These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ships and fits for a noob running level 2 missions

Author
Razzaar Tarlson
Fonking Bros Holding
#1 - 2012-06-17 09:42:33 UTC
So, I'm a pretty new player, and I am currently using a cormorant to run level 2 missions, which is less than ideal. I have been just getting by, occasionally having to warp out of the encounter and in again, but I haven't died once yet, and I use the ship to salvage stuff afterwards. However, after getting stuck in the mission 'The Blockade', which involves sending huge waves of total kick-your-ass enemies, I am now thinking of upgrading my ship. My question is - should I go for a cruiser, which costs 5-10mil, or should I save up for one of the bigger battlecruisers. Keep in mind I have only 30mil (I've been playing and getting to grips with the game for 8 days now).

My thinking behind this is that the battlecruiser will be useful in level 2 and level 3 missions, whilst the cruiser will only be useful in level 2 missions., perhaps some early level 3 missions. I'm a caldari player, so I would prefer to buy caldari ships.

One further thing. I have barely any (if any) rocket and missile skills, and have instead gone for turret skills so far. I've been using 125mm railguns on my cormorant for running these missions, so one further question is how much better are rocket/missiles over hybrid turrets.

IMO, the ferox has looked pretty promising, and it is something I can afford (but not fly yet, training for that Smile).

Any advice for a noob running level 2 missions in a crappy ol' cormorant? Some advice on ships and recommened fits would be greatly appreciated!
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#2 - 2012-06-17 10:08:12 UTC
the caracal is pretty damn awesome for some level 2 missions. it is what I used till I could afford my drake and move up to level 3 missions. sadly it is missiles. imo railguns on caldari boats just don't work all that great for missions. I'd rather have straight up damage bonuses rather than bonuses for range. Ferox looks like it could work but the drake will have a better tank, and do more damage out to lock range.

[Caracal, low skill]
Ballistic Control System II

Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
10MN Afterburner II

Prototype 'Arbalest' Rapid Light Missile Launcher, Scourge Light Missile

Medium Core Defense Field Purger I

Hornet I x2

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Razzaar Tarlson
Fonking Bros Holding
#3 - 2012-06-17 11:51:19 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
the caracal is pretty damn awesome for some level 2 missions. it is what I used till I could afford my drake and move up to level 3 missions. sadly it is missiles. imo railguns on caldari boats just don't work all that great for missions. I'd rather have straight up damage bonuses rather than bonuses for range. Ferox looks like it could work but the drake will have a better tank, and do more damage out to lock range.

[Caracal, low skill]

10MN Afterburner II

Hornet I x2

Ok, thanks for the setup, I wasn't thinking of the caracal, I might give it a go. I suppose the drake would be a better mission runner than the ferox anyways.

Thanks again :)
Orlacc
#4 - 2012-06-17 16:58:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Orlacc
Razzaar Tarlson wrote:
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:

[Caracal, low skill]

10MN Afterburner II

Hornet I x2

Ok, thanks for the setup, I wasn't thinking of the caracal, I might give it a go. I suppose the drake would be a better mission runner than the ferox anyways.

Thanks again :)

Caracal is fine.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-06-17 20:38:00 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
[Caracal, low skill]

confirming good fit. if you like missiles, aim for the drake for lvl3s and later tengu or raven for lvl4s.

I should buy an Ishtar.