These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Trading and hauling

Author
Sasha Matu
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-06-08 11:18:47 UTC
Last few weeks I've been gathering info about markets, trading, hauling and read a lot on these forums and was wondering one last thing.

When does a ganker consider you a target? I know never to fly what you can't afford to lose and an align time as fast as possible minimizes the window of opportunity. But at how much isk worth of goods in relation to the EHP of your ship and the bulk of the cargo does it become profittable to gank my ship?

Im starting off with my trading using a Mammoth after which im scaling up to a Orca and/or Freighter. I'm not asking for fitting advice, they're there purely to give an idea of EHP.

Last thing. Does the kind of cargo matter for a ganker? Low volume and high value are more interesting then high volume low value items I reckon. But are certain items highly sought after or doesn't it matter a whole lot?

Thank you for your feedback.
Johnny Frecko
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-06-08 11:36:54 UTC
There's no formula.
Knowing the ships that are used to gank is important.

For example if you're carrying 100M worth of goods, it's unlikely that a tornado will gank you.
as you have a high chance of dropping less than your goods, resulting in his loss.
Plus it's not worth the hassle of getting another ship and everything.

A catalyst on the other hand might be very happy to gank you. however ganking destroyers are less common.

don't carry anything too pricy i guess? :)
Sasha Matu
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-06-08 12:19:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Sasha Matu
Well if you're ganking to make a profit there must be a point where you decide that's it worth getting blown up for.

If you want to blow up say a orca with a certain EHP you need to bring enough dps to bear before getting blown up by Concord. If the ganking ship costs more than you could possibly earn from my cargo, then I'm at least "safe" from smart gankers.

Griefers are gonne grieve and the world is filled with dumb people, I'm just trying to minimalize the risk. I know I can't mitigate it entirely. Hell I don't even want to, that's what makes Eve fun.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#4 - 2012-06-08 12:21:10 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Roughly speaking, figure out how much it will cost to gank you.
If the expected value of what you will drop (half the value of your fittings+cargo) is higher than the cost of ganking you, you run some risk of being ganked for profit. The amount of risk depends on your route, AP vs Manual piloting, and the absolute amount by which your expected drop exceeds the cost of ganking you.

BTW: The Orca's Corp hangars are unscannable and don't drop loot.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Sasha Matu
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-06-08 12:26:26 UTC
That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out : What does it cost to gank a mammoth, orca or freighter Smile

The reason why I'm in a hauler in the first place is because I'm not a combat pilot, so got little experience in ganking. And was hoping for some rough numbers to keep in mind when filling my hold.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#6 - 2012-06-08 12:33:31 UTC
Sasha Matu wrote:
That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out : What does it cost to gank a mammoth, orca or freighter Smile

Well, now that you're asking the right question, I'll give you a better answer:

It depends.

Quote:

The reason why I'm in a hauler in the first place is because I'm not a combat pilot, so got little experience in ganking. And was hoping for some rough numbers to keep in mind when filling my hold.

If you want to be good at your chosen profession, you're going to need to learn at least the basics of any activity that affects your own. Look up common gank fits on places like EvE-Kill, Battleclinic, and Failheap; try to figure out what the cheapest way to gank your ship is (using the EHP you find in your fitting program), and do some simple math.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Andy DelGardo
#7 - 2012-06-08 13:24:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy DelGardo
Sasha Matu wrote:

Get to the Orca, put any valuable stuff in the Corp hangar. Install a DCU2 and Bulks in the low slots, while using 1xEM, 3xAdap [UPDATED].

The orca is the most special transport ship, since u can't cargo scan the corp bays, even more important even if u get destroyed nothing from the corp/ore/ship special hangars will drop, only from the normal cargo bay.
This effectively means, that u will only considered as a target in hi-sec, if u pissed off some player/corps or someone contracted a merc to kill u, since it makes no sense at all to attack an orca if the normal cargo-bay has no valuable stuff in it.

This orca fit btw, will have around 230-290EHP, this means u need 12-30 ships that have around 1000 dmg/s avg. in hi-sec.

For any other ship simply consider this, a well fitted tornado will alpha for 10-14k now keep in mind that u only get shot once in 0.7+ sec systems, while u can get shot twice in 0.5-0.6. Now check what a tornado cost and get a feeling for how many tornado's u see at gates. This means u should at least get 16k+ EHP, since u can't do this with most indy haulers its always risky. So your best bet is the orca or a blockade runner. U can use freighters if the cargo is to huge for a orca, but u can still scan a freighter and the freighter will also always drop stuff.

TIP1: Orca rules in hi-sec
TIP2: fully tanked T2 command BC, since u can get 900k EHP (still low crago hold)
TIP3: Contract containers with shiny stuff from an alt to your main and put a ****-load of dummy crap/salvage stuff in your cargo. Thats because the scanner will only show the container inside a contract and not its content, the dummy stuff is simply to conceal the container better in those few seconds a "pirate" has to make his decision. Be aware that for cheap indy haulers, they may always consider that a visible container does mean shiny loot. The idea is that they still cant be 100% sure, so if u haul over the gank limit, its still better to do this from a psychological standpoint.

bye Andy
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#8 - 2012-06-08 13:31:52 UTC
Andy DelGardo wrote:

Get to the Orca, put any valuable stuff in the Corp hangar. Install a DCU2 and Bulks in the low slots, while using 1xEM, 1xAdap and 1x XL new shield boosters.

Active tank. Roll

Sasha Matu
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-06-08 14:01:56 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Andy DelGardo wrote:

Get to the Orca, put any valuable stuff in the Corp hangar. Install a DCU2 and Bulks in the low slots, while using 1xEM, 1xAdap and 1x XL new shield boosters.

Active tank. Roll

That was my first thought as well but how long does the tank have to last? Was planning on passive tanking anyway, but hey while im asking anyway :)
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#10 - 2012-06-08 14:06:49 UTC
^^

Buffer tank. Always Buffer tank. (in this situation).

Your goal is (in high-sec) to survive until Concord arrived. An Active tank won't help you survive massive alpha. A buffer will. So, LSEs and hardeners.

And don't autopilot. that's asking to be killed.

Hell, just not autopiloting means you're less likely to be ganked.

(Blockade runner with a cloak and 2 nanos is pretty much the way to travel with cargo. Or an covopps if it's /really/ small)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#11 - 2012-06-08 14:14:20 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Steve Ronuken wrote:
^^

Buffer tank. Always Buffer tank. (in this situation).

Your goal is (in high-sec) to survive until Concord arrived. An Active tank won't help you survive massive alpha. A buffer will. So, LSEs and hardeners.

And don't autopilot. that's asking to be killed.

Hell, just not autopiloting means you're less likely to be ganked.

(Blockade runner with a cloak and 2 nanos is pretty much the way to travel with cargo. Or an covopps if it's /really/ small)

Generally the Gankproofness for small, valuable cargo is roughly
Orca(CorpHangar Only) > Damnation w/ MWD Cloak > BLOPS (instawarp on decloak) > Force Recon/Cloaky T3 > CovOps/BR > Else

Orca: If they don't know it's there, you won't get ganked (might fill the cargo with assorted HS mins of low total value)
Damnation: ~1m EHP (1.7m v Quake), Troll the gankers, letting them see the goodies. Hope they try without scanning your fit.
BLOPS: Big Tank, effectively warps cloakd (for HS purposes, since seeing it approach isn't helpful) Also lets you jump to LS near destination, cutting time
Recon: Cloaky Warp, Good align, Good Shield EHP (fit for Tank)
Covops: Oh God, the Smartbombs

Sasha Matu
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-06-08 14:16:12 UTC
I'm not using a cloaky hauler because I want to trade in bulk. Besides hauling in hi sec with a orca is prefectly plausible as long you don't put too much eggs in one basket. High profit = high risk. So I wanna maximize my profit while keeping the risk below the treshold of being a juicy target.

Did try to find ganked orca kills but only found one kill (which probably is a WT kill and not a gank) on eve-kill.net (nice site btw) and none on Battleclinic. Does anyone have a kill to share?
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#13 - 2012-06-08 14:19:42 UTC
Sasha Matu wrote:
I'm not using a cloaky hauler because I want to trade in bulk. Besides hauling in hi sec with a orca is prefectly plausible as long you don't put too much eggs in one basket. High profit = high risk. So I wanna maximize my profit while keeping the risk below the treshold of being a juicy target.

Did try to find ganked orca kills but only found one kill (which probably is a WT kill and not a gank) on eve-kill.net (nice site btw) and none on Battleclinic. Does anyone have a kill to share?

For Bulk, you want the freighter. Just figure out how much isk you're willing to pack into it (based on gank profit).

The Orca's security is that it can move 40k m3 in it's corp hangar that nobody can see.

Sasha Matu
Doomheim
#14 - 2012-06-08 14:27:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Sasha Matu
Red Frog is using a basic rule of thumb of 1 bill Isk worth of goods. So I was goign to use that as a basis. But I was interested in the mechanics behind it. That and the field has changed with the coming of tier 3 BC's.

Besides the pro's a freighter, offers the Orca me more utility and I'm not rich enough nor planning on making enough Isk to earn the investment back to go and buy both ships.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#15 - 2012-06-08 14:35:44 UTC
Sasha Matu wrote:
Red Frog is using a basic rule of thumb of 1 bill Isk worth of goods. So I was goign to use that as a basis. But I was interested in the mechanics behind it. That and the field has changed with the coming of tier 3 BC's.

Besides the pro's a freighter, offers the Orca me more utility and I'm not rich enough nor planning on making enough Isk to earn the investment back to go and buy both ships.

The t3 BCs coincided with the insurance nerf. The cost of ganking is up from before that patch, especially with the increase in mineral price.

Johnny Frecko
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-06-08 14:37:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Johnny Frecko
Errr to answer your question in the most decisive manner

A tornado does a horrible amount of damage. to do what you should've done, here's your work for you:
http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/57442-12461-Alpha-Gank-Tornado.html

That's 12,000 alpha from a less than 100M ship.

Now, you take your ehp. for example of the mammoth. if you're awesome you can get it to 12K ehp.
(T2 rigs, faction stuff, expensive as hell)
and no that will not stop a tornado.

There isn't a "ratio" of EHP to ISK that makes you more gankable.
there's only the cost of the ganker and the rewards he gets.

Some gankers will kill you for 10M profit, others won't bother for anything below 50M. some will do it for fun.

So to answer your questions:
Being ganked by a tornado is the most common form of gank due to insane alpha.
Mammoth - cost to gank around 90M
Orca - cost to gank if properly fitted - around 1.5-2 Billion.(250-290K ehp)
Freighter - cost to gank - around 1.5 billion.

so.. yea, hope it helps.

edit; Assuming you have hull upgrades V and mechanic V

edit #2;
If you want to maximize your profit and reduce risk to zero, you can always put a public courier contract. Most of them get filled within a day or two for minimal pay and reasnoble collateral.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#17 - 2012-06-08 14:43:42 UTC
Johnny Frecko wrote:

edit #2;
If you want to maximize your profit and reduce risk to zero, you can always put a public courier contract. Most of them get filled within a day or two for minimal pay and reasnoble collateral.

This. If you need it in more of a hurry, Push or Red Frog can be good, depending on their queue's.

Andy DelGardo
#18 - 2012-06-08 15:25:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy DelGardo
RubyPorto wrote:

Active tank. Roll

wrong math, my bad.
Johnny Frecko
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-06-08 15:29:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Johnny Frecko
20 seconds until concord arrives?

what?
is that in lowsec?

you're going to get ganked by 15-20 tornados.
Depends on the sec-system they'll get one shot, as if they're loaded with 1400mm's they won't get another shot.
meaning that the fight won't last 20 seconds, it'll last 5 more likely.

that's if anyone's silly enough to gank an orca.
Andy DelGardo
#20 - 2012-06-08 15:37:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy DelGardo
updated, to correct math see next posts.
12Next page