These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The day the door opens.

Author
Nirnias Stirrum
UberWTFBBQ and Battle Technologies
#41 - 2012-06-12 09:40:29 UTC
Only time iv seen CQ was when it decided to turn itself on randomly when i dock in a station... I have never and will never consciously turn it on.
Gerald Taric
NEO DYNAMICS
#42 - 2012-06-12 09:43:35 UTC
The day "the door" opens ...

i will go through and have a look, what has been added to the game, which might be worth using it.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2012-06-12 10:07:47 UTC
Emination of Haxti wrote:
Don't be confused, focus.

That sounds like a movie line. :D

Quote:
What would happen in this totally different environment, and what would it have to do with EVE?

As what comes to FPS in New Eden, it's called Dust 514.

People will be able to open up bars. Play games on tables. It's a social thing.
Then there's the other things CCP talked about, like smuggling.

Saying that this isn't meaningful and that they need to redesign the whole game simply
shows your ignorance about the bigger scheme behind it. It also shows that ->

You don't know. Just like I don't know.
That's the whole point.

In any way, it's obvious that they do not have to change the space part at all.
They wouldn't get away with it anyway, but gladly there's no reason to.
Emination of Haxti
Descendant Command
#44 - 2012-06-12 10:19:38 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

People will be able to open up bars. Play games on tables. It's a social thing.
Then there's the other things CCP talked about, like smuggling.

Smuggling happens in space, no? Also, I thought social thing already happens, in chat channels and on voice comms. How would a bar change this?

Quote:
Saying that this isn't meaningful and that they need to redesign the whole game simply
shows your ignorance about the bigger scheme behind it. It also shows that ->

You don't know. Just like I don't know.
That's the whole point.

I base my claim on the fact that this game rotates around spaceship combat between player organisations, and it's hard to see how walking in stations would add anything to this, unless it becomes a full-blown FPS required to take over POSes and stations. Which is unlikely to happen outside Dust 2.0.

Quote:
In any way, it's obvious that they do not have to change the space part at all.
They wouldn't get away with it anyway, but gladly there's no reason to.

Space part is everything there is currently. Resources are consumed and gathered in space, only things done exclusively in station like trading, insurance, ship repair etc are tasks that don't benefit from avatar interface at all. So how to add a new area, without making changes to space part?

Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#45 - 2012-06-12 10:25:55 UTC
"The day the door opens."

I'll take a fresh updated clone with no implants and no pants, take a walk to see how it looks like wow in space and try to get some quests and kill rabbits for a change, then will close the door and probably not get back because my space ship can't joint me at the party with orcs night elves dwarfs and gnomes.

brb

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2012-06-12 10:26:21 UTC
So how to add a new area, without making changes to space part?

Simply by adding it. What's really irritating is that people like you actually care,
although it doesn't even affect them in the slightest.

The "it draws away devs from the real game" argument doesn't work anymore.

Again:
You don't know, hence all your talking is only wasting your time.
You have no idea about it, hence speculation is useless too.
I don't have any either, but i'm not even thinking about it.

I like my internet spaceships, but i don't mind having more people in game.
Even if they are just running around in stations. They have to undock too, if they wanna get around ...

And most of them will be stupid enough to autopilot, because they don't care about the spaceship part.

See it this way: It generates conflicts between people. Conflict is good, thus, WiS is good ! :D
(now that's some logic xD)
Emination of Haxti
Descendant Command
#47 - 2012-06-12 10:39:45 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
So how to add a new area, without making changes to space part?

Simply by adding it. What's really irritating is that people like you actually care,
although it doesn't even affect them in the slightest.

The "it draws away devs from the real game" argument doesn't work anymore.

Adding what, is still the question. Don't get so easily irritated by your logic my carings don't affect you in the slightest. I'm obviously interested about new game features in EVE, like everyone else. WiS turned out to be a dud, so why not abandon it and focus on adding something relevant to EVE, and continue improving all the stuff that desperately needs it?

Quote:
Again:
You don't know, hence all your talking is only wasting your time.
You have no idea about it, hence speculation is useless too.
I don't have any either, but i'm not even thinking about it.

Don't worry about my time, and don't lie about not thinking about it. You post in this thread, after all.

Can't you accept the fact that nobody on this planet has any idea about EVE WiS at the moment? CCP has repeatedly told that their prime concern with WiS at the moment is to come up with ideas about meaningful gameplay.

Quote:
I like my internet spaceships, but i don't mind having more people in game.
Even if they are just running around in stations. They have to undock too, if they wanna get around ...

And most of them will be stupid enough to autopilot, because they don't care about the spaceship part.

See it this way: It generates conflicts between people. Conflict is good, thus, WiS is good ! :D
(now that's some logic xD)

Why would it bring more players than adding new kind of FiS features? What does it benefit to have more players online, if they are not doing anything relevant to current EVE?

I'd assume these people would stay forever in hisec, so not much possibilities for conflict either.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2012-06-12 11:03:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Adding what, is still the question. Don't get so easily irritated by your logic my carings don't affect you in the slightest. I'm obviously interested about new game features in EVE, like everyone else. WiS turned out to be a dud, so why not abandon it and focus on adding something relevant to EVE, and continue improving all the stuff that desperately needs it?

As i said ... i have no idea. Don't see the need to abandon it, though.
That would just mean that CCP will never reach their final goal of a full fledged scifi game.
Stations simply are a part of that. Walking around in them is, thus, a necessity.

Quote:
Don't worry about my time, and don't lie about not thinking about it. You post in this thread, after all.

I meant to say that usually, i don't think about it.

Quote:
Can't you accept the fact that nobody on this planet has any idea about EVE WiS at the moment? CCP has repeatedly told that their prime concern with WiS at the moment is to come up with ideas about meaningful gameplay.

Sure i can. Never said anything different. I also (see above) don't waste my time thinking about it.

Quote:
Why would it bring more players than adding new kind of FiS features? What does it benefit to have more players online, if they are not doing anything relevant to current EVE?

I'd assume these people would stay forever in hisec, so not much possibilities for conflict either.

Uhm ... seriously ?
Because there are plenty of people that like to walk around with their Barbies and Kens. Much more, than people who
like to fly around in spaceships. At least, that's what i think ... simply because of so many Barbie-and-Ken games.

There's plenty of conflict in highsec ... no idea where you live.
Last time i checked the map, Inferno has turned the empire parts of the map into a huge pile of huge orange dots,
regarding shipkills in the last 24h. Haven't checked today, but there's no reason to believe it's different now.

Maybe i'll check after DT. Doesn't matter. I saw plenty of fights happening already.
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2012-06-12 11:08:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Kidd
I'll spend 2 minutes exploring the entirety of the new content that many have waited years to experience and then go back to playing the game.

If you doubt this statement please refer to the 30s of content released on the first iteration of WiS after years of anticipation. But, I've not doubt that we'll get at least 400% more content next time.

I say 30s of content because that's how long it took to walk from the pod to the CQ. Once there you're pretty much done. I don't count the exploration of every nook and cranny to find something to do in the CQ, which there wasn't, to be content since replayability was a categorical 0. I mean, how many times can you entertain yourself looking at the poorly placed mirror. In fact, the only saving grace for the mirror was that it was so horribly placed as to give you 2 - 3 minutes of something to do while you attempted to position the camera such that you could actually examine yourself.

Don't ban me, bro!

Wu Jiaqiu
#50 - 2012-06-12 11:11:30 UTC
Gamble and play that board game. :D
Emination of Haxti
Descendant Command
#51 - 2012-06-12 11:23:55 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

As i said ... i have no idea. Don't see the need to abandon it, though.
That would just mean that CCP will never reach their final goal of a full fledged scifi game.
Stations simply are a part of that. Walking around in them is, thus, a necessity.

True, in order to have a complete scifi world, you would need a dynamic world, orbital flight, landing on planets and interacting with NPCs etc as well as walking in stations. Stations, out of these, are just the most difficult ones to implement in any meaningful way, the actions performed in them are already done with the existing interface. CQ is a proof that interaction via an avatar is just more cumbersome.

Quote:
Uhm ... seriously ?
Because there are plenty of people that like to walk around with their Barbies and Kens. Much more, than people who
like to fly around in spaceships. At least, that's what i think ... simply because of so many Barbie-and-Ken games.

Yeah, seriously. Is the reason really the Barbies and Kens, or something else, like for example fantasy-theme or a known, commercial brand product turned into an MMO? I personally find the whole avatar idea counter-intuitive as a method to control in-game events or communicate, it really makes sense in combat situations between the characters. Anything else, and you'll be either writing in chat, or interacting with UI.

Would your Barbiefans enjoy EVE-style combat in stations, where you could be suicide ganked any time? What about the skill tree required to for avatar gameplay?

Quote:
There's plenty of conflict in highsec ... no idea where you live.
Last time i checked the map, Inferno has turned the empire parts of the map into a huge pile of huge orange dots,
regarding shipkills in the last 24h. Haven't checked today, but there's no reason to believe it's different now.

Maybe i'll check after DT. Doesn't matter. I saw plenty of fights happening already.

Ok, can't argue with that, sounds good! I live in w-space and haven't spent time in hisec lately.

Anyway, I'd focus on improving the world outside stations first.
Adeena Torcfist
Right Hand Of The Legion.
#52 - 2012-06-12 11:24:24 UTC
im going to walk through that door. & ill probably end up in a corporation meeting room. & inside "that" room, ill be presented with 2 more doors.

The bar, & an airlock.

Must admit, i do want the door opening up to something soon, & get it over & done with.
Acot Voth
State War Academy
Caldari State
#53 - 2012-06-12 14:45:48 UTC
"See it this way: It generates conflicts between people. Conflict is good, thus, WiS is good ! :D
(now that's some logic xD)"

I agree, current players are so afraid of new players they aren't seeing them as a resource. These newblings are there for the manipulating, using, and taking. They will inject new blood and a pile of new opportunities to EVE.

I understand that everyone is worried about losing the game they love to main stream theme parkers but Eve has a few systems to keep everything in check. First, of it's very hard and complex which (evolution dictates) instantly removes a large portion of bad players. Second, if things got really out of line people like The Mitanni will implement systems to get them back to where they need to be. 10,000,000 for every 10 newbs you kill? A new blood vs old blood war? Third, as CCP has shown us they are not above admitting a mistake and working hard to right the wrong. Anything that is done, can be undone, it just takes time.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#54 - 2012-06-12 15:22:46 UTC
I'm going to the auction house to ask for enchantments.... oh

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#55 - 2012-06-12 15:44:37 UTC
Crash to desktop, because I am on Linux and the CQ is buggy through Wine.
Patient 2428190
DEGRREE'Fo'FREE Internet Business School
#56 - 2012-06-12 16:04:07 UTC
How am I supposed to know what I will be doing in 7 years?
Aeril Malkyre
Knights of the Ouroboros
#57 - 2012-06-12 16:41:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Aeril Malkyre
I will head through immediately, exploring the station environments.

If it's awesome and/or useful, I will incorporate it at some level with my current gameplay.
If it's terrible, I will head for my hangar, board my ship, and never bother with it until something else changes.

Pretty simple. People decrying the concept of WiS in totality are missing what it could mean for the game. With a fully functional station environment and Dust integration, EvE could become the most cohesive and expansive sci-fi environment sim ever. That's what the devs want to get to. An entire universe where space, station, and surface can all be accessed and exploited. Narrow minded people want their space game 'pure', but it's not called Spaceships Online for a reason. It's EvE Online, and it can be bigger because of that.

Not saying their implementation hasn't been painful and heavy handed, but the idea of what it could be if they get it right is staggering.
Cloned S0ul
POCKOCMOC Inc.
#58 - 2012-06-12 17:17:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Cloned S0ul
" The day the door opens "

1800 pilots in jita simultaneously enter big j4m4 hall, but they become part of irony they wont see other players... everyone become supreme overlord and owner of this station while walking around ghosts.

Second option, vacuum suck everone into abyss.

Here is no future for WIS with multiple characters or corp mates generated simultaneously, because client barely handle one room with one character.
oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#59 - 2012-06-12 17:23:03 UTC
Aeril Malkyre wrote:
I will head through immediately, exploring the station environments.

If it's awesome and/or useful, I will incorporate it at some level with my current gameplay.
If it's terrible, I will head for my hangar, board my ship, and never bother with it until something else changes.

Pretty simple. People decrying the concept of WiS in totality are missing what it could mean for the game. With a fully functional station environment and Dust integration, EvE could become the most cohesive and expansive sci-fi environment sim ever. That's what the devs want to get to. An entire universe where space, station, and surface can all be accessed and exploited. Narrow minded people want their space game 'pure', but it's not called Spaceships Online for a reason. It's EvE Online, and it can be bigger because of that.

Not saying their implementation hasn't been painful and heavy handed, but the idea of what it could be if they get it right is staggering.

+1

To bad there are a lot of short sighted afraid of change type of people in this community .
It can not be something else.
The crew that handles the WIS part of this great game is made of only a few devs.
so ,why are there stil so many against it,they have what they want ,the most part of the devs working on spaceflight
That is ,if they are at work with WIS ,Team Avatar is silent lately,very silent.

R.S.I2014

TexasFire
Texas Deep Space
#60 - 2012-06-12 18:41:56 UTC
Make the door open on April 1st.

The clone is sucked into space and you die!

Would be one of the great April fool jokes of all time.