll down to page 8, heading "Demographics" for the actual numbers.

"The current number of accounts is well over 340,000 and with the launch of Tyrannis in June account numbers have continued to increase into Q3 of 2010."

accounts, not individual players

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#79 - 2012-06-18 00:50:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Cutter Isaacson
Shepard Wong Ogeko wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:

Going through all the ally notifications, and there are just a ridiculous amount under 10 member corporations. Lots of 3 member ones, which I bet are all characters on 1 person's account.

Again, I really don't care how the mechanics of wardecs work. Its kind of cool that Jade found a way to push the envelope on the current system, but the end result was just a billion personal tax dodging corps getting what amounts to a vanity wardec. They can say they went to war with the CFC for no effort or cost.

It would be cool if it really did get disparate groups to work together, but then again, those groups could just form an alliance and wardec as a single entity. But putting together an effective alliance is player made content, and we know most highsec dwellers have trouble grasping that idea.

Agreed, it is unlikely that high sec dwellers could ever manage to put together an even remotely stable alliance. But the thing they need to understand is that war should not be cost or effort free, as I'm pretty certain that it is not a cost or effort free exercise to maintain an alliance as huge as Goonswarm.

A balance must be found, and whilst I initially raged about the changes to the system I have taken the time to research it a little further and spend some time dwelling on the reason for, and impact of, those changes. If only more people did as I have done, there would be a lot less rage around here.

Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#80 - 2012-06-18 00:51:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Constantine
Shepard Wong Ogeko wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:

Problem is there is no effective way to secure an alliance of disparate groups against infiltration and alliance disband which is surely what would happen. Until CCP spend some programming effort giving us configuration options on how we want to run alliances to specific purposes (for example a hisec mass wardec alliance would not be run or configured to work the same way as a tight 4-5 corp lowsec pirate alliance) then its not going to be a very feasible project.

For example, if we wanted to move our current 46 allies over into a single alliance shell that could join the goon wardec for free (assuming for a moment that we don't count the 6-7 actual alliances that are allied) then we'd need to create an additional 46 alt corps (for a total of 92 member corps) simply to ensure that the alliance is not disbanded by infiltration. Since each alt corp needs at least one account in it to stay functional and click the support button thats a minimum of 16 accounts devoted purely to anti infiltration technqiues and is quite a ridiculous length to go to simply to continue what we have already.

The alliance structure would cost 1b isk to set up, 16 trial accounts full of alts, and 200m a month maintenance fee. With an additional one account full of alts per 3 additional members (+6 maintenance per month.)

Very quickly running this kind of thing would become a full time job which is quite the disproportionate :effort: to go to when opposing a dec of 50m per week and a couple of dozen random stealth bombers at trade hubs.

As always with the type of grand vision suggested by the poster above - Eve makes things far more complicated than it needs to be.