These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Up to 5 years jail and a hefty fine for botting in South Korea

Author
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-06-16 23:21:34 UTC
Maxpie wrote:
ThisIsntMyMain wrote:
sabre906 wrote:
And I know someone who got punched by roommate for ganking him. Should actions not have consequences?

They do. In this case the roommate is guilty of assault and could expect a criminal conviction and fine for throwing the first punch.

How about just punch him back and say "wtf is wrong with you, dude?"

Perhaps he's a weakling who compensates for irl inadequacies in internet spaceship form?Big smile
Degren
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-06-16 23:31:32 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
Azahni Vah'nos wrote:
Plex is one item in EVE that has a definative real world value already.

Take a PLEX out of the game if you can, and bring it to your friend down the road - and ask them how much it's actually worth. Considering you can buy them readily enough for real-life cash, and yet you cannot legally sell them on, it would suggest to me that their alue outside of the game is negligible.

It's like you're suggesting value is objective and tangible.

Life spoilers incoming...

Hello, hello again.

Frederick Sanger
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2012-06-17 00:38:54 UTC
Viral marketing for SNSD's new album.
Gaktern Flagg
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#24 - 2012-06-17 01:29:39 UTC
Seems stupid, but that's a dictatorship for you. Oh wait I forgot it's called The Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Having "democratic" in the name makes it a democracy right? :D
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2012-06-17 01:36:05 UTC
Gaktern Flagg wrote:
Seems stupid, but that's a dictatorship for you. Oh wait I forgot it's called The Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Having "democratic" in the name makes it a democracy right? :D

That's North Korea, genius. The law mentioned was from South Korea.Roll
ACE McFACE
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2012-06-17 01:54:58 UTC
Gaktern Flagg wrote:

Nice one

Now, more than ever, we need a dislike button.

Tony Two Bullet
Monocle Madness
#27 - 2012-06-17 02:01:30 UTC

You know that says a lot about South Korea.

The people who signed that into law must be totally insane about MMO gaming!

Just as insane as Monocle Madness is. Bear
Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#28 - 2012-06-17 02:04:27 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
sabre906 wrote:
And I know someone who got punched by roommate for ganking him. Should actions not have consequences?

wait are you trying to say that getting punched IRL is a reasonable consequence for ganking somebody in eve

It might be.

Quote:
you're aware that EVE is actually a game right?

This entire topic is based on the idea that games, and game objects, have worth, though that worth can be difficult to define. You also seem to be ignoring the social component of the situation. Having a random person that you have never and will never meet blow up your spaceship won't illicit the same reaction as having a real world friend do so.

Let's imagine some scenarios:
1. I buy a Plex for $30, get a fancy new spaceship with it, show it to a friend, and they blow it up in game.
2. I pull out $30, my friend takes it from me, and rips it up.

1. I mine/haul/run missions for 10 hours to get the ISK to buy a new spaceship, show it to my friend, and they blow it up in game.
2. I work on a drawing for 10 hours, show it to my friend, and they tear it up and throw it away.

How are these situations equivalent? How are they different? Why is it we value or react to similar things in different ways?

If we say 'it's just a game,' that's a bit intellectually lazy. It must matter on some level, otherwise people wouldn't put their time and money into it. I doubt EVE would have lasted for 9 years if the majority of players found no meaning in it.

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#29 - 2012-06-17 02:21:39 UTC
Maxpie wrote:
ThisIsntMyMain wrote:
sabre906 wrote:

They do. In this case the roommate is guilty of assault and could expect a criminal conviction and fine for throwing the first punch.

Hitting is one of those things where opinions and attitudes vary wildly. I've known guys for whom drinking and getting into fist fights was a typical Saturday night. I know people for whom a slap across the face is a form of assault that demands legal intervention and repercussions.

It doesn't help that American culture loves violence as entertainment but sometimes goes nanny state due to regional politics.

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Conrad Makbure
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-06-17 02:23:14 UTC
Maxpie wrote:
ThisIsntMyMain wrote:
sabre906 wrote:

This. If that guy is such a pussy he has to even consider filing some assault charge, he deserves to get punched.
Venri Zod
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2012-06-17 13:08:50 UTC
Confirming that MMO's are indeed serious business.
Previous page12